Xtreme Cruncher
    Lol, microsoft store. Wonder where they got that idea

Q9300 [Crunch] / XFX GTX285 [Fold] / EVGA 750i
    Two 250GB 7200 / 4GB XMS2 800 / 1Kw XPS PSU / Freezer Pro 7
    10,797 3DMark Vantage / Scythe 120mm Case fans / Vista U. 64
    PS3 - 700 Work Units and going strong!, XPS 720 H2C Case
    Crunching 24/7 on Q9300....might upgrade to an i7

I am Xtreme
    This is off topic, but what bit rate do you need to make a digital recording indistinguishable from analog.

Here's why. Let's say that I'm old enough to remember when CD's first came out (hypothetically speaking you understand ). I didn't like CD's because the sound was way too 'crisp'. I don't know how else to put it. I just sounded like it didn't have the same depth. I don't know what that translates to - complex harmonics maybe? But I would rather listen to my scratchy, dynamically compressed vinyl than a CD. It was great for electronica and such, but for acoustic instruments it just didn't cut it.

Xtreme Addict
    i don't mind Microsoft if they reduce their product prices by 50%

Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post
    This is off topic, but what bit rate do you need to make a digital recording indistinguishable from analog.

Here's why. Let's say that I'm old enough to remember when CD's first came out (hypothetically speaking you understand ). I didn't like CD's because the sound was way too 'crisp'. I don't know how else to put it. I just sounded like it didn't have the same depth. I don't know what that translates to - complex harmonics maybe? But I would rather listen to my scratchy, dynamically compressed vinyl than a CD. It was great for electronica and such, but for acoustic instruments it just didn't cut it.
    In those links I provided there is information suggesting that a LAME VBR MP3 will be indistinguishable from the original file over 200kbps. Now for those who don't know about VBR and are about to knock a "puny" 200k MP3, don't confuse this with a 200kbps MP3. There are still passages in this file that will run up to 320k. It's a variable bit rate, and you only see the average. Some quiet parts may be 160kbps, and highly demanding parts 320k. That is the magic of VBR.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    i don't mind Microsoft if they reduce their product prices by 50%
    By that Logic Adobe should cut theirs as well. Microsoft develops an entire full-featured operating system and sells it for $200. Adobe makes an app that only lets you create and edit images and sells it for $600. Make any sense?
    Last edited by Soulburner; 02-16-2009 at 05:22 AM.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    In those links I provided there is information suggesting that a LAME VBR MP3 will be indistinguishable from the original file over 200kbps. Now for those who don't know about VBR and are about to knock a "puny" 200k MP3, don't confuse this with a 200kbps MP3. There are still passages in this file that will run up to 320k. It's a variable bit rate, and you only see the average. Some quiet parts may be 160kbps, and highly demanding parts 320k. That is the magic of VBR.
    So I assume that means that a 320kbps recording will be indistinguishable from an analog master recording - correct? But how is that possible when uncompressed cd audio is at least 1400kbps? I've never checked, but it seems that if you're getting 60-70% compression that you should be able to sense the difference even if you can't say exactly what it is.

Plus, if the width of the data is only 16 bits, then you only have 1024 frequencies. That doesn't seem like a lot, but I don't know. Is that really the most we can distinguish? Our hearing range supposedly goes up to 22khz so it seems odd that we could only hear 1024 frequencies.

These are probably stupid observations and I'm not trying to argue - just understand.

Because the compressed data is outside the range a normal human ear can hear, or most headphones can reproduce. You pretty much guessed it.

Note I say "normal" and "most" so I don't get any golden ear freaks jumping on me.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Because the compressed data is outside the range a normal human ear can hear, or most headphones can reproduce. You pretty much guessed it.

Note I say "normal" and "most" so I don't get any golden ear freaks jumping on me.
    For what its worth, my dad has tested DVD-A and SACD in the studio vs. CD-A and there is a noteable difference when played through professional equipment and you are listening to non pop/rock music. It is most noticeable on classical, jazz and blues, and other misc. music where the music is not sound compressed to hell and back and mastered to oblivion.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer View Post
    For what its worth, my dad has tested DVD-A and SACD in the studio vs. CD-A and there is a noteable difference when played through professional equipment and you are listening to non pop/rock music. It is most noticeable on classical, jazz and blues, and other misc. music where the music is not sound compressed to hell and back and mastered to oblivion.
    *cough*death magnetic*cough*
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

I am Xtreme
    Wow, Metallica is still around? Maybe there really is a T-virus.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah they are, but their new album has terrible sound quality. Just constant clipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...ACDCc1I&fmt=18

But somehow the Guitar Hero 3 version came out fine...
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    *cough*death magnetic*cough*
    Unforgiven III FTW.. But FWIW, that had a an orchestra.

there is more to sound than what u hear, u cant hear everything on a sub but u can feel it, and in inaudible tones can change the way that audible sound

Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post

its imposable to get an analogue sound out of a digital means, the closest thing that i can think of is tube amps, u can get all of the digital amplification and simulation that u want but they sound different.

ontopic-
    the sony metrion store is dead in a few months maybe MS will take its spot they used to have store 2 blocks down from there at the dev office in SF
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123