Thread: Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Xtreme Member

Last edited by Skakruk; 12-19-2019 at 03:35 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Wasn't looking before but I am now Might pick one up from BestBuy in the next few days...
    [SIZE="1"]Balthasar Current Build >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Planned Upgrades
    CPU: Q6600 G0 @3.6Ghz>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Core i7
    MoBo: Asus P5B Deluxe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> EVGA Classified
    RAM: 4GB OCZ PC2-6400 @400 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DDR3 2000
    HDD: 2x36GB Raptor Raid 0, 1x500GB >>>>>>>>>>>>> +2x1TB WD
    GPU: EVGA 8800GTX (Stock)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2x nVidia GTX 295
    PSU: PCP&P 510 SLI >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Corsair HX1000
    AUDIO: Integrated >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> X-Fi Titanium
    OS: Vista Ultimate 64-Bit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Windows Quantum
    CASE: Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rackmounting
    MONITOR: 24" Gateway FPD2485W >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> +1xFPD2485W
    INPUT: G15, MX1000, Saitek X52 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MX Revolution

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That looks nice.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skakruk View Post

I'm really worried about the refresh 60hz rate though - I can live with the lower fps cap, but I'm still using a CRT with v-sync on in every game. V-sync causes absolutely no input lag with my CRT running at 85Hz, but a lot of people tell me they get input lag with v-sync on and all those people have LCD's, so I'm assuming it's due to the 60Hz refresh rate.

I'm not sure I could live with tearing (v-sync off) or input lag (caused by v-sync on)...

I'd also like to see an FPS gamers opinion on general input lag (ie. not the type caused by v-sync) on this monitor. My aim is poor enough already, without having to compensate for the lag that most LCD's have.

I just bought this monitor after reading the 50-page thread about the 2209WA at Hard forum, it's still $280 retail but I talked them into giving it to me for $212 with free shipping(your mileage may vary). It shipped today and will be here on 4/15. I read that this monitor can do 75 Hz ? But that you've gotta mess with it a bit to make it do 75 Hz?.. not 100% sure though.

Bought one

I got mine on june 6th I think it was and so far so good. I'm running it on my new gts250 512mb card and it works just great. CS1.6 never looked so good:-) Nothing is too dark anymore in cs not even under bridges and in hallways I can see better than I ever did with my old crt. Supreme commander forged alliance works great! I didn't know the game could pan around so fast lol. I used to run FA on an old 8600GT and it was soooooo slow but now it's super resonsive. I had to turn down the panning sensitivity just to play the game normally. All settings on high and 8x AA no problem at 1680x1050. The only gripe is the intro video is out of sync with it's own audio. I have vsync on and that should fix it but it doesn't so I will have to try with vsync off and see what happens. I have not tried going to 75hz yet because I'm still getting used to adjusting the brightness and contrast settings. For me when I adjust brightness and contrast, the edges of the screen get a little patchy as settings get lower. I have both set to 70 right now down from 75 and if there is a black screen or black background I can see patches on the upper right area and some in the middle left side so it's a fine balance between just bright enough and crappy spots here and there. If I leave all settings at default then it's ok just too bright for extended use.

EDIT:
    Forgot to mention that I only paid $199.99 with free shipping but had to pay $20.00 in tax for some stupid reason... I guess dell has an office in my state but the monitor shipped out from TN?

EDIT again:

Three year warranty! Thats the other reason why I bought it because if I have a problem in the next three years, dell will eat it oh and it will go along well with my xps700 case when I get it done:-)
    Last edited by boredtodeath; 04-20-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It looks like 75 Hz is supported but only at 1280 x 1024(only 60Hz @ 1680x1050).

supreme sync loss

Well I thought my crappy audigy2 zs platinum pro sound card drivers were holding me back but after updating those correctly thanks to daniel_k cd and creative updates I still have that sync loss problem with both supreme commander and scFA for movie playback and briefing videos, rest of the game is just fine though. Maybe these games don't correctly support 1680x1050? I say that because I used to have a 19 inch samsung 2ms lcd monitor that ran at 1280x1024 and it worked just fine with scfa as long as the vsync was on. I turn it on off it doesn't matter now lol.

Xtreme Member
    How are you people buying it for so cheap? They are asking for $400+ in Canada with tax and shipping.

I am not getting one, because after some more reviews there is quite a bit of delay, but for someone who doesn't play games or plays them casually the monitor is amazing.

what I've heard

I've heard that the reason they were so cheap for a while is because at some point in time, dell made a bunch of systems that went with this monitor for a particular kind of customer... who knows who that customer was but apparently they deal fell through and dell was stuck with a bunch of computers and monitors in america warehouses so they had to get rid of them instead of eating them. The best way to get rid of a bunch of stuff shortly is to sell it at a cheap price:-) Hardocp forums had a deal listed for the monitor and thats where I got a promo code from to get the price so low. In fact there were two promo codes but one of them expired quickly.

Now of course customers in america got a good price because thats where the overstock of the things were but people in other countries had to pay the normal price because dell wasn't going to lose any small profit they were making to clear this stuff out just to ship them around the world. Dell probably made $60 per monitor or something near that where the original price would have got them a much bigger profit.

I would also like to think that all these deals were a side effect of XS being down for a while during the time when this monitor was on sale lol. I had to read some kind of modding site to get my fix on while this place was being repaired and thats when I found the hot deals section of hard forums and this monitor.

I'm beginning to think that supreme commander and FA are just not made to run well on this monitor, 1680x1050 is not a resolution the programmers thought their customers would encounter much? Monitors are changing to better match up with flat panel tvs probably for cheaper cost and better compatibility and supreme commander came out more than a year before that started to happen.