Thread: Playing with a Maze 3 evap with lexan top.

Xtreme Member

Playing with a Maze 3 evap with lexan top.

Here are some really old pictures from 2003 when I converted a Maze 3 into an evap with a lexan top. Teyber said I should post them here, so I obeyed, I don't want him to hurt me!

Xtreme Mentor
    i thought this was one of the coolest things ive seen thanks for posting!
    mentally confused and prone to wandering

Xtreme Enthusiast
    WOA THATS AWESOME! What were your pressures?
    Pentium D805 @ 3.4Ghz on GA-945P-S3
    2Gb OCZ Gold 800 with XP Professional SP3
    Ati X1800XT
    550W Antec TruPower in Antec Sonata II
    Core 2 Quad Q9550 on GA-EP45-UD3P
    4Gb Corsair Dominator 1066 with Vista Ultimate SP1
    Asus 4850 TOP
    750W PC Power & Cooling in ????

There is not enough electrical oulets in my room.
    Best TF2 Quote:
    "tomtom92 : wtf the enemy has a base IN our base"

Xtreme Member
    I don't remember my pressures as this was 6 years ago, but since it was R290 I'd guess highside was less than 150 and low side in a vacuum. It started leaking though, but it was cool to watch! Here are a couple more picture I found when I had it on something else. Yeah, I was all about ghetto! Looking at some of my pictures makes me cringe!

-100c Club Member
    I think I've already seen Your photos - maybe on teampuss ?

Anyway : great experiment, really cool idea !

-150c Club Member
    Very Cool! Especially nice to see the transition from liquid to vapor.

Now if you could only find an O-Ring that wouldn't leak below -40C.

I remember many many years ago attempting to make a simple 2 stage autocascade by using 2 milled pieces of lexan sandwiched together. Even tried to mill the cappiliary's as channels directly in the plastic. Unfortunately it didn't work for very long until major leaks erupted at the extensive O-Ring seal.

I still think about the possibilities of mass producing a complete multi-stage HXC stack by some automated process similar to how plate HXC's are made. It'd sure make things a hell of a lot easier when it came time to build a unit.
    Michael St. Pierre

• Worked 15 years for Polycold Systems
    • Now Self-Employed
    • Manufacture Heat Load Controllers
    • Also do contract service work on Polycold units

Side note: I usually don't respond to PM's or emails regarding the projects that I post in the forums. I feel it's much more fair to all, to answer questions within the forum topics themselves.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    One of the Master's thesis I read about was a study on micro-channel evaps. They used a very similar evap system with a lexan plate on top and a rubber o-ring. They noted due to the extensive pressure and cold that the o-ring would deform and be unusable after one cycle(warm evap, cold evap, warm evap). Damn interesting to watch their various videos, I'll try to find it.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the responses guys, guess I should have posted these sooner!

Quote Originally Posted by piotres View Post
    I think I've already seen Your photos - maybe on teampuss ?

Anyway : great experiment, really cool idea !
    I've only showed these pictures to a few people back in the day when phase-change was getting popular, so I wouldn't know where else you would have seen them? Maybe somebody else did the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by mytekcontrols View Post
    Very Cool! Especially nice to see the transition from liquid to vapor.

Now if you could only find an O-Ring that wouldn't leak below -40C.

I remember many many years ago attempting to make a simple 2 stage autocascade by using 2 milled pieces of lexan sandwiched together. Even tried to mill the cappiliary's as channels directly in the plastic. Unfortunately it didn't work for very long until major leaks erupted at the extensive O-Ring seal.

I still think about the possibilities of mass producing a complete multi-stage HXC stack by some automated process similar to how plate HXC's are made. It'd sure make things a hell of a lot easier when it came time to build a unit.
    That sounds really cool, man you have too much fun!
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=160872
    This guy's amazing chiller has a distributor for his water chiller circuit using a lexan top and he is working with 150psi ~-20c liquid, and it hasn't leaked. I think he has found a way to do it!

I think it would be great to make a HX for a 2-stage autocascade out of lexan that is thick enough that you wouldn't get frost/condensation on the outside, that would really be interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    One of the Master's thesis I read about was a study on micro-channel evaps. They used a very similar evap system with a lexan plate on top and a rubber o-ring. They noted due to the extensive pressure and cold that the o-ring would deform and be unusable after one cycle(warm evap, cold evap, warm evap). Damn interesting to watch their various videos, I'll try to find it.
    Those videos would be nice to see, and that's definitely what happened with my evap.

-150c Club Member
    This guy's amazing chiller has a distributor for his water chiller circuit using a lexan top and he is working with 150psi ~-20c liquid, and it hasn't leaked. I think he has found a way to do it!
    The key is that his temperatures were still in the reasonable range for O-rings.

I think it would be great to make a HX for a 2-stage autocascade out of lexan that is thick enough that you wouldn't get frost/condensation on the outside, that would really be interesting to watch.
    Yep that was my idea as well, but unfortunately it didn't turn out right. It was kinda interesting to watch it fail. After about 10-15 minutes operation freezing cold liquid refrigerant started spurting out the sides.

The method I used to fabricate it was that, I had suction channels on one side, and discharge on the other side of the 2 pieces of 1" thick lexan. There was a thin sheet of stainless steel plate sandwiched between the lexan blocks with a very long and complicated O-ring laid into grooves on each piece. Of course the idea was that the suction and discharge channels would perfectly line up with each other and transfer heat through the very thin stainless steel separator plate. In theory it would have worked, aside from the inherent O-ring problem.
    Michael St. Pierre

• Now Self-Employed

Side note: I usually don't respond to PM's or emails regarding the projects that I post in the forums. I feel it's much more fair to all, to answer questions within the forum topics themselves.

Xtreme Member
    The key is that his temperatures were still in the reasonable range for O-rings.

Yep that was my idea as well, but unfortunately it didn't turn out right. It was kinda interesting to watch it fail. After about 10-15 minutes operation freezing cold liquid refrigerant started spurting out the sides.

The method I used to fabricate it was that, I had suction channels on one side, and discharge on the other side of the 2 pieces of 1" thick lexan. There was a thin sheet of stainless steel plate sandwiched between the lexan blocks with a very long and complicated O-ring laid into grooves on each piece. Of course the idea was that the suction and discharge channels would perfectly line up with each other and transfer heat through the very thin stainless steel separator plate. In theory it would have worked, aside from the inherent O-ring problem.
    Yeah, that would have been really cool!

His system isn't as cold most single stage units dedicated to cooling a cpu only, but the thing that surprised me about his system isn't just the low temperature, but he high pressure along with low temperature since his pump delivers 150psi head pressure. It was surprising to see the o-ring handle it even at only -20c or so. If the o-ring can handle even -20c it might be interesting to make a higher temperature low pressure system using r-134a with a lexan topped evap just to see exactly how everything reacts with a load. I can just see the lighted see-through evaps now!

-100c Club Member

Mytek, maybe You have some photos from this experiment ? I guess everybody trully want to see it ...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piotres View Post
    Mytek, maybe You have some photos from this experiment ? I guess everybody trully want to see it ...
    I'll second that!

-150c Club Member
    Photos? I wish I did, but that was at least 20 years ago, and I'd be lucky to still have any notes from that time (which I don't).

Sorry
    Michael St. Pierre

• Now Self-Employed

Xtreme Legend
    Teflon based seals could help with the Oring problem, at least as long as different thermal expansion rates of Lexan and Copper wont chew the oring away.

-100C Club Member
    nice work there the liquid flooding the evap looks nice
    Last edited by kayl; 02-19-2009 at 05:16 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Holy thread revival batman, I know... But I found a interesting video on my harddisk, which I wanted to share with you guys

Some of you may have seen it before, it's a video of refrigerant in a Maze 3
    (not made by me, I just happened to find it on my harddisk):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr7V3D2g8_0

Administrator
    Hey Jack

That is very interesting. Thanks for finding that video

Xtreme Mentor
    great post thanks for the revival! sweet vid!
    mentally confused and prone to wandering

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    That is an awesome video and worth a thread revival