Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AMD to demonstrate GPU physics using Havok at GDC?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mhouston@beyond3d
    Yes, we were running Havok cloth demos on multi-core CPU as well as GPU via OpenCL, all with the same OpenCL code underneath the Havok API. As was said above, there is no visible difference between the OpenCL code on either the CPU or the GPU and Havok's native code. The dancer dances off screen if you don't have the camera follow enabled, but the camera follow has a "bob" to it that makes some people sick after watching it for awhile.

We had a few demos we were cycling between. All OpenCL with no specific AMD functions or native code. I'm still partial to the Powdertoy demo and I have probably spend more time than I should playing with it. All in the name of debugging and optimizations.

I really hope Andrew's talk (EA) gets posted soon (the slides should all go up in not too long) as I think it's pretty cool that he was able to extract the Ropa cloth code used in Skate, port to OpenCL, and throw his code at AMD and Nvidia after developing on a different platform, and have AMD showing multi-core CPU and GPU and Nvidia showing GPU, side by side on alpha implementations. OpenCL is a real thing and the implementations are getting there. This year is going to be interesting and some of us are going to be very busy.

Resuming:

1 - Havok GPU acceleration uses OpenCL;
    2 - No AMD-specific code was used, can work with all (DX10 at least, I think) GPUs and CPUs (nVidia as well);
    3 - No "noticeable" performance difference between using AMD CPU and GPU for phisics. However we don't know if the CPU was doing it at 60FPS and the GPU at 300FPS, for example;
    4 - Soon we'll have some slides explaining all this.

The videos can be seen here:
    http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24095
    http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/17664
    http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24096

Right now I wonder how the HD3300 IGP can handle the phisics. If it's not up to par, I guess I'll just have to keep one of my HD3870s

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCain View Post
    If you guys check the RV790 thread, dinos posted a pic of a production HD 4890 package, and on the front it says "Game-physics Processing Ability."

That's because it is a "Techdemo stage." The purpose is to display the physics abilities; everything else doesn't matter.
    4870 boxes say "Game Physics Processing Capability" on the side as well, fyi. I want my PHYSICS!
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechromancer View Post
    4870 boxes say "Game Physics Processing Capability" on the side as well, fyi. I want my PHYSICS!

IIRC, the first GPU phisics demos were made in a X1900XT. So the potential has been there for quite a while..

EDIT: found it.

Monday , June 05, 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hardocp
    This morning ATI got a few of us together in order to show us their new physics technology. Godfrey Cheng showed off what he referred to a “Boundless Gaming.” ATI’s goal with Boundless Gaming is to provide the most immersive gaming experience as possible. The initial hardware that will drive this Boundless Gaming platform is an Intel Core 2 Duo processor bonded with an ATI CrossFire X1900 dual video card configuration Do however expect an AMD Boundless Gaming platform as well very soon.

ATI claims that their CrossFire configuration has been specifically optimized for Intel’s Core 2 Duo processor and we got to see it in action. The third element that finishes the Boundless Gaming triangle is actually another Radeon X1600 or better being utilized as a physics processor or PPU. ATI’s physics will have support for Havok FX as well as asymmetrical configurations meaning gamers can delivery physics in a 1+1 and a 2 +1 Crossfire configuration.

ATI says they have the best physics processing in the world stating that their branch execution unit eliminates much overhead as compared to team Green. Also ATI says they are going to be simply faster than an Ageia PhysX card even with using a X1600 XT and that a X1900 XT should deliver 9 X the performance of an Ageia PhysX card. ATI does not see their physics technology as an offload for the CPU but rather processes a new category of features know as “effects physics.”

As for launch dates, ATI stated they are now rolling the technology out to game developers with Havok’s support. Hopefully we will see games by the end of the year or early next year. ATI states that Boundless Gaming will be rolled out when the need exists in the market place.

ATI did show us several demonstrations, some of which were very impressive. Below are pictures of an Intel Badaxe motherboard running a Conroe processor that has a 3 16x PCIe slot configuration. There are three X1900 XT video cards installed. Two are doing CrossFire graphics and the third X1900 XT is being used at the physics processor.

The pictures below show a chess piece demo where parts are dropped onto the table nonstop as they cascade off the side. Also, in an attempt to upstage NVIDIA’s physics demo earlier this year, ATI doubled their number of boulders rolling down a hillside to 20,000.

So where does that leave the normal guy that does not have a spare mortgage to fund his next gaming machine? ATI did also have another Intel Conroe system running a Crossfire 2+1 configuration, where an X1600 was being used for physics in conjunction with two X1900 XT video cards for graphics. So if you have an “old” X1600 ATI video card laying around, you might want to hang onto it for future uses as a physics processor in a new box.

Certainly Boundless Gaming looks to be a promising technology that will further put the squeeze on Ageia while hopefully bringing more value to those of us that are used to retiring old video cards. That said, I am sure a few of you would like the prestige that comes along with telling your buddies that you have three X1900 cards in your box.

ATI left us saying, “Expect new Crossfire revisions early next year to overtake SLI. We are not here to play second fiddle.”

As a sidenote, this article went up one month before the AMD acquisition was announced.
    So the technology has been here for nearly 3 years, and what delayed it was probably ATI being bought, and later Havok itself being bought.

And this was made for DX9 GPUs. I wonder if this "new" havok implementation will support legacy, DX9c ATI GPUs as well.
    Last edited by ToTTenTranz; 03-25-2009 at 07:18 AM.

Xtreme Addict

I am Xtreme
    ToTTenTranz,
    I remember that from way back, good find.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post

Those are all Physx videos.

What happened to AMD demoing Havok.

Xtreme Addict
    Sigh @ incessant PhysX/CUDA hate. Anyway, look a few posts above. They had an interesting cloth demo of a woman in a red dress. Plus a few other less impressive ones of stuff breaking.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lockee View Post
    Those are all Physx videos.

What happened to AMD demoing Havok.
    ¬¬
    4 posts above yours.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTTenTranz View Post
    ¬¬
    4 posts above yours.
    That's more like it.

There were several new Havok videos uploaded today by this Youtube account but have since been made private.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HavokCloth

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    ToTTenTranz,
    I remember that from way back, good find.
    Indeed, it is a very good find.

Though, whomever mentioned it, while it would be cool for this new physics from ATI/Havok to run on even an X1k card, I am pretty sure that this actually uses OpenCL, or CAL.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCain View Post
    Indeed, it is a very good find.

Though, whomever mentioned it, while it would be cool for this new physics from ATI/Havok to run on even an X1k card, I am pretty sure that this actually uses OpenCL, or CAL.
    Yes, the GDC demos use OpenCL. But who worked on this in the past was Havok and ATI. And both these companies are now participating in the OpenCL development (ATI as part of AMD, Havok as part of Intel).

It's not that far-fetched to have legacy ATI cards being usable for physics processing.

Xtreme Addict
    It's confirmed to be OpenCL probably backed by CAL, the same way OpenCL is backed by CUDA. There was no mention of Havok's strategy going forward though so it remains to be seen how or when it gets commercialized.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234