Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OCZ Vertex preview: Interesting results!

Xtreme Enthusiast

OCZ Vertex preview: Interesting results!

The new OCZ Vertex solid state drive is one of the most impressive SSDs we have tested to date. I know that there is much excitement in the hardware community about this drive and for good reason: it uses a brand new controller from a brand new company and as such performance was an unknown. Many in the community have been billing it as the first true competitor to Intel's X25-M line of mainstream MLC drives and it indeed lives up to that status.
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=670

i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz/Maximus IV Extreme
    2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866
    HD5870 1GB PCS+/OCZ Vertex 120GB +
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Corsair HX850/HAF 932/Acer GD235HZ
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Sennheiser PC-350 + Corsair SP2500

Xtreme Member
    I just wonder how much faster it would be in every day sort of usage than a Raptor 150GB drive. ( i just don't trust these benchmarks that much. ).

Would it be super noticeable? IF i booted windows with my 150Gig Raptor in 30 seconds would the OS load in 15 Seconds with a Vertex SSD?

Xtreme Cruncher
    finally, review out for the vertex. although they should also alsobench the 30gb vertex since it's a little slower than its 120gb big brother, and most people will get the 30gb or 60gb anyways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Random writes drop the Vertex to 20MB/s, better than what we have but still not very good at all.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Xtreme Mentor
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

disappointing. I almost jumped on the V2s and solid series, waited to see what vertex would do. glad I haven't bought any MLC yet.

the degradation is only associated with MLC, no? X25-E and other SLC immune to this problem?

Xtreme Addict
    So it turns out adding cache and changing controller was not enough to fix the write speed problems

*goes back to waiting for next gen of ssds*

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F0rr3sTT View Post
    the degradation is only associated with MLC, no? X25-E and other SLC immune to this problem?
    No, X25-E also suffers from it

Xtreme Member
    good god its every damn day with these drives.

Xtreme Member
    Over the mountains and down in the valley
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveprime View Post
    You live on the bleeding edge and sometimes you get cut.

I'm sure the Vertex is fine for a desktop or laptop. I'm on OCZ Cores here and they are fine (although I know there are some issues with them). It will take time though before SSD's are completely ripe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveprime View Post
    QFT.

it's seriously so annoying how often "new" drives come out, if they can come out with new technology this fast.. why don't they wait, and release a product that gives us what we actually want. that being good price:performance ratio.
    "fightoffyourdemons"

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef View Post
    QFT.

it's seriously so annoying how often "new" drives come out, if they can come out with new technology this fast.. why don't they wait, and release a product that gives us what we actually want. that being good price:performance ratio.
    Obviously because there are people willing to buy them now.

Xtreme Member

Unhappy

I read that article a few days ago and it completely shattered my dreams of a new SSD (I was going to use a X-25E in my new PC, but now I am not sure what I am going to do).

I am shocked people are not talking about this even more so than the JMicron controller issue. =/

Xtreme Addict
    disappointing. I almost jumped on the V2s and solid series, waited to see what vertex would do. glad I haven't bought any MLC yet.

Even FusionIO has the problem.

Xtreme Member
    All ssd's (whether slc or mlc) drop the write performance in half when the drive is full of data, because the controller has to erase some cells and then write to it again. But the read performance is not affected by this so they still leave the mechanical drives in the dust.

Xtreme Cruncher
    makes me glad i made the decision to not sell my last few VR's to fund for some SSD's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i went and purchased a core v2 and im happy with it, i use it in an ata 100 esata enclosure and it dosnt need external power just 1 usb and 1 esata (or just usb but thats slow) and im vary happy with it
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher

All SSDs suffer from it. However all SSDs would also outlive a mechnical HD by a very large margin.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Addict
    The benefits with ssd are for a desktop user really good.
    fast access, fast reads and for a bottleneck as the old drives has had, for an average user, ssd is really sweet.
    4670k 4.6ghz 1.22v watercooled CPU/GPU - Asus Z87-A - 290 1155mhz/1250mhz - Kingston Hyper Blu 8gb -crucial 128gb ssd - EyeFunity 5040x1050 120hz - CM atcs840 - Corsair 750w -sennheiser hd600 headphones - Asus essence stx - G400 and steelseries 6v2 -windows 8 Pro 64bit Best OS used - - 9500p 3dmark11 (one of the 26% that isnt confused on xtreme forums)

Xtreme Guru

Vertex is not quite what I expected.

Oh well.
    Time to start stalking Sandisk G3 series. Maybe, just maybe, Sandisk's in-house controller would deliver. At least G3s will deliver a far more sensible $/GB ratio.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Addict
    i'm so glad that i stopped waiting for new SSDs 3 months ago and went for 2 velociraptors in raid 1, great speed and incredibly reliable!
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by generics_user View Post
    i'm so glad that i stopped waiting for new SSDs 3 months ago and went for 2 velociraptors in raid 1, great speed and incredibly reliable!
    I can't understand why everyone is so concerned about the lifespan of SSDs. Even if you're writing 100 GB a day it takes friggin' long before the drive dies. As Shintai pointed out SSDs should outlive HDDs. But that depends on the controller and how good the wear-leveling is.

But I'm glad I didn't wait either and bought a Mtron Mobi (SLC). That's a new definition of speed compared to the old 2,5 inch notebook-drive...
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Member
    Does this mean that reformatting would take longer? Or faster? Would it be faster since the files are written "sequentially" one after another? I want to get a pair in raid 0, though they don't look like they really out perform my raid 0 VR's in much besides access time
    Case---------CM Cosmos (http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/...d.php?t=194812 )
    Power Supply-CM RealPower 850W
    Processor-----Intel Q6600 SLACR @ 3.6ghz 1.44v
    Motherboard--DFI x48 UT-T2R
    RAM----------G Skill Black Pi 2x2GB DDR2-900 @ 450mhz 4-3-3-6 CR1
    GPU----------Dual GTX 275 896MB (usually stock speeds)
    HDD----------Dual VelociRaptor 150GB(Raid 0) 320GB Backup
    Audio--------Razer AC-1 (On sale on woot for 50$ )
    Mouse/KB----Razer Copperhead/Logitech G15
    Watercooling: AquaComputer Cuplex HD, MCW 60's, 2x120mm Radiator, MCP655, EK Multi-Res

Nerdy Powerlifter
    There were a lot of good benchmarks, but I wanted to see some real home user environment tests in terms of loading programs, working with photoshop, etc.

When it comes down to it, does it even matter which current or nearly current drive you have as long as you have 2-4 in a raid 0 on a good card? Thats what I've begun to notice. Raid cards seem to be the answer along with a good hdd for pagefile, etc.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by xdrift0rx View Post
    Does this mean that reformatting would take longer? Or faster? Would it be faster since the files are written "sequentially" one after another? I want to get a pair in raid 0, though they don't look like they really out perform my raid 0 VR's in much besides access time
    You quickformat

But old format would still be fast. You dont see whats behind the controller.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast