Thread: Big thread over at Wilders Security...

Big thread over at Wilders Security...

Here's an interesting thread called:

What is your security setup these days?

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showt...111264&page=74

I won't bother reading back past Jan 2008 since software changes so often it would be irrelevant. One could gather some good information there.

Personally I think some people are too paranoid and go overkill with their setup...others go for a lean and efficient setup.
    Last edited by Soulburner; 03-13-2009 at 04:33 PM.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    Personally I think some people are too paranoid and go overkill with their setup...others go for a lean and efficient setup.
    Yes people are paranoid. I use a hardware firewall(router) and windows firewall and no av. I have yet to have a problem and I have been doing his for months. Usually once a month I do download a AV and scan just to be sure though.
    Asus Crosshair III
    Phenom X2 550@X4
    Cooler Master V10
    2x2gb G-SKILL DDR3
    ASUS HD 4890 Top
    Antec 850w
    WD 500gb
    WD 80gb

Engineering The Xtreme
    I dont run anything but widows stuff on my main rig.... for over a year now

Xtreme Gentoo User
    I don't use any real security software at all on Windows, just stuff like ProcessMonitor, and manual filesystem checks from BartPE or another OS. I did that for 4 years without any dodgy stuff getting in, and only stopped counting because I'm back on GNU/Linux full time again. Alot of people on Wilders Security are either idiots, or just paranoid. They either seem to think that using every security tool they can find will actually protect them from new, unknown rootkits, or they think that they're constantly being targeted. Unless you're actually being directly targeted, in which case all the security software in the world will make no difference if you're still running Windows with it's myriad of unpatched vulnerabilities dating years back, commonsense will usually keep you safe.

Using a real browser (and obscure to the point that people hardly bother trying to find/exploit vulnerabilities) like Opera with JS/Plug-ins disabled and adservers known to have dodgy stuff in their rotation blocked, installing updates for your system AND applications straight away, using limited priveleges except where neccessary, running unknown binaries in a VM or sandbox and generally not being an absolute moron is far more effective than relying on silly kids security tools. The majority of stuff they detect/remove is easily found/removed manually and anyone who is security conscious should notice when something is amiss. All of the really nasty/new/well-coded stuff isn't even detected by most antivirus software rendering it pretty much useless, anyway.

The alternative is to just use *nix or GNU/Linux, it's not bulletproof like the majority of stupid, uneducated fanboys who think Ubuntu is as good as it gets will have you believe but there's very little malware written for it targeting desktop users, and if you're directly targeted by someone who knows what they're doing, they're going to find a way into your box regardless of OS. Of course a system is only as secure as the software being used on it, so if you use outdated stuff you're in trouble anyway.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofpuppets View Post
    *snip*
    Very well said.

You must admit though, for the class of user you're talking about, Ubuntu probably is as good as it gets - not meaning this in a disparaging sense, but rather from a round-peg-round-hole view.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Addict
    Unprotected just feels that much better in my opinion.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by tool_462 View Post
    Unprotected just feels that much better in my opinion.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    I thought I was the only person in the world who didn't use antivirus software anymore.
    I do use a software firewall though(sygate). They're so much more versatile than hardware.
    MB:Asus XXX242 Pigiron
    Cpu:Intel OctXaser @ 14.4Ghz
    Ram:24gb 25600 Mushkin Fusion 3-2-2.6
    Gpu:2xDiamond EL Bolt 8GB DDR6 Xfire
    HDs-Quad Raptor 4 1TB ramdrives(R0)
    Psu:PCP&C 1.5KW Gen series 2

Xtreme Addict
    I always run too much security software, I know it. I've already run in the past OS's with nothing except Windows Firewall during months and unsurprisingly nothing happened. So why do I run that stuff now? because I like the way some security software work, more a hobby than a necessity I admit ; As to people complaining about multiple recurrent infections on their systems, the first thing to ask is not what security they got on their OS, but where they surf

Agree on Linux (I dual boot with it). Linux is not safe because it's Linux, it's safe because it's not being targeted, that's all. It doesn't represent enough rigs to contaminate etc..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]