Thread: Which Vista

Xtreme Legend

Which Vista

Ok taking into consideration the comment over there about not using those drivers, I still need to get windows for 1 rig. Got 2 rigs on xp just now but rather than use my ultimate disk which I bought for my qx rig (currently under construction) on my folding rig I want to buy new.

What version do you guys buy for folding?

Is full retail the way to go? or oem?

64 bit Home Premium enough for folding or not?

Where do you shop for windows?

Advice please...

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I believe with retail the only thing that is different is the box and customer service if you are having problems installing Vista. So I would say OEM will save you a few dollars for sure.

I use Home Prem and folding is working great for me.

I bought Windows from MicroCenter but if you have an Ultimate CD you can use it 3 times I believe before it goes to where you are breaking copy write or whatever. So why not just put it on that computer also.

I have used mine on this computer like six times with no problem. LOL
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Legend
    My understanding is that oem is for 1 machine only and that upgrading that machine (say a different make motherboard) is a no go.

Full retail is keep for life move from machine to machine whenever you want but should only be installed on one at any one time.

am I right?

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Addict
    64 bit Home Premium

I bought my 2nd copy at microcenter for $85 shipped. It was available at that price for a long time. I checked earlier today and could not find it at that price ($130 now). Newegg keeps it at $99 w/ free shipping--don't really think you'll find a better price, but I could be wrong....

Xtreme Cruncher
    Pssst. Don't buy Vista!!! Use Win 7 7057. It's good till March next year.

You can get several months out of Server 2008 too.

Shoot me a PM if you have questions.

Edit: Upgrading OEMs has never been an issue for me. Multiple mobos/ vid cards or processors has never been an issue. 1 call to MS India and a declaration that the OS is on one machine only has been all that is necessary for me.
    Last edited by WFO; 03-20-2009 at 10:26 PM.
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    3960X @ 4805 1.376 v-core
    32GB DDR3 1866 G.SKILL Ripjaws Z
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-120G PCI-E 120GB
    3 X 6T Raid 0 Hitachi Storage
    Themaltake Tough Power 1200
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    My understanding is that oem is for 1 machine only and that upgrading that machine (say a different make motherboard) is a no go.

Full retail is keep for life move from machine to machine whenever you want but should only be installed on one at any one time.

am I right?

True OEM version is attach to the hardware for life the retail version is attach to the customer.

That is what I always thought it was.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post

am I right?
    That is how I have understood it although I have read MANY times people say call MS and say you had to replace hardware and there is no problem. I have Home Premium 64 OEM but have not had to make any changes yet.

Love it too has been rock stable. At least until I just said it I guess.......