Thread: Team FTL

Xtreme Cruncher

Team FTL

OMG have you seen this?

Isn't that the team involved in that scandal?
    Last edited by coo-coo-clocker; 03-18-2009 at 08:06 PM.

"[crunching is] a minor service to humanity as a side effect of our collective hardware fetish" - Blauhung

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm betting that they released another "hack" for a new game.

Care to enlight me wtf is going on? That link seems extreme. And the member names are wtf?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Team FTL put up a "hack" for a common game out there (don't remember which one).

In the hack, the included a copy of the single core FAH program.

In the hack instructions, they said install that program as part of the hack and type in team number. . . . etc.

Stanford found out, and removed ALL of their points on Feb. 25th. But as you can see they are still going strong.

(o.O)
    imagine all the people who've been affected by it... F@H is like a virus if you don't know how to turn it off... i mean it eats resources and all these kids trying to play games wouldn't be able to play much of anything with F@H running.

then again... I guess they downloaded it illegally in the first place and deserve it.

from a points perspective and the competitive nature of F@H, it's obviously a bad thing. from a copyright perspective, it's almost like a vigilante type of way to punish these people by forcing them to do something good without them even knowing about it. it's like saying "Hey, you tried to do something illegal and now you're inadvertently doing research to save people's lives instead. Enjoy playing this game at 2 fps." I don't know... I think it's more of a good thing than a bad thing i know a lot of people here fold competitively, but I would say that as long as they keep resetting the teams score on a regular basis... I hope this same team keeps doing what they are doing but at the same time I in no way would actually support them in doing it, I just support them morally from inside the closet, if that makes sense.

i might get flamed for saying what I said... but still I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this. Does the good outweigh the bad?
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield @ 3.2GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo | 2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) | Sapphire 4870x2 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM | Intel 120GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM | Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM | PCP&C 750W Power Supply |Cooler Master HAF932 | Windows 7 64-bit | Dell ULTRASHARP 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Join Us in the XS World Community Grid Forum & Help Fight Cancer and Other Diseases

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It was the single-core only client. I doubt it affected FPS that much.

Attack Dachshund
    here's the user http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...hp?s=&u=386620

looks like he got zapped for 3 mil...

FTLSpeed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	96574  

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's not one user. It's a whole team of like 20k people.

Attack Dachshund
    oh, wow! I searched for the story, but that's all I found is one post at fah. http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.ph...6221&hilit=FTL

edit: ok, so I only searched fahforum.. it's all over google.

I wonder who's brainchild idea it was to package it with a piratebay torrent. LMAO!
    Last edited by MikeB12; 03-19-2009 at 07:20 AM.

(o.O)
    it was more like 105,000,000 - look at the weekly production here: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...hp?s=&t=149135
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield @ 3.2GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo | 2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) | Sapphire 4870x2 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM | Intel 120GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM | Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM | PCP&C 750W Power Supply |Cooler Master HAF932 | Windows 7 64-bit | Dell ULTRASHARP 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Join Us in the XS World Community Grid Forum & Help Fight Cancer and Other Diseases

Attack Dachshund
    seems like if it was an automated install package with a torrent dl and part of a game install; then all the points would be the same user from the preconfigured client.cfg file. hard to believe they actually didn't prepackage it configured to install as a hidden as part of the game install. I mean, did users really install this on their own and type in a different username for each dl. that's unreal people are that stupid. I used to be a Novell Zen admin to push packaged apps out through the network.. if I was gonna push this thing out to a bunch of users, I'd prepackage it with the main install as a hidden prereq to the main app install. and push into the same folder as the main install. so the user never knows it's there during install. whoever packaged that thing is a little inept at this stuff.

HAHHA. I remember in a program I run occasionally... Seventeen or Bust... some guy went to the forum and asked how the hell it got running on his machine. Turns out some guy had packaged it in a torrent too.! Although it had a warning screen before install.... people just clicked "yes", "whatever" "ok" and it installed under his name.

Well.. at least it benefits science.

Xtreme Legend
    This should be a pre-requisite for all torrents of ripped off software...It may not satisfy the owners of the software but For me at least I feel that this should have been done properly and maybe fully automated. All under one username..."The ripoff collective".. and that's just the price they should have to pay for ripping people off. Great for the science!!! and the single core client is the right way too...unnoticeable for most. To use a local colloquialism...Proper Job!!

Give 'em back their points for just having a good idea!!...It just needs polishing that's all

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mstp2009 View Post
    Team FTL put up a "hack" for a common game out there (don't remember which one).

In the hack, the included a copy of the single core FAH program.

In the hack instructions, they said install that program as part of the hack and type in team number. . . . etc.

Stanford found out, and removed ALL of their points on Feb. 25th. But as you can see they are still going strong.

Well, it seems that stanford needs to check again.

While this is good for science, this is BAD for Stanford. They could possibly get implicated in a suite.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Attack Dachshund
    they created a blog to explain what happened

http://teamftl.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, March 18, 2009
    Debunking myths

This is the Team FTL Folding@Home Blog. We'd like to start by introducing ourselves and debunking all rumors about us.

Team FTL

Team FTL (Faster Than Light) consists of people from various countries who came together online to spread the use of Folding@Home to the wider online community at large by debunking myths, thorough engagement and user-friendly installers.

We are NOT affiliated to any warez or illegal group, nor do we create trojans, viruses, "automatic installers" or any form of malware. We only serve to spread the message of Folding@Home to the masses, and to encourage them to join the project. No user installs our Folding@home installer and folds for our team without fully understanding the benefits and consequences of joining the Folding@Home project. It is known that some of our members are interested in distributing the installer through P2P channels, however it has been determined to be within EULA requirements.

The Scandal
    However, due to some of our channels of communications (which include p2p and its forums), p2p groups have been sabotaging us (though we’re not sure whether its sabotage or over-enthusiasm), spreading the Folding@Home client in our team name, resulting in the loss of 106 million points from the entire team. We believe the problem is that they were enthusiastic about getting people to run Folding@Home, but were doing so in the wrong ways, and were breaking the EULA. One reason for this is that we didn't have a proper website till now, which we will now rectify. All legit members' points were zeroed, while two of the sabotaged accounts, FTLSpeed and FTLTravel (both of which were originally team-members’) were both banned, a move which we applaud. We would like to maintain that the founding and legit members of Team FTL condemn ALL forms of behavior which put the team and the Folding@Home project in a bad light. ONLY A FEW ACCOUNTS HAVE BEEN AFFECTED. The installer used in these cases were MSI installers (believed to be derived from the OCAU MSI Installer: http://www.overclockers.com.au/foldi..._installer.htm), or the direct console client with instructions to fold for the 2 users. It is NOT the installer that we have designed.

In addition, we request the following users to be banned from the Folding@Home project as well, as it is the last of the sabotaged accounts that have not been banned, and was probably installed by users who were (we believe) manipulated by this external group:

1. FILExtreme
    2. FTLExtreme
    3. FTLExttreme
    4. FTLExtrme
    5. FTLextream
    6. FTLEstreme
    7. FTLExtreme_(Or_any_username_you_like)
    8. FTLExreme
    9. FTLExtreme_
    10. FTLExtreme_[Or_any_username_you_like]
    11. FTLExtreme_Adam
    12. ftlextrem
    13. FTLEExtreme
    14. FTLExtrema
    15. _FTLExtreme_hero01
    16. FTLExtrreme
    17. FTLRxtreme
    18. FTLExtreame
    19. FTLxtreme
    20. FTLExtreme2
    21. FTLExtre
    22. FTLExtrime
    23. FTLExtreme(Or_any_username_you_like)
    24. FTLExtrene
    25. Username:FTLExtreme
    26. FTLExtereme
    27. \\FTLExtereme
    28. FTLExtreme(Or_any_usernme_you_like)
    29. FTLetreme
    30. FTLExtreme_
    31. _FTLEXTREME
    32. FTLEetreme
    33. FLTEtreme
    34. FLExtreme
    35. FLTExreme
    36. Any_username_you_like
    37. any_username
    38. anyuserulike
    39. any_user_name_you_like
    40. Any_username_ypu_like
    41. Any_username_you
    42. Any_username_kou_like
    43. any_username_you_luke
    44. Any_username_like
    45. any_usernamelike
    46. _Any_username_you_like
    47. Any_username_you_like_
    48. Any_username_yoou_like
    49. any_usermane_you_like
    50. any_name
    51. FasterThanLight_(Or_any_username_you_like)
    52. any_usename_you_like
    53. anyusernameyou_like
    54. anyusername
    55. Any_username_u_like
    56. ANY_USERNAME__YOU_LOKE
    57. Any_usarname_you_like
    58. Any_usernamre_you_like
    59. any_usernam_you_like
    60. Any_username_yuo_like
    61. Any_usernameyou_like
    62. Any_usernamer_you_like
    63. Any_uzername_you_like
    64. Any_unsername_you_like
    65. any_username_i_like
    66. Any_user_you_like
    67. any_username_tou_like
    68. anyusername_you_like
    69. any_username_you_lik
    70. Any_ussername_you_like
    71. any_user_name
    72. any_user_name_you_lake
    73. FasterThenLight
    74. fasterlights
    75. fasterthanlicht
    76. fastethanlight
    77. FasterThanligt
    78. FastherThanLight
    79. FasterThantLight
    80. FasterThanligth
    81. FasterThanlingt
    82. FasterThanLigh
    83. FasterTenLight
    84. FasterThanLighet
    85. FasterThamLight
    86. FasterThanLght
    87. FastarThanLight
    88. fasterthanlightt
    89. fasterthanlightning
    90. fasterthenligght
    91. Fastthananylight
    92. FFasterThanLight
    93. FasterThanLihgt
    94. FasterThatLight
    95. FasterThanLightR
    96. Fasterthalight
    97. FastThanLight
    98. FasterThanLigft
    99. FasterThanlight_gyuresanyi
    100. FasterThanKight
    101. username:_fasterthanlight
    102. fasterthsnlight
    103. FasterThanLigght
    104. FasterThanLiqht
    105. FasterToLight
    106. FastrerTHanLIGht
    107. Fasterthanthunder
    108. FasterThanLiht
    109. FasterThan_Light
    110. ___________________FasterThanLight
    111. FasterThanLinght
    112. FastrThanLight
    113. `fasterthanlight
    114. FsterThanLight
    115. festerthanlight
    116. xlcePhoenix
    117. xIcePhonix
    118. xicephenix
    119. XLCPHOENIX
    120. xIcePheonix
    121. xIcePhienix
    122. xicephoenixomran
    123. xIcePhoenix_
    124. xIcePhonenix
    125. user_name_xIcephonix
    126. xIceOhoenix
    127. icephoenix
    128. xIcePhonixx
    129. xIcePhoenixx
    130. xIcePheoenix
    131. xIcePhoinix
    132. xIcePhoenix_149135
    133. xPhoenix
    134. _xIcePhoenix

While we do not have an installer or file that directly implicates these users, we believe it’s pretty obvious. Some of these users may have already been banned since many of them have not returned any WUs since the last zero-ing of points. We have attempted to remove the offending files from P2P sites by liaising with P2P forum administrators, and most of them have indeed been removed. We hope the team will be able to tide over this humiliating attack. We will be liaising with the the Folding Forum to get the above accounts banned soon. As far as we know, all other accounts are legit.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Nice try, but IMO the damage is done.
    Not sure how they will manage to sort out the wheat from the chaff.
    I would suggest that they destroy that team, and start anew.

"[crunching is] a minor service to humanity as a side effect of our collective hardware fetish" - Blauhung

Xtreme Cruncher
    Pretty funny, and for a good cause, But I do understand and completely agree with the stats reset. I don't think Stanford is liable at all, As when people package viruses that force ads that benefit the packager, the ads displayed are not liable. Something like that.

Would have been far more appropriate to set the team number to anonymous, Or perhaps create a team with a name that labeled it as what it is. Something like "The I-didnt-know-F@H-was-bundled-with-this-warez/crack-torrent Team".

Now that's classy.

Use the power of your CPU and GPU to contribute to science! Become a member of one of the most competitive teams in the world of distributed computing, help find cures for diseases and various other charitable scientific causes. It's as simple as running a program! Go visit the World Community Grid and Folding at Home Forums for more information on these projects. CRUNCH 'N FOLD!

Attack Dachshund
    Quote Originally Posted by coo-coo-clocker View Post
    Nice try, but IMO the damage is done.
    "a Swing and a Miss!"