Thread: Rampage 2 Extreme "Probe it" verses Bios" need your input

Rampage 2 Extreme "Probe it" verses Bios" need your input

Hi folks, just thought I'd share some info in regards to the huge voltage discrepancies from what my voltmeter/Probe it is telling me and the Bios..I will upload the picts as follows

also there seems to be some confusion about what is what....on the motherboard, first "Probe it" slot says..DRAM...thats all.. I am assuming that means the "DRAM BUS" in the Bios( I am using the latest Bios version 1104)

Ok.......

1) DRAM

Bios= 1.65V
    Voltmeter=1.43V

2) DRAM/QPI
    Bios = 1.5 V
    Voltmeter = 1.27 V

3) CPU
    Bios =1.4 V
    Voltmeter = 1.18 V

These are huge variances, especially when it comes to touchy issues about whether the QPI/DRAM to DRAM ratio is within Intel specs

Hmmm it wants an URL for the images..so I am sorry I don't have a URL..so I can't post any images

Anyhow, any thoughts...anyone do their own diagnostic and see the same diffeerences?

Your help and input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Hermes
    Build

Asus Rampage 2 Extreme
    Intel Core i7 920
    Corsair 1600, 6 gig Tri Channel
    Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme 1366/push pull config
    Corsair HX 1000
    Antec 1200
    EVGA 8800 Ultras x2 SLI
    WD Black 640 Gig
    Supreme FX X-Fi 11
    Razor Lachesis Blue
    TrueDirect DVD/CD

4.2Ghz /1.45V
    RAM/1603 Mhz /1.65
    Temps on air/ 36C Idle/45C load, room temp 23C

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanasatake View Post
    Hi folks, just thought I'd share some info in regards to the huge voltage discrepancies from what my voltmeter/Probe it is telling me and the Bios..I will upload the picts as follows

also there seems to be some confusion about what is what....on the motherboard, first "Probe it" slot says..DRAM...thats all.. I am assuming that means the "DRAM BUS" in the Bios( I am using the latest Bios version 1104)

Ok.......

1) DRAM

Bios= 1.65V
    Voltmeter=1.43V

2) DRAM/QPI
    Bios = 1.5 V
    Voltmeter = 1.27 V

3) CPU
    Bios =1.4 V
    Voltmeter = 1.18 V

These are huge variances, especially when it comes to touchy issues about whether the QPI/DRAM to DRAM ratio is within Intel specs

Hmmm it wants an URL for the images..so I am sorry I don't have a URL..so I can't post any images

Anyhow, any thoughts...anyone do their own diagnostic and see the same diffeerences?

Your help and input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Hermes
    Hey,

Well, I guess I know now who you are (Asus forums to here)

I just did all of the measurements on my board using the 1104 BIOS, and other than the QPI/DRAM being a bit lower than what it is set at (0.02V to be exact, which was not the case in previous BIOS for me), the rest of the actual measured voltages are all within < 0.01V of what they are set in the BIOS.

It makes me wonder if you maybe have one of the old design boards that had some severe voltage droop problems as reported in one of the early reviews of the R2E by HardOCP.

In any case, I would say that this is likely not an issue that affects most people. If you want more info from others, please post in the UnOfficial R2E Thread here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=210275.