Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: gamma ray blast spotted from 12.2 billion light years away

Xtreme Cruncher
    lightyears are indeed a measure of distance, but since you cant take a meter stick and measure the distance between such an event we have to rely on something that gives us a verifiable constant.

thus we can ascertain great distances when using the speed of light because of how far it travels. given the doppler effect coefficient(s) we are able to guesstimate how far away this event is. but its only a snapshot in time, at a later time it will have changed.

given the nature of using lightyears as a measure of distance comes with the added knowledge of the time it occurred. we are only seeing it now because the light took ~12 billion years to get to us. so in essence, its both how far away it was 12 billion years ago, in addition to it being 12 billion years old of data.
    for the glory of bardob!

c[_]
    science vs religion baiting posts deleted.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollo View Post
    over 9000!

wwhoa.... crazy power levels
    Sorry couldnt resist the Vegeta cat..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9000cat.jpg 
Views:	2359 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	95236  
    Lian-Li V1000B || i5 2500k || Gigabyte P67-UD4 || 4GB Dominator 1600s || eVGA GTX 570 || 60GB OCZ Vertex || Corsair HX850

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    If you ask me the age of the galaxy is pure bullcrap. How did they calculate that?
    On earth you can calculate by measuring ground layers for example. I don't see how looking through a telescope gives you a valid measurement. Off course some Einstein dude has a big long answer to it, but I'm way to skeptical to be convinced.
    Once you have a velocity of a galaxy and its acceleration rate you can "easily" go back in time.

It's not so hard as you might think.

Move to Wamps anyone?

/dev/zero
    Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    the blast was stronger than 9,000 supernovae

Alien boy not listening to the warnings of his mum... "Don't put the Continuum Transfunctioner into the microwave!".
    Xtremesystems.org
    i7-4820K * ryba 2-stager + 1-stager * EVGA X79 Dark * 32G Team Xtreem 2666C11 * EVGA GTX 680 SC Sig. * Intel G2 80G * Corsair HX1000 * Lian Li PC-70B * Watercool Heatkiller, EK Fullcover/Backplate for GTX, MCP355 Dual Setup@Koolance RP-402X2, PA120.3+Alphacool 360, Tubing 16/10.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marauder16 View Post
    yes, it happened aprox. 12.2billion years ago, and the universe exists what 15billion years.
    So if we are still around in +1.75 billion years or so then we might get to see the Big Bang right?
    Last edited by MnM; 02-21-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post
    Well I've got to ask, if you don't beleive in physics and the scientifically proven way of recording distance of stars, then what do you beleive in?
    I believe in science, but I don't believe there's an accurate way of predicting the age.

Once you have a velocity of a galaxy and its acceleration rate you can "easily" go back in time.

It's not so hard as you might think
    Go back to where? There will be no starting point for a reference. Also, there's just way to many variables in space to say that one galaxy has been at a constant rate of acceleration for x amount of years.
    Last edited by freeloader; 02-21-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    I believe in science, but I don't believe there's an accurate way of predicting the age.

Go back to where? There will be no starting point for a reference. Also, there's just way to many variables in space to say that one galaxy has been at a constant rate of acceleration for x amount of years.
    ^^^ See... no disrespect, but the method of measureing stars distance and speed, time, place is well founded for decades. And just gets even more accurate by the year.

Whether you believe or not... well I can't change that. But I know it works and I know it can be cross proven from several ways.

To say you don't believe is too simple an answer.

Xtreme Cruncher
    betcha it was two good old boys drag racing their starships...that's just the glow from their con-fusion reactors
    20 Logs on the fire for WCG: i7 920@2.8 X3220@3.0 X3220@2.4 E8400@4.05 E6600@2.4

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    ^^^ See... no disrespect, but the method of measureing stars distance and speed, time, place is well founded for decades. And just gets even more accurate by the year.

Whether you believe or not... well I can't change that. But I know it works and I know it can be cross proven from several ways.

To say you don't believe is too simple an answer.
    When they try to figure these things out, sure they can say, "this galaxy is traveling at xxxx mph", but how can you actually go back in time and trace that galaxy's path? It could've collided with several galaxies on it's journey and either sped up or slowed down, thus the speed is not constant nor consistent. And let's not forget about the effect of gravity from neighbouring galaxies. I believe the universe is billions of years old, but how old, that's anyones' guess.

Perhaps if I was a scientist, I could try to explain this "theory" in some sort of scientific way, but I'm no rocket scientist!

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=666
    Last edited by freeloader; 02-21-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Go back to where?
    The theory of big bang states that there was an initial point of creation... That's where.

There will be no starting point for a reference. Also, there's just way to many variables in space to say that one galaxy has been at a constant rate of acceleration for x amount of years.
    Of course that there's too many variables. But *if* you ignore them, or only apply the significant ones, you can come up with a reasonable estimate of creation.

Depending on how accurate you want to be, you can also assume that a galaxy has been receding for most of its age, given that just after the big bang the universe was rapidly expanding.

When they try to figure these things out, sure they can say, "this galaxy is traveling at xxxx mph", but how can you actually go back in time and trace that galaxy's path? It could've collided with several galaxies on it's journey and either sped up or slowed down, thus the speed is not constant nor consistent. And let's not forget about the effect of gravity from neighbouring galaxies. I believe the universe is billions of years old, but how old, that's anyones' guess.
    And if it did collide, we'd see the effects of it...

How old is a guess to the nearest billion. We know the science of radiation now for a long time. We know how cool the background radiation is and we know how long it has taken to get that cold. Gravitational effect of other galaxies? Sure thats easy. If you can see a galaxy, you can see the other that might have a grav. effect on it. They won't be THAT far apart.

Engineering The Xtreme

Perhaps if I was a scientist, I could try to explain this "theory" in some sort of scientific way, but I'm no rocket scientist!

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=666
    If the theory works out right its not possible fore galaxies to collide....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by krogen View Post
    The theory of big bang states that there was an initial point of creation... That's where.

Of course that there's too many variables. But *if* you ignore them, or only apply the significant ones, you can come up with a reasonable estimate of creation.

Depending on how accurate you want to be, you can also assume that a galaxy has been receding for most of its age, given that just after the big bang the universe was rapidly expanding.
    Have we even found that point? For me, I'd like the accuracy to be within 2 billion years, give or take a billion!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    But we know galaxies do collide.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020411.html

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=354

Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    Gallaxies do collide. And it works for the theory.

Xtreme Addict
    Have we even found that point?
    There was no original point, that is a common misconception about the big bang.
    http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=...2005-03&page=2

Engineering The Xtreme
    thanks for the link about the galaxies colliding, I forgot to consider supermassive gravitational attraction when I was thinking about it

Have we even found that point? :
    What point?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    Still doesnt make sense to me.

Being able to calculate velocity does not necessarily mean it gives you position.
    I think these scientists just make this up
    They throw a load of astronomical equations out there which too most is just like "Oh yeah for sure i get it", and hope no one comes along and s on their theory which usually does become the case weather it be tomorrow or 100 years from now, they go what the hell were you thinking this is what it means then another 100 years later the same crap again... Lets just say , it was really far away a long time ago , I'd be more ept to buy that than 12.2 billion light years and all the other bull they throw out there.. Just my 2 cents but hey who am I...

Intel i7 2600K 5.0ghz
    Asus P8P67 EVO B3
    Swiftek Apex Ultra Cooling Kit
    Apogee XTL Block
    8 gigs Mushkin 2133 HS DDR3
    (2)PNY Nvidia 570 GTX DDR5 SLI Goodness
    Xonar DX1 Dolby Audio
    120GB RevoDrive SSD -WD Raptr150 + SG 750 x2 +Hitacchi 2TB
    Thermaltake Speedo Advanced Ed
    Corsair 1200AX PSU

Quote Originally Posted by viccan View Post
    I think these scientists just make this up
    They throw a load of astronomical equations out there which too most is just like "Oh yeah for sure i get it", and hope no one comes along and s on their theory which usually does become the case weather it be tomorrow or 100 years from now, they go what the hell were you thinking this is what it means then another 100 years later the same crap again... Lets just say , it was really far away a long time ago , I'd be more ept to buy that than 12.2 billion light years and all the other bull they throw out there.. Just my 2 cents but hey who am I...
    Yaaa. Those pesky scientists. They should be out on the farm shovellin' for their bread... none of this space shenanigans!

Xtreme Addict
    What point?
    The point at which the big bang occurred. If it's even possible to know where.

Banned
    Yaaa. Those pesky scientists. They should be out on the farm shovellin' for their bread... none of this space shenanigans!
    haaaaa ha haaaaaa lmao..... this thread is propper funny....

i love anything to do with space.... its just intriguing....

anyone with the slightest amount of interest should watch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TlfZ...eature=related

also....

Scientists have created a gigantic machine to recreate the Big Bang which created time and space more than 14bn years ago

The Large Hadron Collider(how much fun would you have with one of these ) - based at Europe's particle physics laboratory in Switzerland - will attempt, for the first time, to discover the particles at the very heart of the atom.

Experts hope that could lead to all sorts of other revelations - from the existence of dark matter to new dimensions.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM
    exciting.....
    Last edited by purecain; 02-21-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Haha red wire, blue wire?

RED WIRE, BLUE WIRE?

-snip-

Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.25G 24/7
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    EVGA nForce 790i FTW (THANKS VINCE!!)
    CoolerMaster Stacket 830 SE
    ULTRA ChillTEC
    OCZ SLI-Ready DDR3 2000mhz EPP 2.0
    Saitek Eclipse II
    Razer Deathadder
    Sceptre 24in