Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dell presents Adamo - starting at 1999 US-Dollar

Xtreme Member
    Haha Wow that is expensive. My $800 Macbook Air is serving me well.

Life's Replay
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTTenTranz View Post
    I don't hate people who look good..
    I just find myself intelectually incompatible with people who think they have to be ripped off to get the "good-looking-factor".
    When you let the price itself have a "halo effect" on you (I wish I had that because it's expensive), you have become one of these people.

How many people do you think will buy this piece of junk just because it costs $2000?

It's superficial, shallow and one of the main reasons why we're having this economic crisis.
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    2000$ for a laptop with igp and 1.2ghz cpu... if youd have told somebody about this a year ago he would have rolled on the floor laughing...

wait, its 2kg? and 13"?

my sony vaio is the same weight, same display size but its led backlid, has ati hd3470 graphics, a 2.4ghz c2d cpu and around 4 hour battery life with the basic battery option... and it cost me around 1000$... sure, retail price is actually a bit higher than that and i got a good deal on it, but still... the dell adamo is WORSE in specs and costs notably more... just cause its 1cm thinner than the vaio? who cares!

i thought the weight would be 1kg or something, and a faster cpu and propper graphics... 2000$ for a macbook air "celeron" is a joke
    I just know that if this were a lifestyle/design forum, rather than a computer forum, and something ugly like a Dell Inspiron was sold with a 3 GHz CPU for 2,000 Dollars, everybody would be going "Oh my god, who would buy that, it's so ugly. Who cares if it has a 3 GHz CPU or not." Most people here are happy with a brown brick as long as it's fast. The Dell Adamo is not made for people on this forum.

Calling people wearing D&G gay is quite a judgmental statement. Why is it that people who care how they look get labeled as homosexual? I'd bet money that most homosexuals do not wear D&G but favor another brand, and that's still completely irrelevant.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    I just know that if this were a lifestyle/design forum, rather than a computer forum, and something ugly like a Dell Inspiron was sold with a 3 GHz CPU for 2,000 Dollars, everybody would be going "Oh my god, who would buy that, it's so ugly. Who cares if it has a 3 GHz CPU or not." Most people here are happy with a brown brick as long as it's fast. The Dell Adamo is not made for people on this forum.

Calling people wearing D&G gay is quite a judgmental statement. Why is it that people who care how they look get labeled as homosexual? I'd bet money that most homosexuals do not wear D&G but favor another brand, and that's still completely irrelevant.
    I stand for what I said.
    You don't have to be ripped off to get something that looks good. There are several laptops out there who won't cost you an arm and a leg and look pretty good -> I'm not even considering the tech specs here.

Design in laptops is way too overrated these days.

Life's Replay
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTTenTranz View Post
    I stand for what I said.
    You don't have to be ripped off to get something that looks good. There are several laptops out there who won't cost you an arm and a leg and look pretty good -> I'm not even considering the tech specs here.

Design in laptops is way too overrated these days.
    Sure, but then it ends up being like H&M. Everybody has the same bracelet and the same hat and nobody can buy it anymore because you look like an unoriginal idiot if you do.

People usually want to be recognized as individuals and if the price is too low, you're stuck. Then there is of course the Mac-problem where everybody buys the same white laptop and thinks they're special.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandi423 View Post
    Haha Wow that is expensive. My $800 Macbook Air is serving me well.
    OK I'll bite. How did you get a Macbook Air for $800, when the retail price is 2-3x that?
    oh man

Banned
    Sure, but then it ends up being like H&M. Everybody has the same bracelet and the same hat and nobody can buy it anymore because you look like an unoriginal idiot if you do.

People usually want to be recognized as individuals and if the price is too low, you're stuck. Then there is of course the Mac-problem where everybody buys the same white laptop and thinks they're special.
    Only one problem with your reasoning. A laptop is a tool not a goddamn scarf. Like someone, who I usually don't agree with, pointed out: this way of thinking is one of the main reasons for the economic crisis you are facing right now.

Life's Replay
    Quote Originally Posted by Katanai View Post
    Only one problem with your reasoning. A laptop is a tool not a goddamn scarf.
    I'd disagree, partially because I am interested in design, and partially because that argument can backfire. You can then backtrace the argument and keep arguing that a scarf is essentially only a garment used to keep your neck warm, just like any other piece of clothing. Hence, we should all just wear the most practical piece of clothing, produced out of an an industrially engineered material with the optimal weather-suited abilities.

You just defined what a laptop is for yourself, let others decide what it is for them.

Like someone, who I usually don't agree with, pointed out: this way of thinking is one of the main reasons for the economic crisis you are facing right now.
    Would you care to elaborate? I'd also like to point out that people purchasing expensive things in dire times surely can't be purely negative, can it?

13" Macbook Pro

Twitter | Life's Replay

Banned
    I'd disagree, partially because I am interested in design, and partially because that argument can backfire. You can then backtrace the argument and keep arguing that a scarf is essentially only a garment used to keep your neck warm, just like any other piece of clothing. Hence, we should all just wear the most practical piece of clothing, produced out of an an industrially engineered material with the optimal weather-suited abilities.

You just defined what a laptop is for yourself, let others decide what it is for them.

Would you care to elaborate? I'd also like to point out that people purchasing expensive things in dire times surely can't be purely negative, can it?

What is there to elaborate? Throwing money away get people into debt. It's as easy as that.

Xtreme Addict
    What is there to elaborate? Throwing money away get people into debt. It's as easy as that.
    You do realize that this is a forum where people think it's cool to throw down $1000 for a CPU that has the exact same core as a $200 CPU, right?
    oh man

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmage View Post
    You do realize that this is a forum where people think it's cool to throw down $1000 for a CPU that has the exact same core as a $200 CPU, right?
    Yeah but I bet that CPU is a bit faster than 1.2Ghz .

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah but I bet that CPU is a bit faster than 1.2Ghz .
    Well, similar concept, right? We pay ridiculous premiums for dubious gains.

What practical value is there of a 6GHz processor under LN2? At least with this, you can use the product 24/7.
    oh man

Banned
    At least with this, you can use the product 24/7.
    To do what? Play solitaire?
    Excuse me but I don't really see the practical value for a 1.2Ghz CPU in today's world, not to mention the graphic card it's paired with.
    You can not even view content on some sites properly with that combo, is that really practical?

Xtreme Addict
    To do what? Play solitaire?
    Excuse me but I don't really see the practical value for a 1.2Ghz CPU in today's world, not to mention the graphic card it's paired with.
    You can not even view content on some sites properly with that combo, is that really practical?
    Yes it is. I've used a Dell Latitude D420 12" ultraportable laptop for quite some time, and the only things that were limited on it were its display (small and dark), keyboard (too small) and lethargic 1.8" 4200RPM hard drive (a SSD changes this). It came with a 1.06GHz Core Solo ULV - that's probably on the same level - or worse - as a netbook.

I use it for word processing, browsing the web/email, doing homework, coding, and SSH (for the CPU-intensive things). In other words, it's a perfect business laptop: it's highly functional for everything except playing games.

The Adamo fixes the D420's problems (larger keyboard, fast SSD, larger LED LCD) and will eventually cost $800 through the Dell Outlet. It also has a much faster dual-core CPU. In addition, it's actually functional unlike the Macbook Air - it has 3 USB ports and a LAN port.

What content are you speaking of? I've had 0 problems with site content on my 12" ultraportable.
    Last edited by Shadowmage; 03-21-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    oh man

Xtreme Mentor
    I'd rather buy a mac air, and i dont even like macs.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Banned
    Yes it is. I've used a Dell Latitude D420 12" ultraportable laptop for quite some time, and the only things that were limited on it were its display (small and dark), keyboard (too small) and lethargic 1.8" 4200RPM hard drive (a SSD changes this). It came with a 1.06GHz Core Solo ULV - that's probably on the same level - or worse - as a netbook.

I use it for word processing, browsing the web/email, doing homework, coding, and SSH (for the CPU-intensive things). In other words, it's a perfect business laptop: it's highly functional for everything except playing games.

The Adamo fixes the D420's problems (larger keyboard, fast SSD, larger LED LCD) and will eventually cost $800 through the Dell Outlet. It also has a much faster dual-core CPU. In addition, it's actually functional unlike the Macbook Air - it has 3 USB ports and a LAN port.

What content are you speaking of? I've had 0 problems with site content on my 12" ultraportable.

Well try watching HD content on that thing then. Some people can never be convinced...

Admin
    Well try watching HD content on that thing then. Some people can never be convinced...
    He currently has a laptop that's worse than the Adamo and it suits his needs. What's wrong with him upgrading to an Adamo at a greatly reduced price down the road? He's not using his laptop the way you want him to?

Xtreme Addict
    I've watched Planet Earth in 720p on it.

Obviously the laptop isn't designed for hardcore content. Get a desktop for that, jeez.

I've since learned from college that carrying around a do-it-all laptop is highly inefficient. I had a 15" Dell Precision M70 with a modded 7800GTX graphics card, which was the highest end chip out at the time. I had a modded 2.4GHz overclocked Dothan as well. The laptop cost over $2000 to build, weighed a ton, and overheated in the summer (probably since I crammed a 68W TDP graphics card into a cooling solution designed for a 35W part). This is what happens when you try to do-it-all.

In contrast, now I have a $800 desktop an a $800 ultraportable laptop. The desktop is way faster than any laptop could possibly be (Q6600 OCed, GTX280), and the laptop is more portable than any desktop could hope to be.

Side note: I actually pioneered the 7800GTX mod. You can read the article here: http://laptoplogic.com/resources/detail.php?id=31
    oh man

Life's Replay
    None of the people that I know would get a loan to buy a laptop. On the other hand, no people that I know would get a loan for almost anything. If you can't afford a 2,000 laptop, don't buy one, it's quite simple.

This is exactly what I was getting it, people on this forum prioritize different things, design often not being one of them.

The point about throwing away money and getting people into debt applies just as well for a 1,000 Dollar CPU as for a 2,000 Dollar laptop. That one costs twice as much is irrelevant, the point isn't a comparison of the specific numerical values, it's the concept of diminishing returns, of both products being, what some might call, unnecessary.

I've watched Planet Earth in 720p on it.

Obviously the laptop isn't designed for hardcore content. Get a desktop for that, jeez.

*snip*

In contrast, now I have a $800 desktop an a $800 ultraportable laptop. The desktop is way faster than any laptop could possibly be (Q6600 OCed, GTX280), and the laptop is more portable than any desktop could hope to be.
    I agree once more. I watch all of my HD videos on my desktop PC, even though my Dell XPS M1210 laptop with a T7200 + 7400 Go can play HD videos fine. I've sometimes regretted having a laptop that weighs just over 2 Kg when I could have gotten a smaller one that would have been fine 99% of the time.

I would also dare say that a 13.3" screen does not necessarily show off a HD video very well, but that's another argument which I can see both sides off without ever getting into it.

I can see people complaining about the price, but I find there is generally nothing wrong with paying 2,000 Dollars for something that will later on be 800 Dollars for a few reasons if you have the money. If you're wealthy enough for it not to matter, why wait? Also, playing the waiting game with computer hardware is irritating.

13" Macbook Pro

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Guru
    Katanai has absolutely no idea how relatively little computing power is required for most things. It's funny
    i5 750 4.20GHz @ NH-D14 | 8GB | P7P55DLE | 8800U | Indilinx SSD + Samsung F3 | HAF922 + CM750W
    Past: Q6600 @ 3.60 E6400 @ 3.60 | E6300 @ 3.40 | O165 @ 2.90 | X2 4400+ @ 2.80 | X2 3800+ @ 2.70 | VE 3200+ @ 2.80 | WI 3200+ @ 2.75 | WI 3000+ no IHS @ 2.72 | TBB 1700+ @ 2.60 | XP-M 2500+ @ 2.63 | NC 2800+ @ 2.40 | AB 1.60GHz @ 2.60
    Quote Originally Posted by CompGeek
    The US is the only country that doesn't use [nuclear weapons] to terrorize other countries. The US is based on Christian values, unlike any other country in the world. Granted we are straying from our Christian heritage, but we still have a freedom aimed diplomatic stance.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i'm spoiled, i can't get a laptop with any resolution under 1080p

once i got a 24 inch monitor the productivity that it facilitated......

I can't stand using small laptops anymore

its actually sad as they are cheaper and would to exactly what I want

I bough a Voodoo Envy 133 when it came out, for much the same reason I bought a Tag Heuer watch, its a statement. Sure I can't watch HD movies on it, but why would I want to. I use it for work and work alone. I just needed something small that I could throw in my bag and go, and it works great for that. And I like the way people look at me when I am working on it in the airport or something. Sure people would look at me the same way if they saw my desktop, but I don't get it out of the house much. Its a statement, and compared to a 80grand M5, its not that much money.

I can see people complaining about the price, but I find there is generally nothing wrong with paying 2,000 Dollars for something that will later on be 800 Dollars for a few reasons if you have the money. If you're wealthy enough for it not to matter, why wait? Also, playing the waiting game with computer hardware is irritating.
    I will say when I got the laptop never once did I say .. this was not worth almost 3 grand. I have said that many times in the past with computer parts, so I kinda consider it a good buy..
    MSI 790FX-GD70
    AMD PhIIX4 955 BE
    Coolermaster V10!!
    Mushkin DDR3
    WD Vel Raptor
    Diamond ATI HD 4870X2
    Cosmos Stacker 830

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Are you talking about the Sony SR?

Isn't the XPS 1330 and the Sony Z like less than 4 pounds? What is wrong with using plastic when it is cheaper and lighter than Al.
    yeah, i got the SR15-T, it has some drawbacks but nothing big at all, i can def recommend that laptop. this model is taiwan only it seems but there are similar version in the rest of the world.
    and yeah its some plastic compound, maybe carbon or some other fibre stuff, the covers are amazingly light when i took it apart... its like they have no weight at all

i dont think that most people here only care about specs.. definately not...
    design and style is very important!

its bigger, heavier, thicker, uglier, slower, more expensive than the macbook air and other similar laptops. it doesnt win anywhere... be it design, style, or any of the specs... it just sucks, and it doesnt matter what forum you discuss this on either, the only people who will cheer for it are probably dell employees or people who fall for the marketing and dont know about competing products.

OK I'll bite. How did you get a Macbook Air for $800, when the retail price is 2-3x that?
    hes got connections
    he didnt mean to say macbook air is cheaper i think, just saying hes happy about his since he got it so cheap and its better than this 2000$ laptop

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanAndreevich View Post
    Katanai has absolutely no idea how relatively little computing power is required for most things. It's funny
    I do know that this laptop is crap though.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I think it looks great...yea its overpriced but at least it looks good! And nobody here try and act like looks dont matter! Just look at all the work people do on this forum (murdermod..ect) making things looks good. I wouldnt buy it though. Thats why i bought my dell case, it looked really good, so i just took the case w/ no dell parts in it and built a real comp inside of it, at a total price of $600+ less than the same thing w/ dell parts...only wish you could do that w/ laptops

Q9300 [Crunch] / XFX GTX285 [Fold] / EVGA 750i
    Two 250GB 7200 / 4GB XMS2 800 / 1Kw XPS PSU / Freezer Pro 7
    10,797 3DMark Vantage / Scythe 120mm Case fans / Vista U. 64
    PS3 - 700 Work Units and going strong!, XPS 720 H2C Case
    Crunching 24/7 on Q9300....might upgrade to an i7

Xtreme Member
    If you give 2k for laptop, why the hell wouldn't you give few $k for kick-ass LCD TV with some surround system and enjoy full HD with a beer in you hand?
    Laptop looks great. It's expensive but it's a fashion statement. It's basically the same when you buy armani or breitling or even bentley?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast