Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Steam Is Going To Bring Back PC Gaming

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonelmore View Post
    The multiplayer and server browser is always designed by the developer. Unless your talking about some old game that used gamespy. Steam is used to integrate patches, DLC, Game Saves, Cache Defragmentation, License Management, Friends and other community features. AKA Backend
    I do not want to derail the thread but I have to bring up the sticky subject of cracked copies to prove that the Steam application is not required to run FEAR and that is enough said on that topic.

In other words all of the Steam code is written into the game and not into the Steam application which effectively acts as the game launcher.
    Hiper HPU-4M880, Q6600@3.6Ghz 1.5V, Abit IP35-E, 2x2GB OCZ Dominator PC8500, [COLOR="Blue"]XFX 6950Watercooled

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Easybeat View Post
    I do not want to derail the thread but I have to bring up the sticky subject of cracked copies to prove that the Steam application is not required to run FEAR and that is enough said on that topic.

In other words all of the Steam code is written into the game and not into the Steam application which effectively acts as the game launcher.
    I'm not the one that said it was.. i have'nt played the new fear. I have the old one downloaded from fileplanet for free tho
    Main Rig
    • Intel Core i7 4790K CPU Stock @ 4.4Ghz
    • Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
    • 32GB GSKILL Trident X 2400MHZ RAM
    • EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5
    • Corsair TX850W v2 TX Power Supply 70A 12V Rail
    • Swiftech Apex Ultima w/ Apogee Drive II & Dual 120 RAD w/integrated res
    • 2X Seagate 333AS 1TB 7,200 32MB HD's in RAID 0
    • 2X Samsung 830's 128GB in RAID 0
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB
    • Dual Asus ProArt PA248Q 24" IPS LED Monitors
    • Samsung 46" 5600 Series Smart HDTV
    • iPhone 6 Plus 64GB AT&T & Xbox One

UNOFFICIAL Rampage II Extreme Thread

24 threads to run steam? pffff nope

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 529th View Post
    do what?
    Main Rig
    • Intel Core i7 4790K CPU Stock @ 4.4Ghz
    • Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
    • 32GB GSKILL Trident X 2400MHZ RAM
    • EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5
    • Corsair TX850W v2 TX Power Supply 70A 12V Rail
    • Swiftech Apex Ultima w/ Apogee Drive II & Dual 120 RAD w/integrated res
    • 2X Seagate 333AS 1TB 7,200 32MB HD's in RAID 0
    • 2X Samsung 830's 128GB in RAID 0
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB
    • Dual Asus ProArt PA248Q 24" IPS LED Monitors
    • Samsung 46" 5600 Series Smart HDTV
    • iPhone 6 Plus 64GB AT&T & Xbox One

UNOFFICIAL Rampage II Extreme Thread

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm with ya Easybeat. I purchase my games and want them forever. It's ludicrous to have to connect to a server to play a local game. If the server goes down, you don't play. Period. FEAR 2 is definitely a perfect example -- even if FEAR 2 worked right (which it doesn't), I wouldn't purchase it simply because it forces you to install STEAM. No thanks.
    ASRock 990FX Extreme4
    AMD FX 8350
    Kingston 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3 1333
    Gigabyte NVidia GTX 680 2GB
    Silverstone 1000W PSU

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonelmore View Post
    Really? i was wondering if it was worth a shot. How is it? what is the objective of the game?

I was either going to pick up the 3d pinball game or world of goo
    Kinda hard to explain in detail but its a fun strategy game and for this cheap I would jump on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_PyLjJjYDQ
    You might be able to play the demo haven't checked.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    either way you like it , bashing steam because your too lazy to throw some files on another HD once in a while is
    Yah I wasn't bashing it

But the problem I see with it is like now the UT3 Black edition is out. Luckily I got mine retail and downloaded the patches and was done with it but over at hexus the guys over there couldn't download it at 9am GMT (when it was meant to be released) because the server was too busy and when the servers freed up they didn't get the best speeds either.

So I suppose it might be a pain when there's a new title released but after that it shouldn't be if you back it up like I do cd's

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by 529th View Post
    haha how did you manage that one?
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

when will ppl realise you dont need to connect to a server to play a local game and that you can launch steam in offline mode? and once you launch it in offline mode, it will ask you next time if you want to stay in offline mode, so you never have to connect to the internet again.

i can only laugh at those who deny themselves the opportunity to play some excellent game titles because it requires steam.
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 GHz (450 x 8) 1.44V
    Asus x48 Rampage Formula
    2 x 2GB G.Skill F2-8500@ 1200 MHz
    ATI HD5850 @ 1000/1200 MHz

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpe4ever View Post
    when will ppl realise you dont need to connect to a server to play a local game and that you can launch steam in offline mode? and once you launch it in offline mode, it will ask you next time if you want to stay in offline mode, so you never have to connect to the internet again.

i can only laugh at those who deny themselves the opportunity to play some excellent game titles because it requires steam.
    I am well aware that it can be used in offline mode as I stated in my very first post however it makes no odds it is still a requirement to play the game regardless of whether you are connected to the internet or not. Also if you need to validate a new game it needs to connect to the internet and there goes the auto-update feature.

I will say again that I do not feel as though I am missing out on a game but the manufacturer is missing out on a sale. Consumers are king at the minute and we have already seen with Spore what happens when they try to incorporate features the consumer does not like.
    Hiper HPU-4M880, Q6600@3.6Ghz 1.5V, Abit IP35-E, 2x2GB OCZ Dominator PC8500, [COLOR="Blue"]XFX 6950Watercooled

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Easybeat View Post
    I do not feel as though I am missing out on a game but the manufacturer is missing out on a sale. Consumers are king at the minute and we have already seen with Spore what happens when they try to incorporate features the consumer does not like.
    Absolutely.

Here is a link to a website that monitors what kind of DRM companies are using on games as they are released -- I just found this a couple weeks ago when researching FEAR 2 and bookmarked it and will continue using it in the future. If a game requires activation, that company does not get my $$. Period.

http://reclaimyourgame.com/
    ASRock 990FX Extreme4
    AMD FX 8350
    Kingston 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3 1333
    Gigabyte NVidia GTX 680 2GB
    Silverstone 1000W PSU

Xtreme Cruncher
    I went all weekend with no update to my Steam purchased COD WaW.
    On Monday still no update to the game.
    So then I had to go to the regedit option to install a patch and play.
    This whole situation left me with a bad taste of steam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey View Post
    I'll just change my sig to "Fold for XS or I'll post nekkid pics of meself"

INTEL Q6600 L737B075 400@x9 1.385v--Abit IP35 pro--4 gb Gskill 4-4-4-12 -Ati 6870-Dell 2407fp @1920x1200

I don't have a problem with FEAR 2 requiring Steam. I do have a problem with the rest of Monolith's games not being on Steam. Anyone know when they will remedy this?

I love steam so i got my bro on it i gave him l4d to start of with and a day later his account got hijacked so i am still tring to sort that out but its taking forever

Quote Originally Posted by Razrback16 View Post
    Absolutely.

Here is a link to a website that monitors what kind of DRM companies are using on games as they are released -- I just found this a couple weeks ago when researching FEAR 2 and bookmarked it and will continue using it in the future. If a game requires activation, that company does not get my $$. Period.

http://reclaimyourgame.com/
    Thank you for this resource! This is exactly what I needed.

I really resent when any software I may want to use forces me to run a different piece of software to run. I just want to play the game, not run Steam and have it pop up ads for new games and run in the background eating up system resources for no reason.

I go to great pains to squeeze an extra percent of performance out of my computer here and there. When something forces me to lose those gains for no good reason its not exactly a good thing.

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by Kampfzerstorer View Post
    Thank you for this resource! This is exactly what I needed.

I really resent when any software I may want to use forces me to run a different piece of software to run. I just want to play the game, not run Steam and have it pop up ads for new games and run in the background eating up system resources for no reason.

I go to great pains to squeeze an extra percent of performance out of my computer here and there. When something forces me to lose those gains for no good reason its not exactly a good thing.
    You do realize you can turn both of those things off under steam's settings right? Steam is awesome, you should learn to love it too. What you (and everyone else) should really be concerned with is the proposed limiting of internet bandwidth by greedy companies.
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    You do realize you can turn both of those things off under steam's settings right? Steam is awesome, you should learn to love it too. What you (and everyone else) should really be concerned with is the proposed limiting of internet bandwidth by greedy companies.
    I can run a Steam game without having Steam run?

No worries, while we may not see eye to eye on Steam, I assure you I'm plenty up in arms about the bandwidth costs by usage schemes. I'm surprised none of the digital download companies aren't going ballistic about this... Or are they?

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by Kampfzerstorer View Post
    I can run a Steam game without having Steam run?

No worries, while we may not see eye to eye on Steam, I assure you I'm plenty up in arms about the bandwidth costs by usage schemes. I'm surprised none of the digital download companies aren't going ballistic about this... Or are they?
    I thought you were referring to steam running when windows started. Unless you pirated a game steam will be running in the background, my bad. But yes you can turn off the pop-ups that come after you close your game.
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Member
    Sorry for the bump of an old topic but in light of the MW2 debacle that appears to be unfolding I thought it had become relevant again.

And to add to the topic my thoughts on Steam have not changed a bit.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Steam doesn't have to start with windows! Jeeez, this thread is like teaching people how to use windows! There are a bunch of Steam settings you control. Look for them. If Steam is not running, when you click the game icon then it will start. Steam is one of the best things to happen for PC gaming.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PagenII View Post
    Steam doesn't have to start with windows! Jeeez, this thread is like teaching people how to use windows! There are a bunch of Steam settings you control. Look for them. If Steam is not running, when you click the game icon then it will start. Steam is one of the best things to happen for PC gaming.
    this is true, except for them teaming up with IW on non dedicated server match making system for Modern Warfare 2. But other than that, yeah agree completely.
    This post above was delayed 90 times by Nvidia. Cause that's their thing, thats what they do.
    This Announcement of the delayed post above has been brought to you by Nvidia Inc.

RIGGY
    case:Antec 1200
    MB: XFX Nforce 750I SLI 72D9
    CPU:E8400 (1651/4x9) 3712.48
    MEM:4gb Gskill DDR21000 (5-5-5-15)
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX260 EVGA SSC (X2 in SLI) both 652/1403
    PS:Corsair 650TX
    --Cooling--
    5x120mm 1x200mm
    Zalman 9700LED
    Displays: Samsung LN32B650/Samsung 2243BWX/samsung P2350

Xtreme Member
    I'm not a big fan of steam. I'd rather have physical copies of my games so that I can sell them easier later on.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I really like steam! Have a bunch of games, L4D, allt he HL games, the Monkey Island games etc etc. Just got DoW II too. Its a very good software, don't have to worry about patching at all. BUT, I think that the European prices are way to high. I can buy a game at the store for LESS money then on steam. Luckly, there are other sites that sell CD-keys that you can feed into steam and get your game alot cheaper.
    Loonym...You are missed.

The element of one

Breathe me in
    Breathe me in

I disbelieve in separation. I close my eyes to see you.
    This is for you, everything I am. This is for you, take it from me.
    I, I disbelieve separation. I close my eyes
    there's no escaping me
    This is for you, everything I am. This is for you, take it from me.
    In your heart in your soul. I perceive rejuvenation

Breathe me in. I am forever. Deep within I am eternal.

I will return to you. I am with you always. I will never turn away from you.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrockpolak View Post
    I'm not a big fan of steam. I'd rather have physical copies of my games so that I can sell them easier later on.
    agree for many reasons
    Intel DP45SG
    4 gigs DDR3 G-Skill 8-8-8-20
    640 Caviar Black
    Dual 755 sa plextor
    Asus EAH TOP 4890 1 gig ddr5
    Q9550
    Zalman9500
    Thermaltake Armor

Xtreme Mentor
    Ok a couple things that IMO would help steam..

sort out the CRAP awful currency conversion they have going for their prices....
    Accept Debit cards...
    a big one here... they seem to be going the way of matchmaking systems i.e on L4D... just stick with old CS:S style..

the one people will most like....

To be able to sell your game key on... (aslong as your account isn't banned...) I believe you should be able to say your getting rid of the game/selling it and want to remove the key associated to your account and move it to another..
    something along those lines anyway...

so say i sell it to a friend... i can chose it on steam to sell key/move key to diff account.. hell even if there is a handling fee of a couple quid i wouldnt mind.. then type the account/email or something then tada sorted ....
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast