Thread: New Multi-Threaded Pi Program - Faster than SuperPi and PiFast

Threaded View

I appreciate your explanation. It's interesting to hear about the internals of a project like your own, being a programmer. I hadn't really paid much attention to what error I was getting once I realized it was a pattern. I ran it again just now though, and this is what it shows (attached).

I didn't realize you could set the memory when I started it. I'd actually launched it Monday morning just to serve as a stress test after making some cooling changes to the system. I decided to let it keep going. heh I've only got 8GB of memory in this box and need most of that for my daily stuff, as you can tell. Using an extra 2GB of memory for ycrunch caused a memory low condition while I was doing daily development and gaming. All your other guys doing 100B runs have rigs with much greater amounts of memory than I.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.