Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: Ubuntu cruncher! Install and forget

Wuf

Talking How-To: Ubuntu cruncher! Install and forget

Well i got couple of requests to make this kinda howto from this
    The installion is pretty much this: Put cd in and click next but and fill couple forms if you fail in this you're an idiot

First lets get the installion image file and burn it.

64X or i386 Images:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Imgburn is light'n fast burning software.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Or use the UNetbootin to make an booting installer stick.
    UNetbootin dls the image files and makes the stick bootable automaticly, over 1GB sticks prefered.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Lets begin!

select your language:

Now just press enter:

Next you should see window like this:

CLICK install that's what you wanna do

Just press next when these appear unless you really wanna read em!:

Now you need to select you HDD i prefer use whole disk if you're just planning to run cruncher

Now just will these forms as you like, Just remember to check: Login automaticly!:

You're done! Just press Install button and take cup of coffee this i'll take a while ~5-10min =P

I'll post little later about the boinc installion
    Last edited by Movieman; 04-13-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet
    [22:53:09] [@Jaco-XS] i'm gonna overclock this damn box!
    Ze gear:
    Main rig: W3520 + 12GB ddr3 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0! + HD7970 + HD6350 DMS59 + HX520 + 2x X25-E 32gig R0 + Bunch of HDDs.
    ESXI: Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Node - 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    ZFS Server: Supermicro 826E1 + Supermicro X8DAH+-F + 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + 10x 3TB HDDs + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    Lappy!: Lenovo Thinkpad W500: T9600 + 8GB + FireGL v5700 + 128GB Samsung 830 + 320GB 2.5" in ze dvd slot + 1920x1200 @ 15.4"

Wuf
    OK! Installion done:

Press restart now.

BOINC that's what we wanna see!

Locate console/terminal:

Write:
    Code:
    wget http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_6.6.4_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh <- 32b
    or
    wget http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_6.6.4_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.sh <- x64
    or you can use any other earlier version instead of those i listed :)

2. sh boinc_6.6.4_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.sh <- x64
    or
    sh boinc_6.6.4_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh <-32b

With 64bit version remember to install ia32-libs 
    2a.
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

*HINT* You can use tab in console ;) first letter of file *tab*
    Now in console reads:
    use /home/*username*/BOINC/run_manager to start BOINC

Lets not do that yet. Lets set the autostart

Autostart boinc on boot

Locate Sessions name service (System - > Preferences - > Sessions), just try follow what i do next :P

Press Add

Press browse

Press add:

If you have this kinda view front of you, well you've done it right.

Time to reboot
    The power buttons are located at right upper corner, restart your rig from there lets test does the autostart work and then you can setup your account data for boinc

If you see this window when the desktop has been loaded you can say success!

AND what comes to my low res i were runnin that OS from vmware

Here's some good guide made by karl_eller which can be found from end of second page:

Setting up Remote Desktop for Ubuntu + Monitoring and Overclocking with Ubuntu

I should also point out that this guide works great for installing Ubuntu on a USB disk, just select the USB disk when doing the "Guided, use the whole disk" part. Then on this screen, click "Advanced" and choose to install GRUB on the USB (usually something like sdb1) rather than HDD:

While this does technically put the swap partition on the USB drive, on my E7200 with 2Gb RAM, Linux doesn't use ANY of the Swap partition, and barely 1/4 of the RAM, so I'm not worried about constant swap read/writes destroying the USB drive.

Monitoring and Overclocking with Ubuntu
    So you've followed s0lid's excellent guide so far, and you have your shiny new Ubuntu machine up and crunching. However now you want to be able to check on the PC without having to have a screen/keyboard attached to it, and most importantly you want to keep an eye on temps and be able to overclock. That's where this little guide comes in.

First:
    Setting up Remote Desktop

OK, first things first, you are most likely going to want to set a static IP to your machine, if you haven't done so already. Static IP addresses make it much easier for configuring things like remote desktop, since the IP of the machine won't change when the PC and/or router restarts.
    To do this, find the network icon in the top-right, right-click on it and click "Edit Connections", which should bring up a screen like this:

Click on "Auto Ethernet" (or whatever your connection may be called), then click "Edit". Click the "IPv4 Settings" tab and select "Manual" from the method drop-down menu.
    Now you'll need to enter in the desired IP address, netmask and default gateway. The IP address will depend on how your network is configured, although in most cases it will be something like 192.168.1.xxx (where xxx is between 1 and 255). I suggest starting from a high-ish number (eg 80 or higher) so that the router's DHCP still has plenty of IPs for automatic assignment. Netmask is usually 255.255.255.0, although that might be different depending on your network setup. Gateway is the IP of your modem, usually something like 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1.
    Once you've done that, enter the IP for your router (and any alternate IPs it may have) in the "DNS Servers" box, and you'll wind up with something that looks a little like this:

Click "Apply" and then close the "Network Connections" window. To check it is configured properly, right-click the Network icon again, untick "Enable Networking", and then tick it again. If all is well, you should have net connection again, and the "Connection Information" window (again found by right-clicking the Network icon) should show the correct IP Address and Primary/Secondary DNS's.

Right, so that's your static IP set up. Now lets get some kind of remote desktop happening.

To do that, click: System > Preferences > Remote Desktop, like thus (although you most likely won't have boxes ticked):

Just a random note, with this window, unlike a lot of other settings windows, changes are applied immediately upon ticking/unticking a box instead of waiting for Apply/Cancel, so if you're running this headless, make sure you don't untick "Allow other users to view your desktop" or "allow other users to control your desktop" while using a VNC program, otherwise you may find yourself locked out like I did

So now, you want to tick "Allow other users to view your desktop", "allow other users to control your desktop", and make sure that "You must confirm each access to this machine" is UNticked. Password is optional (Remote Desktop will only accept connections from the local network by default, AFAIK), depending on how much you trust other users of your local network. You should wind up with a screen that looks like the above.
    What this does is enable Ubuntu's built in VNC program, so you are obviously going to need a program to connect to a VNC server. I personally use UltraVNC which has a really nice little stand-alone VNC Viewer.
    To double check everything is working, use your VNC program of choice to try connecting to the Ubuntu machine. I use the IP Address (hence setting a static IP), since I have isses connecting to hostnames on a mixed Windows/Linux network. If it works, contgratulations! If it doesn't, you'll need to re-check your network settings.

Temperature monitoring

So we're accessing this machine remotely and it's crunching 24/7. But there is a heat-wave coming, or you're wanting to OC a bit, and you want to be able to check temperatures. Luckily, Linux has you covered. Open up a terminal window, and enter the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lm-sensors gkrellm
    enter your root password and answer "y" to any prompts.
    This installs the lm-sensors package (one of the most common, and really the only, temp sensor package in Ubuntu) and the GNU Krell Monitors, a nice little sidebar-like program that reads lm-sensors.
    If you have any problems installing by the terminal, you can install them via the Synaptics Package Manager. Click System > Administration > Synaptics Package Manager, search for the 2 packages ("lm-sensors" and "gkrellm"), mark them for install and then click "apply".

Now you have them installed, you need to configure lm-sensors. In a terminal window, enter:
    Code:
    sudo sensors-detect
    It will now ask you a bunch of prompts as to if it should scan or load certain things, you will want to enter "Yes" to all of them. Once it has finished scanning, it will give you a summary and ask you to press Enter a couple of times to continue. Do so. You'll end up with a terminal that looks a little like this:

Pay attention to the stuff between the two "#----cut here----", these are the sensors that have been detected on your motherboard. They will vary from board-to-board, although all of them should have at least "coretemp" in common. Enter "yes" for the last prompt, and you've finished sensors-detect.

Now all that does is detect what sensors are available, it doesn't actually install the modules required to read them (despite what it might say about editing /etc/modules), you'll need to enter each one manually using:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe [module name]
    For example, on my MSI P35 Neo2-FR, sensors-detect found "f71882fg" and "coretemp", so I entered:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe f71882fg
    sudo modprobe coretemp
    Once you've done that, check that lm-sensors is working, by typing
    Code:
    sensors
    into a terminal. You should end up with something that looks a little like:

Of course the actual output will vary a lot depending on what sensors your motherboard has, but you can at least see the temps for each core, vCore and System (usually the Northbridge, but YMMV). As you can see, not all the voltage readings are entirely trustworthy, depending on what sensors you have and what your board can monitor. You'll need to figure out what can be believed and what can be ignored. In my case, only vCore reads even remotely close to what it should be, so I'm ignoring the rest of the voltage readings.

OK, so that's lm-sensors installed and configured. But terminals are boring, and it doesn't update, so we need something that can read lm-sensors real-time and give us some nice pretty graphs and stuff. This is where Gkrellm comes in. You can launch it by clicking Applications > System Tools > GKrellM System Monitor.

To open the Configuration, either click anywhere on the GKrellM window and hit F1, or right-click on the hostname and click "Configuration". The sensors and other items can be found by expanding "Builtins". I won't bother going into what different things do and how they should be set up, as it'll add way too much to this already kinda lengthy How-to, and I'm sure most of you can figure it out.

This is how mine looks:

Overclocking and stress-testing tools

When it comes to tools for OC'ing, Ubuntu doesn't have a whole lot in it's repositories. However tools do exist, and they are pretty handy. Two that I use are PerlMon, a CPU-Z equivalent, and SysTester, which basically runs X threads of Y loops of Z length SuperPi, and error checks the whole way, rather than making you validate a checksum at the end. I find around 30 loops of 8M digits on all cores gives you a fairly good indication as to if it's WCG stable or not. But as with all OC'ing, YMMV, and the amount of time taken to complete these loops will vary a lot depending on your clock speed.

------------------

Hopefully I was able to help people out with this little addition to s0lid's existing Ubuntu guide.

Eller
    Last edited by s0lid; 08-10-2009 at 10:12 PM.
    Ze gear:
    Main rig: W3520 + 12GB ddr3 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0! + HD7970 + HD6350 DMS59 + HX520 + 2x X25-E 32gig R0 + Bunch of HDDs.
    ZFS Server: Supermicro 826E1 + Supermicro X8DAH+-F + 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + 10x 3TB HDDs + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    Lappy!: Lenovo Thinkpad W500: T9600 + 8GB + FireGL v5700 + 128GB Samsung 830 + 320GB 2.5" in ze dvd slot + 1920x1200 @ 15.4"

Xtreme crazy bastid
    I would like to add a little something ... you want your session to auto-start run_client not run_manager. That way you can open the manager whenever you want and close it again without killing the client or wasting cycles making pretty pictures.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm getting ready to set up a couple of crunchers and I'll try this out.
    20 Logs on the fire for WCG: i7 920@2.8 X3220@3.0 X3220@2.4 E8400@4.05 E6600@2.4

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Thread stuck.. Thanks s0lid!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Love will tear us apart
    Yeah, thanks, as some folks apparently had trouble this is long overdue!
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

Xtreme Cruncher
    great guide solid edit the title tho to add the "h" in cruncher
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks solid. The linux noob in me gave up far to early! I now recognise what I was doing wrong. Can this work with BoincView?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Great guide, 8.04 is a lot faster than 8.10 in Folding so I am sure it would be in WCG also. Something about the newer kernel is slower...

Xtreme Addict
    Sweeeeet. No time now, but I'll be back.....

_
    You can also get the Boinc cient from the applications>add/remove it may not be the newest though.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    That's the same one you get if you open the terminal and enter "sudo apt-get install boinc-client boinc-manager" (or do it through the synaptic package manager), trouble is, they never update it between OS releases.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Does the 64 bit client still require you to install the ia32libs in order to work ? I guess it's been a little bit since I've done a new one. Before, you needed to do that in order to run the work units, which are 32 bit. I believe some projects may now have native 64 bit code but some not.
    Also, an editing idea, include a link to the ubuntu download page instead of directly to the .iso files for the current versions.

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by don_xvi View Post
    Does the 64 bit client still require you to install the ia32libs in order to work ? I guess it's been a little bit since I've done a new one. Before, you needed to do that in order to run the work units, which are 32 bit. I believe some projects may now have native 64 bit code but some not.
    The last time I did a fresh install they weren't required, but that could be that they were already installed by default, too. If in doubt, install them.

"sudo apt-get install ia32-libs"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wuf
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    I would like to add a little something ... you want your session to auto-start run_client not run_manager. That way you can open the manager whenever you want and close it again without killing the client or wasting cycles making pretty pictures.
    Good point btw!

Quote Originally Posted by 64dragon View Post
    great guide solid edit the title tho to add the "h" in cruncher
    Fixd =)

Quote Originally Posted by emuexport View Post
    Thanks solid. The linux noob in me gave up far to early! I now recognise what I was doing wrong. Can this work with BoincView?
    Well i don't know for sure, i've never used boincview before.

Quote Originally Posted by don_xvi View Post
    Also, an editing idea, include a link to the ubuntu download page instead of directly to the .iso files for the current versions.
    64bit client installs w/o any addional libs

Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    That's the same one you get if you open the terminal and enter "sudo apt-get install boinc-client boinc-manager" (or do it through the synaptic package manager), trouble is, they never update it between OS releases.
    Just tried to check which version of boinc reposities have. Couldn't find
    Ze gear:

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by s0lid View Post
    Just tried to check which version of boinc reposities have. Couldn't find
    8.04 is still pushing 5.10.45

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Go to GetDeb is where I get mine its a little newer..

version 2.0
    I seem to remeber I had to install the ia32libs last time I installed Ubuntu.

I would suggest to do it anyway (to be safe) by typing 'sudo apt-get install ia32-libs'

Xtreme Cruncher
    This is a great sticky but I would like to know 2 things.

Is there a good app like coretemp for ubuntu?

Secondly is there also something as Prime95 to test the cpu because i just build a Q6600 cruncher on ubuntu and want to clock it but I don't have/ can't find the apps like for windows.

Thanks.

version 2.0
    I use a monitoring applet called gKrellm .
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...m/gkrellm.html

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks i got gKrellm running now but it does not detect the temps. I have installed the lib package for the lm-sensorss with detect-sensors he finds my sensors and with sensors in the terminal it also gives me some temperature.

I'm just such a noob at this linux stuff.

version 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramaistro View Post
    Thanks i got gKrellm running now but it does not detect the temps. I have installed the lib package for the lm-sensorss with detect-sensors he finds my sensors and with sensors in the terminal it also gives me some temperature.

I'm just such a noob at this linux stuff.
    read here from post #22
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ghlight=ubuntu

Royal Administrator
    Dead image links? Only two images took forever to load. If you like, I can host these images for you.

Wuf
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraf View Post
    Dead image links? Only two images took forever to load. If you like, I can host these images for you.
    XS.to is slow as hell i see... wait a sec i'll host these at BX.fi

E: 2nd posts pics moved to new server, need to dl pics from 1st post, they're not on this rig anymore
    Last edited by s0lid; 04-25-2009 at 09:01 AM.
    Ze gear:

I am Xtreme
    Looks like you edited this today-thanks a million. I will be getting the sammies up and running on this and this guide is the bestis!!!

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast