Thread: LCD screen starting up dim

Xtreme Member

Unhappy LCD screen starting up dim

Hi guys I've got a an HP LCD (HP W2207 Wide LCD Monitor), most times it works fine, but sometimes when windows loads the screen seems to be dimmed out slightly, even though the setting is on full brightness. If I restart the computer it usually goes away, so I'm not sure what it could be. Have any of you had similar issues? or got any idea what the problem could be?
    Current Build : Antec 900 | Intel (Q9450) @ 3.22GHz | Asus P5E3 Premium | OCZ 2x2GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Reaper 1600Mhz 7-7-7-24 | EVGA GTX 285 | 2x WD 150GB VelociRaptor | Samsung 1TB HD | HP DVD Lightscribe | Windows Vista Ultimate x64bit | Corsair HX620W |

Cooled By : Apogee GTZ | Koolance VID-NX285 | MCP355 Pump | XSPC Premium Res| Swiftech MCR320-QP Rad | Yate Loon D12SL-12D Fans | XSPC 7/16" Clear/UV Blue tubing | Bitspower Compression Fittings |

Xtreme Addict
    when you say the setting is on full brightness, you mean the LCD setting itself (OSD), or the power management settings in Windows? check the power management monitor settings to see how dimming the screen is set up there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HARD CRUNCHER!!
    Does this happen when you start the computer from being cold?
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047 View Post
    CRUNCH HARD, it may not help me and you, but it might help the Kids.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    when you say the setting is on full brightness, you mean the LCD setting itself (OSD), or the power management settings in Windows? check the power management monitor settings to see how dimming the screen is set up there.
    When I say full brightness I mean from using the actual LCD buttons on the front which gives me a pop up screen from which I can select brightness, contrast and so on.

Although I never really checked in windows power management but I just checked it out now and it had something called "adaptive display" which was set on so I switched it off to see if the problem will come back again. Would that be the option you're referring to when you said power management settings?

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Hicks121 View Post
    Does this happen when you start the computer from being cold?
    Not necessarily, sometimes I just need to reboot the computer and it does it. It happens maybe once a week which is weird so I thought it might have something to do with power consumption or something.

Now I've rebooted the computer and the screen is back to its usual brightness, very weird
    Current Build : Antec 900 | Intel (Q9450) @ 3.22GHz | Asus P5E3 Premium | OCZ 2x2GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Reaper 1600Mhz 7-7-7-24 | EVGA GTX 285 | 2x WD 150GB VelociRaptor | Samsung 1TB HD | HP DVD Lightscribe | Windows Vista Ultimate x64bit | Corsair HX620W |

Cooled By : Apogee GTZ | Koolance VID-NX285 | MCP355 Pump | XSPC Premium Res| Swiftech MCR320-QP Rad | Yate Loon D12SL-12D Fans | XSPC 7/16" Clear/UV Blue tubing | Bitspower Compression Fittings |

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Defratos View Post
    When I say full brightness I mean from using the actual LCD buttons on the front which gives me a pop up screen from which I can select brightness, contrast and so on.

Although I never really checked in windows power management but I just checked it out now and it had something called "adaptive display" which was set on so I switched it off to see if the problem will come back again. Would that be the option you're referring to when you said power management settings?
    no, I refer to that:and from there, check the display advanced settings too
    Last edited by Logos; 04-22-2009 at 11:46 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Do you have the latest video drivers. Could be a possible bug in the driver that causes screen dimming when it loads up. When windows starts during the boot screen all the main system drivers are loaded so I would update your chipset and gpu drivers if they aren't already updated.
    Hardware
    Core i5 3570K @4GHz
    16GB Corsair Dominator @ 1600
    Asus Sabertooth Z77
    Asus 560Ti, CM Cosmos II, XFX Pro 800w
    Logitech G15, Razer DeathAdder

Audio/Video
    Samsung SM225MD 22"
    FiiO E7+E10 DAC/Headphone Amp
    Sennheiser PC350
    Monitor Audio BX2, BK Elec XLS200 Mk2 & Cambridge Audio AM10

Software
    Windows 8 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    no, I refer to that:and from there, check the display advanced settings too
    well when I go to my display advanced settings it does not give me the option to change my brightness (see below):

Quote Originally Posted by Godofwar424 View Post
    Do you have the latest video drivers. Could be a possible bug in the driver that causes screen dimming when it loads up. When windows starts during the boot screen all the main system drivers are loaded so I would update your chipset and gpu drivers if they aren't already updated.
    well I just updated my display adapter, it used to be on GTX285 adapter but when I did the update it said it found one so i installed it and now for display adapter is says standard VGA Graphics adapter, so maybe that has sorted the problem out. I will only find out once I've restarted the computer a few times and see if the screen dims out or not. Thanks for the help though

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Defratos View Post
    well when I go to my display advanced settings it does not give me the option to change my brightness (see below):
    ...more options if you actually click on advanced settings from the panel you showed: then you get this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    well yeah that's where I found the adaptive display settings which I turned off, but it does not have the option for screen brightness.

Xtreme Addict
    look what I showed you (my screenshots) are from Win7, and Vista offers almost the same options. If they're not available for you, either check again your video or your monitor drivers. More likely a video driver issue, as Windows is always able to install a good enough monitor driver, even if it's not from the manufacturer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    yeah I think that might be the case, I didn't realise you weren't using Vista, I'll check up on the drivers again and let u guys knows. I'll see if the same issue happens again since updating the Display adaptor to VGA graphics cards

Xtreme Member
    Actually I've just realized something, every time I try and update my NVIDIA Gefore GTX285 driver windows searches on-line and updates it to standard VGA Graphics adapter. Now should I try and find the update on NVIDIA's site or EVGA's website? are they the same company?

Xtreme Member
    This is weird, now when I got Nvidia's website if I let it automatically search for my card and see if there's an update it says that I have the latest version but if I do a manual search it shows me that there's a much newer version available. Would this be because my card is EVGA? either way I'm downloading the new driver and will update the card, but then I'm thinking of checking EVGA's site to see if they also have an update, would anyone not recommend this?

Xtreme Addict
    no, no problem, just use the latest you can find. And that will be anyways on NV site Don't bother with the driver versions you could find on EVGA site, the manufacturer's site is just good for utilities.

ps:just uninstall whatever driver you run currently, and reboot, prior to installing a new one.
    Last edited by Logos; 04-23-2009 at 02:11 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    sweet, thanks buddy, the driver download is nearly finished so I'll see how it helps.

Xtreme Addict
    I should have mentioned: check your on screen settings again (accessible with your monitor buttons), and see if there are any power management stuff available there too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]