Thread: WD 2TBs anyone?

Xtreme Addict

WD 2TBs anyone?

Anyone got 'em? Except for test sites and one guy at XS I didn't see anyone else mentioning 'em.
    Feeling? Compatibility? (how many and on what controller?)

Can't believe they are still unavailable in Germany, a month after supposed availability.
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

Xtreme Member
    People (like me) are waiting for the black editions :p

Core 2 Duo(Conroe) was based on the Intel Core Duo(Yonah) which was based on the Pentium M(Banias) which was based on the Pentium III(Coppermine).

Core 2 Duo is a Pentium III on meth.

Xtreme Mentor
    I hope I can hold off till RE3 editions. I'm still not in a hurry
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I lost all confidence in Western Digital in this past year, as I had two 500GB drives die (one was mirroring the other, so I lost what I thought was backed up data), one WD 160GB died, one WD 400GB is starting to click, and now my RAID0 of two Western Digital 750GB drives is reporting SMART errors, so I can only imagine how long till that goes out.

I am waiting for anyone else to get a 2TB to market (with reliable shipping firmware, unlike the Seagate 1.5TB).

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Z3VH View Post
    I lost all confidence in Western Digital in this past year, as I had two 500GB drives die (one was mirroring the other, so I lost what I thought was backed up data), one WD 160GB died, one WD 400GB is starting to click, and now my RAID0 of two Western Digital 750GB drives is reporting SMART errors, so I can only imagine how long till that goes out.

I am waiting for anyone else to get a 2TB to market (with reliable shipping firmware, unlike the Seagate 1.5TB).
    Well, lose your beef with WD or Seagate. That's all there will be left shortly.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Infrastructure Eng
    ...I had two 500GB drives die (one was mirroring the other, so I lost what I thought was backed up data)...
    The problem here wasn't the failed drives, it was mistaking RAID for a valid backup plan. You have to keep in mind RAID acts as a method of redundancy for increased availability and nothing more. I hope your data was recoverable.
    Less is more.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    True, I used the wrong wording on that one... I lost what I thought was redundant data.

The data was not recoverable, but luckily when I upgrade machines, my old machines typically just sit and collect dust... so one of my machines from 3 years ago still had the IMPORTANT stuff on one of its drives. I lost a LOT of videos and music and such, which is just a ton of time lost in re-ripping them from DVD/CD, and I lost my most current resume. So all in all it REALLY sucked that these redundant drives both failed at the same time, hence my rancor toward WD, but losing the data itself didn't destroy any lives.

Even with the firmware issues, I still trust Seagate drives more. I have two of their 1.5TB drives that had the firmware issue, and even though I lost no data (because these failed at different times), Seagate still offered me free data recovery when I sent them back for warranty replacement... I didn't need it, so I told them it wasn't necessary. Also, both replacement drives have been up and running without so much as a stutter for several months now. The only issue I really had was getting ahold of their support in the first place.

Xtreme Member
    snip
    Looks like you just had EXTREMELY bad luck, maybe their was some enviromental factors that caused their early death.

Personally I love WD, but if for some reason WD lost my trust, I also like Samsung drives.

Core 2 Duo(Conroe) was based on the Intel Core Duo(Yonah) which was based on the Pentium M(Banias) which was based on the Pentium III(Coppermine).

Core 2 Duo is a Pentium III on meth.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not so bad luck... I just have a lot of computers I maintain, and these were all in separate model drives, over the course of a year. The only bad luck was that the 500GB mirror both went at the same time.

I doubt the problems were environmental, because this all happened in three different houses.

Over the years I have seen this exact scenario play out over and over... Originally, in the <2Gb days, Maxtor was the drive to have, because WDs were unreliable... then after the 2GB and larger drives came out, the two companies swapped, and Maxtor became unreliable, while WD was the drive to have... then again at 8GB, the two companies swapped so Maxtor was the good drive, while WD was unreliable. Once we got into the 80GB and up drives, they swapped again, so WD was the drive to have, and Maxtor (who now owned Seagate) was pure junk...

My theory is this is just the natural cycle coming back around again. Who knows what next year could bring

I do have to admit, though... this is the worst year I have had for drive failures since I started working on computers.

Xtreme Mentor
    They say is kinda slow. Newegg doesnt have the RPM in their site neither. Is this 5400rpm?

I rather wait for a Black Edition.

Xtreme Member
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    PC Perspective review here if that helps.

Xtreme Mentor
    Pretty good how it keeps up with the 1Tb 3 plate and even the Raptor some times. But the price of it is out of question to me, even the 1.5Tb is a better buy.

Xtreme Addict
    Geez, thanks for staying on topic all, LOL

Xtreme Member
    I was looking at the 2TB drives, but at around $300 it is really hard to justify. The Seagate 1.5TB drives that I've seen recently have the fixed firmware, and often are on sale for around $100 each. The question then becomes, would you rather have three 1.5TB Seagates or one 2TB WD? Frankly with the option of 3TB Raid 5 or triple redundancy, it is really hard to see the value proposition of a $300 2TB drive unless you have some sort of chasis constraints that you cannot get around.

And as someone who owns twelve 7200.11 1.5TB's and two 1TB 7200.11's, I can say that I have had one fail, but with that many conumser drives, it wasn't unexpected.
    Core i7 920 watercooled @ 4.2ghz, 12GB Corsair Dominator GT C7, Gigabyte X58 Extreme,
    Cosmos S, 2x EVGA GTX 470 watercooled, Blu-Ray, DVD RW
    All to drive a 47" 1920x1080 monitor :-)
    My Site: http://www.servethehome.com

Current Project: The Big WHS (40 Drives) Build Progress

Xtreme Addict
    yeah, at 300$ I won't consider it, I am waiting for prices to go down... which they will as soon as it really becomes available, i.e. widely
    Currently, 1TB WD10EADS is ~85EUR, so 200E for the 2TB would be fine for me. (personally considering WD Green only since I need them for storage only)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Even though the price of a 2tb WD drive is only slightly higher than their 1tb drives, I'd still get those in a network backup unit. Here's the (canadian) price breakdown on those:
    Code:
    	                               cost per gb @ 1 disk
    640GB green (WD6400AACS)	      0.13 $ 

750GB green WD (WD7500AACS)	      0.16 $ 

1TB green WD (WD10EADS)	              0.12 $ 

1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11      0.10 $ 

2TB green WD (WD20EADS)	              0.16 $
    Technically, the seagate drives are the best deal but the firmware debacle just doesn't win my trust. I'm staying clear of those until they can prove that they aren't terribad drives :P
    Last edited by antiacid; 03-13-2009 at 07:51 AM.