Thread: Reccommended extra cooling for NF7-S 2.0?

Xtreme Member

Reccommended extra cooling for NF7-S 2.0?

At the mo I have the stock NB heatsink with a bit of ASIII on it and seem to max out at about 220Mhz. Will changing it to a Microcool Northpole cooler with the included mosfet sinks give me a bit of a boost?

Also i've noticed when I get to 220Mhz FSB that the mouse freezes which is obviously the SB overheating. What would you reccommend to use on the SB for cooling, do I need active cooling (heatsink with fan) or will a passive cooler applied with epoxy be enough?

In short, what extra cooling do you reccommend and what benefits will it give, if any, to my overclock?

EDIT - Just read an interesting post on some forum archive that says that after performing a SB Vdd mod you can reach just about whatever FSB you want, with the RAM being the only limiting factor.

Article -
    http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d/t-47244.html

Is this true then, or is the NB and SB Vdd mod the one and same thing?
    Last edited by Richdog; 11-01-2003 at 04:34 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    hey man i cant answer all that but i can tell you what i use on my NF7 rev 2 board and i can get all the way up to 492 fsb! i use the zalman jumbo cube its a passive sink but works verry well. here is a pic of my rig you can see what the zalman looks like.

later perc,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture009.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	5143  

Xtreme Member
    i just have a fan blowing on the SB seems to work well.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    8GB Corsair DDR3-1600
    MSI GTX 680
    XFX 750W Black Edition
    Corsair Carbide Air 540

Xtreme Member
    Cheers Droz, wondered when i'd see you on Xtreme. So has using that fan on the SB noticeably improved stability at high FSB's? Has it had any other positive effects?

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by Richdog
    Cheers Droz, wondered when i'd see you on Xtreme. So has using that fan on the SB noticeably improved stability at high FSB's? Has it had any other positive effects?
    if you are running it over 200fsb, you almost need sb cooling.

Open up your case, and touch the SB. I added a little sink with my side panel fan blowing on it.

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by sandman
    if you are running it over 200fsb, you almost need sb cooling.

Open up your case, and touch the SB. I added a little sink with my side panel fan blowing on it.
    when i used to run my epox 8rda i thought the same and had an avtive cooler on the sb but as you can see in the pic i posted above i havent got one yet for my abit and im running 492fsb! i havent tried to touch the sb but now that you brought it up i will just to see how hot its really getting?

peace perc,

I am Xtreme
    Found this little baby in the store.
    It's a coolermaster DXY-4C1XC and it as a 40x40mm 5k rpm fan on it and fragtape at the base.
    I think it makes a nice SB cooler.

Name:	coolermaster sb.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	5162  
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Xtreme Addict
    yeah i like that sb cooler man i think i will try and find one? i still havent gotten one for my abit yet....

peace perc,

Xtreme Member
    So thermal epoxy is enough to attach a small copper cooler? Or does it make sense just to put a dot of epoxy in each corner then use AS III in the middle?

Xtreme Relic
    I always use a drop of super glue in each corner and tgrease of choice in the middle...holds well, but pops off if need be.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005)

I did the same as the dude and it was cool although i think the supaglue i used was a bit off and the cooler randomly fell off one nite but everything was fine re-attached with better supaglue and its sweet now.
    SyNtH
    -------

Xtreme Member
    Erm, tbh, if you want a well cooled NF7, then mines has to be a good example tbh, cos there is nothing on my mobbo that gets even a bit warm, that does not have some sort of cooling.

The NB has a zalman passive with a 40mm thermaltake fan on it, the SB has a Jetway KT266 NB heatsink on it, the mosfets have chopped up thermaltake Ramsinks on them, and anything else that gets warm, has Coolermaster ramsinks on them.

Result? very stable, uptime reaching over a months, at times, running 100% load all the time (SETI). and cool even with just one 7v ys tech at the intake, and the psu with a 12v silent in it as the exhaust.

Here's a pic of my NB heatsink.

Note the use of small screws/bolts on it, to increase clamping pressure.

I used a simple digit test to figure out what needed cooling, ie, i stuck a digit (finger) on everything on the board, and anything that got warm, got cooled

Here's a pic of the rest of the mobbo, pre-zalman.

Name:	myabit.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	5231  
    Last edited by Bundles; 11-03-2003 at 11:48 PM.

"Okay, okay! I take it back. Unf*ck you!!!"

CCW
    Nice cooling My 8RDA+ is very similar with the exception of the NB, Im still using the stock cooler with stock TIM as Im only at 200FSB but with a 60mm fan mounted on top of the cooler. I have a few of those Jetway 266B coolers myself but I used a RivaTNT2 Heatsink on my SB with AS3 as the TIM and a 40mm fan mounted on top. Thermaltake heatsinks on MOSFETs, also another thing to cool is the vReg chip, a heatsink will do. The vReg chip is often just above the MOSFETs. NorthBridge chipsets for AMD systems always output more heat than Intel's due to the manufacturing process so a good TIM like AS3 on the NB and a fairly nice heatsink can help for exmaple the Zalman heatsinks. With a 60mm fan you should be fine.

Richdog, Welcome to the Xtreme and good to have more people here from the UK, there aren't many of us here.

Craig