4 12.50%
  • using it and loving it

3 9.38%
  • using it but dont need it

0 0%

Thread: FireWire Feedback

Xtreme X.I.P.

FireWire Feedback

Used to be that ipods and highend video cameras used firewire to move huge files around quickly, but usb has caught up and since licensing is cheaper on usb, firewire has lost most of its supporters... all recent video cams are usb, as far as i know, and apple has stopped pushing firwire only as well, which leaves many wondering what firewire is good for these days.

I know some of you want firewire, now is the time to speak up

And again, thanks for the feedback!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i have never used a firewire device and i don't think i will so i voted dont use it dont want it
    CPU : Q9550 / Board : Asus P5E64 WS Evolution / Ram : 2x1 OCZ D9GTR DDR3 / Vga : HD 4870 / PSU : PPC&C 750W / SSD Ocz Vertex 30Gb / All under Water & Tec's
    Overclockers Wannabe Athens Dept...

I am Addicted!
    I have used fire once on an external dvd drive; no need for it now and as Saaya says; USB has caught up and will be getting even better soon; so I say dump it or do not use it!

Xtreme Member
    Never had it, never used it, never want it. Definitely don't want to pay to have it.

Asus Maximus Formula (Rampage Conversion Bios 0403)
    Q6600 G0 stepping@4.05 Ghz
    8GB G. Skill 1066 @ 1081 Mhz
    EVGA 280 GTX
    Auzentech Prelude
    2X 74 GB WD Raptors in Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    2X 1 TB WD Caviar Blacks in Raid 0 Vista Ultimate x64
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
    DTek Fuzion V2 in a custom CPU only water loop
    Coolermaster Stacker 830
    Hanns-G 28" widescreen
    Klipsh Pro-Media 2.1
    G15 Keyboard and G9 Laser Mouse

Xtreme X.I.P.
    well we use the best firewire chip on our boards, the texas instruements one, but even that one is cheap... i think 2$ or so.
    So thats why we used it until now. But i dont know anybody who uses firewire and rarely hear of somebody who does... and more important than saving cost is saving pcb space and ioshield space that we can use to add some other chip or use the space to improve signaling etc, and use the free ioshield space for more usb ports

Xtreme Addict
    looks like the firewire has lost its flame

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    It's a useful thing to have.
    I need it for my camcorders and also prefer it over USB when it comes to external HDDs/enclosures that don't have a e-SATA connector.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    I don't know of anything mainstream that uses it these days, TBPH. Waste of space.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    Edit* Almost all well finished enclosures have at least x1 - IEEE1394 and some HDV (miniDV type) cam still require the firewire port for real timing operation like video tranfert/capture. Edit* Prob is not necessary the external port.
    Last edited by xXlAinXx; 03-04-2009 at 05:47 AM.
    Know Your Enemy

Working on:
    FOXCONN Quantum Force Blood Rage Rev.1.1 Bios P11

newer enclosures are usb or usb + esta firewire is a legacy connection. and while i agree with camcorders a card is like $5 and most camcorders have switched to usb
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hmmm thats the btch tho, even tho a standard ist used anymore, people still carry devices with/for that standard...
    its annoying and you can get a card and its cheap... im a bit worried tho that there are only so many cards you can use...

theres no easy solution to this...

what chips are there what would hybrid firewire with something else
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

I say remove it. Continuing to support it will only lengthen its life. It's like when Apple dropped the Floppy drive, this can only be good in the long run.

If necessary you could just include it as an expansion slot, my EVGA board came with one of those. It's annoying seeing it on cases - such an old, dead port that I'll never ever use on this brand new top of the line hardware.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    what chips are there what would hybrid firewire with something else
    dont think there is a mix chip with firewire and something else... firewire plus sound seems to exist on some highend soundcards... and there are firewire plus usb chips, which are entirely useless to integrate on mainboards since usb is really something we have enough of...

2 ports would probably be enough for most people if you would integrate a usb hub on the board...

can u get a fire wire and usb chip and have some USB ports with higher polling by default or lower latency. and what about the via envy sound that has 7.1, virtual surround, openAL and firewire. ive had cards with it and its a great chip

Xtreme X.I.P.
    it is? are you sure? i read an article about it some time ago and the conclusion was that its virtual soround sound was not that good... and openAL is pretty pointless nowadays... but ill check it out

how is openAL pointless, vista and win7 only use openAL for hardware acceleration, and virtual surround over stereo headphones works (speakers it dosnt) and with openAL virtual surround adjusts the delay and mixes it so it has good directional.

the only problem is no alchemy

Xtreme Member
    well , FireWire is still king in the audio interface world. and like mentioned people still have devices that require it, plus its cheep.

so I say include it but not on the IO panel. include it as an expansion slot add on that plugs in to the board. that way it frees up IO panel space and you would still be catering to the people who still need it.
    ASRock Z77 Extream6
    Intel i7 3770K
    G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1866
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III
    Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
    CORSAIR HX1050
    GIGABYTE GTX 770 4GB

Xtreme Member
    I haven't use firewire before...
    Music is my LIFE!!!