View Poll Results: Do you like my case design?

Voters
840. You may not vote on this poll

799 95.12%
  • Dislike

41 4.88%
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 313839404142 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1028

Thread: Case Design for Liquid Cooling

Neo, holy crap. Fantastic looking case. I want!

Xtreme Member
    That case is gorgeous neo you may not think its refined, but apart from some proper hex-patterned mesh for the rads, it looks amazing
    Patience is the only talent.

Xtreme Addict
    Great update, guys! Keep up the good work.
    \Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Xtreme Member
    I've had a look at other motherboard tray retaining systems (a component of the case that the motherboard tray slots or clips into for extra support, and most of them are too complex to manufacture cheaply, or simple but require extensive re design.

So, I've come up with what I think is a clean and simple solution, and should be easy enough to manufacture.

Thoughts?

This is the motherboard tray support "column"

This is two simple slots in the motherboard tray

and this is what it looks like when put together

I could maybe put the support around the other way so the flaps are at the rear, perhaps?

Mick, thoughts? it's your case so I need approval lol

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by individual View Post
    I've had a look at other motherboard tray retaining systems (a component of the case that the motherboard tray slots or clips into for extra support, and most of them are too complex to manufacture cheaply, or simple but require extensive re design.

So, I've come up with what I think is a clean and simple solution, and should be easy enough to manufacture.

I could maybe put the support around the other way so the flaps are at the rear, perhaps?

Mick, thoughts? it's your case so I need approval lol
    Looks like a good, simple solution to me. I think you should have more than one though, perhaps one at the top and one at the bottom to ensure the MB tray is held securely.
    System :- Gunmetal Antec P182 : Antec Quattro 850 : Asus P5E Deluxe : Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 4004MHz (8.5 x 471 FSB) 1.4 volts (VID: 1.3v) : 8Gb 1100 OCZ Gold XTC @ 942MHz 2.0 volts (5-5-5-15) : Gainward GTX 570 GS GLH (GPU: 800MHz, Shader: 1600MHz, Memory: 2000MHz) : 1x 128Gb Crucial RealSSD + Asus U3S6 (OS) : 1x 1Tb & 2x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints (Storage) : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Cooling : 4x Sharkoon Eagle 2000's (Case) : 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (R120-T rad) : 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (RS 240 rad in push-pull) : Akasa Fan Control Pro : Stepped Aquacomputer Cuplex XT di : EK FC5X0 GTX GW - Nickel (GTX 570) : Swiftech MCP355 : 1x XSPC R120-T : 1x XSPC RS 240 : XSPC Bay Reservoir : XSPC 1/2" Tubing : Blue Feser One Coolant

Check out my water-cooling case design:- Here & Here
    Find SketchUp Computer Components Here
    Download my case design SketchUp files from Here

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick64 View Post
    Looks like a good, simple solution to me. I think you should have more than one though, perhaps one at the top and one at the bottom to ensure the MB tray is held securely.
    Was just thinking the same thing. Protocase got back to me after having a good look at the files saying they are unable to do some of the bends, I'm assuming it's the pretty much nil-radius bends, but I'll find out when they wake up again (15 hour time difference, when it's 8AM here on Wednesday, its 5PM there on Tuesday. Means I have to be up at 4AM to get a decent email conversation in.

On another topic, I've got a case of my own planned, finally, after about 3 years.

I'll work on the model some more when I get home and I'll update as it comes

Xtreme Member
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'll try to post some more pics as soon as I have the time to take them.

Actually this is what I'm working on atm. It is my new custom case that is going to see the light very soon

Oh and btw, Individual, I should be able to give you the 10 slot I/O shield dimensions, I have received it today

p.s. I see you are using SolidWorks too. Can you tell me how you managed to do the tubing? (via PM if you like).

Thank-you!

Xtreme Enthusiast

Magnum sth10

Close copy of my design or divine inspiration? You decide.

System :- Gunmetal Antec P182 : Antec Quattro 850 : Asus P5E Deluxe : Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 4004MHz (8.5 x 471 FSB) 1.4 volts (VID: 1.3v) : 8Gb 1100 OCZ Gold XTC @ 942MHz 2.0 volts (5-5-5-15) : Gainward GTX 570 GS GLH (GPU: 800MHz, Shader: 1600MHz, Memory: 2000MHz) : 1x 128Gb Crucial RealSSD + Asus U3S6 (OS) : 1x 1Tb & 2x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints (Storage) : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Cooling : 4x Sharkoon Eagle 2000's (Case) : 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (R120-T rad) : 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (RS 240 rad in push-pull) : Akasa Fan Control Pro : Stepped Aquacomputer Cuplex XT di : EK FC5X0 GTX GW - Nickel (GTX 570) : Swiftech MCP355 : 1x XSPC R120-T : 1x XSPC RS 240 : XSPC Bay Reservoir : XSPC 1/2" Tubing : Blue Feser One Coolant

Too bad it looks like garbage

Xtreme Member
    if I had to choose between caselabs case and yours, I'll definitely pick your case. I really cannot understand why there's so much astonishment around such cases. Don't get me wrong, Caselabs is probably a great brand and I really like some features they used in STH10 and other caselabs cases, but seriously you can't say that those are sexy or good looking case. They're all squared! Basically is a big black rectangular shaped box with lot of room in it for crazy liquid cooling configurations. There are no shapes or sinuous corners that make you feel like :"oh, that's nice". And I can say the same for Mountain Mods cases. Everyone can make a big box with a lot of holes tbh...

Xtreme Member
    Lol it's a massive coincidence. I spoke to Jim from caselabs and they had this in the works before they knew of your case lol I agree the case isn't really distinctive looking, I would buy both because I love micks case and I'd built a nice all round system, and is still buy the caselabs one simply because its massive lol.

Neo, to do a tube in solid works, I havent used it in a while so I'm a little rusty, i mainly use inventor now (which you should get, it's 10 times easier and smoother)
    Create a 2D sketch on the face that you want the tube to start on, then draw a circle of the OD size of the tube you want, end sketch.

Next start another 2d sketch, this time on the face you want the tube to end on. Put a point at the centre of where you want the tube to end.

Start a 3D sketch, click the spline tool, and make the start position the centre of your circle you just drew. make sure the spline is perpendicular to the circle, in other words, it goes straight up to begin with, then click to add a point in the spline

Next, click the on the point you created in the 2nd 2d sketch you will have a straight line pretty much, but you add points in the spline and move them about in 3D space to create natural curves in the tube.

To add more curve points, select the spline, right click on the position you wish to add the curve point to and select Insert Spline Point.

When you've got the shape of the tube sorted, finish the sketch, under the features tab is a Swept Boss/Bass option. Click on that. Select your circle as the bass, and the 3D spline sketch as the path.

tubes!!
    Last edited by individual; 01-18-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I think caselabs cases are pretty damn good looking. Sure it would look nicer if it was rounded, but im sure that would add quite a bit to the manufacturing cost.
    MM H2gO - Win 7 Pro
    2 PA120.2 Thermochill
    MCP355 w/XSPC res top
    i5-2500k @ 5.0ghz w/Heatkiller 3.0
    Corsair HX850 - M IV Gene-z
    GTX 480 w/DD 480 ni/cu

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Lol it's a massive coincidence. I spoke to Jim from caselabs and they had this in the works before they knew of your case
    Well, he would say that wouldn't he. I doubt that he's going to say that it's based on my design. However, if they didn't have any prior knowledge of my design, then hats off to them! Great minds think alike!

Xtreme Member
    Mick, caselab case isn't even close to your case design.

Xtreme Guru
    Am i wrong in my guess that both that and yours case was at least partially inspired by one of most popular cases for LC - TJ07? Imho it's not worth arguing that much and heatedly about prior art, it's possible to dwell very deep into pointless arguing flamewar. Same also about generic looks design (beauty is in eye of beholder). To me both your and caselabs cases look very good and well fit for purpose. I'd rather would dedicate more efforts in getting case in actual iron and to consumer, to let market/customer say the final word which is best.

Xtreme Member
    I'm glad to see these designs being looked at once more.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Church View Post
    Am i wrong in my guess that both that and yours case was at least partially inspired by one of most popular cases for LC - TJ07? Imho it's not worth arguing that much and heatedly about prior art, it's possible to dwell very deep into pointless arguing flamewar. Same also about generic looks design (beauty is in eye of beholder). To me both your and caselabs cases look very good and well fit for purpose. I'd rather would dedicate more efforts in getting case in actual iron and to consumer, to let market/customer say the final word which is best.
    It wasn't my intention to start any arguments, just wanted to show how similar the Caselabs Magnum sth10 was to my design in both looks and adaptability. As I have previously mentioned I like the case and would even buy one. I would have been flattered if Caseleabs had been influenced by my design. However, as they have stated that the Magnum was purely their own concept, then I can't praise their designers enough. At the time I designed my case there wasn't a case like this on the market. Now that there is, I am happy that the liquid cooling community have a little more choice as to what case to use for their next liquid cooled project.

By the way, I wasn't actualy inspired by the TJ07, it was my own modified Antec P182 that first got me thinking about designing a case for liquid cooling.

Last edited by Mick64; 01-21-2013 at 03:56 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Lol it's a massive coincidence. I spoke to Jim from caselabs and they had this in the works before they knew of your case lol I agree the case isn't really distinctive looking, I would buy both because I love micks case and I'd built a nice all round system, and is still buy the caselabs one simply because its massive lol.

Neo, to do a tube in solid works, I havent used it in a while so I'm a little rusty, i mainly use inventor now (which you should get, it's 10 times easier and smoother)
    Create a 2D sketch on the face that you want the tube to start on, then draw a circle of the OD size of the tube you want, end sketch.

Next start another 2d sketch, this time on the face you want the tube to end on. Put a point at the centre of where you want the tube to end.

Start a 3D sketch, click the spline tool, and make the start position the centre of your circle you just drew. make sure the spline is perpendicular to the circle, in other words, it goes straight up to begin with, then click to add a point in the spline

Next, click the on the point you created in the 2nd 2d sketch you will have a straight line pretty much, but you add points in the spline and move them about in 3D space to create natural curves in the tube.

To add more curve points, select the spline, right click on the position you wish to add the curve point to and select Insert Spline Point.

When you've got the shape of the tube sorted, finish the sketch, under the features tab is a Swept Boss/Bass option. Click on that. Select your circle as the bass, and the 3D spline sketch as the path.

tubes!!
    Hi individual,

first of all, sorry for the late reply but I've been busy with my upcoming project and with my girlfriend and family

second, thank-you so much for taking the time to write the instruction for the tubing in solidworks

I have managed to measure my danger den 10 slot I/O panel and I can confirm that the dimensions are exactly like this model here --> http://grabcad.com/library/motherboa...o-10-pci-slots

So I can confirm that if your I/O shield has the same dimensions that the one I posted, you're good with that

Let me know if I can help you out on something else.

Oh and btw my sr-2/sr-x holes are the result of a bit of search on the web, especially this post here on XS -- http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...y-measurements (post number 3).

Best regards,

.::NeO::.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm glad to see someone is finally building this chassis!
    Scratch build!
    Model 01 - A fully custom designed chassis!

Come and have a look! And be sure to comment!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think the LL V2000 is closer to Mick's design (or the other way around, actually, since the V2000 is quite old) and to be honest when i had a V2000 myself i thought about a similar design as well. And of course there is the TJ07 which is very similar as well.
    In short, same problems often lead to the same solution, the only variation we would have would be horizontal mobo layouts...

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Member
    sorry I haven't had an update in a while, been pretty busy. Probably have to find a new job soon, the business I'm with will probably be going under in the next month or so, so I've been hunting around and working like a dog getting all my orders out.

Protocase may be out of the question, they can't do some of the bends and a re-design means at least 3mm inside radius bends on everything, which would interfere with a lot of components, which means a complete re-design. however, a colleges uncle is a sheet metal expert and said he might be able to build it, a lot cheaper than what protocase quoted. If I had the time, I could build it, but unfortunately I don't.

The only thing I have left to do is the latches on the side panels and make sure every hole is defined to either 6-32" UNC/F standards or ISO metric 3&4mm which should only take a few hours. Hope to have the files fully completed this weekend

On a side note, If this business doesn't fold, I might just be producing my own compression fittings 3/8" size, not out of brass, not plated, out of either 304 stainless steel, or SAFF.

stainless 304 will never rust and it doesn't react with other metals as much as common watercooling block/fitting materials.

SAFF will never rust or corrode, and will not react at all with any other metal in your loop, it's used by BHP in their underwater oil drilling rigs. Rated rust free for 2000 years at a maximum of 400 degrees C and 35000 PSI. Needles to say, that option will be a lot more expensive.
    Last edited by individual; 01-24-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    I'd say to not mess with imho often too fine and easy to strip off M3 thread, and use only 6-32/M4.

Xtreme Member
    If you are able to strip the thread in the first place, you're torquing the bolt way too much for its purpose.

I've never had issues with m3/m4? you can get variant pitch sizes, m3 comes in .5 .8 and 1., m4 comes in .8, 1. and 1.2

the M3 .5, I can see the potential to strip the thread, but if you use the .8 or 1. it won't. I've used M3 bolts on stuff a lot more stressful than a motionless computer case, eg small hydraulic reservoirs and coolant injectors on CNC lathes, never given me grief.

Not to be offensive, I just know their capabilities in high stress environments, and I've personally never stripped even an M3 .5

that been said, M4 would give more rigidity.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I got pulled over yesterday and had a medical issue come up, so funding for the case got spent and put on hold for the time being

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

Xtreme Member
    it's all good Gimmpy I'm stuck at the moment too. this case WILL see light, it's waited 3 years already, a month or 2 won't kill the dream

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 313839404142 LastLast