Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: 4+1 vs. 8+2(8+1) Phase Power Design

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erek View Post
    we ever find some real 8 phase designs yet? i know this isn't strictly amd related...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLO-vYjJN-I
    Thanks for that post, it was a little over my head at times but also very informative.

I purchased the ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)\
    and it sure looks like the same phase set up as the ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI AC)

So the 370 and the 390 has the same phase set-up, that is something i need to find out more about and see what 390 board has the best VRM/phase setup.
    being an Intel guy.

I have to say, just by watching that I have a better understanding of what is going on under the hood to my cpu and other components...

thanks....
    Last edited by systemviper; 11-04-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: More synapse growing every minute
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Xtreme Member
    this one is a real 8-phase

X399 Zenith Extreme Edition

https://youtu.be/iYpKKR6SJBk

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by systemviper View Post
    Thanks for that post, it was a little over my head at times but also very informative.

I purchased the ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)\
    and it sure looks like the same phase set up as the ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI AC)

So the 370 and the 390 has the same phase set-up, that is something i need to find out more about and see what 390 board has the best VRM/phase setup.
    being an Intel guy.

I have to say, just by watching that I have a better understanding of what is going on under the hood to my cpu and other components...

thanks....
    is this a real 16-Phase or 4x4 or 2x8? doublers involved?

"Glancing the rear of the power delivery, there does look to be at least 14 power stages, with given the pedigree and status of EVGA's Dark series models, it could easily be a 16-phase monster."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16821...-dark-edition-

It should be an IR 14+2 like the z490 and z590. They use doublers, but the IR controller can see through the doublers and the intersil doublers can load balance so I would not worry about it from EVGA or on this quality of board.

Intersil has a real 16 phase that works on AMD, but I dont see why they would use it when the 14+2 IR controller they use on everything else is fine with the capacitors mattering more and they could cut the chokes to 200 nanoH for a faster VRM.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 07-18-2021 at 03:47 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    It should be an IR 14+2 like the z490 and z590. They use doublers, but the IR controller can see through the doublers and the intersil doublers can load balance so I would not worry about it from EVGA or on this quality of board.

Intersil has a real 16 phase that works on AMD, but I dont see why they would use it when the 14+2 IR controller they use on everything else is fine with the capacitors mattering more and they could cut the chokes to 200 nanoH for a faster VRM.
    Just happened upon this video today, seems relevant to this thread:

"Motherboard manufacturers have been lying about VRM phase counts for years." From Buildzoid :

https://youtu.be/HN2T7v45qkk

After watching that I feel personally responsible, and wish I would have known exactly how a VRM works.

Like buildzoid said, the number of components and their quality is what matters, so if you have everyone using similar 40-70A IR power stages the one with 14 will be better than the 10. We also dont really see enough power consumption to need that so things like bios and trace quality matter more.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    I always wounder this and still confused how the board manufacture trying to not fully give details about the vrm.
    [FSB<>BCLK]
    3930k@4.3Ghz 1.30v HT On 24/7 Full load Linx stable/Lapped~Strix 6600xt~970evo~Gt110
    R4Gene Modded Bios~Corsair 2x8Gb@2.4Ghz 1.65v C11~AX1200i
    SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by xpower View Post
    I always wounder this and still confused how the board manufacture trying to not fully give details about the vrm.
    I think there isn't any value giving full details. It's just marketing. I'd rather know max spec & heat dissipation - then you could determine if the VRM is over sized or undersized relative to competition.

All that matters with VRM is that it provides enough clean power...

You could use 1 phase or 30 phases I don't care if you accomplish the goal of providing good clean power.

Example if you could pick between the two following boards:

Option 1: 4 Phase 400A SPEC/ Big Caps /Big Mosfets/ Great cooling
    Option 2: 8 Phase 250A Spec/ Cheap caps/ cheap mosfets/ no cooling

Which option would be a more robust platform? If you change the amount of switches or phases it doesnt change the specs at all.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345