View Poll Results: Aluminium or Steel

Voters
562. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aluminium

471 83.81%
  • Steel

91 16.19%
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of my "water cooling" case design?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick64 View Post
    I think price would depend heavily on materials. Aluminium is going to be much more expensive than steal. Would you prefer a high priced aluminium case or a lower priced steal one?
    steel...cause with all the wc gear inside it, its gonna be heavy no matter what, so might as well save some cash and put that towards some wc gear
    ASUS P8Z68V-PRO
    2500k 4.7ghz
    2X4Gb Ballistix Tactical Tracers
    Diamond HD6950 (unlocked) 2gb
    Enermax REVOLUTION 1050W
    Vertex 2 60Gb & Samsung F3 1TB

Xtreme Cable Management Freak
    my thoughts exactly. it would cost alot less. and plus your not moving your case around every 5 minutes anyway. and if you are, i suggest you stop doing that.
    Project: HeadShot
    Intel i7 3770k | Corsair H100
    EVGA GTX-590 Classified | XSPC GTX 590 Waterblock
    Gigabyte G1.Sniper 2 MotherBoard | Swiftech MCR-320 Res/Rad/Pump
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Ram
    Crucial M4 128GB / Intel X25-M 160GB / WD 1TB Black
    Corsair AX850W PSU
    27" Apple Cinema Display (2560x1440)
    Corsair 600t White
    Picture

You best be Crunching and Folding/GPUgrid'ing!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Plus with black powder coating it will look the sex , mick i think i will have to come vist

Xtreme Member
    This thing looks great. It seems to be the perfect watercooling case. I also think it should be made from steel to keep the cost down.

Engineering The Xtreme
    aluminum because it is not cheap and your gonna kick yourself in the pants for not using aluminum when you try to pick it up off the workbench. Also ALU is cheaper and easier to waterjet.

you could make this case out of plastic and it wouldn't be cheap to make, its gonna be expensive because its custom so you might as well do it right the first time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @Mick64+This case design looks awesome! Is the front intake fan 120mm or 92mm? I kinda hate 80mm intake/exhaust fans. I personally think you should go aluminum, personally I would never buy steel again. Have you checked out WiNDY/House of Sloldam cases? Some people are willing to spend $500 or so including shipping on those cases and some of those MM and Silverstone cases aren't cheap either.

I think you should at least look into production costs, even though you are Uk based I would still be interested (I get huge int'l shipping discounts so i don't take quite the hit on shipping). I'm have an extremely difficult time deciding on a case myself right now grrr. Great work!
    SOGOs > BOGOs

Xtreme Addict
    I think price would depend heavily on materials. Aluminium is going to be much more expensive than steel. Would you prefer a high priced aluminium case or a lower priced steel one?
    Dunno, how about steel frame for stability and rest alu to keep weight down?

Anyway, where do I line up for preorder?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_king View Post
    @Mick64+This case design looks awesome! Is the front intake fan 120mm or 92mm? I kinda hate 80mm intake/exhaust fans. I personally think you should go aluminum, personally I would never buy steel again. Have you checked out WiNDY/House of Sloldam cases? Some people are willing to spend $500 or so including shipping on those cases and some of those MM and Silverstone cases aren't cheap either.

I think you should at least look into production costs, even though you are Uk based I would still be interested (I get huge int'l shipping discounts so i don't take quite the hit on shipping). I'm have an extremely difficult time deciding on a case myself right now grrr. Great work!
    Thanks mountain. The intake and exhaust fans are 120mm. Anything smaller is too noisy IMO. As the feedback I'm getting is very good, and there are several people that would buy it if it were available, I will see if I can get made. I haven't got the facilities myself, so I will have to see if one of the case manufacturers would be interested. Alternatively, I will have to raise my own funds and get a sheet metal fabricator to make some up for me to sell. Of cause, this option depends on how much I can get them made for and how much I can sell them for.
    System :- Gunmetal Antec P182 : Antec Quattro 850 : Asus P5E Deluxe : Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 4004MHz (8.5 x 471 FSB) 1.4 volts (VID: 1.3v) : 8Gb 1100 OCZ Gold XTC @ 942MHz 2.0 volts (5-5-5-15) : Gainward GTX 570 GS GLH (GPU: 800MHz, Shader: 1600MHz, Memory: 2000MHz) : 1x 128Gb Crucial RealSSD + Asus U3S6 (OS) : 1x 1Tb & 2x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints (Storage) : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Cooling : 4x Sharkoon Eagle 2000's (Case) : 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (R120-T rad) : 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (RS 240 rad in push-pull) : Akasa Fan Control Pro : Stepped Aquacomputer Cuplex XT di : EK FC5X0 GTX GW - Nickel (GTX 570) : Swiftech MCP355 : 1x XSPC R120-T : 1x XSPC RS 240 : XSPC Bay Reservoir : XSPC 1/2" Tubing : Blue Feser One Coolant

Check out my water-cooling case design:- Here & Here
    Find SketchUp Computer Components Here
    Download my case design SketchUp files from Here

I'd be willing to buy one, depending on the price.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks mountain. The intake and exhaust fans are 120mm. Anything smaller is too noisy IMO. As the feedback I'm getting is very good, and there are several people that would buy it if it were available, I will see if I can get made. I haven't got the facilities myself, so I will have to see if one of the case manufacturers would be interested. Alternatively, I will have to raise my own funds and get a sheet metal fabricator to make some up for me to sell. Of cause, this option depends on how much I can get them made for and how much I can sell them for.
    Thanks for the answer. If you can keep it at or around $300 - $350, +shipping etc. I'd be game. Before you submit your design you may want to patent/protect your design before letting a case company take a gander. it kinda reminds me of a MM tower, but I like this design better so far.
    SOGOs > BOGOs

I'll buy one if you can get it in the $80-100 range. It looks pretty sweet.
    E8400 SLAPL 420x9 @ 1.3v (1.375 bios)
    Gigabye UD3P Rev 1.0 F7 Bios
    Crucial Ballistix 2x1gb DDR2 PC8500
    Seasonic M12 700W Modular
    EVGA 8800GT
    Antec 900
    36x2gb Raptor RAID 0
    WD 640gb Black

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotrey View Post
    I'll buy one if you can get it in the $80-100 range. It looks pretty sweet.
    I'm sure it will be more than that.

This case looks great, I really hope you are able to get it built. I can definitely see people buying this case for water cooling over a lot of the current favorites. Hell, maybe even give a case manufacturer a call and ask em to buy the design from you!

damnit, this is exactly what i need.... i can't find a case, and when i saw the pic in your avatar, i thought i had finally found the case i was looking for.... its pretty sweet looking.
    Smallbox:
    CPU: C2D 1.87Ghz Merom (mobile)
    Mem: 2Gb OCZ value
    Mobo: MSI 965GM Fuzzy ITX
    PSU: PicoPSU DC/DC 120watt
    DVD: Mata (completely garbage)
    HDD: WD 640
    Case: I dunno, but its small 4"x7.5"x11" (HxWxD)

Banned
    Hey. I clicked the link to read this thread. After seeing the first few posts roll in, I downloaded Google SketchUp and knocked This up in an hour or so. Thanks for the inspiration to spend some time encouraging my artistic side lol.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here's another look at my design. Changed the position of the switches and ports, and added the side panels. Let me know what you think....

System :- Gunmetal Antec P182 : Antec Quattro 850 : Asus P5E Deluxe : Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 4004MHz (8.5 x 471 FSB) 1.4 volts (VID: 1.3v) : 8Gb 1100 OCZ Gold XTC @ 942MHz 2.0 volts (5-5-5-15) : Gainward GTX 570 GS GLH (GPU: 800MHz, Shader: 1600MHz, Memory: 2000MHz) : 1x 128Gb Crucial RealSSD + Asus U3S6 (OS) : 1x 1Tb & 2x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints (Storage) : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Cooling : 4x Sharkoon Eagle 2000's (Case) : 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (R120-T rad) : 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (RS 240 rad in push-pull) : Akasa Fan Control Pro : Stepped Aquacomputer Cuplex XT di : EK FC5X0 GTX GW - Nickel (GTX 570) : Swiftech MCP355 : 1x XSPC R120-T : 1x XSPC RS 240 : XSPC Bay Reservoir : XSPC 1/2" Tubing : Blue Feser One Coolant

Xtreme Enthusiast
    top notch, add mounts for monsta and the other rad rails, instead of holes for fans do the whole thing as a line so you can mount any size rad from any manufacture

Xtreme Member
    It doesn't really matter if its Aluminum or Steel, its a design. It's not real and he's not going to be able to build it. It would take a completely different set of skills to fabricate the case the whats needed to design it. Getting someone to do the fab work for one of the design would be cost prohibitive because it would require all the work to be done by hand. At the prevailing wage for such work your looking at around $1000 for the case based on getting the job done in ten hours and I really don't think it could be done in 10. To mass produce it would require millions and then you also run into copyright infringment problems. Silverstone claiming it looks to much like one of their cases, Lian Li claiming the hard drive cage is theirs.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner133 View Post
    It doesn't really matter if its Aluminum or Steel, its a design. It's not real and he's not going to be able to build it. It would take a completely different set of skills to fabricate the case the whats needed to design it. Getting someone to do the fab work for one of the design would be cost prohibitive because it would require all the work to be done by hand. At the prevailing wage for such work your looking at around $1000 for the case based on getting the job done in ten hours and I really don't think it could be done in 10. To mass produce it would require millions and then you also run into copyright infringment problems. Silverstone claiming it looks to much like one of their cases, Lian Li claiming the hard drive cage is theirs.
    Ah, maybe so. But I still think he should at least look into it. If I listened to doubters in my life I would not be in as good a position as I am today. You never know, he could make good money by just selling off the design! I still think its good work all the same.
    SOGOs > BOGOs

Xtreme Member
    Please extend the middle section.

reasons:

- I don't want my bottom video card that close to my power supply.... it would essentially be touching it, and forbids the use of bottom exit of full-coverage blocks on that slot, which forbids tri-fire.

- I would like to see 2 fans in front, 2 fans in back, its the norm nowadays and would be the icing on the cake for this case

- I generally just like some room around the mobo. As it is, it would be pretty tight around the mobo.

I'll buy one! I'd pay around $200 to $250 for such a case.

I also agree that the rad mounting should be universal so any rads can be used.

Also I can't tell how much room is behind the mobo tray, but if you make it about an inch, I could kiss you. It seems like every case out there is just a little shy of behind-the-mobo space for wiring.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bentleya View Post
    top notch, add mounts for monsta and the other rad rails, instead of holes for fans do the whole thing as a line so you can mount any size rad from any manufacture
    Most 120mm rads have standard spacing; I think it's only the Thermochill rad that is different? But it wouldn't be a problem to slot the holes to accommodate any 120mm type rad. Of cause, there is the issue of 140mm rads coming on to the market, which would mean increasing the size of the case by another 40mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner133 View Post
    You are correct, it would take different skills to fabricate this case, but that doesn't mean to say that I don't have these skills. What is the problem is that I don't have the facilities. However, if I can show a company that this would be a popular design, I may be able to convince them to add this case to their line up, or I may be able to convince a fabrication company to produce a small number of cases, which bring the price down. I don't think there would be an issue with copyright infringement, as it doesn't look like any other case on the market, and the hard drive cage, well I must admit, I did download this from the SketchUp website, but I could quite easily design my own!

Quote Originally Posted by mountain_king View Post
    Ah, maybe so. But I still think he should at least look into it. If I listened to doubters in my life I would not be in as good a position as I am today. You never know, he could make good money by just selling off the design! I still think its good work all the same.
    Thanks for your thoughts mountain, and I totaly agree....

Quote Originally Posted by vinister View Post
    Please extend the middle section.

reasons:

- I don't want my bottom video card that close to my power supply.... it would essentially be touching it, and forbids the use of bottom exit of full-coverage blocks on that slot, which forbids tri-fire.

- I would like to see 2 fans in front, 2 fans in back, its the norm nowadays and would be the icing on the cake for this case

- I generally just like some room around the mobo. As it is, it would be pretty tight around the mobo.

I'll buy one! I'd pay around $200 to $250 for such a case.

I also agree that the rad mounting should be universal so any rads can be used.

Also I can't tell how much room is behind the mobo tray, but if you make it about an inch, I could kiss you. It seems like every case out there is just a little shy of behind-the-mobo space for wiring.
    Thanks for you input vinister. I don't think there would be much of problem with a third vga card as there would still be space between the card and the bottom panel, also there would be a gap between the PSU and the bottom panel, so there would be plenty of air flow and extending the middle section would mean increasing the size of an already large case. I don't agree about the 2 fans front and rear, one this would take up more space and two with a water cooled system, most of the heat is dissipated by the rads so there is less heat build up within the case. Rads I've already mentioned, price who knows, and space behind the mobo for wiring should be adequate.

Xtreme Member
    The design is OK. I would position the hard drive cage longitudinally for excellent cooling.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tile View Post
    The design is OK. I would position the hard drive cage longitudinally for excellent cooling.
    I just think it's a matter of taste. IMO it doesn't matter which way the cage is mounted as the slots in the side of the cage will allow plenty of air flow. Personally I would prefer the cage mounted as show so that the cables can be routed at the back of the case....
    Last edited by Mick64; 02-16-2009 at 01:28 PM.

the case looks sweet! and i like the hard drives mounted the way they are, hides wires better. Any way keep it up and i would buy one to if you could keep it under $500

Banned
    The overall design is quite good, i like it, but im no expert. If it were to go into production, you might even consider doing a non-wc version, for mainstream users.

Also, from a superficial point of view. You might consider putting some glam on the front panel? Theres heaps of crappy LianLi cases out there with really plain fronts, be a bit different, put a bit of chunkiness here or there. Maybe even put a second panel full of USB/Firewire ports, or a built-in LCD or something. as it stands, its just a normal case with lots of room for wc, not that theres anything wrong with that.

gj though, better than anything i could do XD : http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=218122

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What are the dimensions?
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast