Thread: Bios suddenly cant find Seagate 1TB

Bios suddenly cant find Seagate 1TB

Hi, bought new comp a few months ago with 2x @

Disk 1: Primary
    Partion 1: 230GB (Windows)
    Partion 2: 700GB (Storage)

Disk 2
    Partion 1: 930GB (Used: 925GB)

Today when I fired up the computer, when bios was loading.. I noticed it took 2-3 sec to find Disk 1, it took 30 sec searching for Disk 2.. then it skipped disk 2 and went to loading Windows, only 1 HDD in windows

So the problem @ Disk 2 cannot be found in Bios neither in Windows as a result

The things I've done
    Changed Disk One's Power & SATA cable to Disk 2.. It starts fine, feeling and hearing it as it should, so no mechanical error, and it looks like it was when i bought it so no exterior damage at all, and the green thingy under it with the circuits looks fine also.

Help, please!

SLC
    read up on seagate 7200.11 firmware issues. Your drive is a brick now. RMA. They offered free data recovery for some period of time... I do not know the details. Read up on it yourself online.

Xtreme Member
    I would read up on it and contact Seagate before you RMA. There were a lot of people who were able to bring their drives back to life with a firmware flash and not lose any of their data.

So youre saying i can save it with a firmwire update? After reading this http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807 i got really scared :O

THING IS!!

When i saw this problem on different news sites, I did check both my discs using Seagates (SeaTools) with the Serial Numbers.. and both were Unaffected

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...207951&Hilite= am i on the right track? Is this just for my "Working" Disk or is it for the broken disk also?

My Firmware on Boths disks are: SD15 and in the link above it sais affected so.. Seagates own programs missed this, random..
    Last edited by wreckage; 02-10-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Firmware

Xtreme Addict
    if you got hit with the infamous SD15 FW bug then you should be able to recover the disks with the fix firmware, SD1a.. pretty sure... I actually need to flash my 500gb 7200.11 which has SD15 also to SD1A to avoid it dying randomly on me..

edit: hrm.. I might have spoken out of turn here... I think the issue I was thinking of only effected the 500gb models... but I would for sure at least try to flash to sd1a.. might be a problem if you comp can't see the disk tho..
    Last edited by revenant; 02-10-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Gigabyte x58 UD5 / core i7 920 @ 3.8 / 6G ddr3 / 100G Patriot Inferno + 500G WD / gtx470 SLI watercooled / x-fi / 1KW enermax / 5760x1080 surround

Gigabyte z68x-ud3-b3 / core i5 2400 @ 3.6 / 8G ddr3 / 120G Intel 510 + 120G Adata S599 + 2x 1T WD blue / Zotac gt430 / x-fi / 500w ocz / 1920x1200
    DFI pro875B / pressy 2.8 / 2g corsair xms pro / 6800gt agp / 150g raptor x / 500w ultra x-connect / lots of UV lighting / smiles
    MSI K7N2 Delta-L / Athlon xp2600+ / 1G ocz platinum / chaintech TNT2 / 2x Diamond Monster 3D II SLI / Audigy / more smiles

Quote Originally Posted by revenant View Post
    if you got hit with the infamous SD15 FW bug then you should be able to recover the disks with the fix firmware, SD1a.. pretty sure... I actually need to flash my 500gb 7200.11 which has SD15 also to SD1A to avoid it dying randomly on me..

edit: hrm.. I might have spoken out of turn here... I think the issue I was thinking of only effected the 500gb models... but I would for sure at least try to flash to sd1a.. might be a problem if you comp can't see the disk tho..
    It seems you cant do any firmwire fix on brick disks since they arent even found with bios, so only way is to send it to Seagate? or fix it yourself with wierd tools.. I guess my only 2 options is.. 1, Send it to Seagate / 2, Try to find someone in Sweden who fixed his, so he can help me fix mine

Anyone can confirm that the only way to fix it is using certain tools to try and reset it?

The disk i have thats working, I should try to fix it as soon as possible so it dosnt happen to it to?

Xtreme Member
    Last I read is seagate was taking the drives back and was offering data recovery?
    i7 940/Rampage 2 Extreme/Corsair 6g Dominator/Corsair HX100W/GTX 580/SSD

Quote Originally Posted by StickyRICE View Post
    Last I read is seagate was taking the drives back and was offering data recovery?
    Can someone explain the process? Do they "reset" the disk or do they tear it apart and get the info and put it into a new 1TB and send it back? If someone knows please tell me

Xtreme Enthusiast

hmmm

I would assume they either provide a device that just talks to the drive whether the drive likes it or not... or... they remove the PC board, and replace with a board with correct bios... the bad boards are then returned to Seagate, the roms are replaced with SMD rework, and then are used to make repairs to additional drives.

A freinds disk just croaked, even though I gave her advanced warning to fix it, she didn't get around to it, so... poof.

Guess she will get Seagate RMA and see what happens.
    GA-MA790GP-D4SH, 965BE, 3.8Ghz
    Ultra120E, 4x2G Gskill 1066
    2x 150G VRaptor raid, WD640AALS
    8800GT 735/940/1685, LG-BluRay

Quote Originally Posted by uwackme View Post
    I would assume they either provide a device that just talks to the drive whether the drive likes it or not... or... they remove the PC board, and replace with a board with correct bios... the bad boards are then returned to Seagate, the roms are replaced with SMD rework, and then are used to make repairs to additional drives.

A freinds disk just croaked, even though I gave her advanced warning to fix it, she didn't get around to it, so... poof.

Guess she will get Seagate RMA and see what happens.
    So ur saying they fix it? and send it back so i wont loose any of the content?

1. I send it to Seagate?
    2. They fix the firmware bios so its found in bios again?
    3. I get it back just the way i left it except new firmware?

Xtreme Enthusiast

hmmm

That's my understanding. It isn't data recovery, just force fixing the firmware on the drive and send it back with the data intact.

I wonder if its possible to swap controller board between two of the same drives?

If the "counter" for the error is saved on the disk rather than in flashrom on the controller board, then with a second drive the user (brave user) could put the bad board on a good drive, which now posts because the lower count is present, and flash the right firmware into it. Then swap it back onto the drive with the high count, but the new firmware ignores the count and the drive miraculously works now.

So tempted to try.
    GA-MA790GP-D4SH, 965BE, 3.8Ghz
    Ultra120E, 4x2G Gskill 1066
    2x 150G VRaptor raid, WD640AALS
    8800GT 735/940/1685, LG-BluRay

SLC
    Quote Originally Posted by uwackme View Post
    That's my understanding. It isn't data recovery, just force fixing the firmware on the drive and send it back with the data intact.

I wonder if its possible to swap controller board between two of the same drives?

If the "counter" for the error is saved on the disk rather than in flashrom on the controller board, then with a second drive the user (brave user) could put the bad board on a good drive, which now posts because the lower count is present, and flash the right firmware into it. Then swap it back onto the drive with the high count, but the new firmware ignores the count and the drive miraculously works now.

So tempted to try.
    firmware is on the platters not on the PCB.

sweet.. now my other disk broke.. .. need to send both back now =/ Just hoping it wont take long

Durban aka Dirtbin, South Africa. Ever heard of Durban Poison.
    Same thing happened to me on my 500gb main os drive. Did your pc also not shutdown and restart instead.? The only way i could put off my pc for a month before the drive died was with the psu switch. I thought the psu was the problem now im thinking it might of been the hdd messing with everything?