Thread: Successor to the wii

Successor to the wii

Disclaimer:

I don't intend for any of my threads to be "post-n-run" to waste time. I'm just always busy and my schedule should be ordered better, I guess.
    Considering the aforementioned, I'll try to come back as soon as possible, but I never know what's going to come up.

[/disclaimer]

Prologue:
    I wanted to discuss whether my current prediction for Nintendo's 6th generation console are likely. They are as follows, rationally explained.

Chapter 1: What I take for granted:

1-1. It will be a modern-day SuperNES, largely about very powerful console tech affecting fun, and the controller design will be excellent, but more subtle; more like a design of the best of what's already been done.

They'll enjoy as much 3rd party support as the Super NES got; MS is kind of hurting their future generation by a lot of their own enforcement of centralizations. I believe if Nintendo can keep royalty fees lower or the same as Microsoft, provide better hardware for games with better tech quality to impress more people, and some quality development tools, then I honestly think that MS will be the one relying on in-house software next time.

1-2. I believe Sony and Nintendo will battle each other for 3rd party support. I think Nintendo will start out with the most, then Sony will be the Sega of the 16 bit era--they'll gain, but Sony has a 49% of chance, in my mind, of ultimately win this coming generation. Nintendo 51% chance. That's probably how close the results will be. Certainly the closest overall 1 on 1 competition since Sega and Nintendo battled each other a very long time ago. I also think that there will be a new generation of Neo-Geos, Jaguars, and 3DOs, as well as Sony losing largely because of an unsuccessful add-on or even two--I think it'll be that the 6th Gen Nintendo will appear tech superior, at first impression, so Sony may over-estimate their successes at increasing tech-quality through expensive add-ons. The economy will be much worse than it was in late 2008 for the next decade, so that's my rationale for expecting a lot of 90s style failures in the next decade.

Chapter 2:
    What I majoritarily predict (although I don't take the following for granted):

2-1. Nintendo quitting ATI or IBM, or both.
    They may have to go with someone other than ATi, if they want something of high-end quality that's innovative like the Super NES (i.e., high-tech and innovative hardware; the wii is only the latter).

2-2. Nintendo's staff says things giving the implication that the Wii didn't deserve all of the credit it got. Even possible explicitly saying that the Wii was not near the best they could do to provide fun for all; and that it was far more to make themself money, than for the Wii to provide the consumer with fun.

2-3.

a. Won't comparable in terms of money raked in by the Wii, but rather Nintendo 6 will be of comparable to the Super NES in terms of economic success for Nintendo.

b. I assume they'll go with more than one SKU (like Sony and MS did), they'll range from $[349, $499] or maybe even [$399-599].

Ratinale behind the afforementioned is the Japan is becoming very protectionist (which I personally can't see much reason nor decent will to blame them for), and the economy will play a role in it being Nintendo's most expensive console ever; this year's value of U.S.-release products by Japanese companies, are great evidence. Since early 07, I've expected the worst for life quality. Now I've settled on another 10 years of high prices and low quality.

c. It will live a shorter life like the 2nd, 3, and 4th Gen Nintendo consoles did. I believe the wii won't die for a while; in fact, I think it'll have licensed games for 9 years like the NES did, in the US.

Epilogue:
    I've not asked a larger group of people this since the wii was more in it's prime than it is now--in fact it's been about 6 months.

I know that these views and expectations on the 6th-gen Nintendo are >=90% radical in every way possible, but it's what I believe. I rationalized them the best I could, and hopefully they'll come across as articulated well.

I'm looking forward to all replies and I'll appreciate them.
    Last edited by Jeffersonian; 05-14-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: organization improvement, and I was having a "brain-fart" when i typed "prologue" the 1st time until i realized that mistake.

Xtreme Addict
    We already know it won't be a new console but just a hi-def Wii, that's been on the table for a while now.
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Xello View Post
    We already know it won't be a new console but just a hi-def Wii, that's been on the table for a while now.
    Are you sure about that? Has Nintendo already said that?

As far as I know, RGBA6 framebuffer and 6:1 textures wouldn't look so good in HD.

I think a tech-powerhouse is what Nintendo needs for Next-gen.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Since their current market is parents of 6 year olds; and 6 year olds, the Wii's sucessor will have to be cheap (so not powerful)

Thats why i got a PS3, is the only 'serious' counsle, the only consle left that has modern day graphics (wii is outdated hugely), not ripping you off (360), and not providing you with a low quality product that breaks (360)

Nintendo lost my intrest partially with the gamecube and completly with the Wii, yes it makes tons of money, but that doesnt make it a good console, and certainly not good for a serious gamer/technology enthusiast. Its perfect for parents/grandmas though what with the extremly simple controls that dont work right, and the extremly simple/mindless/bad games and graphics

sorry i had to just let it all out

Q9300 [Crunch] / XFX GTX285 [Fold] / EVGA 750i
    Two 250GB 7200 / 4GB XMS2 800 / 1Kw XPS PSU / Freezer Pro 7
    10,797 3DMark Vantage / Scythe 120mm Case fans / Vista U. 64
    PS3 - 700 Work Units and going strong!, XPS 720 H2C Case
    Crunching 24/7 on Q9300....might upgrade to an i7

I am Xtreme
    i'm sorry but there have been no published plans for nintendo to make a new console any time soon.
    and for them to even publically be announcing A N Y plans is completely retarded.
    they have the # 1 selling console on the market and have since it came out. (notice i said selling, not the best console)
    to even talk about a replacement now is STUPID, they are only hurting themselves.

they are far FAR from the best. and their games designed for pre teens but marketed for everyone is just silly.
    let your mommy and daddy buy you a Wii and you have fun with it, while the rest of us enjoy our 360's and those few who decided the PS3 was worth their time as a game console.
    and i own a PS3, its not worth it, there are no decent games on it, unless you do NOT own a 360.
    and please dont say MGS4, or GT 4 Prologue, or any of the others those are fanboy games.
    I own a few of their games and i rarely play them, you want to know what i play on my PS3, PAIN and Burn Zombie Burn, and Street Fighter Alpha (PS1) and Tekken Dark Resurrection.
    none of which are PS3 games. they are arcade games and a remake of a PSP game and a PS One game using an emulator.

as for the Wii, i have played it plenty and the fun wears off after a few minutes when you are sitting and playing a game that looks like its 10 years old.
    it can be fun but i want a nice looking game too, and the Wii is not that.
    that and i dont enjoy kiddie games which is EXACTLY what nintendo has become, a kiddie game console becaus ethey refuse to put any Mature or adult oriented games on their consoles

i like games i been a gamer since the intellivision, so you cant point a finger at me as any type of fanboy at all, i still own and play my sega dreamcast too, that console is just king in my eyes. sure the games dont look like a 360 or PS3 game but it has the best 2d figther and shooter games ever made.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    i'm sorry but there have been no published plans for nintendo to make a new console any time soon.
    and for them to even publically be announcing A N Y plans is completely retarded.
    they have the # 1 selling console on the market and have since it came out. (notice i said selling, not the best console)
    to even talk about a replacement now is STUPID, they are only hurting themselves.

they are far FAR from the best. and their games designed for pre teens but marketed for everyone is just silly.
    let your mommy and daddy buy you a Wii and you have fun with it, while the rest of us enjoy our 360's and those few who decided the PS3 was worth their time as a game console.
    and i own a PS3, its not worth it, there are no decent games on it, unless you do NOT own a 360.
    and please dont say MGS4, or GT 4 Prologue, or any of the others those are fanboy games.
    I own a few of their games and i rarely play them, you want to know what i play on my PS3, PAIN and Burn Zombie Burn, and Street Fighter Alpha (PS1) and Tekken Dark Resurrection.
    none of which are PS3 games. they are arcade games and a remake of a PSP game and a PS One game using an emulator.

as for the Wii, i have played it plenty and the fun wears off after a few minutes when you are sitting and playing a game that looks like its 10 years old.
    it can be fun but i want a nice looking game too, and the Wii is not that.
    that and i dont enjoy kiddie games which is EXACTLY what nintendo has become, a kiddie game console becaus ethey refuse to put any Mature or adult oriented games on their consoles

i like games i been a gamer since the intellivision, so you cant point a finger at me as any type of fanboy at all, i still own and play my sega dreamcast too, that console is just king in my eyes. sure the games dont look like a 360 or PS3 game but it has the best 2d figther and shooter games ever made.

The games i play on PS3 are: Little Big Planet, Killzone 2, GT5p, and Flower. These are all Excellent games. I also enjoy playing all the games that are on both consoles, like Call of Duty series, Burnout Paradise and GTA4. So there are defaintly many many great games for PS3 as of 2009. Im also looking forward to God of War 3

I used to own a 360, but ended up selling it due to a long line of technical failures, including broken controllers, broken disks, broken consoles. Also a broken wallet. I was a XBOX fanboi, who didnt like PS3 untill owning a 360 drove me to swtich. Had my PS3 for a year now and i couldn't be any happier, its a much better console than the 360 for me, and its cost me less so far (doesnt have tons of expensive add-ons). Also, as technology enthusiasts, Blu-ray is very important, its not a gimmik, i use the blu-ray player all the time and love all my movies in 1080p. Its nice to be ahead of the curve. I also appreciate the fact that PS3 offers free Demo's, and built in WI-FI (used to have 50ft ethernet cables for 360, thanks to my PS3;'s wifi, i can use it upstairs when im home for the summer), and doesnt overheat or break - its a quality console. Also you can swap the HDD out with a laptop one, so you dont need to drop $150 for xbox brand hard drives. Also, PS3 doesnt have those stupid "online points", another way Microsoft takes more money than you planned when buying things online. I also like the fact that the cables are standard, not PS3 brand. The controller charger is standard mini USB to USB, and power cable is standard computer cable. I also like the sixaxis, also not a gimmik, it makes games like Flower really good. PS3 also looks alot better, and looks professional instead of the teenager looking 360. Also, you can run Folding@Home on the PS3, and not on anything else

Thats why i choose PS3
    Last edited by GTSRboy; 05-20-2009 at 11:38 AM.

I am Xtreme
    I've owned two xbox 360's, one Wii and a PS3. Sold them all, only own a PS3. Why? Well I have a PC that I enjoy playing games on, and I watch alot of movies. IF I want any game on the 360, most likely I will either get it for PC or PS3, if its exclusive, then I just won't care to play it.

My PS3 is primarily my blu-ray player and I support MS a whole lot, I just think they need to consider their next-gen strategy and incorporate blu-ray.

I never liked the Wii, seemed to childish for me.
    Lian-Li Armorsuit PC-P80
    Asus P6T Deluxe w/ OC Palm| TFC X-Changer 360 x2
    Intel i7 965 Extreme Edition | Swiftech Apogee GTZ
    Asus GTX 295 x 2 (Quad-SLi) | Koolance VID-NX295 x 2
    Velociraptor 300GB | Swiftech MCP655 Pump x 2
    G.SKILL PI Black 6GB | EK 250ml Reservoir
    Tygon 7/16 Tubing | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w Fully Sleeved

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffersonian View Post
    Are you sure about that? Has Nintendo already said that?
    Not officially, obviously.

The reason they didn't include HD with the wii was because they were trying to distance themselves from the other two players (yeah there are other reasons but that would be a long paragraph and i'm tired...) They've done that now, and moving forward as HD becomes no longer HD but normal definition, they will inevitably release an upgraded version of the console, much like they've done with their handheld systems over the years.

With that, and the sudden nose dive this thread has taken to the omg-which-console-is-better? domain, i'm out...
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

Banned
    thread has went way out but ill say i think wii is cool and fun..
    now when it comes to serious gaming..pc all the way ..i dont think anything can touch it as far as that aspect goes
    the wii which i do not own but consider buying is just fun with friends to mess around on..as far as the sports n go..id never use it for anything more then that but would like for a newer version with better graphics but could also have fun just playing it as it sits..would be anything like pc gaming but still could hold my interests and would be fun with friends...however i couldnt see sitting there playing it by myself..

Xtreme Cruncher
    I currenlty have a Wii and PS3, had both for a year now (took literally 1.5 years straight to find one the Wii). Owned a 360 for about 1.5 years and sold it for the PS3. I like the PS3 the most, by alot simply because it caters to the XS 'tech' type.

That being said i do love Wii boxing. Yea the Wii remote hardly works and it takes decades to point at what you want in the menu's but Wii boxing is fun...think im gonna play it now actually

Chasing After Diety
    also the fact that console games are coming out for PC more frequently now.

i dont think theres gonna be a future in console gaming much longer. I think the new gen console is gonna be a IGP processor like an I5 which will double as a netbox / gamebox.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

no sleep, always tired TheGoat Eater's Avatar
    Yo - I hears that the successor to the Wii is gonna be a next gen device with three parts - a ball, a string, and a cup... Its self powered too! the name they are going with is "Ugh" and the "Ball in a Cup" is "Only" priced at $5. What I guess they are going for is a device that you will get bored with longer than the Wii...

consoles are garbage

instead of buying a controller, tv , console, and games

build a kickass afordable gaming rig.

consoles get out dated faster than gaming rigs =)

Antec DF 85
    W3520 @ 4.2ghz HT
    GIGA" UD5
    OCZ 6gb
    ATI 5850
    Corsiar h50
    X-Fi Titanium Pro
    Logitech z-5500
    Corsair HX-850w

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yea but Consoles are where the money is - PC games are all pirated. If anything the future is with consoles

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I will not even attempt to get involved in the 360 vs PS3 brawl that started here. Too many asshats on each side of the debate to make it worth arguing.

As for Nintendo, I do not see them as a major technology player in the console market till they lift their ban on Mature titles. Mature games are what drive the market, unfortunately. Nintendo is now trying to make a stand and make a fun console that a parent is comfortable letting their child use, unsupervised. I believe Nintendo has succeeded if their sales are any indication. Will they add High Def ? Of course. They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did not. Will they knock other consoles out of the race ? Not a chance. They are totally different markets. The Wii was always a kids'/parents'/partier's console. What games it does have are fun, and the other consoles can't touch them... but at the same time, Nintendo can't compete with the hardcore, online, late-teens early-20s crowd. Microsoft and Sony are following the market and doing what they need to make money... Nintendo blazed their own trail and did well for themselves... but they are now in a totally separate market. Comparing the Wii to the other NextGen consoles is an exercise in futility.

they need to start selling games in usb flashdrives =)

Antec DF 85
    W3520 @ 4.2ghz HT
    GIGA" UD5
    OCZ 6gb
    ATI 5850
    Corsiar h50
    X-Fi Titanium Pro
    Logitech z-5500
    Corsair HX-850w

When They Make Games Worth Buying We Will Buy Most People Just Try Before Buy Since Most Pirated Games Have No Online Play Games aren't Like They Used To Be. its all eyecandy and retarded AI

Antec DF 85
    W3520 @ 4.2ghz HT
    GIGA" UD5
    OCZ 6gb
    ATI 5850
    Corsiar h50
    X-Fi Titanium Pro
    Logitech z-5500
    Corsair HX-850w