Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Swiftech MCW7000-T for Corei7 announced

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Number View Post
    I am converting to a 527W 16V and Q9650 probably by the end of next week. I should be able to tame Q9650, but a i7 is a little different. I doubt the swiftech block stands a chance.
    I'd love to know what TEC this is where you getting it from...

and bear in mind your 437w was no where near....

I got the 437 from frozencpu and the 527 from ebay.

What do you mean by no where near...?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Number View Post
    I got the 437 from frozencpu and the 527 from ebay.

What do you mean by no where near...?
    Unfortunately FrozenCPU have a habit of quoting high temp stats...they make the TEC's look a lot more powerful than they actually are....the absolute max at a more reasonable operating temp. is actually about 70w less but that is absolute max at max input power with no load and zero temp delta. Dependant on the ambient temp, hotside temp., hotside cooling, TIM, quality of waterblocks plus general unavoidable heat transfer inefficiencies in actual use in the realworld you are probably only looking at 290w tops.

OH NO not that awesome 545 from ebay....awesomely carppy more like....the wattage they quote is the voltage times the current plus a bit to throw you off the trail....it could be argued there is nothing wrong with their addy as they do say it is a 12730....vast majority of 12730 manufactured in the world only have a max pump of about 270w max at 27ºC and again you will have to factor in the inefficiencies....in fact the 545w from ebay will be worse than the 437w from frozenCPU.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.....
    Last edited by zipdogso; 03-25-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Xtreme Member
    i have nog a meanwell 400w 24v TEC psu and two 300w TEC modules 24v 17amp.

after few days i will test this on i7 965.

The previous temps where correct, -10°C idle and +28°C load on 8 treads.
    I tested it here and that where the results.
    3dmark Vantage : +47K (NO PhysX)
    3dmark11 : +14K
    3dmark06 : +41K
    3dmark05 : +50K
    3dmark03 : +187K
    3dmark01 : +126K
    Wprime32m : 3.233sec
    Wprime1024 : 1m30sec320

Xtreme Enthusiast
    These look quite good for a nppb like myself who might want to dabble in something with a higher performance than water.

Are they only going to fit the 1366 socket or will they be available for AM2+ as well?

Xtreme Member
    @ SteveRo : i have a psu for the TEC alone, not on myn pc psu.

I'm creating a new Cpu cooler with 300w TEC in it, here are some graphics designed on 3d program solidworks.
    This is going to be my next cpu cooler on Evga X58 Classified mobo and a 965 ES :

2x TRUE full coppers, solid plate copper 10mm x 100mm x 100mm,
    the white plate is the TEC itself, green is the motherboard, i used the coldplate of the Swiftech mcp6500 blok,
    and created on size a mounting for getting everything together.
    We are making it now on this moment.

Xtreme Member
    Woah that's $300 in heatsink material if you are actually serious about that then I'm amazed. Going to an industrial heatsink manufacturer and getting them to custom design you something would probably end up cheaper. What wattage of TEC do you plan on using?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Holy Sh*t!!
    Corsair Obsidian 650D - EVGA P67 FTW - Samsung F3 1Tb - 8Gb A-Data cheapest crap DDR3 - Intel Core i5 2500K w/ Corsair H50 - EVGA GTX 295 co-op - Corsair AX650

Xtreme Member
    you can find his buildlog here :

http://www.highflow.nl/forum/f34/chi...a-monsta-2146/

how are you chiller btw?

300w tec
    -to big to say it all- i can only use up to 4 lines

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flak-spammer View Post
    Woah that's $300 in heatsink material if you are actually serious about that then I'm amazed. Going to an industrial heatsink manufacturer and getting them to custom design you something would probably end up cheaper. What wattage of TEC do you plan on using?
    normally this friday this cpu cooler is ready, and then this weekend begins testing.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    I am glad to announce that Swiftech will soon be releasing a new liquid cooled thermal head for Intel Core i7.

Expect the device within 6 weeks. There is no pricing information at this time.
    Any updated information on this?
    the Borg Cube:
    Case - Lian Li PC-343B
    Mobo - EVGA X58 Classified (759)
    CPU - i7 920 (D0 stepping), watercooled w/Enzotech Luna Rev.A block
    RAM - Corsair Dominator GT 2000 (8-8-8-24) w/fan
    GPU - EVGA GTX295 quad-SLI, water cooled w/Koolance NX295 blocks
    PSU - Corsair HX1000
    O/S - Windows 7 RC build 7127

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    I am glad to announce that Swiftech will soon be releasing a new liquid cooled thermal head for Intel Core i7.

Expect the device within 6 weeks. (03-08-2009) There is no pricing information at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler358 View Post
    Any updated information on this?
    I might be completely wrong BUT....i think they have come up on the problem with powering this thing. But then new products are rarely released on time...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRo View Post
    I found one vendor carrying the 320 psu - it was <$100. so the block plus the ps (assuming this psu would work) would be approx $300 - this will be a hot item if it works.
    I think this is it - http://www.peaktopeakpower.com/sp-32...store=ptp_blue
    This should be the specs if I got the right ps, where does it say 15 turned up to 18v can tolerate 20amps? -

Meanwell New Zealand stocks a hell of a lot of range

http://wellforces.co.nz/index.php/PF...ypage.tpl.html

Xtreme Enthusiast
    would this swiftech TEC work on a single PSU like this one:

ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W?

If so, it'd be pretty frickin amazing to have I'd like this with a single loop on the CPU and let's say a 240 or 360 rad + another 360 for SLI/CF vga.

Xtreme Member
    The problem isn't finding a power supply that can deliver the voltage and/or current. The problem is that molex connectors don't have the ability to put out more than 7A safely. Computer PSUs arn't meant for high current applications. So to answer your question to safely power a TEC that draws more than 7A that power supply would not be suitable without significant modification.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The problem isn't finding a power supply that can deliver the voltage and/or current. The problem is that molex connectors don't have the ability to put out more than 7A safely. Computer PSUs arn't meant for high current applications. So to answer your question to safely power a TEC that draws more than 7A that power supply would not be suitable without significant modification.
    could you then mod the TEC so that it uses 2+ molex (like any newer higher end video cards)?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Your idea is sound in the correct situation but unfortunately flak you have missed the subject here....

The issue is the power supply....

It all depends on the actual specs of the TEC which unfortunately Gabe did'nt give in their entirety the problem that exists is that if the specs he did give are working specs as opposed to max specs the power supply to give that much power is readily available BUT at a price...a very big price.
    The problem will be is it really financially practical to potentially have to pay $300-$350 (for unit + PSU) just to achieve say -10º/-20º at "no load" and perhaps 5ºC/15ºC under load. I would be very surprised if they managed to achieve anything more with a direct die cooler.

There is no way one can power this through the molex the current is way too high...a seperate PSU is a must and it will not be a ATX version.

Xtreme Member
    I'm well aware that the external PSUs are costly however I was answering the question as to if an ATX PSU could be used and the answer is no. Simply put this TEC cooler will not be for people without a large budget and that would be obvious from stated specs and required hardware.

Xtreme Member
    Until we get real specs and pricing we won't know...
    the Borg Cube:
    Case - Lian Li PC-343B
    Mobo - EVGA X58 Classified (759)
    CPU - i7 920 (D0 stepping), watercooled w/Enzotech Luna Rev.A block
    RAM - Corsair Dominator GT 2000 (8-8-8-24) w/fan
    GPU - EVGA GTX295 quad-SLI, water cooled w/Koolance NX295 blocks
    PSU - Corsair HX1000
    O/S - Windows 7 RC build 7127

Xtreme Member

i7 965 and Phenom II 955

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    i certainly hope these numbers are correct based on a 226TEC cos that'll mean TEC's will become all the rage again. and that those CPU calculators are wrong. i guess we'll find out
    The actual dissipation on these chips is A LOT lower than previous generation. On air (TRU for example) the Intel i7 965, OC to 4G results in around 170W at load. The Penom II 955 OC to 3.7G results in about 130W. Both of those numbers are well below previous processor generations.

Maintaining those OC 24/7 with some hope of CPU life is best achieved by maintaining temp and reducing thermal excursions. For ease of installation for all but extreme enthusiasts, I would recommend maintaining the cold side at around 25C - 30C. That way condensation is not really a problem, and the TEC can be used at a higher efficiency.

Looking at the i7, we can see that to achieve 30C core temps, we need 25C at the IHC, maybe a little below. With a 30C water temp, that gives us under 10C dT, which is going to give good efficiency at lower powers, and move closer to Qmax at higher powers.

For example, a 19933, often called a '437', at 12V, will be at 50% Imax, and will move 270W across a 10C dT with CoP near 1.5. A 12730 at 12V is at 70% Imax and moves about 200W across 10C dT, at CoP of around .8, still not horrible. Getting there with the '226W' TEC (a 12724) in the MCW6500 is just possible at 14V, 14A (over 90% Imax) - getting 170W cooling at CoP of less than .7

The i7 does not really benefit from very cold temps, so this is probably as good as phase to get a killer rig that can run all day. To maintain efficiency, PWM or some other temp control is needed.

The Phenom II loves cold. With the IHC at 30C and a modest voltage boost, 4G is easily achievable, but with sub-zero, the chip can get to 4.4G or better. At the voltages needed, the chip dissipates around 160W. So for AMD overclockers, a nice OC can be achieved with minimal fuss, but to really go for it, insulation and such is needed. Because the chip has lower dissipation, we can go to lower temps - a 19933 at 20v is 80% Imax, and moves 150W across a 40C dT, which should put the core subzero even if dissipation is a little higher. You can go higher on voltage but won't get much beyond 80% Imax.

A 12730 can't get sub-zero at 160W, but it can get close - you'll probably get 25C dT at 15v (90% Imax). Obviously the 19933 is a much better choice here. I would expect radical AMD overclockers to go phase though, since the chip responds well to very low temps, and 'real men' will want to get to 5G or better.

Xtreme Member
    Lets say I get the MCW7000-T, combine it with the best meanwell PSU for the job price not a big concern, use it on an i7 975xe with a very mean overclock (hopefully 5Ghz+ 24/7), have 3 or even 4 MCR320 rads to cool just the hotside of the TEC, nothing else in that loop, how well will this cool my CPU compared to just water cooling (with 4 MCR320 rads, 2 355 pumps ad only the CPU block in the loop)? Will I be able to maintain a higher overclock 24/7?

Was there a limit to what the TEC can do and once I OC beyond it (assuming the CPU can), the TEC no longer keeps up with cooling the CPU reguardless of how well I cool the hotside?

Please don't say...."go phase". I am not interested in phase change.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post
    Lets say I get the MCW7000-T, combine it with the best meanwell PSU for the job price not a big concern, use it on an i7 975xe with a very mean overclock (hopefully 5Ghz+ 24/7), have 3 or even 4 MCR320 rads to cool just the hotside of the TEC, nothing else in that loop, how well will this cool my CPU compared to just water cooling (with 4 MCR320 rads, 2 355 pumps ad only the CPU block in the loop)? Will I be able to maintain a higher overclock 24/7?

Was there a limit to what the TEC can do and once I OC beyond it (assuming the CPU can), the TEC no longer keeps up with cooling the CPU reguardless of how well I cool the hotside?

TEC's are electrical heatpumps they have set limits of wattage pump depending on the manufactured specs and also the operating point you run them at they aren't "be all end all coolers" you can't just plug them in and watch em go....so yes...there is a limit regardless of how well you cool the hotside.
    At the moment the performance of the MCW7000-T is an unknown quantity as Gabe has not given proper specs for the unit, it undoubtably will cool an i7 as he says but serious/long-term overclocking might not be so great...until we get some proper numbers....who knows
    Last edited by zipdogso; 05-25-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post

The FrozenCPU 437 is a 19933. If you are cooling the hot side with those rads, you will be able to handle a lot of heat. Getting a 975 to stable 5G is pretty much a world-class result - but i7 doesn't do a lot better with extreme cold, so your approach is probably going to get you as good a 24/7 rig as can be found. 24/7 stable might be a bit less than 5G but who knows?

I would suggest running PWM from a meanwell 24V supply - probably a 600-24 which can supply 25A. That will give you some headroom if the heat load runs up. I would control for ambient or a little below at the IHS.

If you can keep the water around 30C, you will be able to keep the IHS at 20C with a dT of 10. That's a very efficient operating point. I've looked at some 5G OC runs with 975 and they got there with 1.44 Vcore, which should mean under 200W heat load. A 19933 can deliver that across 10C dT with 12V 16A, at CoP of 1.4 or better, so heat in of 140W plus 200W pumped is 340 to the rad. Should be no problem, to keep that at 30C in 25C ambient with the rig you are proposing. Lots of headroom too - you can pump about 300W across a 20C dT if needed (but you'll burn a lot of power getting there).

Of course the whole concept uses parts that you can't currently buy, but time heals all wounds.

Xtreme Addict
    I thought this was going to come out in six weeks.

Xtreme Member
    i know im waitin for this too...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast