Thread: XSPC DDC mod top, must it be PERFECTLY centered?

Xtreme Addict

XSPC DDC mod top, must it be PERFECTLY centered?

It mentions in the instructions for the XSPC custom top that you should check to make sure it's centered on the impeller. That is that the XSPC intake is centered over the impeller intake.

I can tell you that with mine it does not line up perfectly once screwed in no matter what orientation you put it in in or how you screw it together.

But it's pretty darn close and the hole on the XSPC top doesn't go past the inlet hole on the impeller. It's just noticeably off center if you look at it dead on.

Hopefully this image will explain roughly what I'm talking about. Blue = impeller, glassy texture = inlet of XSPC top, black = pump/background.

That's approximately what I'm looking at here. The inlet from the top is feeding into the impeller inlet, but it's off center and there's nothing I can do about it.

Now I assume this won't affect performance negatively as I suspect that very few of these tops and pumps are cut to absolute perfection to the point where they line up flawlessly.

Or do I just have a bad top?

After my D5 died I'm a little bit nervous about a pump which I'm told is less reliable, so hopefully you guys can assuage my worries.

Xtreme Batrachian
    I don't know whether they're supposed to line up perfectly or not...

But I do have three of these tops, and none of them do. All of them are slightly off centre.

Not enough to "cover" the centre of the impeller (if you know what I mean), but they are 1 or 2 mm off (depending on the particular top).

This didn't seem to impair the performance of the pump in any way though.

However, all the rest of the tops I've tried (EK V1, EK V2, Petra's and XSPC X-Res) did line up...
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think what you're seeing is the spiral volute shape of the impeller chamber...like this: LINK

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdun View Post
    I think what you're seeing is the spiral volute shape of the impeller chamber...like this: LINK
    No no, I'm referring to the direct center of the impeller. Where the water is taken in.

Xtreme Member
    @Sly Fox ,
    Yes the two holes should line up as perfectly as possible . If you recently got your top . XSPC has changed the bolts to shoulder bolts . That limit the movement of the top on the pump base .
    I went to ACE Hardware and got 4mmx25 stainless allen screws to replace the XSPC screws . Had no issue with alignment after that .
    j

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I just fired up the two in my setup last night, worked fine. They are not perfect. There not built perfectly. Don't worry too much about it.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Is it going to leak if you don't have it dead center? Mines won't align either no matter what

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyluu View Post
    Is it going to leak if you don't have it dead center? Mines won't align either no matter what
    It's a spiral volute so it wont look perfectly centered, put the inlet center to the hole on the impeller, if it wont center turn the top 90 degrees, continue turning until it works