Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread

Hybrid View

Xtreme Guru

Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread

i've been meaning to do a small overview/ overclocking test thread of my awesome Evga x58 sli motherboard for Xs.
    even though this motherboard has been launched a while a go i still haven't seen a general overview/ :banana::banana::banana:/ ocing report about this very capable x58 motherboard.
    i hope you all will enjoy the pics and benchies that i will post to this thread and your all free to do so too

here are the specs of the Evga x58 motherboard

Performance
    Based on Intel X58/ICH10R chipset
    Supports Intel Core i7 Processors
    133 Mhz QPI Memory
    6 x 240-pin DIMM sockets
    Triple Channel DDR3
    Maximum of 12GB of DDR3 1600MHz+ (SZ1A BIOS) Expansion Slot
    1 x PCIe x16, 1 x PCIe x8/x16, 1 x PCIe x8, 1 x PCIe x1, 2 x PCI
    2 x 32-bit PCI, support for PCI 2.1
    Storage I/O
    1 x UltraDMA133
    9 x Serial ATA 300MB/sec with support for RAID 0, RAID1, RAID 0+1, RAID5, JBOD
    x Floppy disk drive connector
    Integrated Peripherals
    8 Channel High Definition
    2 x 10/100/1000
    Multi I/O
    1 x PS2 Keyboard
    1 x Serial Ports
    12 x USB2.0 ports (4 external + 8 internal headers)
    Audio connector (Line-in, Line-out, MIC)
    FireWire 1394A (1 external, 1 header)
    Form Factor
    ATX Form Factor
    Length: 12.0in - 304.8mm
    Width: 9.6in - 243.6mm
    you can find the full manual here: http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/132-BL-E758.pdf

some pics of the motherboard.

special thanks for Heidi my professional photographer girlfriend for helping me get better close up pics
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Xtreme Guru
    the bioses available for this board, the list will be updated as newer bioses are put out

E758SZ2R.bin: ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E758SZ2R.bin
    E758SZ2F.bin: ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E758SZ2F.bin
    E758SZ2E.bin: ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E758SZ2E.bin
    E758SZ27.bin: ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E758SZ27.bin
    E758SZ21.bin: ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E758SZ21.bin
    E758SZ1N.bin: ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E758SZ1N.bin
    E758SZ1G.bin: ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E758SZ1G.bin
    E758SZ1C.bin: ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E758SZ1C.bin
    E758SZ1A.bin: ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E758SZ1A.bin
    E758_SZ19.bin:ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E758_SZ19.bin
    E758_SZ18.bin:ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E758_SZ18.bin
    E758_SZ17.bin: ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E758_SZ17.bin
    E758_SZ15.bin: ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E758_SZ15.bin
    E758_SZ14.bin: ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/E758_SZ14.bin

btw guys here is the board under subzero cooling and it performs pretty well imo http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Last edited by Solarfall; 10-01-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    let's get it going man.
    Nice stuff
    Proud owner of an iPhone3G 16G White

SpiTweaker by Monteboy,try it

Xtreme Guru
    i made a new mounting bracket to my D-tek fuzion block and of course i had to try how my chip overclocks with watercooling.
    this is just little warm up

Was wondering why I didnt see a thread on this board yet. It's a good board. Pretty easy to use as well. Are you using the E758SZ21 bios? That is the newest version correct?
    Rig:Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2 (200x21) w/TRUE // Evga x58 // 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 // Evga GTX 285 // WD VeloctiRaptor 150gb x2 Raid 0 & WD Cavier black 1TB // Antec 1200

thinking of getting this board is the NB fan noisy?

Quote Originally Posted by pa9797 View Post
    thinking of getting this board is the NB fan noisy?
    Not at all, just turned all my case fans down to try and listen in.
    Rig:Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2 (200x21) w/TRUE // Evga x58 // 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 // Evga GTX 285 // WD VeloctiRaptor 150gb x2 Raid 0 & WD Cavier black 1TB // Antec 1200

hi solar this is what works for me

For those interested in Extreme Overclocking

When Extreme Cooling the EVGA Classified or regular board, I usually have a set fix of steps.

My Observation/Theory:

The i7 CPUs are kinda different from the LGA775 CPUs when extreme cooling them. Temperature makes a huge difference in the amount of current / speed with which current flows through the CPU. The CPU does not like it when it’s comfortable level is passed. The higher the Voltage the faster the current flows. The cooler the temperature, the faster the current flows. The more loaded the CPU, the more the amount of current flows.
    So you may observe instances such as these:

Your CPU is stable at 4.6GHz 1.8v VCore at -20C but unstable at 4.6GHz 1.8v VCore at -100C. (Though you will be able to run higher Vcore when cold on EVGA X58s compared to other X58s.)

Your CPU is stable sitting in Desktop at 5GHz -130C 1.6v but unstable running through CPU Tests and you need to run warmer than -120C to pass CPU Tests or lower VCore to 1.55v to pass CPU Tests at -130C. (CPU Tests puts a lot of current through your CPU and the colder the temperature/the higher the voltage that faster it flows – till it surpasses the comfort zone)

Your CPU is not stable at -120C with 3.6GHz Uncore but stable at -120C with 4.5GHz Uncore. (Higher Uncore warms the CPU so that the actual CPU Die is warmer)

Why not tape up some of the VCC (VCore) or VSS (Ground) pins of the CPU to lower this effect? That would be like adding weights to a Race car so it slows down and doesn’t flip at corners – you cover up a hole and open another.

So in effect it is a situation one has to handle and the trick is to find the optimum sweetspot combination of temperature, Frequencies (CPU Core, Uncore, Memory) and voltage.

So a typical Extreme Cooling session for me is like this:

Flip the jumper X-Cool to the 2-3 position, or for the regular board I choose Extreme Cooling Mode 2.

http://g.imagehost.org/0714/1_15.jpg

Then I boot up and start setting settings. (This typically happens for me before I go lower than -50C on the CPU).

I set the voltages (when Extreme Overclocking/Cooling):

http://g.imagehost.org/0205/5_6.jpg

I also set the Memory Timings and Ratios.

I set 25x Multiplier (as I’m using 965XE).
    I calculate the target Hostclock I have in mind (For eg, I’m aiming to run 29 x 169MHz -> 4900 MHz I tend to stick to 29x) so I key in 169 MHz here.
    I set the Uncore Multiplier of my target.

Note: I tend to set these before CPU hits lower than -40/-50C. I always boot at 25x CPU Multiplier and 1.45 – 1.5v VCore. I always boot at or close to the Host Clock I wanna run.

Then I go into OS and use ELEET or the enclosed ECP Accessory to fine tune CPU VCore (typically the sweet spot ends up around 1.55 - 1.7v) and CPU Multiplier as temperatures drop further. When I reboot to go into the BIOS henceforth, I only adjust DIMM Voltage, or Host Clock, and not options that require a shutdown and poweron again (Such as Memory Ratio/Uncore Ratio), especially when my CPU is @ -100C.

This is what works best for me.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bahlgren342 View Post
    Was wondering why I didnt see a thread on this board yet. It's a good board. Pretty easy to use as well. Are you using the E758SZ21 bios? That is the newest version correct?
    hehe yeah i was wondering the same thing too compared to dfi x58 board i find the evga x58 little bit easier to overclock/ and it does not seem to need so much voltage to hit high clocks as the dfi x58 board.
    and yes im using the latest bios, the E758SZ1N had similar ocing potential, i was able to hit 4.9ghz (superpi 32m stable) with my cascade with that one too, only think i noticed was

Quote Originally Posted by LardArse View Post
    hi solar this is what works for me

For those interested in Extreme Overclocking

When Extreme Cooling the EVGA Classified or regular board, I usually have a set fix of steps.

My Observation/Theory:

The i7 CPUs are kinda different from the LGA775 CPUs when extreme cooling them. Temperature makes a huge difference in the amount of current / speed with which current flows through the CPU. The CPU does not like it when it’s comfortable level is passed. The higher the Voltage the faster the current flows. The cooler the temperature, the faster the current flows. The more loaded the CPU, the more the amount of current flows.
    So you may observe instances such as these:

Your CPU is stable at 4.6GHz 1.8v VCore at -20C but unstable at 4.6GHz 1.8v VCore at -100C. (Though you will be able to run higher Vcore when cold on EVGA X58s compared to other X58s.)

Your CPU is stable sitting in Desktop at 5GHz -130C 1.6v but unstable running through CPU Tests and you need to run warmer than -120C to pass CPU Tests or lower VCore to 1.55v to pass CPU Tests at -130C. (CPU Tests puts a lot of current through your CPU and the colder the temperature/the higher the voltage that faster it flows – till it surpasses the comfort zone)

Your CPU is not stable at -120C with 3.6GHz Uncore but stable at -120C with 4.5GHz Uncore. (Higher Uncore warms the CPU so that the actual CPU Die is warmer)

Why not tape up some of the VCC (VCore) or VSS (Ground) pins of the CPU to lower this effect? That would be like adding weights to a Race car so it slows down and doesn’t flip at corners – you cover up a hole and open another.

So in effect it is a situation one has to handle and the trick is to find the optimum sweetspot combination of temperature, Frequencies (CPU Core, Uncore, Memory) and voltage.

So a typical Extreme Cooling session for me is like this:

Flip the jumper X-Cool to the 2-3 position, or for the regular board I choose Extreme Cooling Mode 2.

http://g.imagehost.org/0714/1_15.jpg

Then I boot up and start setting settings. (This typically happens for me before I go lower than -50C on the CPU).

I set the voltages (when Extreme Overclocking/Cooling):

http://g.imagehost.org/0205/5_6.jpg

I also set the Memory Timings and Ratios.

I set 25x Multiplier (as I’m using 965XE).
    I calculate the target Hostclock I have in mind (For eg, I’m aiming to run 29 x 169MHz -> 4900 MHz I tend to stick to 29x) so I key in 169 MHz here.
    I set the Uncore Multiplier of my target.

Note: I tend to set these before CPU hits lower than -40/-50C. I always boot at 25x CPU Multiplier and 1.45 – 1.5v VCore. I always boot at or close to the Host Clock I wanna run.

Then I go into OS and use ELEET or the enclosed ECP Accessory to fine tune CPU VCore (typically the sweet spot ends up around 1.55 - 1.7v) and CPU Multiplier as temperatures drop further. When I reboot to go into the BIOS henceforth, I only adjust DIMM Voltage, or Host Clock, and not options that require a shutdown and poweron again (Such as Memory Ratio/Uncore Ratio), especially when my CPU is @ -100C.

This is what works best for me.
    hey lardy thats pretty much the same testing method i used while finding the max clocks that my cpu is capable of doing on this board.. first i find the clocks that allow me to boot into OS and then use eleet software to fine tune the max stable clocks by trial and error. usually i just raise the base clock by 5 like from 210 to 215 and stress the cpu if i the stressing test crashes i just use the eleet tool to raise the volts a little bit.. using this method i've been able to get to 234 base clock speeds.
    i think i will have to try next that pmw frequency setting if it helps in getting more out from my cpu so far i've left that to auto.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It is guides and support like this that makes me want to buy the board right now!!! Thanks guys, very informative!!

More & more very expensive, quickly obsolete parts!!

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for this guys...This thread will surely help me...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

Xtreme Guru
    woopsie seems like on that last session my waterblock /cpu contact was really bad so i adjusted that and got little bit better clocks this time.
    my water temps were fairly good the whole time.. hehe got to love living in a iglo
    o

i think these are clocks are fairly good for just watercooling..
    ooh and in case any one is wondering what sort of watercooling gear i used here is the list:

-eheim submersible 1250 pump ( one of the best and reliable pumps out there )
    -D-tek fuzion v1
    -1/2" dirty as hell tubing lol +danger den highflow barbs
    -rad from a ford ?? i have no idea what model but its not really important more important is that it works

Xtreme Member
    Hey guys. I'm looking to go x58 soon. This the board to get? I'm considering the 2 yr. warranty version. EVGA told me that it's physically identical to the lifetime warranty version, but it's $50 cheaper AR. Thoughts??

Someone else recommended the DFI board, but I've never used a DFI board before. Also, how about this RAM to go with it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231247

Voltages, speeds, and price all seem a good balance. Any advice?
    Workstation/Playstation: i7 920 D0 @ 3.8, TRUE, EVGA x58, BFG GTX 295, WD 640x2 in RAID 0, 12GB OCZ DDR3, ATCS 840, Dell 24" & Samsung 19", Razer Lycosa and Logitech G9r, HTO Striker, Windows 7 Ult. 64, Antec TruePower 1000w.
    Wife's Computer: E4500 @ 3.0GHz on 1.36v, Rocketfish CPU Cooler, Foxconn, 4GB Corsair, Sea 250, Antec Sonata w/500w, ATI 2400, 17" Samsung, Vista Ult. 32.
    HTPC: X2 2400BE, 500GB + 750GB + 80GB, ATI 3450 Hybrid CF w/Asus 780G, 4GB A-Data 800MHz DDR2, 32" Westinghouse, XBOX 360 HDDVD (w/o xbox), Aver DTV Tuner, Huappage DTV tuner, Windows 7 32 bit.
    PDAs: iPod Touch 16GB and Samsung Omnia

See my work log here: PROJECT ATCS 840

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKronan View Post
    Hey guys. I'm looking to go x58 soon. This the board to get? I'm considering the 2 yr. warranty version. EVGA told me that it's physically identical to the lifetime warranty version, but it's $50 cheaper AR. Thoughts??

Someone else recommended the DFI board, but I've never used a DFI board before. Also, how about this RAM to go with it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231247

Voltages, speeds, and price all seem a good balance. Any advice?
    well i can only speak for my self.. i've owned 2 x58 boards thus far. this evga x58 sli and Dfi x58 t3eh8 both of them are fantastic boards, but so far i've been more successful in overclocking on evga board. what comes to performance between these 2 they are pretty neck to neck.. from my experience i would say that in 3d apps the evga is little better and in 2d like super pi and such the dfi model is little better..

about that ram im currently using the g.skill 2000mhz model so im fairly confident that you wont get any compatibility issues if you deside to go for those sticks...also i've heard that a-data ddr3 sticks are fairly too for there price ( im talking about the lower end models here) like the 1333 or 1600 mhz models might be just what your looking for
    i hope this helps
    Last edited by Solarfall; 03-16-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Great board
    Seems that ONLY advantage of EVGA is sweet Eleet utility
    wish DFI could have such tuning tool
    BTW does PWM gets hot on this board?
    MOSFET heatsink is kinda small

p.s. Solarfall, donno why but DFI still remains in your avatar
    Last edited by OverDozeD; 03-17-2009 at 02:43 AM.

Core i7 920 <|> DFI LANPARTY UT X58 T3eH8 <|> OCZ Platinium 3GB DDR3 CL7 1600Mhz <|> ZOTAC GTX260 c216 <|> Ultra120 2X Noctua 1300RPM <|> Gigabyte ODIN PRO 800W <|> Samsung 275T 27" PVA

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by OverDozeD View Post
    Great board
    Seems that ONLY advantage of EVGA is sweet Eleet utility
    wish DFI could have such tuning tool
    BTW does PWM gets hot on this board?
    MOSFET heatsink is kinda small

p.s. Solarfall, donno why but DFI still remains in your avatar
    the pwm does get a little hot..pretty much the same way as the dfi x58 board. but its not a broblem if there is atleast little air flow going trought the fins
    lol and i have that pic of dfi board still as my avatar cos im extremely lazy to change it

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarfall View Post
    the pwm does get a little hot..pretty much the same way as the dfi x58 board. but its not a broblem if there is atleast little air flow going trought the fins
    lol and i have that pic of dfi board still as my avatar cos im extremely lazy to change it
    The EVGA is probably the one I'm going to get, but I sure hope it's better than my experience thus far with my 780i from them. Stupid thing won't hit 3.0GHz stable with my Q6700, no matter what settings or cooling I use, what temps, what PSU, what graphics. It's a complete overclocking failure.

I've read a LOT more positive reviews about the x58 from them though. The consensus is extremely positive, rather than split like it was (and still is) on the 780i.
    Workstation/Playstation: i7 920 D0 @ 3.8, TRUE, EVGA x58, BFG GTX 295, WD 640x2 in RAID 0, 12GB OCZ DDR3, ATCS 840, Dell 24" & Samsung 19", Razer Lycosa and Logitech G9r, HTO Striker, Windows 7 Ult. 64, Antec TruePower 1000w.
    Wife's Computer: E4500 @ 3.0GHz on 1.36v, Rocketfish CPU Cooler, Foxconn, 4GB Corsair, Sea 250, Antec Sonata w/500w, ATI 2400, 17" Samsung, Vista Ult. 32.
    HTPC: X2 2400BE, 500GB + 750GB + 80GB, ATI 3450 Hybrid CF w/Asus 780G, 4GB A-Data 800MHz DDR2, 32" Westinghouse, XBOX 360 HDDVD (w/o xbox), Aver DTV Tuner, Huappage DTV tuner, Windows 7 32 bit.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've gone through Asus p6t, Biostar and EVGA, Biostar proved to be the best overclocker with my chip. I could get 4ghz easily on Biostar but with EVGA, chip tops out at 3.8... I dunno why but I suspect the extra molex connector on biostar mobo has something to do with more stable voltage, EVGA vdroops like crasy (I'm a chicken to enable 'withoug vdroop', lol). I'm watercooling, btw
    Sig is under construction

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anzial View Post
    I've gone through Asus p6t, Biostar and EVGA, Biostar proved to be the best overclocker with my chip. I could get 4ghz easily on Biostar but with EVGA, chip tops out at 3.8... I dunno why but I suspect the extra molex connector on biostar mobo has something to do with more stable voltage, EVGA vdroops like crasy (I'm a chicken to enable 'withoug vdroop', lol). I'm watercooling, btw
    Link to Biostar?

Also would anyone else recommend the Biostar over the EVGA board? I have nothing against Biostar. In fact, I'm having better luck with with Biostar than Foxconn of late...

Never used either of those brands for more than basic builds though.

Xtreme Guru
    Link to Biostar?

Also would anyone else recommend the Biostar over the EVGA board? I have nothing against Biostar. In fact, I'm having better luck with with Biostar than Foxconn of late...

Never used either of those brands for more than basic builds though.
    well from what i've seen its not too bad.. but the performance could be better, biostar has really stepped up there game lately soo if your on a tight budget it might a good brand to consider

did some preliminary 3d stability testing for the up coming benching session with my cascade and its looking pretty nice imo. im pretty confident that i can push this cpu even further, and of course physics is disabled.. on a side note..man!! i got to learn some vantage tweaks lol

Last edited by Solarfall; 03-18-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarfall View Post
    well from what i've seen its not too bad.. but the performance could be better, biostar has really stepped up there game lately soo if your on a tight budget it might a good brand to consider

did some preliminary 3d stability testing for the up coming benching session with my cascade and its looking pretty nice imo. im pretty confident that i can push this cpu even further, and of course physics is disabled.. on a side note..man!! i got to learn some vantage tweaks lol
    Price is kinda moot right now, as they are both about the same if you get the EVGA with the 2 yr. instead of lifetime, which is what I was planning. Both being about the same price, should I just stick with the EVGA?

And does it really have nine SATA ports like Newegg says???

Nice numbers BTW.

Xtreme Guru
    Price is kinda moot right now, as they are both about the same if you get the EVGA with the 2 yr. instead of lifetime, which is what I was planning. Both being about the same price, should I just stick with the EVGA?

And does it really have nine SATA ports like Newegg says???

Nice numbers BTW.
    well it comes down to what features you want your board to have.. personally im loving my evga cos of its easy overclockability its much more easier to get stable too than the dfi board but once you get the settings right the dfi board is pretty stable too.. but like i said both are excellent boards it comes down to your personal preferences that you wish your board to have, you cant really go wrong with ether one of those boards i've gotten both of then past 230 base clock.
    evga: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    dfi: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=214360

and yep it does have 9 sata ports im guessing they counted that esata too.. but there is even more sata leads that you can have in expansion card that comes with the dfi board

Xtreme Addict
    dang Solar, first of all, great thread and second....nice effing clocks man.
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Xtreme Addict
    Impressive stuff all of this... I have a question though:

I'm running cpu PWM @ 1066khz frequency, but I use 1.40v 4.2ghz 24/7 on my i7 920... could I set the PWM frequency to 933khz since I really don't overclock with absurdly high voltages anyway?
    lol... This forum requires that you wait 70 seconds between posts. Please try again in 8 seconds.
    *phone rings*
    Friend: Do you have a spare PSU lying around?
    Me: No why?
    Friend: My PSU just blew up, I think the second 8800GTX might have been too much for it to handle
    Me: what PSU was that again?
    Friend: Antec 480w
    Me:........

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    Impressive stuff all of this... I have a question though:

I'm running cpu PWM @ 1066khz frequency, but I use 1.40v 4.2ghz 24/7 on my i7 920... could I set the PWM frequency to 933khz since I really don't overclock with absurdly high voltages anyway?
    im pretty sure you could do that without encountering any instability issues if you lower it down it does not seem to be essential in "lower" clocks like 4.0-4.7 after that it does seem to help slightly to make your overall performance more stabil
    Last edited by Solarfall; 03-22-2009 at 06:46 AM.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast