Thread: >1Tb on the face of a quarter

I am Xtreme

>1Tb on the face of a quarter

Self-assembling copolymers can cover large surfaces.

This may be an alternative to optical lithography. By using a precisely deformed sapphire crystal, researchers have been able to force block copolymers to self-assemble on macroscopic scales. The phenomenon has been known for some time but no one could figure out how to prevent the ordering of the subunits from breaking down as they spread over a greater distance.

The sawtooth ridges formed by cutting and heating a sapphire crystal, shown at top, serves to guide the self-assembly of nanoscale elements into an ordered pattern over arbitrarily large surfaces. Researchers say the new, easy-to-implement technique may transform the data storage industry. (Credit: Image by Dong Hyun Lee, UMass Amherst)

Banned
    already posted i think, it is an article from last week

I am Xtreme
    did a search on copolymer and didn't see anything. Plus, article was dated March 1st.

Xtreme Addict
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=218535 - Use Google: add the "news + xtremsystems". Forum Search engines are rarely capable of finding the needed results (especially those based on vBulletin). Wile google being a well structured search engine, doesn't count on luck to find what you need.

I am Xtreme
    Thanks. Who would have thought Science Daily would be a week behind Forbes? WTF? Tomorrow they'll probably have breaking news on the steam engine.

Edit: BTW, why is everyone in the other thread assuming this relates to HDD capacity? Did I misread the article? They're talking about self assembled integrated circuits aren't they?
    Last edited by twilyth; 03-03-2009 at 07:45 AM.