Thread: mCubed T Balancer BigNG

barfastic

mCubed T Balancer BigNG

Ok... i need some advice... ive been looking round for a fan controller... and i just want to validate some things.

1) How many 7.2W (12V x 0.6A) fans can i connect to each of the four channels? It says up to 20W per channel (analogue) but it says Max power 20W.

according to http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_3730.html
    max. power: 80W (PWM)/20W (analogue)
    power per channel: 40W (PWM)/20W (analogue)

2) Can i connect any flowmeter i want? or do i have to use the specific mCubed one? Any suggestions on which one is best to use (least of a flowkiller)

3) Which temperature probes do you recommend i use with it? Im asking this because the ones mCubed sell are push in... and well, WTF are those anyways! i need something with a barb.

4) I am going to have 7 fans connected to it. the max i could connect per channel is 2 (considering they are rated at 7.2W each), correct?

5) I have heard people say it gets extremely hot, and will turn your pc off if it overheats (by it i mean the mCubed). So this makes mounting it near a fan necessary. But at the same time, i cant seem to visualize where you could mount it neatly when it has 10 wires coming out of it. (4 for fans, 2 for probes, 1 flowmeter, and 3 temp sensors... and lets not forget the USB connection plug...)
    If anyone has pictures of theirs mounted that would be a lifesaver and answer some of my questions.

thanks in advance, and im quite keen to hear what the users of this controller have to say.

Xtreme Member
    This is rather timely. I too am researching fan controllers. I'd like something that was a little more "automated". I'd like a set and forget solution that will in the event of a catastrophic event shut down my system.

From what I have read so far, this BP temp sensor works with it and I already have plans to install 1 in each of my loops.

Like you, I am having some significant issues finding a build log where I can see how the damn thing is installed. This is especially true if you also want to add the mini-NG to control your pumps. The Big-NG seems to have a 3.5" drive bay mountin system (I would prefer to have 5.25" drive bay mounting system as I don't actually have a 3.5" drive bay in my build). The little-NG doesn't seem to have (at least I've not seen it) some sort of mounting system.
    Black Dragon
    MM Extended Ascension - Powder Coat Black
    Core i7 920 | 12GB Corsair DDR3-1600 | eVGA x58 | 3 x eVGA GTX285 SC | 2 x 640GB WD Black in RAID 0 | TT Toughpower 1200W Modular PSU | 24" LG Monitor | Vista Ultimate x64

WC Loop 1: Swiftch MCR320 | Laing DDC w/ XSPC Res Top | Swiftech GTZ
    WC Loop 2: 2 x Swiftch MCR320 | Laing DDC w/ XSPC Res Top | BP Black Freezer NB/SB | 3 x Koolance Fullcover Waterblock

id also have a look at the aquapc one. i think its a bit more pricy, but then you get actual software instead of the mickey mouse stuff that comes with the bigng.

seriously, theyve only just got around to updating it to a new beta from years ago, its still only in german and as far as my system goes, just does not work. if id gotten round to using it sooner, i wouldve returned it, but it was shelved for a project thats taken way longer than i intended :/

Banned
    i would use a lampron baybus if you want the looks plus they look better then knobs
    but you can shut them off easily if a leak starts to occur
    but if ur into the bigNg i dont even what that at is other then that its on small pcb and controlls fans

Hamster Powered
    The Aquaero is tough to beat, nice software and a quality built piece of equipment. Just add the Multiswitch and you can go fan crazy.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by barfastic View Post
    Ok... i need some advice... ive been looking round for a fan controller... and i just want to validate some things.

1) How many 7.2W (12V x 0.6A) fans can i connect to each of the four channels? It says up to 20W per channel (analogue) but it says Max power 20W.

according to http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_3730.html
    max. power: 80W (PWM)/20W (analogue)
    power per channel: 40W (PWM)/20W (analogue)
    You just answered the first question yourself. For that kind of high RPM fans, just use the BigNG in PWM mode.. meaning you can use 2 of those noisy fans (wtf are those anyway.. deltas? lol!) per channel in PWM mode, resulting in a total of 8 usable fans. Assuming that the fan coupler you'll need to use won't melt & burn

2) Can i connect any flowmeter i want? or do i have to use the specific mCubed one? Any suggestions on which one is best to use (least of a flowkiller)
    Yes you can use any one, and they will all kill your flow

3) Which temperature probes do you recommend i use with it? Im asking this because the ones mCubed sell are push in... and well, WTF are those anyways! i need something with a barb.
    You can connect any analogue 2 pin sensor to the BigNG, plus 2 digital ones as well.

4) I am going to have 7 fans connected to it. the max i could connect per channel is 2 (considering they are rated at 7.2W each), correct?
    See above

5) I have heard people say it gets extremely hot, and will turn your pc off if it overheats (by it i mean the mCubed). So this makes mounting it near a fan necessary. But at the same time, i cant seem to visualize where you could mount it neatly when it has 10 wires coming out of it. (4 for fans, 2 for probes, 1 flowmeter, and 3 temp sensors... and lets not forget the USB connection plug...)
    If anyone has pictures of theirs mounted that would be a lifesaver and answer some of my questions.

thanks in advance, and im quite keen to hear what the users of this controller have to say.
    I use them in most WC builds I do, never had any temp issues. Then again, I never used the PWM mode, and would never use fans that draw more than 2W
    If you are going to stress it with 7x7,2W you better have its heatsink close to some airflow (shouldnt be an issue tho considering your whole rig will be like one giant hairdryer with those fans )

As for mounting, you can either use the supplied adhesive pads to mount it anywhere using the acrylic encasing, or you can mount it on a free slot bezel (looks crappy) or in a 3,5" bay. I'd recommend mounting the acrylic case to it and then stick it anyhere you like using the supplied velcro pads.

Oh and no, it wont shut down your PC if it overheats (how could it..)
    It will just fire up and extremely shrill and loud alarm and ramp all the fans up to max if its controller chip reaches critical temp.

By the way: If you are looking for decent prices on either the BigNG or the Aquaero shoot me a PM.. they really rip you off over there mate
    Last edited by jcool; 02-15-2009 at 06:09 PM.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Oh and no, it wont shut down your PC if it overheats (how could it..)
    It will just fire up and extremely shrill and loud alarm and ramp all the fans up to max if its controller chip reaches critical temp.
    From reading its installation manual, there's a wire that you connect to the motherboard power switch pins. I'm thinking there'd be no point of this if it didn't do a shutdown.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    From reading its installation manual, there's a wire that you connect to the motherboard power switch pins. I'm thinking there'd be no point of this if it didn't do a shutdown.
    My apologies, the SensorHub add on does this, not the BigNG

barfastic
    @ JCool: Thanks for all your questions... and well, my fans arent deltas. they are these Xigmatek's:
    • Speed: 1500 RPM
    • Air Pressure: 61 CFM
    • Noise Level: <20 dBA

maybe i miss calculated the W... oh its not 0.6A its 0.2A :S sorry bout that... so the W per fan is 2.4. (wow, yeah, it just made sense to me, casue my zalman can control up to 7W per channel and i have 2 on each. hehehe.... )

I cant seem to make up my mind... but the BigNG sounds too complicated... for what it does that is...

Back from the Dead
    Well the possibilities of the BigNG are pretty much unlimited, I myself don't even use a fraction of it all. I just love how you have perfect control over the fanspeeds, unlike any other fan control unit I have ever used, including the Aquaero. You can assign one or multiple temp sensors to each fan channel and then define the exact speed for each temperature step, like startup at 25C, running at 30% at 29C, running at 45% at 31C and so on.

chiguy is probably right too, if you tap the BigNG into your main power cable so it can shut the PC off it'll probably do that as well. it can also control laing pumps (which I dont use) and whatever else, I do have a few manuals lying here so I could check.. but I think it's all in english as well
    Sure the SW ain't that easy getting used to, but the usage possibilities of the BigNG surpass any and all other solutions. Question is, how much of it do you really need...
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Member
    If you like to hear my opinion, go for the BigNG. Yes, you can make a lot of complicated and impressive stuff with it, but you can also just connect your fans and sensors, configure how they should respond, and your set to go. Then, when you one day have completed all other projects and feel like getting under the skin of the BigNG, sit down and do it. It has marvelous potential!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.