Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast

Thread: Post your PPD rates !!

Xtreme Member
    plus I just aquired 4x 3.0ghz quadcore xeons in the form of 2 dl160 g6's
    nice - make sure to configure it so that you can do the -bigadv flag (16 core minimum requirement, but HUGE points bonuses - if you can finish them early!!)

@5pot: yea, i was thinking about a 7970 for my media center, but i've been seeing a lot of negative reviews (most regarding build quality). i want to add something for my media server that can get decent points (on the GPU side), without spending a small fortune. who knows, maybe 780/770 prices will come down when the 800s come out - or maybe the 800s will be cheaper than the 700 series....i'm WAY sick of seeing $700+ top end cards. that's just too much. i can see it for the dual GPU cards, but it's just too much for a single GPU card. as far as haswell (and IB-E) - yea, i was seriously dissapointed too. the ONLY reason i might get a IB-E is for native PCIe3 support (and only because it's a drop in replacement for SB-E and my MB is already PCI3-ready) - but if it comes out and is not soldered (like mainstream IB wasn't) forget it...dissapointingly, Intel is seriously screwing their enthusiast crowd: SB-E (Nov 2011) is the only enthusiast part since Nehalem was released in Nov 2008. that's just unacceptable. and with IB-E not being much of an upgrade (if at all really)....well, yea....
    i7 3930@4.5GHz (EK Supreme HF), GTX690@1.2GHz (Koolance NX-690), 128G 4M + 2x128G 4M raid 0, Silverstone TJ07, Custom Enclosure w/MoRa, 18x GT AP-31, 401X2 dual PMP-400

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bds71 View Post
    nice - make sure to configure it so that you can do the -bigadv flag (16 core minimum requirement, but HUGE points bonuses - if you can finish them early!!)

@5pot: yea, i was thinking about a 7970 for my media center, but i've been seeing a lot of negative reviews (most regarding build quality). i want to add something for my media server that can get decent points (on the GPU side), without spending a small fortune. who knows, maybe 780/770 prices will come down when the 800s come out - or maybe the 800s will be cheaper than the 700 series....i'm WAY sick of seeing $700+ top end cards. that's just too much. i can see it for the dual GPU cards, but it's just too much for a single GPU card. as far as haswell (and IB-E) - yea, i was seriously dissapointed too. the ONLY reason i might get a IB-E is for native PCIe3 support (and only because it's a drop in replacement for SB-E and my MB is already PCI3-ready) - but if it comes out and is not soldered (like mainstream IB wasn't) forget it...dissapointingly, Intel is seriously screwing their enthusiast crowd: SB-E (Nov 2011) is the only enthusiast part since Nehalem was released in Nov 2008. that's just unacceptable. and with IB-E not being much of an upgrade (if at all really)....well, yea....
    TY for the tip

This poor proliant isnt going to know what to do when im finished with it. Im looking into getting a few wc blocks for the 1366's in it and turning this thing into a frankenstein. First I need to crack the bios so I can oc the cpu's ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

Xtreme Member
    sounds like fun
    i7 3930@4.5GHz (EK Supreme HF), GTX690@1.2GHz (Koolance NX-690), 128G 4M + 2x128G 4M raid 0, Silverstone TJ07, Custom Enclosure w/MoRa, 18x GT AP-31, 401X2 dual PMP-400

Xtreme Enthusiast
    sounds like fun
    no, fun would be being able to contend with your ppd again

sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!

Xtreme Member
    get a GTX 690 or a 7990 - i'm getting all my points from the 690 (turned off the CPU folding long ago)....probably be cheaper than a whole new PC (and the gaming's great too lol)

Xtreme Member
    oh, and not to worry about the points - my PC will be down for at least a month when i move back to the states - that should give you plenty of time to catch up hehe

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yea im actually saving currently for a nice set of 670ti's i think, but ill research more as the money becomes available from my side business ^_^.

Just brought another server online to start testing today. As of right now if im not working at my job im either studying or working on my website lol, so not much time to sit and tweak things or to even check on my F@H clients

Hi guys.

Haven't been here for a while since I started my journey into folding a few months ago. Looking back it was initially a kind of bumpy ride until I better understood the whole "process" around folding, ppd, performance/watt, etc ...

Tried a lot of different configurations: Single proc, 2P and 4P on the CPU side, while with GPUs AMD 7970, GTX 780 and Titans systems had 1,2 or 4 GPus inside. A few combinations did not work out as intended and so I had to iterate a few times to improve performance, efficiency, temperature and stability.

I still remember my first post here, when my first system achieved with 4x Titans plus a CPU 215k ppd. Things improved significantly over time. If # of systems is no issue, it is much easier to create a cost effective and stable system with 2 GPUs than one with four. While the Four-GPU systems looked impressive, folding is embarrassing parallel and can there for be split to different systems. Core17 made a huge impact with its introduction of QBR for GPUs which strongly influences the performance relations between the different GPU models. Versus previous cores, core17 advantages faster GPUs in terms of ppd more pronounced. Another observation related to overclocking. Nothing increased my total production more than to stop overclocking - I even started to underclock to improve performance. Sounds weird, but really helped a lot with reduced outages. They basically went down to zero and improved average production.

Titan's are currently able achieve to 200k ppd peak, for rock solid stability expect 180k ppd.
    GTX 780's can go as high as 170k ppd, for extended stability 145k ppd is the norm.
    7970 GHz edition are producing 105k ppd.

Energy efficiency is currently still the domain of 4P CPU systems. While the best GPU systems get up to 800 ppd / watt, 4P CPU systems can go as high as 1350 ppd / watt (+70%).

As of today, all different attempts combined produced about 123mio points, June was the best month with 53.4m points.

kind regards,
    Andy

Xtreme Enthusiast
    we're not worthy!

btw bds. Game on ^_^, ive made some modifications to the program itself to keep it hidden and will now be rolling it back out to client machines.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sold my 260GTX 216 for partial payment for a Zotac GTX 660 to put ot some points for the team, the 260 was struggling along so i spent the little i had for the upgrade. 20,000 + ppd output along with my AMD Athalon II X4 635 running @ 3.4 Ghz smoothly.

Now that i have my old Intel rig running again i should spit out a few more points soon. The E8400 and Zotac 8800 will be overclocked as far as i can get them without dropping work units.

I would like to just sell both of these and get one good system but money is short being out of work so it will have to wait.

In the meantime i will be on the lookout for a reasonable priced Q9550 or something and a better video card as my stuff on craigslist sells.

Xtreme Member
    ive made some modifications to the program itself to keep it hidden and will now be rolling it back out to client machines.
    outstanding!! i look forward to seeing you back in the trenches

@Jason: was/is your 260 and 8800 actually producing any points? whenever i use my 285 it sais ppd is "unknown" and it while its running WUs, it doesn't actually seem to be contributing any points...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @Jason: was/is your 260 and 8800 actually producing any points? whenever i use my 285 it sais ppd is "unknown" and it while its running WUs, it doesn't actually seem to be contributing any points...

My 260 was chugging along with no problems, i had both cards (260 &8800GT) for sale on CL and that was the one that sold first, the unsold one was going to stay with my backup P35 as that board has no onboard graphics.

I don't recall seeing "unknown" running the 260 card, if i recall it was spitting out 7-8000 ppd.

My 8800 GT has not been used for folding for some time now but a few years ago i had 3 of them folding on my MSI P6N Diamond mainboard, this is the best and last of the 3 cards.

Really i don't expect much out of the E8400/8800GT combo but something is better than nothing.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Got my spare intel system going again.

Set it up at my old overclock settings and so far so good.

The Zotac 8800 GT SSC does not overclock enough to make it worthwhile but my E8400 is running at the old setting of 3.6 Ghz with light voltage increase to the cpu & fsb.

If the CPU holds i may push it more but i would like to give it a while to be sure its stable at these settings first so i have a go to place. Never had any problems before with Vista so i dont expect any running 7.

The points seem sorta low lately, we need more folders.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah Angra is down again and with him goes 2m of our points lol.

Im slowly getting my new machines into play so ill slowly move up from 30k ppd to 300k over the next two weeks or so.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I see everyone has their numbers plummeting, GPU's not getting cores too?

Xtreme Member
    mine plumetted because my main PC is down again. i think the power supply is kapoot. damn thing won't power on - then after a week or so it will come on and run like a champ....till it don't again (i made the mistake of rebooting my PC). damndest thing i ever saw.

Xtreme Cruncher
    My ppd should be quite steady... I had only a very short outage due to the f@h_server maintenance...

Edit: Sorry to hear that bds...
    Last edited by sc00p; 08-29-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    mine plumetted because my main PC is down again. i think the power supply is kapoot. damn thing won't power on - then after a week or so it will come on and run like a champ....till it don't again (i made the mistake of rebooting my PC). damndest thing i ever saw.
    Well damn . How large of a PSU does that thing require?

Xtreme Member
    i have a 1200W (previously had a 12 TEC - Boreas - unit to run as well as everything else). been running it for only a few years though. didn't think PSU's went out that quickly normally? and it doesn't act like it's bad - it acts more like there's a short somewhere (or something similar - an intermittent issue) oh well, it'll likely come back up in a few days

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i have a 1200W (previously had a 12 TEC - Boreas - unit to run as well as everything else). been running it for only a few years though. didn't think PSU's went out that quickly normally? and it doesn't act like it's bad - it acts more like there's a short somewhere (or something similar - an intermittent issue) oh well, it'll likely come back up in a few days
    Yeah they typically will last for at least 5 years, ive yet to have one die totally tbh.

There is a tool you can buy Here that will actually show you the charge on each rail, etc. Ive used it many times in the past and its a god-send when testing for hardware problems.

Xtreme Member
    thanks for the link - I may get that at some point, but probably not just yet since I'm moving in just a couple months. once I get to my next location though (if it's still acting up) I will more than likely get something to troubleshoot before buying a new PSU. I'm still not convinced it's not simply a loose connection somewhere, so taking the system apart and putting it back together may (or may not) fix it.

Xtreme Member
    My points are half what they were before the upgrade to 7.3.6.

I may try and downgrade back to 7.3.5.
    MB: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / Bios ver:6102 / Cpu:Ryzen 2700x @ 4.2Ghz (24/7) (1.373), FSB 100x42
    Ram: GSkill PC4-25600 2x8Gb @ 3200MHz, 14-14-14-14-34-1T, 1.352v
    Gfx: EVGa 1080Ti GTX FTW DT
    SSD: Samsung 960 M2 Evo 500 GB
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    Cooling: EKWB L360 Kit
    Temps: Cpu: 30c Ambient / 28c @ Idle / 65c @ 100% Load

Xtreme Member
    that has nothing to do with the version of the client - it is 100% about the WU's. they ran out of the old ones apparently (there was some discussion about not getting any WUs for a bit). they are probably running a different set of cores now and that's why you see a difference in PPD.

Xtreme Member
    well, my second PC went down this week - now, all i have is my overheating laptop (the dGPU gets real hot, real quick). i can still serf the web and what-not, but until i get my PCs fixed i won't be doing much else. i think it's the crappy power coming into my house. both times my PCs went down i came home and the power had been lost (not sure if spike or something else). unfortunately, the first outtage took out my main PC (i think its the PSU) and the second time took out my media PC (sux, now i can't watch my shows or anime i have on that PC_ - i think my main HDD is fried on my media PC (or the mainboard). not really sure what the problem with that one could be. /sigh/ and i move in a couple months to boot....this sux lol.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well, my second PC went down this week - now, all i have is my overheating laptop (the dGPU gets real hot, real quick). i can still serf the web and what-not, but until i get my PCs fixed i won't be doing much else. i think it's the crappy power coming into my house. both times my PCs went down i came home and the power had been lost (not sure if spike or something else). unfortunately, the first outtage took out my main PC (i think its the PSU) and the second time took out my media PC (sux, now i can't watch my shows or anime i have on that PC_ - i think my main HDD is fried on my media PC (or the mainboard). not really sure what the problem with that one could be. /sigh/ and i move in a couple months to boot....this sux lol.
    Wow man that sucks

You should look into getting one of the cheaper UPS battery backups. We have all of our clients using them and I've yet to have a surge go through one of their resistors.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast