Thread: Network "Off Switch"

Network "Off Switch"

I hope this doesn't sound ignorant but is there a product out there that is basically a network off switch? I want a switch that would block all communications over a cat5 cable basically. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Intel i7 920 | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R | 6Gb 1600Mhz Geil Ram | EVGA GTX 260 | WD Black 1Tb | WD 1.5 Tb Green | Seagate 500Gb | Rocketfish Case | PCP&C Silencer 610 | APC BE550R

MSI Wind | 2 Gigs ram | 120 Gig Hard drive

Xtreme Addict

Xtreme Addict
    Any good switch managed switch can do this as well. w/ cisco you just issue a shutdown to the port or vlan if you want to take down everything on that vlan.

|.Server/Storage System.............|.Gaming/Work System..............................|.Sundry...... ............|
    |.Supermico X8DTH-6f................|.Asus Z9PE-D8 WS.................................|.HP LP3065 30"LCD Monitor.|
    |.(2) Xeon X5690....................|.2xE5-2643 v2....................................|.Mino lta magicolor 7450..|
    |.(192GB) Samsung PC10600 ECC.......|.2xEVGA nVidia GTX670 4GB........................|.Nikon coolscan 9000......|
    |.800W Redundant PSU................|.(8x8GB) Kingston DDR3-1600 ECC..................|.Quantum LTO-4HH..........|
    |.NEC Slimline DVD RW DL............|.Corsair AX1200..................................|........ .................|
    |.(..6) LSI 9200-8e HBAs............|.Lite-On iHBS112.................................|.Dell D820 Laptop.........|
    |.(..8) ST9300653SS (300GB) (RAID0).|.PA120.3, Apogee, MCW N&S bridge.................|...2.33Ghz; 8GB Ram;......|
    |.(112) ST2000DL003 (2TB) (RAIDZ2)..|.(1) Areca ARC1880ix-8 512MiB Cache..............|...DVDRW; 128GB SSD.......|
    |.(..2) ST9146803SS (146GB) (RAID-1)|.(8) Intel SSD 520 240GB (RAID6).................|...Ubuntu 12.04 64bit.....|
    |.Ubuntu 12.04 64bit Server.........|.Windows 7 x64 Pro...............................|............... ..........|

Quote Originally Posted by faster3200 View Post
    Thanx man! I appreciate the link too. Sucks though it's ten bux and shipping is 12 bux LOL. Probably will still get it thought lol. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by stevecs View Post
    Any good switch managed switch can do this as well. w/ cisco you just issue a shutdown to the port or vlan if you want to take down everything on that vlan.
    I need this by my tv and my router is in another room. I need a separate hardware solution I think. Thanx for the info though!
    Intel i7 920 | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R | 6Gb 1600Mhz Geil Ram | EVGA GTX 260 | WD Black 1Tb | WD 1.5 Tb Green | Seagate 500Gb | Rocketfish Case | PCP&C Silencer 610 | APC BE550R

Free - unplug cat5 cable
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    More details about what you are trying to accomplish will help. Many times you can do this from the router. Most home internet routers have parental controls where you can shut off network access to any MAC address (hardware address) on the network. This would make it so no matter what port they plug into, they will not get a connection. The only way to bypass it is if they have admin privileges on their computer, and know how to change their MAC address... most people don't.

Xtreme Addict
    "The Security Alerts News Reporter has determined that the internet is so dangerous that an unprotected computer connected to the internet is likely to become infected within 20 minutes of going online. "

Yea I always thought that it was interesting that there are so many computers that do nothing but systematic ip searches, looking for unprotected ports, that once an unprotected computer is connected to the interned that it will take less than 30 minutes for some computer to ping it in hopes of getting access. Thats why when I do a clean wipe of my HD and reinstall the OS I never have it connected to the internet. Only connect it after I have my firewall and antivirus up as well as a big pack or security updates installed. then I connect and go online to finish updating.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How do you update your antivirus, or download those security updates before going online ?

Now that I know you are going to answer "with my other computer," what do you propose people with only the one computer do ?

I'm behind my router's basic firewall, so I just install windows then the first thing I do after driver installation is windows update. Been doing that for a long time and never gotten a bug.

My friend, on the other hand, went googling on a fresh, non-updated windows install....
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Z3VH View Post
    How do you update your antivirus, or download those security updates before going online ?

Now that I know you are going to answer "with my other computer," what do you propose people with only the one computer do ?

XP Security updates can be downloaded and burned to a disk or flash drive BEFORE you do the reboot. Then just install them after your OS is installed. Or you can download the latest service pack and slipstream it into an XP CD and have all but the very latest couple of security patches left to get.

Antivirus updates: it only takes about one minute to download the latest signatures, and when being done from behind a hardware and software firewalls its not likely someone is going to punch through both of them and infect your computer with a virus in less then 60 seconds. And even if they did, NOD32 would most likely pick that up and prevent it from ever being written beyond the cach or temp file anyways.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 03-10-2009 at 09:05 AM.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Typically people don't reinstall Windows (especially those with only one computer) if it is up and running just fine, so putting it on a Flash drive before hand is not an option.

I honestly don't believe people are really in as much danger as they assume when they connect to the internet, I just found it absurd to assume everyone had these definitions and updates just hanging around.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Z3VH View Post
    Typically people don't reinstall Windows (especially those with only one computer) if it is up and running just fine, so putting it on a Flash drive before hand is not an option.

I honestly don't believe people are really in as much danger as they assume when they connect to the internet, I just found it absurd to assume everyone had these definitions and updates just hanging around.

Typically people DO reinstall windows. If your OS is over a year old it will be just full of useless garbage that it doenst need, and nothing is smoother then a freshly rebooted computer.

You find it absurd that people like Microsoft and ESET have definitions for you to download??? I find that rather niave.. not trying to start a fight or flame but... well there it is.

Thanks for the tips guys . I basically want this for my xbox so that I can remove it's web access whenever I would like. I have no problem just unplugging it from the back but my girlfriend could probably care less. All of the comments about updating your windows before going online are very true. I would never do anything online until all my windows updates are done on a fresh install.

When all else fails...

The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    Typically people DO reinstall windows. If your OS is over a year old it will be just full of useless garbage that it doenst need, and nothing is smoother then a freshly rebooted computer.

You find it absurd that people like Microsoft and ESET have definitions for you to download??? I find that rather niave.. not trying to start a fight or flame but... well there it is.
    I am not sure you read my post at all.

I said people don't typically reinstall "if it is running just fine"... I know people reinstall when they have problems. That is Microsoft, and any system builder OEM's solution to any problem.

Also, I did not say that Windows updates and Antivirus are absurd. I said I find it absurd to assume that someone would have all of those updates and antivirus just hanging out on a flash drive waiting for their next reinstall of Windows.

I also said that I don't feel people are in as much danger as they are led to believe when they plug a "virgin" box into their internet connection. Most houses nowadays have a router that blocks just about any incoming traffic on all ports. The only way you get data is if you request it.

I do not hesitate to plug a virgin box into my router and go download the updates and antivirus directly from the vendors. Just don't go surfing around on random sites while downloading/installing them, and you have very little chance of getting infected or hacked.

What I DID find comical, though, are the people who bring a virgin box to a LAN Party, or Dorm room... their machines get worked over within minutes of plugging into any large LAN.