Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I finally bought something... did I get ripped off?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by iMpathetic View Post
    Xigmatec S1283 ... It's cheap too.

This is one of the coolers I was talking about. Very cheap and within few degrees from the best coolers in the world, like thermalright's TRUE (expensive). Around 4º~6ºc difference when highly OC'ed.

It cools better than the Big Typhoon.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonucci View Post
    This is one of the coolers I was talking about. Very cheap and within few degrees from the best coolers in the world, like thermalright's TRUE (expensive). Around 4º~6ºc difference when highly OC'ed.

It cools better than the Big Typhoon.
    At the cooling level the S1283 has, would WC be worth upgrading to at some point if I feel like it, or not?
    Your local PC noob...
    ..but I'm learning, dammit.

Current Computer Piecemealings:
    Q6600@3.6 1.38V//Antec Three Hundred//Gigabyte X48T-DQ6//Thermaltake Big Typhoon//Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU//2GB Wintec DDR3 1333//2x WD Raptor 150GB//1x WD 200GB IDE HDD//Visiontek HD3870X2 OC//Sony DVD burner//

Xtreme Addict
    Nah..not really, unless you are an WC enthusiast or you want to squeeze that last 50Mhz from the CPU....

Not tomention how much an decent, DIY WC system would cost.

But dude, if you already bought the Big Typhoon, just stick with it, its an good cooler, it just has terrible value....

Unless you can return it of course. If you can return Id recommend you to do so and get one of these xigmateks.

Otherwise, its more money down the drain.....

Xtreme Addict
    At the cooling level the S1283 has, would WC be worth upgrading to at some point if I feel like it, or not?
    Water cooling is worth the upgrade if you have the money. Not just for parts, but for insurance in case something leaks. It happens.
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Vista & Seven Tweaks, Tips, and Tutorials: http://www.vistax64.com/

Game's running choppy? See: http://www.tweakguides.com/

Xtreme Member
    Nah..not really, unless you are an WC enthusiast or you want to squeeze that last 50Mhz from the CPU....

Not tomention how much an decent, DIY WC system would cost.

But dude, if you already bought the Big Typhoon, just stick with it, its an good cooler, it just has terrible value....

Unless you can return it of course. If you can return Id recommend you to do so and get one of these xigmateks.

Otherwise, its more money down the drain.....
    All right, thanks. I'm gonna probably keep it and sell the second system... and then get more RAM, a better CPU, and probably a better mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by B.E.E.F. View Post
    Water cooling is worth the upgrade if you have the money. Not just for parts, but for insurance in case something leaks. It happens.
    I don't follow.... what would leak that would need to be insured against?
    Your local PC noob...

Q6600@3.6 1.38V//Antec Three Hundred//Gigabyte X48T-DQ6//Thermaltake Big Typhoon//Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU//2GB Wintec DDR3 1333//2x WD Raptor 150GB//1x WD 200GB IDE HDD//Visiontek HD3870X2 OC//Sony DVD burner//

Xtreme Addict
    All right, thanks. I'm gonna probably keep it and sell the second system... and then get more RAM, a better CPU, and probably a better mobo.

The mobo you got is very good....the problem is its ddr3 for socket 775. Not good value at all.

The 775 platform has no room for upgrade, core I7 is another socket. With that said, an much cheaper DDR2 mobo with 2 fine 2Gb DDR2 sticks would be just as fast, more ram and cheaper.

I can only see DDR3 platform (mobo+ram) being worthy if it is core I7 or wathever AMD comes with...

Our problem was with spending that much for something without an upgrade path and only 2Gb mem capacity that performs worse (coz its only 2Gb and its low frequency relaxed timmings DDR3) than a cheaper MOBO+4Gb DDR2 combo.
    Last edited by Tonucci; 03-20-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Xtreme Member
    So, should I bother getting new memory?

I am kind of trying to get into the OC "scene"... luckily I have G0 stepping. I actually posted over in the Intel Support section about getting more than 2.88GHz out of the damn thing, hopefully I posted in the right section.
    Your local PC noob...

Xtreme Addict
    So, should I bother getting new memory?

I am kind of trying to get into the OC "scene"... luckily I have G0 stepping. I actually posted over in the Intel Support section about getting more than 2.88GHz out of the damn thing, hopefully I posted in the right section.
    If you cant return your ddr3 combo than no need to change....other than 2Gb more.....2Gb is small nowadays.

If you cant return, than you could just OC your mem along with your other parts, and maybe get 2 more 1Gb sticks.

Can you return your parts ?

Xtreme Member
    Nah, I bought the entire package used off of CL. I would have to be crazy to actually CHOOSE these parts.

Any thoughts as to how I should OC this sucker?
    Your local PC noob...

Xtreme Addict
    I don't follow.... what would leak that would need to be insured against?
    Ummmmmmmmmmm.......

You tell me.
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool

Xtreme Member
    Coolant?

I was confused because I thought you said WC would help protect against leaks.
    Your local PC noob...

Xtreme Addict
    Nah, I bought the entire package used off of CL. I would have to be crazy to actually CHOOSE these parts.

Any thoughts as to how I should OC this sucker?
    Do some research first, find some OC'ing guides and U'll learn. Its easy

Basically increase cpu base Mhz , 266mhz in your case, and control the mem dividers so the mem will run on a stable speed. Wen you reach walls you find out whats the unstable part and add a lil vontage to it. Then you keep doin this untill you reach your top clocks within safe voltages. 1.45v for the CPU is ok, more than that iI dont know.

Keep increasing the FPS slowly, not with big jumps.

You should also check Temperatures at all times with some app like EVEREST, using an stability/torture test app like ORTHOS . If you reach about 70ºc on full load on the CPU I'd stop.

Xtreme Addict
    Coolant?
    Exactly! Leaks happen unless you get a really well built kit (not necessarily expensive).

Xtreme Member
    Do some research first, find some OC'ing guides and U'll learn. Its easy

Basically increase cpu base Mhz , 266mhz in your case, and control the mem dividers so the mem will run on a stable speed. Wen you reach walls you find out whats the unstable part and add a lil vontage to it. Then you keep doin this untill you reach your top clocks within safe voltages. 1.45v for the CPU is ok, more than that iI dont know.

Keep increasing the FPS slowly, not with big jumps.

You should also check Temperatures at all times with some app like EVEREST, using an stability/torture test app like ORTHOS . If you reach about 70ºc on full load on the CPU I'd stop.
    I've read a ton of guides and basically know what to do... what is safe for the memory voltage? it's currently at 1.8V.
    Your local PC noob...

Xtreme Addict
    I've read a ton of guides and basically know what to do... what is safe for the memory voltage? it's currently at 1.8V.
    For ddr3 i dont know well...I'd not go above 1.8v for now

Also, if theres an option for PCI or PCI-E Mhz do not leave at auto, manually set em to 33Mhz and/or 100Mhz respectively.
    Last edited by Tonucci; 03-20-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Okay, I'll try that, thanks!

I have a 2GB stick of Kingston PC6400 I could use if it would OC better.
    Your local PC noob...

Xtreme Addict
    Mem OC yields very low performance increase in most cases.... Max your CPU out than you worry about the mem.

PC6400 is DDR2, it wont fit on your DDR3 board.

Xtreme Member
    It wasn't about OCing the memory, I kind of meant I could stick the other RAM in if the CPU would somehow overclock better.

Since it is a DDR3 board, will it work with these new triple-channel kits? I would love me some 6GB.

Anyway, I have not actually been able to try anything yet... I am not allowed to bring the damn thing over to mom's house because all the technology here is medieval and it might be too sharp of a contrast. When I get to my dad's, I'll roll up my sleeves and GET TO WORK.

BTW, the previous owner of the case told me that it didn't have great airflow. I have a spare Antec Three Hundred that I can use instead of the Rocketfish if it'll help any.
    Your local PC noob...

Xtreme Addict
    It wasn't about OCing the memory, I kind of meant I could stick the other RAM in if the CPU would somehow overclock better.

Since it is a DDR3 board, will it work with these new triple-channel kits? I would love me some 6GB.

Anyway, I have not actually been able to try anything yet... I am not allowed to bring the damn thing over to mom's house because all the technology here is medieval and it might be too sharp of a contrast. When I get to my dad's, I'll roll up my sleeves and GET TO WORK.

BTW, the previous owner of the case told me that it didn't have great airflow. I have a spare Antec Three Hundred that I can use instead of the Rocketfish if it'll help any.
    Nope, triple channel is an Core i7 platform thing, theres no such a thing on your socket.

I personally love the rocketfish case, its an re-branded lian-li. With propper 12cm fans i cant see why it would not have good airflow. To me its 10x more of a case than the Three Hundred.

Xtreme Member
    Are the Lian Li fans in it not very good?

I was thinking about getting some blue LED fans. Also, my friend said he'd trade his S1283 for my Typhoon.

I'm on the big rig now -- time to try and overclock!
    Your local PC noob...

Xtreme Member

First attempt!!

Hey everyone. finally got over to the big rig and have started to fiddle around.

Stats:

9x340MHz
    1.3Vcore, shows up as 1.28 everywhere else
    Set the RAM timing to 2.40B. It said B was for 300ish FSB in the BIOS, so that's what I set it to. RAM is at 1.9V.

Temps look pretty cool! Let it sit for about 5 mins in P95 before taking the screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	under load 3.06 1.3v.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	96645  
    Your local PC noob...

Xtreme Addict
    Are the Lian Li fans in it not very good?

I was thinking about getting some blue LED fans. Also, my friend said he'd trade his S1283 for my Typhoon.

I'm on the big rig now -- time to try and overclock!
    Trade coolers with him FAST

I dont know about lian li fans...so I cant tell. Any decent 120mm fan around 1200RPM or more will do just fine.

With your parts you dont need much cooling.

I wanna see your FSB at 400Mhz ok ? CPU at 3.6 Ghz

If your software readings were correct your PC would not be functioning lol look at the 12v line. It should not exceed a 5% variation. Readings are wrong.

Even tho it may be correct, I recomend coretemp 0.99.4 for CPU temp monitoring.

Good luck buddy !
    Last edited by Tonucci; 03-21-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Should I change anything to go to 400? I highly doubt it'll work without changing anything.
    Your local PC noob...

Xtreme Addict
    Whoa. Lower that ram voltage! It's DDR3 you're working with. It's rated for 1.975 voltage max (unless you have ram for OCing).

Check out the ram modules from the manufacturer's spec page/manual.
    Last edited by B.E.E.F.; 03-21-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Oh.

Well, it's got giant heat spreaders on it. Would that make it RAM for OC'ing? It's Winchip RAM.

Looks exactly like this:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/W...es/package.jpg
    Your local PC noob...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast