Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coolit Boreas - trying to carry on where CornerJack left off

Xtreme Member
    I just wanted to say I am very interested in all you are doing. I have a E8600 at 4.5Ghz. I would guess if I used this Boreas it would run much cooler than your i7.
    Haswell, Maxwell, MLC

My HeatWare 77-0-0

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    I just wanted to say I am very interested in all you are doing. I have a E8600 at 4.5Ghz. I would guess if I used this Boreas it would run much cooler than your i7.
    Yes, 2 threads and at only 1.36v - you would need to be careful that you did not set the Boreas too low and get condensation.
    Go no lower than ~20C and you would be fine.
    If you insulated your board as if you where going to phase then the sky is the limit!

Xtreme Member
    Just had a thought....

What about using a swiftech thermo-electric cpu block?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/55...ocket_775.html

better or worse?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
    Just had a thought....

better or worse?
    In at least one way, worse. The coolit design prevents condesation from occuring so you don't have to insulate your mobo socket. The swiftech model will go sub-ambient during idle CPU times.
    Haswell, Maxwell, MLC

My HeatWare 77-0-0

Xtreme Member
    Also it's direct die meaning you can only cool one thing instead of possibly your whole loop.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
    Just had a thought....

better or worse?
    Neat looking little block!
    If I am reading the data right, I think you need to keep the thermal load under 200W or so, image below from -
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/im...ocket_775.html

I think most oc'd i7s are 200+
    When at 4.3 ht on and cpuv at 1.55 cpuv - the 965 thermal load is about 290W, see - http://extreme.outervision.com/tools.jsp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z.jpg 
Views:	1002 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	95966  
    Last edited by SteveRo; 03-07-2009 at 02:51 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I would think that the already chilled water would increase the cooling capacity of the boreas. So, if 200W's is the max for the thermal cpu block, this would be added by the already chilled water coming from the boreas, thus increasing said max.... though I am just guessing and don't really know what I'm talking about.

I would think that it would be 200w max by itself since it is the only thing cooling the hot cpu. What if it had help? That doesn't increase that max cooling capacity signficantly? I would then think you could use that pelt block on a "low" setting to reduce the risk of condensation, but still have it working enough to aid the boreas. Just an idea

Also, I don't think condensation would be too much of an issue unless you can't control the cooling capacity of the pelt block because these quads would heat up the inside nicely, even under idle (with a good overclock though).
    Last edited by Breathless; 03-07-2009 at 07:38 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The cooling of the swiftech mcw6500-T is determined by the operating point ie the input power - at 12v allowing for heat transfer inefficiencies it can do 160-180w max. That's it....putting chilled water water through it or doing any manner of other things won't change the heatpump.

Xtreme Member
    If you did that, the Boreas would be cooling the heat dump of the Swiftech peltier, not the CPU itself.
    Haswell, Maxwell, MLC

My HeatWare 77-0-0

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    If you did that, the Boreas would be cooling the heat dump of the Swiftech peltier, not the CPU itself.
    Actually no I am wrong...applying chilled water to the hotside of the MCW6500-t will will change the heatpump slightly...for the better but not enough to make any marked difference.

and yes your right it would be cooling the heat dump.

but going through the mcw6500-t then to the boreas would not very good because the the heat given off by the TEC in the swify will be the heatpumped from the CPU plus (heatpumped from CPU times 40-45%) due to the heat generated by the TEC itself.
    Last edited by zipdogso; 03-07-2009 at 12:16 PM.

cool

Hey Guys,

Great thread, love what you are doing with our Boreas!

I will make a concious effort to dedicate more time to the XS forums because I honestly love the explorations you guys get into.

I have also promised the XS team guys a boreas of their own to test but alas have not delivered yet.. they are probably slandering me somewhere haha.

ps. whether or not the swfitech block will work better on our setup will depend on what TEC they used. My hunch is that it will not be able to move the heat from an OC'd chip at 290W across its surface area as it will need to consume nearly that much power itself to pump the heat. My .02

pss. who is going to take on the flow rate myth hmm?

Cheers,

Barry @ CoolIT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrolde View Post
    ps. whether or not the swfitech block will work better on our setup will depend on what TEC they used. My hunch is that it will not be able to move the heat from an OC'd chip at 290W across its surface area as it will need to consume nearly that much power itself to pump the heat. My .02
    I presume with the wattages your stating your talking about the new 7000 swiftech unit if GABE is to be believed that will be one monster unit, and as you say it will requiring some hardcore cooling just for itself. I and others have a hunch though that it won't be the stellar TEC that it's made out to be.

Xtreme Member
    Plus my take on the swiftech block was in reference to using a GTZ in lieu of your waterblock; aka "CPU FHE".
    Haswell, Maxwell, MLC

My HeatWare 77-0-0

It would be very intresting to see how this works with a Primochill Typhoon III. As it would solve the tiny tubing problem.

Xtreme Member
    Im going to be replacing my 480GTX setup with a Boreas soon, just waiting for Koolance QDC's and other stuff.
    Going to run my current loop with the Boreas and see how much worse my temps get, I just wanted something
    new to play with. Already gutted the Boreas, going to use a D5 & EK top, Koolance CPU350, XSPC NB block, XSPC 4870X2 Razor with 3/8" tubing.
    2600k, Asrock Z77E-itx, 8gig, 256g mSata, 670GTX, 450W SFX = powering a 27" ACD.

I am Xtreme
    Can't wait to see your results

Xtreme Member
    hewi,, Dont get to much flow or your temp are going to suffer with a Boreas..
    Asus Rampage II
    Core I7 920 O/C 3.8
    Mushkin 6gig 7-8-7
    ATI 4870X2
    PCP Turbocool 860
    Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24
    Koolance CPU-350 AC
    FSR 360
    pa 120.2

Xtreme Member
    And I thought the too much flow with a TEC setup mystery was killed already.
    Have seen many posts of ppl arguing about this, and most conclude that they get better temps with higher flow. Ofcourse you need to find a good compromise with pump speed & heat output. I'll get to test this myself next week now that I have all my parts gathered
    2600k, Asrock Z77E-itx, 8gig, 256g mSata, 670GTX, 450W SFX = powering a 27" ACD.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by hewi View Post
    And I thought the too much flow with a TEC setup mystery was killed already.
    Have seen many posts of ppl arguing about this, and most conclude that they get better temps with higher flow. Ofcourse you need to find a good compromise with pump speed & heat output. I'll get to test this myself next week now that I have all my parts gathered
    I have used all different flows - one boreas, now two boreas in series - I never saw a difference in performance due to flow - not a scientific experiment - just my personal experience.

Xtreme Member
    Not much to tell, ripped the 480GTX from my system and just simply plugged the Boreas in with some Koolance QDC's.
    Have to say im very pleasantly suprised about the unit, i've seen so many ppl bashing it for being a waste of money & time.
    I have to agree that most pl should go with high end water rather than a Boreas, but for it's size it's a cooling beast.
    I can keep my whole system under 40c under heavy load via OCCT stressing & gaming and that's on pair with the GTX setup.
    I still need to tidy up the whole install and do more testing, pictures etc. But in short, it's a very capable unit for it's "small" size.

Xtreme Member
    Mr. threadjacker here, didn't want to put up a whole new thread about my
    Boreas endeavours. Still being lazy about testing the unit, just being gaming since it cools pretty much on par with my previous watercooling. I need to make a few modifications to get the Boreas working with my case, but im hesitating on cutting up my beloved V-2000

I am Xtreme
    That is a nice looking rig!

Administrator
    Oh man that is a purdy nice looking rig there, great job !!

Xtreme Mentor
    how did you turn your psu upside down =(!!? flip the backplate so psu is up top but the fan must be pulling air from the metal plate?! does psu get hot or is it ok?
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Addict
    Damn these are pricey arent they ? I was thinking about using one on a 5870 to help clocks but stuff that now (unless someone has a used one to sell)
    Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast