Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I finally bought something... did I get ripped off?

Xtreme Member

So I finally bought something... did I get ripped off?

So, a few of you may remember my previous thread where my budget went from $550 to $1300 and whatnot... and I couldn't decide what to buy.

I finally did. It seemed like a hell of a deal... so I went for it. It was $770.

Specs:

-- Rocketfish case
    -- Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU
    -- Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 motherboard
    -- Q6600 @ 3GHz 1.21V
    -- 2GB DDR3 1333MHz
    -- 2x150GB Raptors in RAID 0
    -- Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU cooler
    -- LG DVDRW w/Lightscribe
    -- Sapphire Radeon HD 4350

How good of a value was it? Should I have trusted my instincts?
    Your local PC noob...
    ..but I'm learning, dammit.

Current Computer Piecemealings:
    Q6600@3.6 1.38V//Antec Three Hundred//Gigabyte X48T-DQ6//Thermaltake Big Typhoon//Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU//2GB Wintec DDR3 1333//2x WD Raptor 150GB//1x WD 200GB IDE HDD//Visiontek HD3870X2 OC//Sony DVD burner//

Xtreme Member
    Good stuff! I just don't agree with the thermaltake cooler :P

But hey, it cools all your life.

Xtreme Member
    Well, I wasn't the one that built it. It seems to be keeping the computer VERY cool though....
    Your local PC noob...

Q6600@3.6 1.38V//Antec Three Hundred//Gigabyte X48T-DQ6//Thermaltake Big Typhoon//Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU//2GB Wintec DDR3 1333//2x WD Raptor 150GB//1x WD 200GB IDE HDD//Visiontek HD3870X2 OC//Sony DVD burner//

Quote Originally Posted by iMpathetic View Post
    So, a few of you may remember my previous thread where my budget went from $550 to $1300 and whatnot... and I couldn't decide what to buy.

I finally did. It seemed like a hell of a deal... so I went for it. It was $770.

Specs:

-- Rocketfish case
    -- Q6600 @ 3GHz 1.21V
    -- 2GB DDR3 1333MHz

Let's see, the rocketfish case is a standard case, its very basic and clean lookin'. You can buy a case like that for fairly cheap. The rest looks pretty good, it's got a decent video card and good hard drives. Now to find out if what you paid for was worth it or not, google each product and see how much they are really worth, and then add it all up with taxes and you'll know for sure if you got a good deal or not.

Xtreme Member
    It came to around $1300.
    Your local PC noob...

Live Long And Overclock
    It came to around $1300.
    What came to around $1300? I thought the rig in the first post was for $770?

At any rate, compare your rigs to the ones here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=218744 to see if they are rip offs or not.

Perkam

Xtreme Member
    I mean when I compared it on Newegg.

BTW, strange issue..... when I try to OC it to 3GHz (which was shown to me rock stable when I bought it) Vista will not load. It says there are missing or corrupted system files. A CMOS reset fixes his, but I kind of bought it to run at faster than 2.4GHz!
    Your local PC noob...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusG View Post
    Let's see, the rocketfish case is a standard case, its very basic and clean lookin'. You can buy a case like that for fairly cheap.
    First, they don't make/sell that case anymore. It is a Lian-Li rebrand and a comparable Lian-Li still being made is around $300+. You might be able to buy one for $100 somewhere. It is a VERY nice case. It might be basic and clean looking (that is totally subject to opinion) but it is a great case. It is also quite rare, if you can get one I highly suggest you do. Not trying you be offensive or anything. If you honestly don't like it you are certainly entitled to that opinion.
    I just don't think you can call a giant all alu case "standard".

I think that comp seems like a good deal, especially the raptors, psu, and mobo. If you need help OCing you can post in the Intel section. I think you may need to up the vcore.

Xtreme Mentor
    I mean when I compared it on Newegg.

BTW, strange issue..... when I try to OC it to 3GHz (which was shown to me rock stable when I bought it) Vista will not load. It says there are missing or corrupted system files. A CMOS reset fixes his, but I kind of bought it to run at faster than 2.4GHz!
    more volts =]
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Addict
    It's an unbalanced system.. Motherboard too good, CPU too old (but good nonetheless), too short on RAM ammount, graphics card too bad, an expensive PSU that could power 3 of those systems..

If you check individual prices for each component, it might be a "good deal", but it's a horrible build, and its performance is not on par with a cleverly-built $600 system.

Anyways, why do people keep coming asking for advice after they bought the stuff?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTTenTranz View Post
    Anyways, why do people keep coming asking for advice after they bought the stuff?
    Same reason he made multiple threads asking for specific advice, and then jumping on this system first chance.

OP: This system is definitely not worth $770. Especially the RAM. DDR3 does not make a difference, and there is too little of it. The power supply is too big and simply inflates the price.

The X48 uses the ICH9, whereas the newer, cheaper P45 uses ICH10. Unless you do crossfire (which you're not) there is no point in the X48.

to computer hardware.
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Vista & Seven Tweaks, Tips, and Tutorials: http://www.vistax64.com/

Game's running choppy? See: http://www.tweakguides.com/

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by B.E.E.F. View Post
    Same reason he made multiple threads asking for specific advice, and then jumping on this system first chance.
    Gee and how did it come to this? No one answered or he just didn't listen?

Xtreme Addict

Specs:

-- Rocketfish case
    -- Q6600 @ 3GHz 1.21V
    -- 2GB DDR3 1333MHz

Case: excellent (if it is the re-branded lian-li)
    PSU: Overpriced, overpowered and outdated
    MOBO: I'd get ddr3 mobo for core i7 only
    CPU: ok
    MEM: Low capacity, expensive and slow compared with DDR2
    HDD's: You should have invested in something else...or go with velociraptors
    COOLER: Old, expensive and performs not so well compared to HDT tower coolers.
    VIDEO: Decent for non-gaming.

Just my opinion....looks like you disregarded all advices in your other thread

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTTenTranz View Post
    Gee and how did it come to this? No one answered or he just didn't listen?
    Of course people answered. And with good advice too!

OP: When you do something like this, its best to be quiet.
    You come ask for advice, and then go do the opposite. If you're not planning to listen, then don't ask for more advice. You've wasted everyone's time, you jerk.
    Last edited by B.E.E.F.; 03-18-2009 at 08:32 AM.
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool

Xtreme Member
    cool!! good buy apart from the cooler

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.E.E.F. View Post
    Of course people answered. And with good advice too!

OP: When you do something like this, its best to be quiet.
    You come ask for advice, and then go do the opposite. If you're not planning to listen, then don't ask for more advice. You've wasted everyone's time, you jerk.
    All right, now that I do object to.

I don't think it's fair to call me a jerk for making a decision for myself. I could not bring myself to buy a brand-new system off of newegg or something... what I truly needed was a laptop, but I really enjoy tinkering, so I essentially convinced myself it was a good deal and worth the complete disregard for what was necessary.

Truth be told, I often get yelled at on forums because I don't do EXACTLY what the *insert topic* Messiah tells me to. One time I bought a bike because I liked it (God forbid) and I was ripped apart in a ten-page thread because the bike I bought was "too heavy" for me, or something like that. I never recovered from that blow to my reputation, and have basically been driven off of that forum at this point.

Now, I really do not want to start anything here. I LOVE this forum, even though a lot of this stuff may be way over my head, it's fun to read and try and learn -- and, if I may point out, don't we learn from our mistakes?

To anyone who may be offended by my apparent lack of disregard for the Code of Hammurabi that is your opinion, I am sorry. I hope I will still continue to receive opinions on here... I remember, I did get a lot of help with my very first build back in June, and I did actually follow a lot of that advice. I consider all advice I am given. I just think it should be me who pulls the final trigger, considering it's my money (no offense). I seem to buy a lot of things based on instinct. In the Mac world, it's usually right, because I know what I'm doing. The same does not go for the custom PC side of the street, but I am working on it.

So, with that in mind, I would like to point out that, being 15 and subject to the financial whims of my parents and various other people, my budget is quite volatile. It used to be $1350, went down to $550, went down again to $325, went up to $1050, went down to $900, and then deposited me at $770. It was originally 1200, which even I knew was a horrible deal, so I talked him down to see if he could take parts out -- in the end, all I lost was the 4870X2.

I also think that one man's good computer may be another's lump of sh*t. I know, I'm gonna get crappy frame rates, I don't care. I haven't gamed since I was about ten.

As for the reason I jumped on it, the Rocketfish case it's in was in fact the very same case I was gonna buy from a member and friend on here, but he sold it to someone else before I could raise the funds (which is fine, it took me three months). Always loved that case, I think it's really cool.

Anyway, I hope that helped.

Sorry everyone.
    Your local PC noob...

Xtreme Member
    Oh, by the way... Pics!!!! (Sorry they suck.)

Your local PC noob...

Xtreme Member
    First word, FOCUS!

Yep thats the Rocketfish aka Rebranded Lian Li case, wish I could find one.

That 1kw Galaxy PSU probably costs more than the CPU, GPU, and RAM combined. Real balanced system you got there!

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry everyone.
    It annoys me when people come here asking for advice and help, knowing full well they won't use it.

Of course the final decision is up to you, but if you intend on not taking any advice, then why do you ask in the first place? Think about it. You waste my time and yours.

I'm out.

Xtreme Addict
    All right, now that I do object to.

I don't think it's fair to call me a jerk for making a decision for myself. I could not bring myself to buy a brand-new system off of newegg or something... what I truly needed was a laptop, but I really enjoy tinkering, so I essentially convinced myself it was a good deal and worth the complete disregard for what was necessary.

Truth be told, I often get yelled at on forums because I don't do EXACTLY what the *insert topic* Messiah tells me to. One time I bought a bike because I liked it (God forbid) and I was ripped apart in a ten-page thread because the bike I bought was "too heavy" for me, or something like that. I never recovered from that blow to my reputation, and have basically been driven off of that forum at this point.

Now, I really do not want to start anything here. I LOVE this forum, even though a lot of this stuff may be way over my head, it's fun to read and try and learn -- and, if I may point out, don't we learn from our mistakes?

To anyone who may be offended by my apparent lack of disregard for the Code of Hammurabi that is your opinion, I am sorry. I hope I will still continue to receive opinions on here... I remember, I did get a lot of help with my very first build back in June, and I did actually follow a lot of that advice. I consider all advice I am given. I just think it should be me who pulls the final trigger, considering it's my money (no offense). I seem to buy a lot of things based on instinct. In the Mac world, it's usually right, because I know what I'm doing. The same does not go for the custom PC side of the street, but I am working on it.

So, with that in mind, I would like to point out that, being 15 and subject to the financial whims of my parents and various other people, my budget is quite volatile. It used to be $1350, went down to $550, went down again to $325, went up to $1050, went down to $900, and then deposited me at $770. It was originally 1200, which even I knew was a horrible deal, so I talked him down to see if he could take parts out -- in the end, all I lost was the 4870X2.

I also think that one man's good computer may be another's lump of sh*t. I know, I'm gonna get crappy frame rates, I don't care. I haven't gamed since I was about ten.

As for the reason I jumped on it, the Rocketfish case it's in was in fact the very same case I was gonna buy from a member and friend on here, but he sold it to someone else before I could raise the funds (which is fine, it took me three months). Always loved that case, I think it's really cool.

Anyway, I hope that helped.

Sorry everyone.
    Its not about we thinking our opinions are better then your buying insticts lol

Even tho you had a thread full of great advices, you disregarded everything and made some terible choices there buddy...Awefull pc for its price.

We talk from experience and years of knoledge. Better be guided by us than waste money (and our time) on a completely unbalanced, expensive and underperforming PC.

With the same ammount of money u could have had a much better performing rig.

Xtreme Addict
    Apparently, you don't learn from your mistakes, since you did exactly the same thing here and in that bike forum.

To anyone who may be offended by my apparent lack of disregard for the Code of Hammurabi that is your opinion, I am sorry.
    Trying to turn this into some kind of extremism and being sarcastic won't make you look any better.
    It's not simply because you didn't follow the advices.
    It's because you first asked for a favor, which was to get the XS members to advise you about a system for a certain price. Then some XS users, who could have been spending their time with other, more productive stuff, decided to help you and posted their knowledgeable thoughts about your needs.

And in the end you decided to return that favor by ignoring every advice that was given to you. Not happy with that, you also decided to come here and rub it in everyone's faces, with pictures to boot!
    If you didn't follow the advices, at least don't come here waving your arms saying you didn't. How did you think that would feel for the people who helped you in that 3 page thread dedicated to you?

Buying stuff on a whim and being ripped off isn't that much of a problem. It happens everyday to most people who buy desktops. It's a big problem when you get ripped off after wasting the XS users' time.

This is probably what happened in that bike forum. You're just too self-centered to realise it.

So, with that in mind, I would like to point out that, being 15 and subject to the financial whims of my parents and various other people, my budget is quite volatile.
    (...)
    Yeah the difference is that yours is a lump of sh*t for everyone, gamers and non-gamers alike, considering what you paid for it.

I guess you don't value your money after all. Maybe you shouldn't have had more than $325 to spend from the start. That way, you would've wasted less money.

I hope I will still continue to receive opinions on here...
    You won't.
    Not with that attitude and certainly not from me.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    As much as I agree with the spirit of the objections raised, the substance of a lot of posts in this thread leaves a lot to be desired. If you can't state your opinions without swearing and in a civil manner, please don't post.

Thread reported for cleaning.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member

So, say I were to just undo that post and post something else instead.... what should I have said? I was truly trying to not make anyone mad... but I suppose I suck at that, don't I?

I really did not mean to appear arrogant or anything. I didn't really know what to say in that post.
    Your local PC noob...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey96 View Post
    That 1kw Galaxy PSU probably costs more than the CPU, GPU, and RAM combined. Real balanced system you got there!
    Hey, you can take that up with the guy who built it.
    Your local PC noob...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast