Thread: Automatic Remote Reset and Power Cycle

Xtreme Member

Automatic Remote Reset and Power Cycle

Here's one that I think should work, but I'm not sure how to execute it (or if there is something that will do it automatically.

Over the past two days, either my Comcast cable modem, or the Linksys WRT600N have stopped working while powered on. I know there are remote power cycling strips with built in web servers so I ordered one yesterday. My question is whether or not anyone knows of a remote power cycling strip that can do link-testing. My issue is that since the problem is either the WAN connection, or the router, I cannot access the remote power cycler's web server when the WAN link fails. If possible, I would like to either buy a unit that can try pinging yahoo.com or something once every minute, and if it receives no response five times in a row, ideally it would cycle the cable modem and router.

My alternative is that I just try paying someone to do the same using the current hardware.

If anyone has thoughts or ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.
    Core i7 920 watercooled @ 4.2ghz, 12GB Corsair Dominator GT C7, Gigabyte X58 Extreme,
    Cosmos S, 2x EVGA GTX 470 watercooled, Blu-Ray, DVD RW
    All to drive a 47" 1920x1080 monitor :-)
    My Site: http://www.servethehome.com

Current Project: The Big WHS (40 Drives) Build Progress

a php/perl script using ping a curl could probably do this for you.