Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft to open own stores, take on rivals Apple and Sony

Post Microsoft to open own stores, take on rivals Apple and Sony

Microsoft to open own stores, take on rivals Apple and Sony

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...e_N.htm?csp=34

SEATTLE (Reuters) — Microsoft announced plans Thursday to open its own chain of branded stores as it looks to catch up with rival Apple's successful move into retailing.
    The world's largest software company, which also makes the Xbox video game console and the Zune digital music player, did not say how many stores it was looking to open, or when, or which of its products would be on sale.

That is to be decided by David Porter, a former DreamWorks Animation executive, which Microsoft named as its new vice president of retail stores.

Turner, a former Wal-Mart Stores manager, will report to Microsoft chief operating officer Kevin Turner.

The long-rumored move to open stores comes as consumer spending is under severe pressure due to the recession, which has already pushed electronics chain Circuit City into bankruptcy. A similar attempt by computer maker Gateway to open its own stores some years ago was not successful.

Microsoft, bruised by the poor reception of its latest Vista operating system, is facing increased competition from Apple, which is eating into the personal computer market and dominates the personal digital music player market with its iPod line.

Apple's stylish stores, now numbering more than 200 worldwide, have been crucial in attracting customers in recent years.
    Last edited by Soulburner; 02-15-2009 at 10:11 AM.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Member
    And... what computers will they show off?

If they're smart they'll partner with some boutique lines so they have some actual computers to show and not just a Zune.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Apple is different, they have a whole bunch of products. So M$ will just sell Xboxes and Zunes? LOL
    CPU: INTEL Q9550 E0 @ 3600 1.28V + CORSAIR H50
    GPU: EVGA GTX 480 @ 725/1450/3800
    PPU: EVGA 9800GTX @ 738/1836/2250
    MB: ASUS P5E X38
    RAM: MUSHKIN 2X2GB
    SOUND: X-FI TITANIUM FATAL1TY | LOGITECH Z-5500 | LOGITECH G35
    HDD: WD 76GB X 2 RAPTORS RAID 0 10KRPM | WD 1TB CAVIAR BLACK 32MB STORAGE
    PSU: CORSAIR HX1000W PSU
    MON: HANNSPREE 28" 1920X1200 RESOLUTION

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    They'll sell Xboxs, Zunes, and I imagine Vista-ready PCs. Something really cool would be Microsoft building their own computers that work flawlessly with Windows. Basically take the Apple model of closed-platform OS and hardware and but leave it possible for anyone to install Windows on x86 processors. Partner with somebody like Dell and release two or three PC lines, a workstation, a desktop, and a laptop.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    They'll sell Xboxs, Zunes, and I imagine Vista-ready PCs. Something really cool would be Microsoft building their own computers that work flawlessly with Windows. Basically take the Apple model of closed-platform OS and hardware and but leave it possible for anyone to install Windows on x86 processors. Partner with somebody like Dell and release two or three PC lines, a workstation, a desktop, and a laptop.
    this seems to me to be the most likely (and most profitable) course for mightysoft. they'll probably coincide the opening of the first store with the launch of windows 7.

maybe they'll even develope a netbook or htpc based on the ion... that might give job's mob something to think about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Good call Chris, but I still see this as a little absurd

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I'm not sure I would ever buy anything from a Microsoft store, but I'm a geek so bring it on. I love looking at PC hardware and Games.

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Xtreme Cruncher
    I suspect they will fall flat on their face...
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
    I'm not sure I would ever buy anything from a Microsoft store, but I'm a geek so bring it on. I love looking at PC hardware and Games.
    what makes you so quick to decide you wouldnt buy a microsoft product? you didnt even see what they had to offer yet lol, am i feeling a distaste in microsoft?
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Mentor
    Well look at Nintendo stores. They sell nothing but consoles and games and nothing else. MS can turn their store into a giant promotion/selling center.
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

Banned
    Will they paint the walls blue so a BSOD doesn't stand out so much?

Xtreme CCIE
    I'm skeptical about the potential for success, but at the same time I hope it works out. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the product line rolls out and how the stores are marketed.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    And... what computers will they show off?

If they're smart they'll partner with some boutique lines so they have some actual computers to show and not just a Zune.
    Sony maybe
    afterall they are the biggest rival to Apple in PC world design wise hehehehe

joking ofcourse heh
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Quote Originally Posted by Nanometer View Post
    am i feeling a distaste in microsoft?
    What? a distaste for M$ on a PC site? No way, I don't buy it....

They will do well so long as they let you play Xbox 360, listen to music on the zunes and browse the net on the computers. Why do you think people go into the Apple store? Its not to buy anything. Most people are just there to play with the toys. And the xbox360 is a very fun toy.

Xtreme Addict
    Selling Zunes and Xbox 360s, as well as accessories for both is a good start.

If they start selling decently priced Vista and Windows 7 PCs (maybe sell partner's PCs like Dell, HP, etc) that could also take up some shelf space.

Even in an economic downturn like this, people still will buy cheap PCs.

I do think Microsoft will need to offer an incentive over other retail stores if they want to be successful with this.

Quote Originally Posted by eleeter View Post
    Will they paint the walls blue so a BSOD doesn't stand out so much?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Banned
    If Apple is smart (and they are) they will hire a bunch of "I'm a PC" look-alikes to hang around the Microsoft stores.

I don't think this is a good move by Microsoft, they are trying to clone Apple's retail store success and I don't like their chances. On the plus side, when your Xbox360 goes red rings on you it could be convenient.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eleeter View Post
    If Apple is smart (and they are) they will hire a bunch of "I'm a PC" look-alikes to hang around the Microsoft stores.

I don't think this is a good move by Microsoft, they are trying to clone Apple's retail store success and I don't like their chances. On the plus side, when your Xbox360 goes red rings on you it could be convenient.
    They tried to clone Sony's success in the game market, now the 360 is the leading hardcore gamer platform, and the Ps3 as become a running joke (and a great Blu Ray player).

I have Apple products, and Microsoft products, but some of these lame jokes need to stop.

BSOD, RROD? Do you guys live in the past? Do you go outside? RROD hasn't been a big issues since Microsoft's third version of the 360 hardware. I have yer to get a BSOD while running Vista.

I think it's time for people to make up some new jokes.

Also, if Apple was smart, they wouldn't hire "PC-guys" to hang around Micorsoft stores. Paying stereotypes to loiter in a competitors store is a great way to get sued if your plan gets leaked.
    Last edited by AndrewL1950; 02-12-2009 at 11:43 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL1950 View Post
    Lighten up a bit. I like Microsoft, just taking cheap shots because I can, and MS is wildly rich and suspenseful they can handle it.

I remain unconvinced that MS can make a retail store a success.

Xtreme Mentor
    I think it's just a front so they can promote their online app store...
    That's the real cash cow!
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Addict
    I suspect the main focus of the microsoft stores will be the xbox 360 and games /accessoires for it.

People don't buy a new os often enough to justify a retail store that sells mostly os's and as far as the zune goes, well, atleast in europe you would not even admit having one (or any mp3 player except for the ipod) as doing so would destroy any social standing you might have and I doubt it's much better in the us.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    I suspect the main focus of the microsoft stores will be the xbox 360 and games /accessoires for it.

People don't buy a new os often enough to justify a retail store that sells mostly os's and as far as the zune goes, well, atleast in europe you would not even admit having one (or any mp3 player except for the ipod) as doing so would destroy any social standing you might have and I doubt it's much better in the us.
    i could careless about the ipod. no one i know cares what mp3 player people have. they are all pretty much the same no matter how many features one might have they all play songs the same.
    asrock z77 extreme6
    G.SKILL Sniper F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR
    asus 5870
    wd 1tb black
    Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post

the ipod is way too overrated. a lot of my friends own ipods and were f-ing proud of it ("hey look, i got an ipod!"). then i came with my 130€ meizu m6, enabled some very neat features of the integrated DSP and all of them went like "[emo-mode]oww, man, the sound of that thing is amazing compared to my ipod =([/emo-mode]".

and it really is. hands down, the sound quality of the ipods is horrible. the most important thing about a mp3 player for me is sound quality.

but now let's get back to topic:
    i think ms really has some chances with such stores. someone already mentioned that people visit apple stores not to buy things but to see them, play with them and get a clue of how they look & feel.
    that's probably the main point of ms' plan as well: promote their products and convince people of how good their products are.

ms got the money, they got the marketing and they also have a good product portfolio. so why not?
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL1950 View Post
    RROD? Do you guys live in the past? Do you go outside? RROD hasn't been a big issues since Microsoft's third version of the 360 hardware.
    Sorry, RROD is still an issue, even for Elite owners.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast