View Poll Results: our fittings included?

Voters
263. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

161 61.22%
  • no

102 38.78%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: MCR-QP Stackable Radiator Series Released

Xtreme Addict
    Guess im a little slow but glad to see these out.
    This will be my next rad purchase.

To bad both of my ST rads are of the (built in res types).
    ^^^^^All shaken, (from the earthquake) not stirred^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    There's a lot less voodoo in watercooling than is assumed
    The only thing future proof in electronics, is the electricity itself.

Any one who relies on only one source of information is a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    no instructions? this is included with every radiator: http://www.swiftech.com/products/ins...-stackable.pdf

are you sure?????
    Yup, positive. I searched the box looking for them. I kinda figured that the .pdf file from your link was supposed to go to the printers and then included with the radiator.

You know, you could always attach the instructions to a 3" piece of 1/2 inch tubing...

The "Warning! don't poke holes in your radiator!" sheet was there, just not the installation instructions.

OK, I've been playing around with my new Swiftech rad sandwich for most of the day. Some random thoughts about it...

1. As mentioned, it did not come with the instructions it was supposed to have. It had the "Warning, don't put a hole in your radiator with screws that are too long!" sheet in it. The very same sheet that came with my first MCR320-QP-K which was not stackable. This is strictly a guess, but I'm thinking there was some confusion somewhere at Swiftech, and whoever was supposed to make sure the actual *stackable instructions* from Gabe's link above screwed up; they put the "Warning! Don't punch a hole in your radiator with screws that are too long!" in the box, but failed to put the instruction sheets in the box. I did print up the instructions from Gabe's link. The very first section of the instructions gave the "warning! don't put a hole in your radiator with screws that are too long!" warning, so I kinda think the seperate sheet with that warning wasn't supposed to be included. Gabe, if you should happen to read this, you might want to call one of your retailers (I got mine from Jab-Tech) that have the stackable radiator in stock, and ask them exactly what pieces of paper they have in their boxes. Make sure you are super clear that a sheet that just has the warning about screw lengths isn't what should be there. It should be three sheets of paper detailing the installation instructions.

2. You must be *very very* accurate in the lengths of tubing that you cut for the small fittings. If you're going to screw up the length, do it shorter rather than longer. If your tube is cut even just a touch long, the snap rivets won't be able to seat correctly. Trust me on this.

3. The tubing junction should either have two wider worm gear clamps, or four of the small ones included. Centering the narrow gear clamp so that it gets equal purchase on both of the short fittings is not easy. Especially if you cut your tube 1/16" too long. It would be much more secure to have two of the small gear clamps on each fitting. OK, that sounds confusing. Let's just say it would be great to have a total of four worm gear clamps, just like the two that are included.

4. The extra rivets came in handy. This is also why it's best to err on the short side on the tubing. The rivets are completely dependent on seating *ALL* the way in order to provide a good attachment for the fans. If your tube is cut even ever so slightly long, this isn't going to happen, and the rivets will not be holding nearly as well as they should. Unfortunately, I cut my tubing a bit on the long side. The rivets at the other end of the rad were able to get a good seat, but as you work closer to the fittings end, a gap becomes visible and widens til you get to the last fan mounting holes, which really have a nasty gap. Totally my fault, and easily fixed, either by making sure you cut the tubing correctly, or talking Gabe into bumping the price of the rad up a few bucks and giving us pre-cut lengths for both 25 mm fans and 38 mm fans.

5. Amazingly, my flow rate did not drop at all after installing the second rad. I had exactly one GPM prior to installing the second radiator, and that's exactly what I have now. Pretty wild... I don't know how it's possible, but I double checked the flow rate.

6. Great temp results so far. I had six fans on my single MCR320-qp-k, but right now I only have three total on the rad sandwich. I have six more on order so that I can totally max out the rad sandwich with nine fans. So right now, I've lost three fans but gained one radiator. My temps have dropped 5 C at idle, and 8 degrees when loaded. I'm expecting that adding another six fans will change those numbers quite a bit.

7. The inside of the radiator was totally clean. I flushed it like crazy, and got absolutely nothing out of it.

All said, I'm very happy with it. Thanks Gabe and Swiftech!

Xtreme Member
    pneubmatic What system do you have (specifically, whats under water)? I have $122 in my wallet, of which is the exact I need for extra fans/stackable rad... Is it worth the buy? I'm starting to think it is.
    Last edited by DarkCow; 03-11-2009 at 03:34 AM.
    EVGA 780i - 07 [ FSB:1.4v SPP:1.50v MCP:1.6v SPP<>MCP:1.3v ]
    Q6600 G0 L747A [ 400x9:3.6ghz @ 1.38v ]
    xFx GTX260 216 Black Edition [ GPU:740Mhz Shader:1515 Ram:1215Mhz ]
    6 GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-800 4-4-4-15 [ 990Mhz ]

Tokara IV - Watercooled Wood case work log

core i7 920 OC'd to 3.6 and a single EVGA GTX295.

Water blocks are a Swiftech Apogee GTZ and EK GTX295 wb., then of course the rad sandwich, which is 2 Swiftech MCR320's. This is all one loop, btw.

I've only been running the stack for just over a day, but I'm very pleased with it so far.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Guys how does a Swiftech MCR220 sandwich compare to one Feser 240 rad?
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 4.8GHz
    MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-G1.Sniper M5 MATX 1150
    MEMORY: G.SKILL Trident X 8GB 2400MHz 9-11-11-31 1T
    GPU: 2 x eVGA GTX 780 SC
    SOUND KRK Rokit 5 Limited Edition White Studio Monitors
    SSD: 4 x Samsung 128GB Pro's Raid 0
    PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W
    COOLING: 2 x Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 420mm 6 x Swiftech Helix 140mm Fans
    CASE: Lian Li PC-C32B TECH STATION MOD build log coming soon
    MONITOR: ASUS VG278HE Black 27" 149Hz
    O.S: Windows 7 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu(ky View Post
    Guys how does a Swiftech MCR220 sandwich compare to one Feser 240 rad?
    While I haven't seen official tests, it would stand to reason that the Swiftys would kick the crap out of Feser. One Swifty is at most 8% off the best rad. IIRC another rad will add at least 50% more to the first Swifty.

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by pneubmatic View Post
    OK, I've been playing around with my new Swiftech rad sandwich for most of the day. Some random thoughts about it...

1. As mentioned, it did not come with the instructions it was supposed to have.
    I am confirming that there were NO installation guides included. There was a misunderstanding internally. We are mailing the missing installation guides to resellers today.

2. You must be *very very* accurate in the lengths of tubing that you cut for the small fittings. If you're going to screw up the length, do it shorter rather than longer. If your tube is cut even just a touch long, the snap rivets won't be able to seat correctly. Trust me on this.
    I have added a statement in the installation guide to further warn users about this:

3. The tubing junction should either have two wider worm gear clamps, or four of the small ones included. Centering the narrow gear clamp so that it gets equal purchase on both of the short fittings is not easy. Especially if you cut your tube 1/16" too long. It would be much more secure to have two of the small gear clamps on each fitting. OK, that sounds confusing. Let's just say it would be great to have a total of four worm gear clamps, just like the two that are included.
    I agree that 4 clamps would be ideal, unfortunately there is not enough room for that (if you use 25mm fans in between the rads).

The width of the band for mini worm drive clamps is 0.300" (7.8mm). This is too wide to use behind the barb.. so you have to use it over the barb to make the seal. Using one clamp over 2 barbs sits the band true over the barbs. We didn't find that centering the clamp was particularly difficult to accomplish, so didn't see it as a problem.

If anyone has a better solution, let me know.

.. talking Gabe into bumping the price of the rad up a few bucks and giving us pre-cut lengths for both 25 mm fans and 38 mm fans.
    I have practical issues with that, issues that I couldn't fix at the time of release:

1/ we are held by a higher standard, so we would need to cut the tubes absolutely square. We need to find good cutting equipment for that. Right now tube cutting is not our primary activity as you can imagine, so we are not properly equipped for it.

2/ with cost of labor being so high, we need to automate the process. It becomes a question of capital investment. We released the stackables following demand from XS members.. so it was a trial, and we made a small quantity to test the market. If the product takes off, then I'd would certainly be inclined to provide precut tubing.
    Last edited by gabe; 03-11-2009 at 09:56 AM.
    CEO Swiftech

Engineering The Xtreme
    8c at load, now thats what I am talking about glad to see I wasnt full of it when I came up with this stacking

I am confirming that there were NO installation guides included. There was a misunderstanding internally. We are mailing the missing installation guides to resellers today.

I have added a statement in the installation guide to further warn users about this:

I agree that 4 clamps would be ideal, unfortunately there is not enough room for that (if you use 25mm fans in between the rads).

The width of the band for mini worm drive clamps is 0.300" (7.8mm). This is too wide to use behind the barb.. so you have to use it over the barb to make the seal. Using one clamp over 2 barbs sits the band true over the barbs. We didn't find that centering the clamp was particularly difficult to accomplish, so didn't see it as a problem.

If anyone has a better solution, let me know.

I have practical issues with that, issues that I couldn't fix at the time of release:

1/ we are held by a higher standard, so we would need to cut the tubes absolutely square. We need to find good cutting equipment for that. Right now tube cutting is not our primary activity as you can imagine, so we are not properly equipped for it.

2/ with cost of labor being so high, we need to automate the process. It becomes a question of capital investment. We released the stackables following demand from XS members.. so it was a trial, and we made a small quantity to test the market. If the product takes off, then I'd would certainly be inclined to provide precut tubing.
    OK, to start off, this is exactly why I will continue to buy and use Swiftech products. It's not often that the CEO of a company will come to a forum and give responses to his customer's concerns. Yup, you may call me an official Swiftech fan boi now if you'd like.

I'm the reason they have to put "Warning!" labels on everything. Looks like I succeeded again here.

I completely understand what you're saying about including the tubing. Hopefully the new rad will take off and you'll be able to justify the additional expense.

Now about the worm gear clamps... I was able to find some small enough that you could put two per fitting on the MCR320 rad sandwhich. However, the max OD they will accommodate is 5/8". I got them at Home Depot. They are labeled "Ideal Stainless Steel Hi-Grade Nickel Alloy SAE SIZE #4, model No. 62604" They will work on Tygon tubing that is 1/2" ID X 5/8" OD. I am using 25 mm fans, too. Scythe SFF21G's to be exact.

Thanks for your response, Gabe, and thanks for the outstanding products, too.
    Last edited by pneubmatic; 03-11-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    8c at load, now thats what I am talking about glad to see I wasnt full of it when I came up with this stacking
    I agree, i had a lot of people telling me it wouldnt work and even run hotter
    ^^^^^All shaken, (from the earthquake) not stirred^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    There's a lot less voodoo in watercooling than is assumed
    The only thing future proof in electronics, is the electricity itself.

Any one who relies on only one source of information is a fool.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    However, the max OD they will accommodate is 5/8". I got them at Home Depot. They are labeled "Ideal Stainless Steel Hi-Grade Nickel Alloy SAE SIZE #4, model No. 62604" They will work on Tygon tubing that is 1/2" ID X 5/8" OD.

I buy the same at Lowes in a 10 pack for a few $. Size 4 Ideal and they are rather thin compared to the typical tube clamp.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Perhaps you could even offer a "Premium Stack" that uses SLI Watercooling Bridges between the two radiators ? It would certainly look cleaner, and more solid.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Z3VH View Post
    Perhaps you could even offer a "Premium Stack" that uses SLI Watercooling Bridges between the two radiators ? It would certainly look cleaner, and more solid.
    That would be great, but it would only work for guys with 38 mm fans. The SLI fittings are too long even at their shortest to work with 25 mm fans.

Gabe,

I just received my new stackable MCRs. They are well made and I'm sure they work beautifully. I'll be cleaning them first before installing.

Thanks for releasing this product evolution. Glad you listen to your customers.

Regards
    Ian

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    Gabe,

I just received my new stackable MCRs. They are well made and I'm sure they work beautifully. I'll be cleaning them first before installing.

Thanks for releasing this product evolution. Glad you listen to your customers.

Regards
    Ian
    I haven't seen you post much these days Ian, and I was wondering about you..glad to see you are still active in the community, and good luck with your upgrade!
    CEO Swiftech

Mr Swiftech
    OK, to start off, this is exactly why I will continue to buy and use Swiftech products. It's not often that the CEO of a company will come to a forum and give responses to his customer's concerns. Yup, you may call me an official Swiftech fan boi now if you'd like.

I'm the reason they have to put "Warning!" labels on everything. Looks like I succeeded again here.

I completely understand what you're saying about including the tubing. Hopefully the new rad will take off and you'll be able to justify the additional expense.

Now about the worm gear clamps... I was able to find some small enough that you could put two per fitting on the MCR320 rad sandwhich. However, the max OD they will accommodate is 5/8". I got them at Home Depot. They are labeled "Ideal Stainless Steel Hi-Grade Nickel Alloy SAE SIZE #4, model No. 62604" They will work on Tygon tubing that is 1/2" ID X 5/8" OD. I am using 25 mm fans, too. Scythe SFF21G's to be exact.

ok, I will look into it.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Addict
    Can you stack the MCR320-Res with the MCR320-Stack?

Xtreme Addict
    Mine are on the way so I'll give feedback once I have them in hand. I've only ever had an MCR120 in hand before...
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That would be great, but it would only work for guys with 38 mm fans. The SLI fittings are too long even at their shortest to work with 25 mm fans.
    Hmmm... interesting... I figured when Gabe posted this that the diagram, not his text, was the correct number...
    To All:

The schematic below will put the debate to a rest.

To anyone in the "No" crowd, I am asking to please measure your SLI fittings (or whatever 1/4" BSPP fitting you plan on using), from base of the flange, to tip of the fitting, and report here.. if it exceeds 8.3mm (0.32"), it won't work, at least with a 25mm fan.

If using a 38mm, then MAX fitting length from flange base to fitting tip should not exceed 14.8mm (0.58")

That diagram stated 18.4mm, while the SLI bridge is 18.0mm, expandable to 30.0mm.

I understand that the alignment may not be perfect, but that isn't as large a problem since I don't feel the "sandwich clips" for the fans are necessary if you use an external solution such as zip ties to hold the sandwich together. It would have been nice to see the "Stack Radiator" designed so the screws can simply pass all the way through the finned portion so you can just pass a screw through the entire rad and fans, and into the other rad.

Edit: Also, Gabe... would it be possible to have a "Serial Stack" radiator made ?

What I mean is... the regular MCR if you look directly at it, has a V-shape between the two barbs... if you simply designed the top of the Stacking radiator so one barb is moved to the center of that V, you could stack these in a serial configuration without worrying about fitting compatibility or clearance, or using special fan shrouds to gain enough spacing.
    Last edited by 3Z3VH; 03-11-2009 at 11:51 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I hope my preferred vendor gets them in stock before I make a large order.

I Are DuneCat
    I Controls The Spice
    I Controls The Universe

Cooler Master ATCS 840 | Corsair HX 520W | Asus P5Q Pro | Q9550 | HD4870 | Corsair Dominator 4GB PC8500 |
    D-Tek FuZion v2 - EK RES 150 - Swiftech MCR-220/320 - Swiftech MCW-60 - DDC 3.2 + Petra's Top

Quote Originally Posted by 3Z3VH View Post
    Hmmm... interesting... I figured when Gabe posted this that the diagram, not his text, was the correct number...

That diagram stated 18.4mm, while the SLI bridge is 18.0mm, expandable to 30.0mm.

I understand that the alignment may not be perfect, but that isn't as large a problem since I don't feel the "sandwich clips" for the fans are necessary if you use an external solution such as zip ties to hold the sandwich together. It would have been nice to see the "Stack Radiator" designed so the screws can simply pass all the way through the finned portion so you can just pass a screw through the entire rad and fans, and into the other rad.

Edit: Also, Gabe... would it be possible to have a "Serial Stack" radiator made ?

What I mean is... the regular MCR if you look directly at it, has a V-shape between the two barbs... if you simply designed the top of the Stacking radiator so one barb is moved to the center of that V, you could stack these in a serial configuration without worrying about fitting compatibility or clearance, or using special fan shrouds to gain enough spacing.
    Great info, thanks for that! If that post you referenced is correct, then the SLI fittings you linked to would work perfectly. I'd order them right now, but then I would have to take the whole thing apart, install the SLI fittings, then try and re-use the snap rivets. Shoot... if I had enough extra rivets I'd do it for sure. That is definitely a MUCH better solution to joining the rads together than tubing.

Xtreme Batrachian
    With all due respect to your business vision Gabe, IMHO, if the product does take off (and I really don't see a reason why it shouldn't... it is a really good idea) providing pre-cut tubing might not be the best option.

As you already provide with those stubby fittings (which do have a cost attached to them), and you've already said that you are not properly tooled to do so (which means, atm is a blank canvas), and considering that tubing is a perishable item, it might be worth looking into making something like the BitsPower D-Plugs.

I'm sure a designs that fits both 25 and 37 mm fan spacing is possible (Koolance does it with the RAM fittings, so does BitsPower with the D-Plugs, using a slightly different solution), it's a permanent fixture (only the O-Rings are perishable, and those are really easy/cheap to source), and a much more elegant solution.

And saves you the headache of researching the automated tube cutting tool and the investment on such contraption.

As I said, just a suggestion. There might be hidden obstacles that I fail to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MrToad View Post
    With all due respect to your business vision Gabe, IMHO, if the product does take off (and I really don't see a reason why it shouldn't... it is a really good idea) providing pre-cut tubing might not be the best option.

As you already provide with those stubby fittings (which do have a cost attached to them), and you've already said that you are not properly tooled to do so (which means, atm is a blank canvas), and considering that tubing is a perishable item, it might be worth looking into making something like the BitsPower D-Plugs.

I'm sure a designs that fits both 25 and 37 mm fan spacing is possible (Koolance does it with the RAM fittings, so does BitsPower with the D-Plugs, using a slightly different solution), it's a permanent fixture (only the O-Rings are perishable, and those are really easy/cheap to source), and a much more elegant solution.

And saves you the headache of researching the automated tube cutting tool and the investment on such contraption.

As I said, just a suggestion. There might be hidden obstacles that I fail to see.
    One of the obstacles is the QC on the rads themselves (as mentioned earlier in this thread) which would mean the fittings might not line up 100% if they were hard mounted as opposed to tubing.
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
    One of the obstacles is the QC on the rads themselves (as mentioned earlier in this thread) which would mean the fittings might not line up 100% if they were hard mounted as opposed to tubing.
    Hmmm... that's a bummer. I'm used to 1/10 mm tolerances. Sometimes I forget not everything is manufactured to that standard

Oh well, nvm
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast