To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    well this looks like the max for now

http://valid.canardpc.com:80/show_oc.php?id=506108

Hax... Hax I tell you!!! :p

Friggin good OC as is. A little bit more time and you can probably squeeze some more out of it. Keep us in the loop.
    Primary rig:
    e5200 @3.875 (12.5x310) / Gigabyte EP45-UD3R / Sapphire 4830 @720/940 / OCZ Platinum 2GB DDR2-1100 /
    Water cooled- CPU: Fuzion v1 / Laing D4 / Bonnieville Heatercore + MCR120

For sale: AMD 4200+ Toledo / ASROCK DUAL SATAII

Brilliant Idiot
    still havent dropped HT/NB, thats usually good for another 100-200mhz.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliverda View Post
    It's not a big issue for the majority. I haven't used more than two modules since my 386 DX. I think they will fix this issue in the C3 stepping.

Anyway similar or worse issue exists on DDR2-1066 since the first Phenom B2 stepping.

Even so, I've never experienced this issue on my machine.
    go i didnt know this at all, this is exactly the problem i have been seeing i my rig, i knew it was a memory error, but memtest showed nothing.

i dont just get hangs, i get a hang then i get a blue screen

at least a fix is on the way

Brilliant Idiot
    2 hours prime stable, currently running 3.8 prime test, sorry takes time, once I jot down all my stable speeds I will get to benching.
    It's scaling almost identical voltage wise to pass prime as my week 48 940 BE

Last edited by chew*; 02-12-2009 at 09:27 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtremely Kool
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliverda View Post
    It's not a big issue for the majority. I haven't used more than two modules since my 386 DX. I think they will fix this issue in the C3 stepping.

Anyway similar or worse issue exists on DDR2-1066 since the first Phenom B2 stepping.

Even so, I've never experienced this issue on my machine.
    Never had that problem on my DFI MR2, Phenom 1 & 2.
    But had that problem on the K9A2 Platinum & Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe
    Last edited by Final8ty; 02-12-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Brilliant Idiot
    identical scaling to my 940, I will try higher + tweaked tommorow.

Dumo I know you are curious so I ran 05, haven't run it yet with 4850's in X fire, so no clue what to expect, untweaked preety dirty run, stuff in background etc etc.

Off to bed now, my finger needs to heal for saturdays DI session.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Addict
    2 hours prime stable, currently running 3.8 prime test, sorry takes time, once I jot down all my stable speeds I will get to benching.
    It's scaling almost identical voltage wise to pass prime as my week 49 940 BE

Awesome, what temps is it priming at.. 3.8 at 1.440 is excellent!

Also have you tried playing with the bus speed and multi, i ve seen some decent results where both were changed, system more stable with the bus at like 230 ish and lower multi.. but your the expert atm
    Last edited by villa1n; 02-12-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: afterthought.
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by kg4icg View Post
    now you just have to contend with this issue
    http://www.techpowerup.com/84955/Phe...333_Issue.html
    Oh dear, here comes the flood of 'my god it's full of bugs' and all sorts of things blown out of proportion.

CPUs have bugs, they are very rare and only in certain cases have those bugs been serious enough to warrant a change in product roll out or PR for a company. Intel suffered this with the famous FDIV bug and the 1.13 GHz Pentium III fiasco. AMD recently suffered from this with the TLB errata...

However, those cases are rare and does not mean bugs do not exist. AMD's AM3 socket is new, expect some minor quirks until BIOS tweaking/tuning/debugging addresses most of them, and in cases where BIOS cannot address the issue the rate of occurrence is likely such a rarity you will never see it... case in point the stupid whoopla on the TLB errata that is utterly a non-issue on DTs.

Jack
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by villa1n View Post
    Awesome, what temps is it priming at.. 3.8 at 1.440 is excellent!

Also have you tried playing with the bus speed and multi, i ve seen some decent results where both were changed, system more stable with the bus at like 230 ish and lower multi.. but your the expert atm
    Just chasing max stable core clock speeds atm with nothing else to cause issues, I will tweak it tommorow. that was 3.6 at 1.44, needs 1.55-1.575 for 3800+, this board requires more voltage than most though, 4 phase pwm.

This board tends to be a little flakey plus I need bus 267 for my ram to be 1066 or its pointless. That makes multi jumps rather awkward, 133.5 mhz per 1/2 multi, also hinders tweaking HT/NB speeds.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    well this looks like the max for now

http://valid.canardpc.com:80/show_oc.php?id=506108

Wow, thats very impressive

XIP
    All dress up, but still waiting for cpu

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    All dress up, but still waiting for cpu

I'm awaiting your thoughts/opinions on that board, shipper needs to get you a cpu quick........No unlocked cpu though?
    heatware chew*

XIP
    I'm thinking to cross the border to pick up 945ES, but have to work Sat. am

If it based on M4A79D performance with 940 then this mobo should be one of the best, especially with its power stability.

Xtreme 3D Team
    The 710 and 720 have been on newegg for 3 days, so if you guys want one...
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    The 710 and 720 have been on newegg for 3 days, so if you guys want one...
    Yeah I ordered mine the morning they were posted but they couldn't be bothered to ship mine until today.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iandh View Post
    Yeah I ordered mine the morning they were posted but they couldn't be bothered to ship mine until today.
    That's odd, I thought you ordered yours earlier in the day than I did. Mine was shipped yesterday. I didn't pay to "rush" it either... I've found that's a waste, I always had to call and ask for a refund (which they gave me because it didn't ship till the next day or sometimes two days later )

At anyrate, mine will be here on Tuesday.
    Phenom II 720 X3 at 222x16 unlocked quad / lapped AC Freezer64 / Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P / Corsair XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600MHz / OCZ Vertex 60GB, 74GB Raptor, Seagate 7200.10 250GB / 2x Sapphire 6850 in Crossfire / Coolermaster Mystique / OCZ 700W

Brilliant Idiot
    Time for more extensive results, bear with me the first tests I'm trying to get an idea of what I should expect under DI tommorow.

I seem to have a NB issue not sure if bios related, I'm not using higher because I get a post code error 00 with anything over 2200.....not by choice.

according to hardware bot these scores are spot on if not a tad faster at the same speed.

Last edited by chew*; 02-13-2009 at 08:12 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Addict
    Time for more extensive results, bear with me the first tests I'm trying to get an idea of what I should expect under DI tommorow.

I seem to have a NB issue not sure if bios related, I'm not using higher because I get a post code error 00 with anything over 2200.....not by choice.

according to hardware bot these scores are spot on if not a tad faster at the same speed. .

The 920's were binned with much weaker NB than the 940's. most 920's dont want to go past 2200 or so with 1.35v without errors.

It sounds like the 720's may have the same low Binned NB of the 920's. If thats true I wonder what they might be saving the Higher binned NB/tri cores for.
    Last edited by G0ldBr1ck; 02-13-2009 at 07:52 PM.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    The 920's were binned with much weaker NB than the 940's. most 920's dont want to go past 2200 or so with 1.35v without errors.

It sounds like the 720's may have the same low Binned NB of the 920's.
    I don't think that the case this time, I have this same issue over 2800nb with the 940, I think its a combination of bios and the board being a GX. With F2 bios I could push NB preety hard.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Addict
    one things for sure, The 720 is going to appeal to allot of enthusiast and gamers at this price. Performing like a good Intel Dual core + an extra thread makes it almost as good as a quad for gaming and most desktop apps.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    one things for sure, The 720 is going to appeal to allot of enthusiast and gamers at this price. Performing like a good Intel Dual core + an extra thread makes it almost as good as a quad for gaming and most desktop apps.
    Its an awsome budget chip, definitely gets my vote. very fun to play with.

My ISP must be in fits right now, my webspace is getting hammered with views from all the screenshots

Preety cold out right now what say we try to take down the current air record for 720 BE
    heatware chew*

Brilliant Idiot
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi345 View Post
    That's odd, I thought you ordered yours earlier in the day than I did. Mine was shipped yesterday. I didn't pay to "rush" it either... I've found that's a waste, I always had to call and ask for a refund (which they gave me because it didn't ship till the next day or sometimes two days later )

At anyrate, mine will be here on Tuesday.
    Yeah I ordered mine within 30 min of it appearing on neweg (yes I was checking newegg every 30 min)

They do this crap to me every time I really need a package, and every time I don't need it they never fail to get it to me next day.

(sorry for thread crapping with my whining chew)
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

XIP
    I don't think that the case this time, I have this same issue over 2800nb with the 940, I think its a combination of bios and the board being a GX. With F2 bios I could push NB preety hard.
    that 720 definitely hit NB 3.3Ghz with 790X am3 board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast