Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me choose some processors...

810 has less cache, and AMD said 6mb was the minimum for adequate performance (according to Anandtech). The whole reason the Phenom 2MB chips underperformed was because it was cache starved...so they cut it from 6 to 4 and call it an 810? Not so sure if that's a good buy.

I don't care if a platform is "dead". This person most likely won't be doing any upgrading until the next platform is out anyway. What matters is what the best buy is right now.

Appreciate the input. So far, more votes are going toward the 710/720 over the Intels, even if the Intels will be seeing upwards of 4Ghz and will outperform clock per clock. The variable for success will be whether or not the 3rd core will be useful.

Let's say you don't use any apps that will utilize that core, but you do multi-task a lot. Does Windows delegate well enough to give a 3/4 core chip a proper workout so you really get the benefit over a 1/2 core chip?
    Last edited by Soulburner; 03-08-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    810 has less cache, and AMD said 6mb was the minimum for adequate performance (according to Anandtech). The whole reason the Phenom 2MB chips underperformed was because it was cache starved...so they cut it from 6 to 4 and call it an 810? Not so sure if that's a good buy.

I don't care if a platform is "dead". This person most likely won't be doing any upgrading until the next platform is out anyway. What matters is what the best buy is right now.

Appreciate the input. So far, more votes are going toward the 710/720 over the Intels, even if the Intels will be seeing upwards of 4Ghz and will outperform clock per clock. The variable for success will be whether or not the 3rd core will be useful.

Let's say you don't use any apps that will utilize that core, but you do multi-task a lot. Does Windows delegate well enough to give a 3/4 core chip a proper workout so you really get the benefit over a 1/2 core chip?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...m,2148-12.html
    last page.

the Phenom II X4 810--the 2.6 GHz processor with a stripped-down 4 MB L3 cache--was able to outperform our simulated Phenom II X4 910 with its full 6 MB cache.
    the chip has a better Nb:core, speed ratio.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Mentor
    Thought you might be interested in that.
    Last edited by Soulburner; 03-10-2009 at 02:59 PM.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
    Thought you might be interested in that.
    Even tho my e7300 also does 4Ghz 1.42v on air w/ a g31 mobo and undervolted stock cooler Id still preffer 3 PII cores runing @ 3.6Ghz or so...

Many games already makes use of > 2 cores, among many other apps.... Wont even mention proffessional content production software

I got the cheapo e7300 with an quad core upgrade in mind. Only two cores wont cut it in the near future (sometimes even now). Parallelization cant be stoped and its already taking over.

With that said, his price is really good
    Last edited by Soulburner; 03-10-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    The variable for success will be whether or not the 3rd core will be useful.
    Exactly

So....have u decided ?

Not yet. Doing a theoretical build for someone, also getting caught up with hardware. I got behind and wanted to update my knowledge (I do this often, it's impossible to keep up with all facets of technology at once every day).

If Windows can truly utilize more cores for smoother multi-tasking, it's not a question of what programs use the cores, its Windows itself, IMO. In this case 4>3>2>1 even if you have 0 (zero) programs that use multi-core processors. I don't have much evidence of that at this point, other than a couple of people saying "yeah it does".
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Addict
    I dont think XP or Vista would run smoother with moretham 2 cores....The OS's bottleneck is the storage subsystem imo.

Maybe things have changed with Windows 7 ? I dont know, some beta testers could enlighten us.
    Last edited by Tonucci; 03-15-2009 at 06:57 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't know about you but this would make my decision real easy.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.165025
    Asus Crosshair III
    Phenom X2 550@X4
    Cooler Master V10
    2x2gb G-SKILL DDR3
    ASUS HD 4890 Top
    Antec 850w
    WD 500gb
    WD 80gb

Assuming it's a good board, that's a good deal.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would have gone AMD anyway
    But that deal is very good, the board is a decent baord, so you are getting a real bargain

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Assuming it's a good board, that's a good deal.
    It is a good board.
    Asus Crosshair III
    Phenom X2 550@X4
    Cooler Master V10
    2x2gb G-SKILL DDR3
    ASUS HD 4890 Top
    Antec 850w
    WD 500gb
    WD 80gb

Xtreme Addict
    yep, very nice deal, good board, awesome price

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12