Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast

Thread: New Multi-Threaded Pi Program - Faster than SuperPi and PiFast

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by poke349 View Post
    Are you telling me you've got as many drives as cores?
    I'm telling you that come next month your going to be very busy changing numbers on your records page!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Banned
    lol ^^,

/post

that X5650 is a monster .
    Last edited by onex; 03-05-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by onex View Post
    lol ^^,

/post

Wait for Dave when the NDA lifts on the Gulftowns...
    Main Machine:
    AMD FX8350 @ stock --- 16 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz --- Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 --- 2.0 TB Seagate

Miscellaneous Workstations for Code-Testing:
    Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- 32 GB DDR3 @ 1866 MHz --- Asus Z87-Plus --- 1.5 TB (boot) --- 4 x 1 TB + 4 x 2 TB (swap)

Banned
    yeah, this is one curiosity teaser ...

I tried advanced swap mode, but when I set it to use G:\ the program went into an infinite loop (still in the menu, hadn't even started yet).
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    I tried advanced swap mode, but when I set it to use G:\ the program went into an infinite loop (still in the menu, hadn't even started yet).
    Where in the menu?

It asks you for the # of drives first. Then it asks for the paths.

I should probably write my own prompting function instead of using cin >> c;
    Since cin >> x; does that infinite loop when it gets a letter instead of an integer.
    Last edited by poke349; 03-07-2010 at 10:25 AM.
    Main Machine:
    AMD FX8350 @ stock --- 16 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz --- Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 --- 2.0 TB Seagate

Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- 32 GB DDR3 @ 1866 MHz --- Asus Z87-Plus --- 1.5 TB (boot) --- 4 x 1 TB + 4 x 2 TB (swap)

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by onex View Post
    lol ^^,

/post

Nope, not that slow!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Ah, I see. I didn't see the first line and thus thought it wanted a comma-separated list or something.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Cruncher
    can you put my runs in?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Its not overkill if it works.

Xtreme Cruncher
    ive got a few more

im working on the 10 and 25 billion right now, hopefully it works
    Last edited by skycrane; 03-10-2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: bad link

Xtreme Enthusiast
    HOLY @#&%^*&!!!
    WOW!!!

Quad socket + 32 GB of ram! (Though you were switching between 16GB and 32GB?)

Quick question: Do you actually have enough ram for the 10b and 25b runs? Or are you using the swap modes?
    Main Machine:

Xtreme Cruncher
    thanks, this is the first time ive ever benched the rig, usualy it just sits and crunches away on my boinc projects. ive got a total of 3 quads .. that one normaly runs 16gb, the other 2 have 8gb each. i borrowed the mem from the others to use all 32 for this run. its back to 16 now, and ill just start using the swap modes for the other runs

this is the 10 billion run

Validation Version: 1.0

Processor(s): Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 8356
    Logical Cores: 16
    Physical Memory: 34,356,379,648 ( 32.0 GB )
    CPU Frequency: 2,311,021,151

Program Version: 0.5.2 Build 9082 Alpha 3 (x64 SSE3 - Windows ~ Kasumi)
    Constant: Pi
    Algorithm: Chudnovsky Formula
    Decimal Digits: 10,000,000,000
    Hexdecimal Digits: 8,304,820,238
    Threading Mode: 16 threads
    Computation Mode: Basic Swap
    Swap Disks: 1
    Working Memory: 20.1 GB

Start Time: Wed Mar 10 18:14:47 2010
    End Time: Wed Mar 10 22:20:16 2010

Computation Time: 14,081.835 seconds
    Total Time: 14,726.781 seconds

CPU Utilization: 667.83 %
    Multi-core Efficiency: 41.73 %

Last Digits:
    9763261541 1423749758 2083180752 2573977719 9605119144 : 9,999,999,950
    9403994581 8580686529 2375008092 3106244131 4758821220 : 10,000,000,000

Timer Sanity Check: Passed
    Frequency Sanity Check: Passed
    ECC Recovered Errors: 0

----

Checksum: 1117a7c3424cae6a13185f85c7b024f2381a2428ffed75e218 078c94ad268809

im running the 25 now, wish me luck

Xtreme Enthusiast
    3 of them...

If you have any extra hard drives lying around, they'll really help out the larger runs using Advanced Swap.

Since you have sooo much computation power, it'll obviously be heavily bottlenecked by disk bandwidth.

Someday... I need to optimize the program better for NUMA machines like your quad-sockets... Only then will it be able to bring out their true potential...
    Main Machine:

Xtreme Cruncher
    id be more than wiling to run the optimized program anytime you get it ready and report the results on it. i have a perfect way to test the difference between the 2. all 3 rigs have the same tyan s4985 mobo, same memory, same opti 8356's with the same batch number and same hdd.

for the hdd, are you saying that the best bet would be to run 15gb of mem, and the hdd in a raid0 array??? to get the bandwith that i need?
    would 2 75 gig raptors work better than 4 regular 7200 rpm hdds?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by skycrane View Post
    id be more than wiling to run the optimized program anytime you get it ready and report the results on it. i have a perfect way to test the difference between the 2. all 3 rigs have the same tyan s4985 mobo, same memory, same opti 8356's with the same batch number and same hdd.

for the hdd, are you saying that the best bet would be to run 15gb of mem, and the hdd in a raid0 array??? to get the bandwith that i need?
    would 2 75 gig raptors work better than 4 regular 7200 rpm hdds?

It's not a simple fix. Virtually the entire multi-threading structure of the program needs to be redesigned from scratch and re-written to do that.
    That's not something I have on my plans. So it may not be for years. (assuming I'll still have interest in the program by then)

The hardware that I need to do it would be well beyond my budget.
    (I'd basically have to build myself a Beowulf cluster of high-end dual or quad-socket machines fully loaded with an absolutely obscene amount of ram.)

Perhaps a single 4P Beckton or a 4P Magny Cours machine will be enough... both of which are well beyond my budget. (And I'm speaking as a college student so i have no money or income... lol)
    Basically I need a machine that is VERY Non-Uniform in memory to be able to write for it...

About the hard drives:
    From the results that I have gotten so far, letting the program manage your HDs separately does seem to be more efficient than RAID 0.

So RAID doesn't seem to be useful until you run out of drive letters.

With your amount of ram (> 16 GB), disk seeks won't become significant until you push over 100 billion digits. So bandwidth will be the only that really matters. (In other words: 4 x 7200RPM will beat out 2 x raptors.)
    Last edited by poke349; 03-11-2010 at 03:01 PM.
    Main Machine:

Xtreme Cruncher
    sounds good im heading out now to grab a few more 1tb drives maybe ill be the first one to 1t

I get about 50% loading on 12 CPUs using swap mode on my 15K disks. That's actually quite impressive, imo. Good work on efficient swapping!

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

my results

Config:
    Supermicro X8DA6
    2x Xeon X5550
    6x2gb ddr3 1333mhz 99928

I just approximate Pi as 3.14, and it's pretty fast

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Woah... I go away for day, and there are 4 new posts... lol

Quote Originally Posted by skycrane View Post
    sounds good im heading out now to grab a few more 1tb drives maybe ill be the first one to 1t
    Wow... you're probably the first person (besides me), who actually went out to buy hardware to run this program.
    Good luck with that. Gonna be very interesting.

p.s. Lemme warn you though... 1 trillion digits is gonna take a LONG time. As in: more than 20 days...

I get about 50% loading on 12 CPUs using swap mode on my 15K disks. That's actually quite impressive, imo. Good work on efficient swapping!
    Thanks. Granted, you've got 8? hard drives...
    Using just one would be an absolute pain...

The swap mode wasn't an easy task. I've been working on it (on and off) since November 2008. (well before the first release of this program)

I actually had it completely designed and laid out on paper about a year ago, but I never found the time to actually finish it.
    It wasn't until this winter quarter, that my class load was low enough to let me goof off a bit.

And when I actually had it partially working, testing it was a complete nightmare since swap computations take forever.
    Due to the nature of the algorithms, things behave differently for small and large computations. So a "simple" test on the larger sizes would take hours. Of course, nobody gets it right on the first try...
    So I spent much of January abusing my workstation with 40GB ram drives to actually test and debug this thing...

I remember sitting there in horror when a 30 hour test failed on my Core i7 rig...
    Then I got the idea to ram drive it on my workstation... made it sooo much easier to fix the bug...
    (This was prior to getting the 4 x 2TB. So everything was REALLY slow.)

Quote Originally Posted by tj_jackson View Post
    my results

Config:
    Supermicro X8DA6
    2x Xeon X5550
    6x2gb ddr3 1333mhz 99928
    Wow. Another i7 dualie.
    Is your system reserving 1GB for video or something? Since the program is only reading 11GB.

Been getting mostly multi-socket results these few days...

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidNitrogen View Post
    I just approximate Pi as 3.14, and it's pretty fast

22/7 is better.

Both 3.14 and 22/7 need 4 characters to write, but 22/7 is more accurate.

22/7 is faster too. Fewer strokes to write.
    Last edited by poke349; 03-13-2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: typo
    Main Machine:

Guilty! I've got eight Fujitsu MBA3147RCs on a HighPoint RocketRAID 4320 in RAID-5. The program moves hundreds of megabytes per second while running.

It was running on the fastest part of the disk:

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Guilty! I've got eight Fujitsu MBA3147RCs on a HighPoint RocketRAID 4320 in RAID-5. The program moves hundreds of megabytes per second while running.

It was running on the fastest part of the disk:

haha. yep!

Disk is the clear bottleneck... So I made it so that you can fix that by just throwing more drives at it.

@skycrane

You've got very some serious competition to 1 trillion digits.
    Want me to PM you the specifics?

Actually, if you're willing to run that awesome machine of yours for more than a week like that, you're actually in good shape of breaking some of the world records for the other constants.
    (Namely the records that I set between March - May last year.)

e, Log(2), and Zeta(3) are your best bets.

e:
    I recently set this to 500 billion digits on my Core i7 machine with 12 GB ram + 4 x 2 TB. It took 12.8 days to compute and verify.

Log(2):
    This was done to 31 billion digits last year on my 64GB workstation. But it only took 40 hours to compute and verify. So 50 billion digits could possibly go sub-one week if you have enough drives running in parallel.
    Same applies to Log(10), but no one gives a crap about Log(10). So lol.

Zeta(3) - Apery's Constant:
    This was also done to 31 billion digits last year on my 64GB workstation. It took 4 days on my workstation to compute and verify. So it's slower. But there's a Wikipedia article on it with a list of records.

I didn't mention Square Root of 2 and Golden Ratio because there's someone already working on that.
    (They're both already computed to much more than the current official records, but are both pending verification.)

Catalan's Constant and the Euler-Mascheroni Constant don't support Advanced Swap Mode yet, so you'll need more than 64GB of ram to beat those. (Not to mention they are both FREAKING slow...)
    Main Machine:

Banned
    Nope, not that slow!

man, your teasing around too much .

E:
    that cpu was seem listed somewhere.. since mid February..
    Last edited by onex; 03-19-2010 at 02:10 PM.

A competition! Hmm. I've got another array that does 300MB/s I could add to the mix...

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

You guys will never guess what I'm doing...

*whistles*

PS: Samples are an average of about 2 minutes, so peak utilizations aren't shown.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast