Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water path for stackable Swiftech rads?

Xtreme Member

Water path for stackable Swiftech rads?

Hello All,
    Just wondering what path the water takes while going through a stackable rad. The water enters the front barbs and distributes through the first rad (stackable) and then into the second rad (regular). It doest enter the front barb of the stackable and then split into both rads from there right? I am having areal hard time visualizing this...
    Last edited by Camaroz06; 03-11-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    the rads are stacked so the flow is parallel. the water flows through both the rads at the same time.

Xtreme Member
    Hi Evil,
    Thanks, I was getting really confused. Also missed the 4th or 5th post in the stackable thread a few down...just saw that. Anyways I dunno why I was having such a brain fart.

Anyways a set of two regular switech 220's in series would cool better right? Doing something like Petra did:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=211950

Thanks again,
    Eddie

Engineering The Xtreme
    1) there is parallel flow where water enters both rads on the left and exits both rads on the right.

2) there is series (the way I use) like so:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Evil-98 is correct, it is parallel... it is similar to using y-splitters in your loop before and after the two radiators.

This reduces your flow rate through each radiator, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

I wonder if anyone has done a benchmark on that... comparing two radiators hooked up in parallel vs serial... see if the reduced flow rate affects the radiator's cooling performance at all...

If Serial does work better, I can't imagine it would be all that tough to run them in a serial configuration, even while still stacked.

Reduced flow rate through the parallel radiators isn't going to be too much of an issue here. You have twice as much radiator and you have also effectively cut restriction in half.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by 3Z3VH View Post
    Evil-98 is correct, it is parallel... it is similar to using y-splitters in your loop before and after the two radiators.

This reduces your flow rate through each radiator, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

I wonder if anyone has done a benchmark on that... comparing two radiators hooked up in parallel vs serial... see if the reduced flow rate affects the radiator's cooling performance at all...

If Serial does work better, I can't imagine it would be all that tough to run them in a serial configuration, even while still stacked.
    I'd love to see that comparison, too. I'm not sure that you could manage to plumb it up for stacked series flow. At least, not with 25 mm fans. You would also have to put in a bunch of 90 degree turns to pull it off. Placing the radiators in series would cut flow, then the additional turns would restrict it even more. Edit: the more I think about this, the more I want to give it a try and see if the gains you get from series flow would warrant the loss in flow rate. I might buy another MCR320 and put it in series after the rad sandwich just to see.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    Reduced flow rate through the parallel radiators isn't going to be too much of an issue here. You have twice as much radiator and you have also effectively cut restriction in half.
    You really nailed it there, SparkyJJO. My flow rate is exactly the same through the two MCR320's stacked (in parallel, of course) as it was through a single MCR320.

Xtreme Addict
    I really would like to see a restriction comparison between dual MCR's and a TC.

These combined with low restriction blocks could be pretty boss.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pneubmatic View Post
    I'd love to see that comparison, too. I'm not sure that you could manage to plumb it up for stacked series flow. At least, not with 25 mm fans. You would also have to put in a bunch of 90 degree turns to pull it off. Placing the radiators in series would cut flow, then the additional turns would restrict it even more. Edit: the more I think about this, the more I want to give it a try and see if the gains you get from series flow would warrant the loss in flow rate. I might buy another MCR320 and put it in series after the rad sandwich just to see.
    Even just talking series vs parallel, regardless of stacking, I would love to see the difference... because effectively, you are slowing down the water through each radiator by half when you use them in parallel... Would that increase, or decrease the cooling potential of the radiator ?

I knew I should have gone for that Thermodynamics class... :P

Xtreme Addict
    I doubt there would be very much difference either way.
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

Even just talking series vs parallel, regardless of stacking, I would love to see the difference... because effectively, you are slowing down the water through each radiator by half when you use them in parallel... Would that increase, or decrease the cooling potential of the radiator ?

I knew I should have gone for that Thermodynamics class... :P
    Dangit, now I might have to take mine apart and re-plumb it for series flow. These questions must be answered!

I actually did take a Thermodynamics class, and I had to drop it 'cause I just wasn't smart enough to make it through. It was very interesting material.. at least, the stuff that I could wrap my brain around.

Never go full retard
    stacked MCR testing you say...

Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    stacked MCR testing you say...
    There's the man! That would be great, skinnee!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Is that a: "I am still waiting on a certain vendor to give me demo parts and I am making a subtle jab in their general direction", or a "Hmmm, good idea for me to queue up in my testing schedule" ?

Xtreme Addict
    Is that a: "I am still waiting on a certain vendor to give me demo parts and I am making a subtle jab in their general direction", or a "Hmmm, good idea for me to queue up in my testing schedule" ?
    Maybe more like a "watch my site soon"
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Or a how about you step off and thank him for his hard work and reviews instead of jabbing at him?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Who was I jabbing at ?

I was asking if his post was an attempt to get Swiftech to send him a radiator to test, or if he already had plans to do it and was queueing it up in his test schedule.

I have, and still do appreciate all of Skinnee's reviews. I do not see how my statement was an insult of any kind.

I find it makes neglible difference either way. I see the stack as a device for those with limited options for additional cooling because of space restrictions. .For me, is either stack or be SOL, and the stacks work very well indeed.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    I find it makes neglible difference either way. I see the stack as a device for those with limited options for additional cooling because of space restrictions. .For me, is either stack or be SOL, and the stacks work very well indeed.
    and anyone who has used a stack know that the temp deltas are small and the heat capacity is high at least thats what mine is like....

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by iandh View Post
    I really would like to see a restriction comparison between dual MCR's and a TC.

These combined with low restriction blocks could be pretty boss.
    not a fair competition because TC cheats by having a passthough from the first and second chamber.

Doesnt hurt performance at all, but its what i call cheating.

Also the size difference between the 2 rads is extreme.

The MCR's still looks small stacked compared to PA.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    and anyone who has used a stack know that the temp deltas are small and the heat capacity is high at least thats what mine is like....
    And anyone with a stack knows that you're not going to get world championship temps, but then you're not going to get that with water cooling anyway

The stack works because its convenient and it just works to remove heat.

I think these temps aren't too bad. Note that four copies of SP2004 were running, not two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orthos.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	96453  

Engineering The Xtreme
    @NaeKuh: yeah but you have to remember the PA has quite a bit more distance between the shroud and the core...

Engineering The Xtreme

my stack temps (series) CPU + PWM loop

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    I think these temps aren't too bad. Note that four copies of SP2004 were running, not two.
    Iany you have a bad mount.

Why is Core 1 way higher then the other cores under load?

Either that or Orthos isnt load your cores properly, use Intel Burn Test.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast