Thread: Enermax Galaxy 850 will not Power On????

Question Enermax Galaxy 850 will not Power On????

I just bought a used Enermax Galaxy 850 Watt PSU. I finally got to the point in my build to try and power some things up. I plugged in the PSU and then turned on the switch. All it does is light up the switch and LED. There are no beeps and neither fan turns on. This is with nothing plugged into the PSU except my wall outlet.

Is the PSU fried?????

Any help appreciated.

Xtreme Member
    You need to plug it into your motherboard and then it should power on. It has nothing to power up as you describe. Sometimes it is the simple things that piss us off.
    Last edited by doakh; 03-18-2009 at 09:18 AM.
    Asus P5Q Deluxe (P5QD1406) || Q9400 at 3.4GHz || 2x2GB Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 || HIS HD 4870 1GB w/ Scythe Musashi (silent) || 501GB Samsung HD || Zalman ZM850-HP || Antec P182 || Windows 7 x64 RTM

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rreinicherr View Post
    I just bought a used Enermax Galaxy 850 Watt PSU. I finally got to the point in my build to try and power some things up. I plugged in the PSU and then turned on the switch. All it does is light up the switch and LED. There are no beeps and neither fan turns on. This is with nothing plugged into the PSU except my wall outlet.

Is the PSU fried?????

Any help appreciated.
    The PSU will not turn on until told to do so.
    1st thing is first. Unless you plan on having a load full time on a jumped psu, only jump it for a short period ( 2-3 seconds max) at a time. Running a psu with no load can cause it to damage itself. Also please disconnect the psu before jumping it, and after finished.

Toolds needed.

1- ATX PSU
    2- Wire Strippers (or teeth, depending on lazyness)
    3- Short length of wire (or 2 if you do the optional step)

Its a 1 step process! Grab your psu, examine the atx connector itself, u'll notice a green wire with a black wire on either end of it. Take your length of wire, and use the wire strippers (or teeth) to strip a small section of cover off each end of the wire. Insert one bare end of this wire into the opening of the green lead on the atx connector, and the other end into any of the 2 black lead openings beside the green lead opening. This will jump the psu, and if it is plugged in (i suggest jumping first, then plugging it in), the psu will turn on (that is if its any good). Remember only run an unloaded psu for 2-3 seconds MAX!

Notice the jump from the black and green wires.

Following these directions will gve you a successful psu jump.

Power Supply Guide for Today's & Tomorrow's Computers

Always Build with the Best!
    Dave .

More learning/dumb questions.

What all needs to be plugged in. I have the main power, CPU Power, and the On switch plugged into the MB.

Now it keeps blowing the breaker when I turn on the power switch?????

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

PSU Expert
    Nothing needs to be plugged in to jump start it.

What type of breaker is being used? Some AFCI breakers don't play nice with certain PSU's.
    Jetway HA07-Ultra, Phenom 9600, 4GB G.Skill 1066, Antec CP-1000, 3R Ice Age, Ultra Aluminus, HD2600XT, WD Black 640GB, Seagate 500GB 7200.11, Maxtor 200GB Diamondmax 10, Lite-On 48125W, Pioneer DVR-115D, Plextor PX-716SA