Thread: Best non-full cover GPU block

Best non-full cover GPU block

Hello fellow XS members,

Among Swiftech MCW60-R, D-Tek FuZion GFX 2 VGA and EK-VGA Supreme, which one provides the best cooling for nVidia GeForce 260?

Chasing After Diety
    MCW60 rev.2
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Banned
    d-tek gfx 2

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    MCW60 v2 or FuZion GFX 2... pick one.

The VGA Supreme is a prime example of pointless pressure drop (along with the original FuZion GFX).
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have been nothing but impressed with my two Fuzion GFX2 blocks. Also their UNI-Sink design for it is top notch.

+1 for the fuzion gfx 2's.
    Because that's what I bought, lol. But really I have read glowing reviews for both. I much prefer the looks of the dtek block and unisink however.
    Computer:
    CPU: PII X6 1055t @ 3.7Ghz
    Motherboard: MSI NF980-G65
    Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB(4X2) 4GBRL DDR3 1600
    Graphics: Tri-SLI Gtx470's
    Power: Corsair AX1200
    Case: CM HAF-X
    Monitors: 3x ASUS VG236H -120HZ/3D

Xtreme Mentor
    They are all good.
    My favorite, at least looks wise, is the Ek Supreme Acrylic.
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Xtreme Addict
    I went with the MCW60 rev.II because it flows better than the DTek AFAIK.

DTek give slightly better temps tho.

what do you pair these blocks with (for ram, mosfets) on a 4870 gpu? I have an EK Supreme and i'm aware that this is restrictive, so i was thinking of just getting a full cover block instead. Would really like to use this block though, just not sure wether i should go for mosfets and ram heatsinks, and if heatsinks alone on the ram and mosfets are effective enough.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    FuzionGFX2 or MCW60 rev2. Performance-wise even. MCW60 works in both directions, GFX2 is is specifically 1 in 1 out, might limit your tubing arrangement. GFX2 has brass G1/4 threads, MCW60 has acetal NPSM threads.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by glide 1 View Post
    what do you pair these blocks with (for ram, mosfets) on a 4870 gpu? I have an EK Supreme and i'm aware that this is restrictive, so i was thinking of just getting a full cover block instead. Would really like to use this block though, just not sure wether i should go for mosfets and ram heatsinks, and if heatsinks alone on the ram and mosfets are effective enough.
    Heatsinks should work fine, just make sure they get some air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibbler View Post
    MCW60 has acetal NPSM threads.
    I thought Rev.2 switched to BSPP .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm worred that ramsinks will fall off and short something
    Sig is under construction

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by anzial View Post
    What gpu? There may be a uni-sink or something similar for it.

Xtreme Member
    They can be a PITA to keep on there. A unisink is good, or one of IanY's custom jobs if Petras carries them for your card.

I hate the little stick on ones. I resorted to a 50/50 mix of Arctic Silver 5 TIM and Arctic Silver Adhesive. It worked well and no damage was done when I pried the little buggers off later after I got a set of IanY's heatsinks....then a few months later I went full cover IONE from Danger Den. I could have easily saved the money and stayed with the MCW60 and IanY's gorgeous heatsinks. Temperatures were very reasonable.
    Dataseed - DFI P35-T2R - Intel E6850 Core2Duo @ 4Ghz - 2GB (2x1024) Geil Black Dragon EVO ONE PC8500@1066Mhz - eVGA 8800 GT Superclocked 650Mhz/950Mhz - 2x Maxtor 75GB 6Y080m0 SATA RAID 0 - 750GB Hitachi Deskstar- Pioneer DVD-RW DVR212D SATA - OCZ GameXStream 700W - Samsung 226BW - Logitech G15 Keyboard - Razer Diamondback - WinXP Home SP2- Coolermaster Stacker STC-T01 Cooling - Danger Den MC-TDX - Danger Den IONE - Swiftech MR320QR - DDC 3.2 w/Petra top - 1/2 Inch Tygon - Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus Fan Controller

Quote Originally Posted by taowulf View Post
    They can be a PITA to keep on there. A unisink is good, or one of IanY's custom jobs if Petras carries them for your card.

That is Iandh Big difference. Iandh is an industry legend. The other guy is a clueless nobody

Banned
    FuZion GFX 2.. it's good!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by faster3200 View Post
    What gpu? There may be a uni-sink or something similar for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by taowulf View Post

I hate the little stick on ones. I resorted to a 50/50 mix of Arctic Silver 5 TIM and Arctic Silver Adhesive. It worked well and no damage was done when I pried the little buggers off later after I got a set of IanY's heatsinks....then a few months later I went full cover IONE from Danger Den. I could have easily saved the money and stayed with the MCW60 and IanY's gorgeous heatsinks. Temperatures were very reasonable.
    GTX285. Apparently, the market is not large enough for anyone to bother to make up a 'unisink' thingy which could screwed on and not glued on. I already have the GFX2 but it's no use if I can't come with a safe and undoable method of cooling the memory. I would've made a set myself but I don't have those sorts of skill lol

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    That is Iandh Big difference. Iandh is an industry legend. The other guy is a clueless nobody
    Man, I am on the road too much. Thanks for straightening me out, I knew something looked wonky, Mr. Clueless Nobody. I must have seen your name in a post I had buzzed by and it stuck as "close, but no cigar".
    Dataseed - DFI P35-T2R - Intel E6850 Core2Duo @ 4Ghz - 2GB (2x1024) Geil Black Dragon EVO ONE PC8500@1066Mhz - eVGA 8800 GT Superclocked 650Mhz/950Mhz - 2x Maxtor 75GB 6Y080m0 SATA RAID 0 - 750GB Hitachi Deskstar- Pioneer DVD-RW DVR212D SATA - OCZ GameXStream 700W - Samsung 226BW - Logitech G15 Keyboard - Razer Diamondback - WinXP Home SP2- Coolermaster Stacker STC-T01 Cooling - Danger Den MC-TDX - Danger Den IONE - Swiftech MR320QR - DDC 3.2 w/Petra top - 1/2 Inch Tygon - Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus Fan Controller

Xtreme Addict
    GTX285. Apparently, the market is not large enough for anyone to bother to make up a 'unisink' thingy which could screwed on and not glued on.
    Yeah, you guys got screwed in that respect.

Xtreme Mentor
    I agree. As long as you do the cleaning right it's fine. Many GPU stock setups use a TIM tape that leaves a greasy gook on the chips. Alcohol no workie. There are many ways to clean it. I use Artic Clean, a two bottle set sold at many on-line retailers. It works wonders, cheap and bottles last a long time.

When I had a 8800GT with Thermalright ram and Mosfet heatsinks, I could hold the card up by one of the tiny heatsinks. Clean them well, and hold each taped heatsink down with hard pressure for a min. EACH HS. You'll be fine.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

I am Xtreme
    I thought Rev.2 switched to BSPP .
    Nope, still the same old silly NPSM, luckily it's close enough to BSPP that adapters or special fittings aren't needed.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    I agree. As long as you do the cleaning right it's fine. Many GPU stock setups use a TIM tape that leaves a greasy gook on the chips. Alcohol no workie. There are many ways to clean it. I use Artic Clean, a two bottle set sold at many on-line retailers. It works wonders, cheap and bottles last a long time.

When I had a 8800GT with Thermalright ram and Mosfet heatsinks, I could hold the card up by one of the tiny heatsinks. Clean them well, and hold each taped heatsink down with hard pressure for a min. EACH HS. You'll be fine.
    thanks for the suggestions but will they be removable afterwards? I don't want a permanent bonding b/n ramsinks and chips
    Last edited by anzial; 03-25-2009 at 03:16 AM.

Xtreme Member
    EK VGA-Supreme
    BLACK PANTHER
    Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm X58 | Intel Core i7-920 w/ Venomous-X BLACK | 6 x 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 CL8 | Leadtek GTX570 | Auzentech X-Fi Bravura 7.1 | Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD & Samsung F3 1TB | WiNDy ALTIUM FSR2000 Muscleback SOJ | Seasonic M12D 850W | Dell UltraSharp U2311H 23" IPS | Razor DB 3G | Deck 82 ToXiC

BLACK DRAGON
    Asus Maximus III Gene P55 | Intel Core i7-860 w/ EK Supreme HF Copper | 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 CL7 | Gigabyte HD6950 w/ EK-FC 6970 | Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 128GB SSD & Samsung M7 500GB | WiNDy ALTIUM VR1000 Black Knight | Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W | Samsung 2693HM 25.5" | Razor DB | Deck 82 Fire

Shared Device : AE Aego M

Welcome to my WiNDy HOUSE OF SOLDAM

To visit, click on my nick and select 'Visit elpibe10's homepage'

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Nope, still the same old silly NPSM, luckily it's close enough to BSPP that adapters or special fittings aren't needed.
    Ahhh, got ya. Their newer products are BSPP though, right? I could have sworn the MC-Res and GTZ are.

I am Xtreme
    Ahhh, got ya. Their newer products are BSPP though, right? I could have sworn the MC-Res and GTZ are.
    + Obsidian, Caldera, MCW-NBMAX and I think the new stackers.
    Last edited by Waterlogged; 03-25-2009 at 11:00 PM.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!