*Will try when I get home this evening. Thanks!*

Ryzen 3800X @ 4.4Ghz
    MSI X570 Unify
    32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL14
    Sapphire Nitro Vega 64
    OCZ Gold 850W ZX Series
    Thermaltake LV10

Champion
    [QUOTE=DaMulta;3794723]I broke the cover for the cpu lock down.(The damn silly putty DON"T USE THAT CRAP) ATM it gives me the FF code IF the 8pin or 4pin is not installed. It will also let me hold down the power button to shut it down.

Now if the 8pin or 4 pin is installed I get NO code read outs, and I can't hold down the power button to turn it off. ATM I have fans running over the VRM in that area(I think it's still damp there.) With luck it will power on.

[QUOTE]

Hey DaMulta - I am getting the same thing here.. Power on straigth to FF code.. power button doesn't work to shut it down. have to do it via PSU.

I noticed the second LED is off.. in that row of 5 or 6 LED by the CPU Fan. I haven't tried to get it to power back on yet, since I had no time over the weekend. If I figure it out, I will keep you posted. If not.. then time for a 4th MSI mobo :P

- Ton

Brilliant Idiot
    You guys killing boards sheesh......mines been rock solid once I figured a few things out......
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

HWGurus
    Any tips for it chew?

Brilliant Idiot
    Use a dmm at the readpoints MSI reccomended.....a few voltages overvolt.

Take your time, every board I use I take babysteps with, get to know it really well then go to the next stage of cooling and repeat...Rome wasn't built in a day so to speak.

I've started from scratch 3 times now with the same set of ram and each time acchieved a higher clock, the more you get to know the board the easier it is the less buttons you have to push, voltage you have to give to make it do what you want. Large voltage jumps don't help with this board. the fine tuned increments are there for a reason. This board just requires a little more finesse.

I see alot of Impatient overclockers of late and those two words together do not mix.

If going cold be anal with insulation.....after I killed one board I take no chances now and literally prep a board for a good hour or more...., eraser, towels, armacell sheets, fans to dry up condesation lots of them and if you still get condensation pull the plug....todays not your day.
    Last edited by chew*; 05-18-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawleZ View Post
    Okay, really dumb question, but I'm having trouble changing the voltages in the BIOS from Auto. Is there an option to enable voltage control?
    Took me a minute to figure that one out also. It's kinda like hiding something in plain site.

Question: I'm running my NB at 2200 atm on stock voltage. What might be a typical NB voltage for running at, say, around 2800. Or maybe, what's a good starting voltage to test and inch down.

And yet another question: I'm triple booting Vista 32/64 and Xp. When I run certain games, like bioshock and cod4 on vista 64, sometimes I get this loooong pause, like a crash is ready and waiting. But alas, it jets back to life. None of my system logs give any indication of problems. Is this an operating system issue?

On a side note, the 1.3 bios for the GD70 shows an awesome improvement for me as an average user. I'm running a 720 at 3.4 w/ voltage 1.375 and NB 2200, w/ OCZ2000 @7.7.7.24 totally rock solid stable 24/7 tastey!!! And now I don't have to hook up two mice to get my behemoth working at bootup. Oh, and my led is showing 28C atm. I like xtremesystems, you should too! Edit: AND I'm showing no vdroop in software!!!
    Last edited by DistortioniZm; 05-18-2009 at 11:13 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DistortioniZm View Post
    Took me a minute to figure that one out also. It's kinda like hiding something in plain site.

Question: I'm running my NB at 2200 atm on stock voltage. What might be a typical NB voltage for running at, say, around 2800. Or maybe, what's a good starting voltage to test and inch down.

And yet another question: I'm triple booting Vista 32/64 and Xp. When I run certain games, like bioshock and cod4 on vista 64, sometimes I get this loooong pause, like a crash is ready and waiting. But alas, it jets back to life. None of my system logs give any indication of problems. Is this an operating system issue?

On a side note, the 1.3 bios for the GD70 shows an awesome improvement for me as an average user. I'm running a 720 at 3.4 w/ voltage 1.375 and NB 2200, w/ OCZ2000 @7.7.7.24 totally rock solid stable 24/7 tastey!!! And now I don't have to hook up two mice to get my behemoth working at bootup. Oh, and my led is showing 28C atm. I like xtremesystems, you should too! Edit: AND I'm showing no vdroop in software!!!
    Good, I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

I too am happy with mine. I haven't had much time to really crank the juice up but I'm at 3250 Mhz w/OCZ1066 @ 7-7-7-16 so far on my 720 BE on 100% stock voltages. Probably tomorrow night I'll have more time start adding vdd to see how this little guy is going to scale.

Ryzen 3800X @ 4.4Ghz
    MSI X570 Unify
    Sapphire Nitro Vega 64
    OCZ Gold 850W ZX Series
    Thermaltake LV10

Xtreme Member
    Good, I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

I too am happy with mine. I haven't had much time to really crank the juice up but I'm at 3250 Mhz w/OCZ1066 @ 7-7-7-16 so far on my 720 BE on 100% stock voltages. Probably tomorrow night I'll have more time start adding vdd to see how this little guy is going to scale.
    I'm assuming you memory is capable of more than 1066 so correct me if I'm wrong. :In the bios memory section there should be an option to change the ratio to 1/4. (I'm totally too lazy to reboot and check) Setting the rated voltage for the memory modules should allow you to achieve their respective rated performance. At 1066 you should be able to run it at 5.5.5.15 @ 1.8v. Please don't quote me on that
    At any rate, at ddr3 7.7.7.24 and (those that are lucky, 6.6.6.24/21@1600mhz) seems to be the sweet spot for these AMD imcs. When you get time: KEEP pushin it!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What are you taking as stock voltages??

Xtreme Member
    For instance:
    I bought these rams:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227310 and the stock volt is 1.9... So my first step was to set the dram volts at 1.9.
    Then I changed the ratio:

Then I started experimenting with the timings, which would be the first 4 settings in the advanced memory settings submenu. Albeit before, 7.7.7.24. ATM I'm booted at 6.6.6.24 and just might try 6.6.6.21 if I have a few more beers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm assuming you memory is capable of more than 1066 so correct me if I'm wrong. :In the bios memory section there should be an option to change the ratio to 1/4. (I'm totally too lazy to reboot and check) Setting the rated voltage for the memory modules should allow you to achieve their respective rated performance. At 1066 you should be able to run it at 5.5.5.15 @ 1.8v. Please don't quote me on that
    At any rate, at ddr3 7.7.7.24 and (those that are lucky, 6.6.6.24/21@1600mhz) seems to be the sweet spot for these AMD imcs. When you get time: KEEP pushin it!!!
    Oh, absolutely. This is my memory:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227293

My memory is at 1236 7-7-7-16 at default voltage currently. I'm sure with more relaxed timings and voltage, I'm sure 1666+ will be achievable.

Ryzen 3800X @ 4.4Ghz
    MSI X570 Unify
    Sapphire Nitro Vega 64
    OCZ Gold 850W ZX Series
    Thermaltake LV10

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I believe default depends on the actual mobo.....iv'e see differences across the board.......Take care when using NB vid however. I have found it to overvolt by .3 volts on my board, confirmed Fluke DMM and readpoint reccomended by MSI.

Have you tried + and - keys for voltage?

I have yet to have an issue using eraser "silly putty" on a motherboad.....namely if you not using ram slots you tape over them and then go right over them with eraser.....
    I'd be happy to take a pic of one of the boards I killed that was completely covered with eraser........looks like brandy new ( without the dishwasher ), however its not getting RMA'd because it did not fail under normal conditions.
    I just didn't have the time that day to drive up and get eraser....I thought silly putty would be ok, and it is, but I had a splash and the liquid does not get soaked up into it.....it just because conductinve....

I might get eraser and go for it, everyone I know is haveing awsome luck with it.....

I might go ahead and still do liquid nail poish or this stuff
    http://img.techpowerup.org/071017/100_0954.jpg
    THATR WORKS MORE THAN GREAT

You can take a frozen pop can and paint it(the liquid plastic) all over it and not see any water beeds fourm up......

I've always been, Frost king, black inulation on top, and di electrical grease all over. This time(first time ever for me)no grease/no nail poish. That silliy putty just made for a sweet 5mins ready to go job!....

(I have yet to try the baord yet......giving it just a little extra fan time...)
    Ryba's Ver 4 DryIce/LN2 pot"
    Cryo-Z Phase-R-507A
    AMD 955
    GD70FX
    Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2),DDR3 PC3-16000(2Ghz)
    2 x 4890 MSi OC Cards
    Maze5, Maze4, 120 Black Ice EX, one 240 Black Ice EX
    Fixed speed pump powered by a 17v meanwell

Xtreme Member
    Oh, absolutely. This is my memory:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227293

My memory is at 1236 7-7-7-16 at default voltage currently. I'm sure with more relaxed timings and voltage, I'm sure 1666+ will be achievable.
    Right ON... Relaxing the timings might yield higher mhz, but IMO wouldn't generate any real world gains. So on to the next: Memory is running good and stable, now time to PUSH IT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Up that PCI-E voltage to help smooth out high NB settings I ran 1.4 on it.
    Cryo-Z Phase-R-507A
    AMD 955
    GD70FX
    2 x 4890 MSi OC Cards

Xtreme Member
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148147
    Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model CT12864BA1067 - Retail
    Cas Latency: 7
    Voltage: 1.5V
    Heat Spreader: No
    Parts: Lifetime limited
    Labor: Lifetime limited

I found this 15usd a stick to be some ok ram! I have ran it at 8-8-8-24 at 1.7 1600Mhz

Didnt really try to oc that stick to death.....
    Cryo-Z Phase-R-507A
    AMD 955
    GD70FX
    2 x 4890 MSi OC Cards

Xtreme Member
    WTF. I booted at 6.6.6.21 and my 3dmark score dropped to 14500, where before it was 15800. Wf ever. PI said all was good... I don't get it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Running BOINC for at least 30min is now my new ultimate stable check test
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=224817
    If there is something wrong your going to lock! Blue Screen something.

If you undo it back does your score come back?
    http://www.tweakers.fr/download/MemSet41b2.zip
    New memset

run windows memtest for about 4 hours, and see if it passes 500% or so.
    http://hcidesign.com/memtest/MemTest.zip

ALSO are you killing everything in taskmanger the same everytime to make sure that your test are always the same?
    Cryo-Z Phase-R-507A
    AMD 955
    GD70FX
    2 x 4890 MSi OC Cards

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMulta View Post
    Running BOINC for at least 30min is now my new ultimate stable check test
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=224817
    If there is something wrong your going to lock! Blue Screen something.

If you undo it back does your score come back?
    http://www.tweakers.fr/download/MemSet41b2.zip
    New memset

run windows memtest for about 4 hours, and see if it passes 500% or so.
    http://hcidesign.com/memtest/MemTest.zip

ALSO are you killing everything in taskmanger the same everytime to make sure that your test are always the same?
    I can't get the memtest cd ISO to work. I used the noob windows memtest though, but, of course that's gRey.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Right ON... Relaxing the timings might yield higher mhz, but IMO wouldn't generate any real world gains. So on to the next: Memory is running good and stable, now time to PUSH IT
    I'll definitely continue cranking as I get some more time. Just curious, you said you're running a 720 BE also, but have you tried enabling ACC?

Ryzen 3800X @ 4.4Ghz
    MSI X570 Unify
    Sapphire Nitro Vega 64
    OCZ Gold 850W ZX Series
    Thermaltake LV10

Xtreme Member
    I'll definitely continue cranking as I get some more time. Just curious, you said you're running a 720 BE also, but have you tried enabling ACC?
    Nope, studies show that the 4th core runs idle in 'most' applications. My cubase 3/ and /5 sees no affect, and games like bioshock and COD4/WAW/Fallout and the like see no real world improvement to me whatsoever. I like to ramp the NB because it seems to get less crackle in my pro audio setup. That's my noob two cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nope, studies show that the 4th core runs idle in 'most' applications. My cubase 3/ and /5 sees no affect, and games like bioshock and COD4/WAW/Fallout and the like see no real world improvement to me whatsoever. I like to ramp the NB because it seems to get less crackle in my pro audio setup. That's my noob two cents.
    Oh I'm all for 3 cores clocked higher than an extra core with a significant sacrifice in OC. But I enabled my ACC just to see and it still booted just the same with just 3 cores. I was under the impression it would either boot with all 4 cores or have issues booting/running stable. It was as if I made no changes at all. I tried the auto setting and "all cores" setting.

Ryzen 3800X @ 4.4Ghz
    MSI X570 Unify
    Sapphire Nitro Vega 64
    OCZ Gold 850W ZX Series
    Thermaltake LV10

Xtreme Member
    Oh I'm all for 3 cores clocked higher than an extra core with a significant sacrifice in OC. But I enabled my ACC just to see and it still booted just the same with just 3 cores. I was under the impression it would either boot with all 4 cores or have issues booting/running stable. It was as if I made no changes at all. I tried the auto setting and "all cores" setting.
    It seems you have been bitten by the XSTreeeem bug. With that kinda crazy talk we might see you freezing off your left hand digits!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It seems you have been bitten by the XSTreeeem bug. With that kinda crazy talk we might see you freezing off your left hand digits!
    Pft, yea right! Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of throwing down $500-600 on a new CPU/Mobo/RAM setup just to submerge under LN2/DICE only to wind up running it through the dishwasher and baking at 350F to ship right back. That's fun and all but I want mine to last a little longer. I don't want to revert back to my old s939 setup again.

Ryzen 3800X @ 4.4Ghz
    MSI X570 Unify
    Sapphire Nitro Vega 64
    OCZ Gold 850W ZX Series
    Thermaltake LV10

Xtreme Member
    Pft, yea right! Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of throwing down $500-600 on a new CPU/Mobo/RAM setup just to submerge under LN2/DICE only to wind up running it through the dishwasher and baking at 350F to ship right back. That's fun and all but I want mine to last a little longer. I don't want to revert back to my old s939 setup again.
    Whoa!! Hey!!! No worries mate, just put on your black hat and throw caution to the uber! Chew and MSIMax should charge hourly What I mean is, take it slow, and don't be afraid to PU
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMulta View Post
    Up that PCI-E voltage to help smooth out high NB settings I ran 1.4 on it.
    Muchaz grassyass!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 81516171819202128 ... LastLast