View Poll Results: Aluminium or Steel

Voters
562. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aluminium

471 83.81%
  • Steel

91 16.19%
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of my "water cooling" case design?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vinister View Post
    I'd rather see it made out of composite material, some kind of very strong plastic, with aluminum sides. But thats just me.
    That is actually a very good idea if he was doing it in composite he wouldn't need to patent it and barely modify it, since it wouldn't be like anything on the market and it could be produce by injection molding adding carbon to the composite and all the holes could be perforated after the injection with a hole dye.

It would actually cost about the same but would greatly speed the rate of production and if he was to do so, since the cost of the dye moldings is somewhat costly he would need to produce a few thousand of unit at a cost of 350 + or -. I could see thousands of people buying it.

I would buy it in a heart beat.

Xtreme Mentor
    I honestly don't think it looks anything like a lian li or silverstone.
    Looks quite unique actually.
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Xtreme Cable Management Freak
    id buy one, and id get all my friends to aswell. its a VERY nice case!
    Project: HeadShot
    Intel i7 3770k | Corsair H100
    EVGA GTX-590 Classified | XSPC GTX 590 Waterblock
    Gigabyte G1.Sniper 2 MotherBoard | Swiftech MCR-320 Res/Rad/Pump
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Ram
    Crucial M4 128GB / Intel X25-M 160GB / WD 1TB Black
    Corsair AX850W PSU
    27" Apple Cinema Display (2560x1440)
    Corsair 600t White
    Picture

You best be Crunching and Folding/GPUgrid'ing!

I Like it a lot, Its big enough for water cooling and everything seems to be in a good place.. The onlything I would do different is switch the two rads.. just my 2 cents..

anybody want this case to take in a HWlabs 560gtx and 420gtx?
    i like them both at the bottom

Xtreme Enthusiast
    About the only thing this case has in common with the TJ07 is the front rounded corners. What Lian Li case is this one suppose to look like? I just wish SilverStone or another manufacture would build something close to this design.
    | Intel Core i7-2600K | ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 | G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 | EVGA GTS 450 |
    | Swiftech APOGEE Drive II CPU Waterblock with Integrated Pump | XSPC RX360 | Swiftech MCP655-B Pump | XSPC Dual 5.25in. Bay Reservoir |
    | Thermaltake 850W PSU | NZXT SWITCH 810 | Windows 7 64-bit |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A lot of people seem to forget this is a conceptual reder to address layout and function of the case, not a technical engineering drawing showing every bolt and weld. Also, the exterior at this point is largely irrelevant with the exception of the vents, fan holes, and mounting plates. The rest can look like anything it wants to, so any similarity with any other case that could possibly cause worry for copyright infringement, could be changed when it goes to engineering designs.

At this point I see nothing wrong with the case. It looks to be superb !

Now, get this to an engineering shop to give you a structurally sound, and manufacturable state, and I will be one of the first in line to buy one. Excellent job Mick64 !

Xtreme Addict
    Silverstone TJ-11 maybe ? Id buy one if it was made, Might add a front door just cause i like front doors on cases to hide the bays.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    As far as a front door goes, I would just prefer he made this case as more of a frame, that could have any of a variety of panels mounted on the front and sides to change the look as the customer sees fit.

Great job on the case design!!

Xtreme Member
    Love the design I like everything about it!! I've been doing my own drawings on something very similar it's nice to see I'm not the only one dissatisfied with current case offerings especially for water cooling. Who really wants to hang a rad off the back with the PSU GPU and Case fan blowing hot air right into it or on the top of the case when that's where all the hot air needs to escape. That's why I like my STC CM Stacker with rad installed in bottom of case but pushing hot air into the case is still a compromise. I especially like the separate compartments perfect solution to avoid heat exchange this is what I dream of over and over again. Simply fantastic I want one!! and steel is fine by me.

I'm a free hand drawer and like to dream lately though my ideas have shifted toward the new Sliverstone Raven design with the i/o at the top of the case. Seem to me a this is a fantastic solution and with separate compartments at the bottom for water cooling and front for HDD's, I think you'd have something just different/efficient/effective/and attractive enough as to attract a major manufacturer unless you want to do it on your own. Mountain Mods did it. Bottom line you'd have to produce substantial results that put the other offerings to shame and I believe you'd have a shot doing so by getting the heat out da box like your doing here. The only thing I would change is a separate compartment for HDD's too with side to side air flow similar to your WC solution. This would eliminate all high heat producing components from sharing that heat produced by the mobo.

My basic Idea for the perfect case:
    5 compartments
    1-top hinged access w/240mm above i/o (completely vented) down scooped at rear for cable mgmt.
    2- main mobo/optical with CM style blower
    (with the mobo orientated i/o up top the blower to the right would blow right on RAM and PWM area nicely)
    ( I see enough room to the left for two EK tube style res. fill at top access to PSU/WC compartment Btm)
    3- HDD 5 min. w/side to side air flow front case access so side pnl can stay in place for R&R quick connect not necessary but for one of the drives would be nice.
    4- PSU/WC entire bottom
    5- Control panel on/off/reset usb esata fan temp and lighting control all integrated

Side panel 240mm fan and clear view mobo compartment only

All within a 12 bay case size scale.
    2bay I/O and Ctrl Compartments
    3bay Optical
    4bay HDD
    3bay PSU/WC

Oh well a guy can dream hugh?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thought you guys might like to know that I've had some interest in my case from a popular case manufacturer. Lets hope things go a little further.....
    System :- Gunmetal Antec P182 : Antec Quattro 850 : Asus P5E Deluxe : Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 4004MHz (8.5 x 471 FSB) 1.4 volts (VID: 1.3v) : 8Gb 1100 OCZ Gold XTC @ 942MHz 2.0 volts (5-5-5-15) : Gainward GTX 570 GS GLH (GPU: 800MHz, Shader: 1600MHz, Memory: 2000MHz) : 1x 128Gb Crucial RealSSD + Asus U3S6 (OS) : 1x 1Tb & 2x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints (Storage) : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Cooling : 4x Sharkoon Eagle 2000's (Case) : 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (R120-T rad) : 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (RS 240 rad in push-pull) : Akasa Fan Control Pro : Stepped Aquacomputer Cuplex XT di : EK FC5X0 GTX GW - Nickel (GTX 570) : Swiftech MCP355 : 1x XSPC R120-T : 1x XSPC RS 240 : XSPC Bay Reservoir : XSPC 1/2" Tubing : Blue Feser One Coolant

Check out my water-cooling case design:- Here & Here
    Find SketchUp Computer Components Here
    Download my case design SketchUp files from Here

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by owcraftsman View Post
    I'm a free hand drawer and like to dream lately though my ideas have shifted toward the new Sliverstone Raven design with the i/o at the top of the case. ...
    After having seen the Raven a month or so ago, then seeing this case, I was thinking it would be awfully neato to reduce the top radiator space to a 360 (instead of its current 480 size), then rotate the motherboard 90 degrees so the cables come out the back of the top cavity... this gives you plenty of room to plug and unplug the cables, keeps them from looking ugly in the back of the case, and you haven't hurt the case's cooling potential all that much, since you only lost 120mm of radiator, in an already radiator-heavy case.

The case looks sweet. I have been eyeing this thread for the last few weeks, jonesing for new renderings everyday. I by no means want to take away from the design (it is just awesome), but the front is somewhat bland.

I think the circular grill takes away from rest of the case. I saw a Audi R-8 last week and the front fascia was pretty amazing. Maybe tie some of the features of the frontend into your case. I think a quadrangular grill that stretches 1/3 up from the bottom might add to the case, something like a lian-li, but not orthoganol make it a little skewed. Also for the mesh maybe use something retangular, something different from the normal hexagonally packed mesh. The R-8 color scheme was a daytona grey pearl with a black grill and small chrome hightlights, very nice.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I havent seen any radiator pictures in the thread, but from the looks, this is only a single rad on top and bottom? Would it be possible to double the rads?

Do you have an email?
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Double the rads ? Do you really need more than a quad, and triple radiator ? Are you trying to run a mini nuclear reactor in this case ?!

Xtreme Batrachian
    Quote Originally Posted by vinister View Post
    I'd rather see it made out of composite material, some kind of very strong plastic, with aluminum sides. But thats just me.
    Actually aluminium composite sheet (two aluminium sheets with a polyethylene core sandwiched in between) is readily available.

Antec uses this product quite often on their cases.

Regarding "borrowing" design ideas, well... That is a fantastically grey area. I don't see LL taking SS to court over the "curved" case design...

I must admit, I quite like the design. However, being realistic, this case should be in the same price bracket as the LL V2010. Probably higher due to lower production runs.

And on the subject, I can't think on any other companies but LL and SS that have the tooling and the experience/expertise to pull a design like this. Antec probably has the tooling, but I don't know to what extent they would be interested in such a "niche" and premium design.

Still, a good effort. The MM Pinnacle does all what this case does, and it does it well, but your design is certainly more aesthetically pleasing (at least to my eyes).
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just a quick reminder as to what all the fuss is about. LOL

System :- Gunmetal Antec P182 : Antec Quattro 850 : Asus P5E Deluxe : Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 4004MHz (8.5 x 471 FSB) 1.4 volts (VID: 1.3v) : 8Gb 1100 OCZ Gold XTC @ 942MHz 2.0 volts (5-5-5-15) : Gainward GTX 570 GS GLH (GPU: 800MHz, Shader: 1600MHz, Memory: 2000MHz) : 1x 128Gb Crucial RealSSD + Asus U3S6 (OS) : 1x 1Tb & 2x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints (Storage) : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Cooling : 4x Sharkoon Eagle 2000's (Case) : 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (R120-T rad) : 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (RS 240 rad in push-pull) : Akasa Fan Control Pro : Stepped Aquacomputer Cuplex XT di : EK FC5X0 GTX GW - Nickel (GTX 570) : Swiftech MCP355 : 1x XSPC R120-T : 1x XSPC RS 240 : XSPC Bay Reservoir : XSPC 1/2" Tubing : Blue Feser One Coolant

Check out my water-cooling case design:- Here & Here
    Find SketchUp Computer Components Here
    Download my case design SketchUp files from Here

Xtreme Member
    the real deal about the design of this case is using it for liquid cooling.
    But if you want to take this case in the comercial league, you had to re edit the front of the case and the top chamber.
    Making a hole on the top part of the front so you can fit 3 more 5.25" drive Bays.
    One more PCI slot is need for certain mobos to run Tri-Sli (the classified one from evga).
    Radiator supports have to be modular so if you dont want the extra rads you can put 2 drive cages for lots of HDD.

PD: srry for my english
    PD2: my other idea is to take out the top chamber, and make the case just enough tall to fit a quad radiator on the top part: Ex. Cosmos S
    Last edited by jimmyxxx; 03-10-2009 at 07:37 PM.
    ePOWER EP-2000P10-T3 REVIEW at www.newegg.com

Pros: Powering my computer along with my air conditioner and my refrigerator, and I used it to jump start my truck once.

Cons: The only problem was the FBI at my door saying something about knocking out power for the east coast...not sure what thats about.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Actually, I would probably add one or two 5" drive bays below the current ones, with a modular
    HDD bay that can be installed in the top or bottom section of the case, as well as a little mesh
    behind the hole the in the motherboard tray where the CPU is.

The reason I think the extra 5" drive bays would be handy, is alot of people use fan
    controllers with watercooling, they can take one or two, and one may be used for
    a reservoir also. This doesn't give you any room for IR receivers or optical drives.

But seriously it looks awsome!

Xtreme Member
    So where can I buy one? lol j/k. Lovely case mate, I just looked at the pics and didn't read the forum so did you build this yourself?
    Current Build : Antec 900 | Intel (Q9450) @ 3.22GHz | Asus P5E3 Premium | OCZ 2x2GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Reaper 1600Mhz 7-7-7-24 | EVGA GTX 285 | 2x WD 150GB VelociRaptor | Samsung 1TB HD | HP DVD Lightscribe | Windows Vista Ultimate x64bit | Corsair HX620W |

Cooled By : Apogee GTZ | Koolance VID-NX285 | MCP355 Pump | XSPC Premium Res| Swiftech MCR320-QP Rad | Yate Loon D12SL-12D Fans | XSPC 7/16" Clear/UV Blue tubing | Bitspower Compression Fittings |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I was thinking the same thing. If you turn the top into a 360 rad, you could fit the 5.25 bays in the top chamber giving it the desired external bays. Or the space could be used for HDDs by those who want more storage. This was why I was wondering about double rads. So you could have a triple loop system.
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Xtreme Member
    Mount the top rad horizontally on the roof and pust some more drive bays, the always come in handy. Also having it horizontally i believe is better since you may get some tube blockage like that and there is clearly no reason to put it vertically since it will occupy too much space.That way you can actually have an extra PSU and extra HDD bays

Also try to use aluminum, it is more lightweight and easier to handle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I fear naught, I hope naught. I am Free"
    Nikos Kazantzakis

Quote Originally Posted by stangracin2 View Post
    parents only blame stuff on video games because they don't know how to play them

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I love your case and I enjoyed reading this thread to see the progression. Here are my suggestions (which, of course, you can disregard because let's face it: Everyone is a critic):

1- To solve the foot problem, why not go for hourglass design like they do on high-end A/V equipment? It works wonders on hardwood/ceramic/flat floors and it would give it some more style (i.e. http://www.edesignaudio.com/hourglass.gif)

2- Is there any chance that you can push the design towards something silent? I’m thinking extensive use of rubber and possibly even air-filters to keep the dust outside.

3- Maybe I don’t quite get it but it looks like the PSU area is made for a top-fan PSU while my current one is bottom-fan (my tj-09 has a bottom fan grill). I’d need to mount mine upside down and I’m thinking it would push warm air into the case. Is it possible to make the stand-off a grill and another hole/grill in the bottom part?

4- For the radiators, I love how that would work out. Let’s just make sure that a ½ID / ¾OD tube on straight or (at most) 45degree barbs would “fit” with the pre-cut holes in the divider.

5- As for the pump area, is it possible to make pre-cut holes to fasten the pump? Mine is currently on a pad that isn’t fastened but I’m thinking some kind of vibration dampening system could be made on this tower to help reduce the noise and make it even more pretty :P This could also be made for two pumps (I mean, at that point, what’s an extra 4 screw holes with soft plastic threads…)

6- I don’t think you need to extend the case even more than it is. Triple SLI is fun but really, it accounts for a minuscule amount of configurations these days (with double dual cards being the “norm”). I think that if anything, you should try to optimize it to reduce the dead space as much as possible.

7- For the backplate, a standard “enthusiast” setup would be 2x dual slot video cards, 1x single slot audio card, 1x esata/usb ports card and possibly 1x light controller. That means that with 6-7 holes, you’d have plenty. I know some folks will say that they need more for raid controllers, tv capture and whatnot but then they probably can re-arrange their cards to make it fit, or buy another case. There has to be some limits to a design at some point or else you’ll end up with a case like Homer Simpson’s car lol

On a side note, I was thinking how cool it would be to have either a detachable motherboard tray that “snaps-on” with some kind of locking system (clamps?). The Silverstone sliding trays are a decent start though.

Finally, I’m thinking that since this case is geared towards water-cooling enthusiasts, might as well go all the way and add some funky stuff to the front panel like a small gauge for GPM, a reservoir front-view or maybe a fill-port at the top? Something to give it some STYLE!

Keep the good work going

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    Mick I've got an idea for you, make the top radiator compartment with a horizontal rad, leave 2 side vents but make the compartment shorter.
    please consider this, it would make the case functionally the same yet smaller in size - this is always a good thing

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast