Thread: 1 HP aquarium chiller - can it be used?

1 HP aquarium chiller - can it be used?

Hi,

I have a friend selling a huge (as in, the size of a massive esky) aquarium chiller, at a pretty low price. To what extend is it practical for implementing this into the ole' WC loop?
    Will it be ridiculously loud?
    Will it put up the power bill hundreds of dollars?

cheers guys

I should further clarify that it's a 1hp unit with adjustable temperature controls and that I can buy it for 100AUD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    what are the specs on it? what temp is it supposed to chill a average aquarium too? in Celcius plz
    Main Rig
    • Intel Core i7 4790K CPU Stock @ 4.4Ghz
    • Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
    • 32GB GSKILL Trident X 2400MHZ RAM
    • EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5
    • Corsair TX850W v2 TX Power Supply 70A 12V Rail
    • Swiftech Apex Ultima w/ Apogee Drive II & Dual 120 RAD w/integrated res
    • 2X Seagate 333AS 1TB 7,200 32MB HD's in RAID 0
    • 2X Samsung 830's 128GB in RAID 0
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB
    • Dual Asus ProArt PA248Q 24" IPS LED Monitors
    • Samsung 46" 5600 Series Smart HDTV
    • iPhone 6 Plus 64GB AT&T & Xbox One

UNOFFICIAL Rampage II Extreme Thread

That's the problem - I'm not sure, don't even know the model number, although I asked and he's going to reply and let me know.

It's more of a practicality thing - I'd be willing to have the big thing in my room, but if it's ridiculously hot and loud I wouldn't want it running.

WCG Cruncher
    pics?

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Xtreme Cruncher
    If it is an inline chiller, most 1 HP models are rated in the 12k BTU range.
    And yeah, it will be loud and hot, not something you'll want in your living space. Also, with a unit this big, it will draw a lot of electricity - probably more than 15 amps at 110v.

"[crunching is] a minor service to humanity as a side effect of our collective hardware fetish" - Blauhung

Xtreme Member
    That's a good size, you should take him up on it. A 1hp compressor won't draw 15 amps under the load you'll be putting on it. I have a 1hp compressor on my autocascade and it will settle to about 7 amps.

Keep in mind that a 1hp compressor will only move 12k BTU at a high temp for example when used in an a/c, but you won't be using it this way. The same goes for heat output, unless you plan on utilizing it for high temp cooling at its full heat capacity don't worry about heat output too much. When it has run long enough to get your water cold the mass flow will be reduced and the temperatures and pressures will drop, so it shouldn't put out too much heat or draw very many amps. If you still find it's too much you could always leave it outside under some sort of a cover and run the water lines inside. You would be sacrificing your temps in the summer but you wouldn't hear it at least.

All in all that sounds like a good deal for a nice big chiller, especially with all the heat these new cpu's are putting out.