Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Valve: Games are too expensive

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalu View Post
    Steam is ridiculously expensive in the EU - games are a lot cheaper in retail than they are in the digital format. It's unacceptable.
    And you can't sell the game when you're done with it either. Steam game are not for sale, they are for rent and that sucks badly.
    Crosshair IV Formula
    Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.7G
    6950~>6970 @ 900/1300
    4 x 2G Ballistix 1333 CL6
    C300 64G
    Corsair TX 850W
    CM HAF 932

Quote Originally Posted by comc49 View Post
    don't they have to pay for high speed servers?
    Oh heck yes. Their content servers are generally kicking out 22-35Gbps depending on the time of day (and that's sustained bandwidth), and that's a lotta bits to pay for the transport of.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've purchased many games from steam due to these huge sales.
    Bioshock $5, half life $1, Doom2 $0.99, Ultimate Doom $0.99, Red Orchestra $5, Stalker $5, Civ 3 (+ all expansions) $3.95, The ship $5 (and a few for friends)

I don't even care I've only played civ 3 out of all them.
    Hope this leads to more $5 sales, its difficult finding games worth playing .
    Last edited by Greg83; 02-26-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    one more thing, if you buy a game you install it and thats it, enjoy it!

if you buy it on steam your downloading games, sometimes at a crawling 20kb/s, and have to wait hours if not days before you can play the game.
    or you can play a part of the game since a part is finished downloading already, but then get interrupted in your gameplay and cant continue since your still waiting for the rest of the game to finish downloading. very frustrating experience...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    one more thing, if you buy a game you install it and thats it, enjoy it!

if you buy it on steam your downloading games, sometimes at a crawling 20kb/s, and have to wait hours if not days before you can play the game.
    or you can play a part of the game since a part is finished downloading already, but then get interrupted in your gameplay and cant continue since your still waiting for the rest of the game to finish downloading. very frustrating experience...
    Settings->Download Region->Set to some US location. Boosted mine from 300kB/s (sometimes only 100) to 1MB/s

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    very frustrating experience...
    and I feel the same when I spend hours going though boxes to find my discs.

Personally I only see low speeds when a hyped up game releases, during the first couple of hours.

Rest of the time, steam goes 1.5MB/s download for me which sure beats, connecting the usb dvd drive, finding the disc or going to the store and buying the disc.

Admin
    I'm curious how much of the "##% off" helped.

What I mean is this....surely selling a game for "$60 with 50% off" will sell better than just pricing it at "$30" from the beginning, no?

Banned
    Good point there

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Funny how people think Valve is the good guys. Sorry, last I checked these guys who are preaching "cheaper games" are talking out of the other end of their mouth by charging full RETAIL price for the right to DOWNLOAD a new game.
    I think its worth it, its the right to download it as many times as you want for forever. Doesn't matter how many times your reinstall your OS all you need to do is log into your steam account and double click the game from your games list and it will download and install it at almost the same speed as if you were using a DVD.

I find that more useful then getting a CD/DVD. Not to mention in most cases they auto patch with Steam on games that normally require going to the games web site and downloading and manually installing a patch.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykocyber View Post
    So Valve is also responsible for others publishers prices? And isn't €50 standard for retail in € using countries?
    Everyone are responsible? And no, 50€ is not a standard retail price.

Xtreme Guru
    Frankly I prefer CDs / DVDs. Why? Because I like to play Devil's Advocate.

What happens if sometime in the future Steam and Valve as a whole cease to exist for whatever reason and they have to close down the servers? Basically, all of the games you bought would be useless overnight.

Granted, it isn't likely to happen within the next while but Valve has finances to look after while my CD / DVD based games don't.

Xtreme Member
    Games are too expensive?

I wonder how much more expensive they are going to get when Steam effectively kills the resale market.
    Hiper HPU-4M880, Q6600@3.6Ghz 1.5V, Abit IP35-E, 2x2GB OCZ Dominator PC8500, [COLOR="Blue"]XFX 6950Watercooled

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    what he is saying is that it is more profitable to sell the game cheaper since u sell more units, its not a good or bad guy thing its a macroeconomic thing, it seams like a good thing to me since they had more profitability then they were carrying a dead weight loss making the market less efficient through artificial means of forcing a higher price than the demand and peak supply curves called for

and retail prices have gone way up, when i was a kid they were $20 for an snes game and even back in 04/05 games were only $30 for PC and $40 for console and now they are $50-60 for the pc and $60-80 for consoles

and u can pirate WOW there are plenty of private servers
    Frick your memory must be bad. Snes games, during intial release were never twenty dollars. Unless you bought games when they were in the bargain bin, they could never be that cheap. Final fantasy, Chrono Trigger were a 100 dollars in canada. Street fighter 2 was 84.99.

I just bought street fighter 4 for 59.99.

PC title never were released at 30 dollars unless they were budget titles.
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/554/554651p1.html

Half life 2 pricing on steam initially was 50 dollars.

Games 40 dollars for console, again either a budget title or something on sale or clearance.

The business plan everyone follows is this, sell high initially and as time goes on reduce the price to get lower end buyers. Because 50 dollars is not really that high a price(people can definitely afford this, considering the pc people are playing these on). the margins on these units are much larger.

Sure sales might have been up 3000 percent, but the game has been out for 4 months, the sales would have probably slowed down to a trickle. Add in the publicity that a sales makes and advertising by other gamers on this product and you got a reinterest and reinvigorated sales.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 02-26-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I much prefer having an actualy CD/DVD of a game, I know tend to no CD patch them due an unfortunate instance with my KOTOR 1 CD, while it will still paly the game, it will no longer install,
    However, I still prefer having the game itself, as most will let you install as many times as you want, where ever, even on non internet computers, its only recently that games have really started restricting installation options....
    I also dontl ike the idea that I dont actually have the game, so, as SKYMTL said, if they go out of business, you would lose everything, which would suck,

Xtreme Member
    Funny how people think Valve is the good guys. Sorry, last I checked these guys who are preaching "cheaper games" are talking out of the other end of their mouth by charging full RETAIL price for the right to DOWNLOAD a new game.
    I see you keep bashing valve in threads about this. You have an indestructable copy, no cd keys to worry about, and unlimited full speed downloads.

What's the problem?
    Hardware
    • Core i5 750 @ 3.6Ghz (180x20)
    • Scythe Zipang 2
    • 4x2Gb DDR3 (1080@7-7-7-16, 1.65v)
    • Gigabyte P55-UD2
    • EVGA GTX 260, Corsair 550VX, mATX case

Audio/Video
    • Samsung LN32A550 32" 1080p LCD
    • Asus Xonar Essence STX
      1. Denon AH-D2000
      2. Sony STR-DE197 -> Polk Audio M10

Desktop Picture

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradan View Post
    I see you keep bashing valve in threads about this. You have an indestructable copy, no cd keys to worry about, and unlimited full speed downloads.

What's the problem?
    In 30+ years of gaming I have never broke,damaged or lost a tape, cartridge or disc it is called looking after one's own possession's.

I would rather trust myself to look after my possession's than a 3rd party if you don't mind.
    Hiper HPU-4M880, Q6600@3.6Ghz 1.5V, Abit IP35-E, 2x2GB OCZ Dominator PC8500, [COLOR="Blue"]XFX 6950Watercooled

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradan View Post

What's the problem?
    Are people forgetting that you can actually backup a downloaded game from Steam, onto a DVD-R, right from within Steam itself, for an easy installation later, without having to re-download it?
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09BW w/ Silverstone DA750
    Asus P8P67
    2600K w/ Thermalright Venomous X Black w/ Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
    8GB G.Skill DDR-1600 7-8-7-24
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1G
    Modded Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    1 X 120GB OCZ Vertex
    1 X 300GB WD Velociraptor HLFS
    1 X Hitachi 7K1000 1TB
    Pioneer DVR-216L DVD-RW
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    From the hip and aim at the kitchen if she doesn't approve your purchases. She'll know better next time.

Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    Frick your memory must be bad. Snes games, during intial release were never twenty dollars. Unless you bought games when they were in the bargain bin, they could never be that cheap. Final fantasy, Chrono Trigger were a 100 dollars in canada. Street fighter 2 was 84.99.

I just bought street fighter 4 for 59.99.

PC title never were released at 30 dollars unless they were budget titles.
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/554/554651p1.html

Half life 2 pricing on steam initially was 50 dollars.

Games 40 dollars for console, again either a budget title or something on sale or clearance.

The business plan everyone follows is this, sell high initially and as time goes on reduce the price to get lower end buyers. Because 50 dollars is not really that high a price(people can definitely afford this, considering the pc people are playing these on). the margins on these units are much larger.

Sure sales might have been up 3000 percent, but the game has been out for 4 months, the sales would have probably slowed down to a trickle. Add in the publicity that a sales makes and advertising by other gamers on this product and you got a reinterest and reinvigorated sales.
    i used to save up all of my money to buy SNES or SMS (genesis) and they were mostly $20 except for donkey kong that was $30. i still have boxes with receipts, and the CAN dollar used to be bellow 50c USD
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    when I worked at Software ETC like a jillion years back.. ha, well.. 15 or so.. the full price of the avg PC game was between 39.99 and 49.99... so I would have to argue that since they have not grown with inflation too much (or at all in some cases) they are indeed cheaper now.. console titles (play station and xbox) were $60 new minimum... and I remember thinking to myself back in those days.. "damn, I can buy mad weed for 60 bones" . so again, not a lot has changed and with inflation, the price is actually better now to the consumer..

Gigabyte x58 UD5 / core i7 920 @ 3.8 / 6G ddr3 / 100G Patriot Inferno + 500G WD / gtx470 SLI watercooled / x-fi / 1KW enermax / 5760x1080 surround

Gigabyte z68x-ud3-b3 / core i5 2400 @ 3.6 / 8G ddr3 / 120G Intel 510 + 120G Adata S599 + 2x 1T WD blue / Zotac gt430 / x-fi / 500w ocz / 1920x1200
    DFI pro875B / pressy 2.8 / 2g corsair xms pro / 6800gt agp / 150g raptor x / 500w ultra x-connect / lots of UV lighting / smiles
    MSI K7N2 Delta-L / Athlon xp2600+ / 1G ocz platinum / chaintech TNT2 / 2x Diamond Monster 3D II SLI / Audigy / more smiles

Xtreme Addict
    That only applies to third party games.

Frankly I prefer CDs / DVDs. Why? Because I like to play Devil's Advocate.

What happens if sometime in the future Steam and Valve as a whole cease to exist for whatever reason and they have to close down the servers? Basically, all of the games you bought would be useless overnight.

Granted, it isn't likely to happen within the next while but Valve has finances to look after while my CD / DVD based games don't.
    Valve will provide you with physical copies of each game you bought, and no that's not wishful thinking.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Addict
    i used to save up all of my money to buy SNES or SMS (genesis) and they were mostly $20 except for donkey kong that was $30. i still have boxes with receipts, and the CAN dollar used to be bellow 50c USD
    I am going to look for an old egm and look for a chips and byte ad.

30 dollars for a new game upon initial release impossible.

Especially with the old excuse cartridges are more expensive than cds to produce.

So would you rather be called a liar or someone with bad memory.

Pwned

Chips and bits is a US company obviously because EGM had no canadian advertisers.

Even your PC games are in the 50 dollar range.

This ad is from 1997.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 02-26-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Maybe they should tell EA that cheaper games mean more units sold and less piracy and resulting DRM licencing costs, flame wars, bad press and bad feeling.
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    I am going to look for an old egm and look for a chips and byte ad.

30 dollars for a new game upon initial release impossible.

Especially with the old excuse cartridges are more expensive than cds to produce.

So would you rather be called a liar or someone with bad memory.

Pwned

Chips and bits is a US company obviously because EGM had no canadian advertisers.

Even your PC games are in the 50 dollar range.

This ad is from 1997.
    maybe i just bought not new ones, but $50 back int he day seams ridiculous, im going to go and look for boxes
    Last edited by zanzabar; 02-26-2009 at 03:44 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    maybe i just bought not new ones, but $50 back int he day seams ridiculous, im going to go and look for boxes
    I have an ad for used games prices, and most newer released used games are in the 40+ dollar range.
    You buying used games for 30 dollars does not even relate to this topic because it is a illogical comparison. New games shouldn't have the same price as used games. What the point of mentioning I can buy used games for 30 dollars?

Thats beyond the point those, I brought up this ad to show games have not gone up in prices for the longest time.

People saying games are too expensive are simply trying to justify piracy.

I would rather pay 50 dollars on a game, compared to 30 dollars for a bluray movie.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 02-26-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Fox View Post
    I love Valve... I'll never forgive them for ruining CS with 1.6 (don't get me started on that turd of an update...), but they're good people it seems.
    I don't get it, CS 1.5 and CS 1.6 where the best versions of CS I ever played. They ruined it with CS Source, yes it has nice graphics compared to older version, but the gameplay... Let's say you don't need skill to play CS Source, just the hardware.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast