Thread: !%^$@# DD-Tieton on GTX280 WTF?!!

Xtreme Mentor

Angry !%^$@# DD-Tieton on GTX280 WTF?!!

I'm pissed off right now. Just a little, though.

As a bunch of you may know from following my recent threads, I have been dealing with dangerously high temps on my GTX280 VRMs, while using an MCW60-R2 and the Swiftech GT200 unisink to cool the RAM and VRMs, with two 1600rpm 120mm fans blowing directly on it.

With that configuration, my GPU temp at full load never broke 50C, but my VRMs (which made very good contact with the heatsink) would hit close to 150C, and was hampering my OC, which was damn good to begin with.

Now that I installed the DD-Tieton, my VRM temps are amazing. I have not seen them scratch 65C.

But. My GPU temp is HORRIBLE!! After a few seconds of furmark on stock speeds, it hits close to 80C !!! Now ever minor overclocks artifact.

WTF!? It seems the GPU block is elevated a bit too much from the GPU. I looked on some of the NCIX reviews for this WB, and I noticed one person report the same issue, but I attributed it to a faulty mount on their part.

I am 100% positive I have the block properly mounted, with all thermal pads and paste placed properly. There are no spacers or anything like that elevating the block from the card; it is as close to the GPU as physically possible. It seems like the built in standoffs are too long or something like that.

WHAT THE HELL? I am really pissed. What can I do in this circumstance? Any suggestions on how to possibly correct my issue?
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme n00berclocker
    Have you pulled the block off to make sure its getting a good seat? I have sometimes had issues with different blocks not seating properly. You followed the instructions sometimes there isnt supposed to be a washer or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6
    damn you guys...am i in a three way and didn't know it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y.
    Im exclusively benching ECS from this point forward

Engineering The Xtreme
    hmmmm, well I know that sometimes the part surrounding the GPUIHS is elevated above the IHS preventing good contact, I saw it in a review for and HR-03... IDK dude talk to DD and see what they can do for you. they are a very friendly and accommodating company

I am Xtreme
    Don't blame the block.
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Member
    I would contact danger den directly, and see what they have to say or any advice they could give you...can you link a picture of the block mounted to the card?

I am Xtreme
    take the block apart and take a pic so we can see that the TIM looks like and how much contact you have.
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    hmmmm, well I know that sometimes the part surrounding the GPUIHS is elevated above the IHS preventing good contact, I saw it in a review for and HR-03... IDK dude talk to DD and see what they can do for you. they are a very friendly and accommodating company
    My GTX280 just has a bare IHS.. nothing surrounding it, and nothing protruding up from any of the sides.

There are no washers, rubber spacers, or anything of the sort on the front of the PCB. The block is as close to the GPU as physically possible. The PCB is flat as well, it is not bowing.

As for the thermal paste, I used Arctic Cooling MX2, a bit more than I used with the MCW60-R2, just a glob directly in the center of the IHS. I could probably have gotten away with less, but I like to be safe.

The issue is definitely something to do with the standoffs or something is too long. I will contact DD support and see what they say.

I may or may not be able to disassemble it tonight.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Mentor
    I retract my previous statement on VRM temps. They still aren't great, but nowhere near 150C... yet. Haven't been able to test without the GPU now hitting 103C at stock speed on furmark, and ramping down the clocks. But the thing is, it idles at 45C... man wtf..

Xtreme Addict
    Well I was worried about my VRM's hitting 80 with my card (although granted I guess 295 and 260 are different).

Good to know that 80 is no sweat for them.

Xtreme Addict
    I really doubt your vrms were hitting 300F...

Those are temps where solder starts to melt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef in regards to Thermaltake water cooling
    you'd be better off cooling your components with a fire....

Xtreme Mentor
    Ok, I had a chance to disassemble the block, and my suspicion was correct. There is not enough pressure on the GPU core for some reason. I even redid the mount more carefully than I did the first one, same result. I took pictures, here is what the core TIM looks like after a mount:

And here is the block mounted to the card:

As you can see, no error on my part.

DD replied and will look at these pics as well, and said not to worry I will be taken care of. Unfortunately, that e-,mail is on my main PC, which is dissembled to take those pics, so I will have to set it up again to reply and let them know.

In the mean time, any suggestions? I really believe it is mounted properly, correct?

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    As you can see, no error on my part.

DD replied and will look at these pics as well, and said not to worry I will be taken care of. Unfortunately, that e-,mail is on my main PC, which is dissembled to take those pics, so I will have to set it up again to reply and let them know.

In the mean time, any suggestions? I really believe it is mounted properly, correct?
    nope, your completely correct.

The gpu is not making any contact.

Contact DD and ask for an RMA.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.