View Poll Results: PATA Feedback

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • have no PATA want no PATA

25 62.50%
  • have no PATA but want PATA on future boards... you never know...

1 2.50%
  • have PATA HDD and want PATA on future boards

1 2.50%
  • have PATA optical drive and want PATA on future boards

2 5.00%
  • have PATA HDD & optical drive and want PATA on future boards

3 7.50%
  • have PATA HDD but dont mind upgrading to SATA

0 0%
  • have PATA optical drive but dont mind upgrading to SATA

6 15.00%
  • have PATA HDD & optical drive but dont mind upgrading to SATA

2 5.00%

Thread: PATA Feedback

Xtreme X.I.P.

PATA Feedback

Do you still use PATA HDDs? Or a PATA optical drive?
    Most of you dont like to see old interfaces on a new board, and i agree with you, it just makes the whole board look old and less advanced. There are some people who still use PATA HDDs and PATA optical drives and dont want to upgrade them... im curious how many of you out there are holding on to their PATA collection and refuse to give it up

Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by saaya; 03-01-2009 at 08:16 PM.

I am Addicted!
    as said in suggestions; Would like to see them gone!

Xtreme Mentor
    why would anyone complain about not having pata, you dont see people complaining about not having floppy connectors... the people who want pata are still on dinosaur machines anyways.. for an enthusiast board, floppy and pata should be vanished by now..
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanometer View Post
    why would anyone complain about not having pata, you dont see people complaining about not having floppy connectors... the people who want pata are still on dinosaur machines anyways.. for an enthusiast board, floppy and pata should be vanished by now..
    good question .. what is a PATA?

i like my pata drives and would want to keep them (untill i go blue ray) but if it removes the jmicron then im all for no pata
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme X.I.P.
    heh, i HAVE seen people complaining they want PATA and floppy... and those are few people but they are very loud, which is why all board makers continue to have PATA and floppy... well that and the fact that floppy basically is free as its integrated in the superpio chip, and PATA and eSATA are the same chip, and since the board makers still think firewire is a highend feature, they dont want to drop PATA and eSATA...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    good question .. what is a PATA?
    urban dictionary:
    PATA [pa:tah]
    ancient, outdated, slow, dusty, unwanted

example sentences:
    "your ps2 is so PATA man... "
    "you still dont get it? are you PATArded or what?"

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i like my pata drives and would want to keep them (untill i go blue ray) but if it removes the jmicron then im all for no pata
    yes, thats the only real reason why board makers use the jmicron controller... to have IDE for some people who still use optical PATA drives... optical drives have a much longer lifetime and get upgraded a lot less frequently than hdds, and they dont want to cut anybody off.
    but jmicron... i doubt anybody enjoys slowing their boot time down by 10 seconds just to be able to use an old dvd drive...

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Haven't used it since 2005. That says it all right there, really.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    Its really annoying to still see PATA on enthusiast boards just because a few PATArds want it

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    IF IT'S A BENCHING BOARD ( extreme overclocking ) THEN YES, WE NEED A PATA PORT
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

why do u need a pata port
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    why do u need a pata port
    1) High PCI-Express BUS frequencies
    2) Turning off the Intel ICHxR controller to gain a few points

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

i found that disabling the jmicron gives a bigger boost than the ich, and the ich runs from the pci buss and not the pci-e on the boards that ive had atleast for the x38/48. and if there was a good sas/sata built for ssd controller i think that it would be better

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    i found that disabling the jmicron gives a bigger boost than the ich, and the ich runs from the pci buss and not the pci-e on the boards that ive had atleast for the x38/48. and if there was a good sas/sata built for ssd controller i think that it would be better
    Run 150MHz PCI-Express BUS Frequency with a SATA HDD on a X38/X48 and tell me if you can see/use your HDD

yah u got me there

Xtreme Member
    Well, this might depend off the board target and specific usage. Higher PCI-Express BUS will insta fried almost all current/defected GPU, so unless u are going to hard bench uor CPU PATA are not mandatory.
    Last edited by xXlAinXx; 03-02-2009 at 09:19 PM.
    Know Your Enemy

Working on:
    FOXCONN Quantum Force Blood Rage Rev.1.1 Bios P11

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Run 150MHz PCI-Express BUS Frequency with a SATA HDD on a X38/X48 and tell me if you can see/use your HDD
    well then isnt the problem the unlocked SATA bus?
    It should be locked so when pciE goes up SATA stays fine... ill check

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i checked with our engineers and they say we lock the sata ref clock to 100 independantly of the pciE bus...
    so actually on BlackOps and Avenger and BloodRage plus upcoming boards this shouldnt be a problem and there shouldnt be any need for PATA

would be good if anybody could check it... pciE clocks should be adjustable on BR soon, once thats done im curious if pciE clocks cause problems for SATA...
    guess we will have to check

Xtreme Member
    Pata is a pita in my book, all I want/need is sata and esata (which esata can run off of normal sata bus as well, as other manufactures have done it before).

Xtreme Member
    Some of us wish to still use our old stuff from yesteryear... and still be able to enjoy "modernity" on the same mobo...

I enthusiastically bought the Blackops (and I have two of them) as opposed to another "high-end" x48 mobo because BO provided __TWO__ PS/2 ports .. floppy.. _PATA_ .. and A SERIAL COM PORT HEADER. Damn thing would have been perfect if there had been an LPT header (oldsk00l parallel port) on it

PS/2 ports - I have a _REALLY_ _REALLY_ nice KVM setup.. that was a massive $$$ investment back in the day..and with TWO PS/2 ports I can continue to enjoy this KVM awesomeness and amortize the cost of my investment over time. (PS/2 <-> USB adapters will not work well here.)

FLOPPY? No need to explain this one... floppy is sometimes necessary with certain OS

Serial COM and parallel LPT stuff .. ok ..that's more of a personal thing.. I interface with pathetically ancient hardware for archival purposes and this is the way to go. Having these ports on a separate PCI card or via USB adapter is sometimes a big big FAIL .. in-place motherboard solutions seem to work better.

PATA? Who wants to update some outstanding classic drives? My Plextor 52/24/52 is still the best CD burner/duplicator I've got..bit for bit. I've also got an archival necessity here from time to time.. in the form of ancient hdd's or ZIP100/IDE/PATA evilness that pops up unexpectedly.

Legacy compliance still sells, people. If you can add this to your feature-set at little or no extra cost, why not? Assrock's been selling plenty of those hybrid AGP/PCIe/DDR1 & 2 qcore-capable conroe mobos.. ....... and these have centronics/parallel/LPT ports, which I happen to need.. I bought two of these mobos, in case one breaks.

XmX

EDIT - Just got a call from a friend.. He wonders what he's going to do when he can no longer interface properly with the SERIAL RS232 (COM) port on his UPS.
    Last edited by XmikeX; 05-01-2009 at 07:59 PM.