Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your PPD rates !!

Quote Originally Posted by bds71 View Post
    OCing a 3930 and a GTX690 results in about +220W power draw (above stock) which equals about 52$/mo (GE) and 9.50$/mo (US).
    is it worth it? that's entirely up to the individual
    while its not enough to make me shy away from folding (or make purchases based on power consumption rather than performance desires) it is enough to say it matters. (it just doesn't matter enough to make me stop )
    With these high energy prices in countries like Germany the OC argument for folding makes even less "economic" sense if the intention is to contribute for extended periods. That's why a metric like PPD/Watt would potentially help guide some guys in their choices to make.

From a folding perspective, taken your 220W increase in power draw as a base:

Option 1) OC the existing rig, take the 220W hit and get how much % as PPD improvement? probably less than 20%
    Option 2) Keep your system at stock frequencies. Get an additional 660 Ti which will take about 120W when folding and gives you an almost 50% PPD increase vs. your GTX 690.

Cheers,
    Andy
    Last edited by Andreas; 03-23-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Xtreme Legend
    Being nosy here...

Anyone got data on ppd from the beta of the future planned open-cl folding? http://proteneer.com/blog/?p=1767

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Posted yesterday OpenCL FAHBench numbers for GTX Titan

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.ph...23440&start=45
    Check the first post of this thread for an overview of different GPUs

FAHBench 1.1.1

Asus GTX Titan, 836 MHz, 1502 MHz, Driver 314.21 Beta (OpenCL support for Kepler)

OpenCL SP:
    Explicit: 22.7123 ns/day
    Implicit: 105.202 ns/day

@ 1097 MHz / 1565 MHz
    Explicit: 29.1657 ns/day
    Implicit: 136.409 ns/day

According to other sources on the web, the Titan & Cuda is above 210 ns/day
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1881311

Andy
    Last edited by Andreas; 03-23-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I reduced my cpu to 6 cores instead of 8, and to 92% usage. Seems to have up'd my ppd some but not much as my damn GPU is still sitting at 32% and my proc is at 85-90%.

The part im not understanding is why this is so, im showing a pretty even distribution between the 3 gpu cores (single card) with the Vram on the card at ~15% used....

EDIT:

Made my proc use all 8 cores but bumped it down to 80%, restarted both (paused and start) and im up to 25k ppd now.
    Last edited by Gimmpy224; 03-23-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

Xtreme Member
    Made my proc use all 8 cores but bumped it down to 80%, restarted both (paused and start) and im up to 25k ppd now.
    without going back to check (just being lazy) - I assume that's an improvement over your previous configuration? (proc at 100%)

Option 1) OC the existing rig, take the 220W hit and get how much % as PPD improvement? probably less than 20%
    Option 2) Keep your system at stock frequencies. Get an additional 660 Ti which will take about 120W when folding and gives you an almost 50% PPD increase vs. your GTX 690.
    that's an honest assessment, however I could not speak (yet) to its accuracy. currently, I am running with only the GPUs OCed and the 3930 at stock speeds (I'm waiting to OC until I can install the indigo xtreme - maybe in the next few days). with this configuration I'm only running at +70W since the 690 is fairly efficient even at OC speeds/volts. as such I was able to hit 94k ppd yesterday (!!) (though it still varies quite a bit since I'm home to use the computer, and likely due to different F@H cores as well) - note: previously (without running the 690 at all for folding) I hit a max of 36.8k ppd avg for the month of august with over 1.1 million for the month. it would be too hard right now (running for a week straight without using the PC) to determine the effect of OCing vs. ppd. once I go back to work (in a couple weeks) I can set the OC or stock and then let it run. I will do it for both GPU and CPU (assuming I've installed the IX) to see what difference the OC makes and if it is worth it vs. the power consumption as a cost per ppd comparison. I know the CPU watt/ppd will not be good. sandy bridge - E takes a lot to OC (75% more power vs 33% more freq). the GPU on the other hand, just may be quite good....

as for substituting a 660Ti for the OC of a 690: remember, the OC on the 690 only costs 70W vs. the 120W of the 660 and that you would still have to overcome the 300$ cost (with a quick Newegg search) of the 660. and, I'm not certain the 660 would fair as well vs the OC as you might think. like I said before, I'll run some numbers once I go back to work in a couple weeks.
    i7 3930@4.5GHz (EK Supreme HF), GTX690@1.2GHz (Koolance NX-690), 128G 4M + 2x128G 4M raid 0, Silverstone TJ07, Custom Enclosure w/MoRa, 18x GT AP-31, 401X2 dual PMP-400

Xtreme Enthusiast
    without going back to check (just being lazy) - I assume that's an improvement over your previous configuration? (proc at 100%)
    Its a huge improvement really. After looking around apparently ATI cards are trash when it comes to folding and my 5850hd is known to only get around 4k ppd, so my i7 920 now pushed to 4ghz will probably be the better option.

sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!

Xtreme Member
    ...so my i7 920 now pushed to 4ghz will probably be the better option.
    my 965 at 3.8 was getting pretty consistent 15-20k. I would imaging a 920@4 would be pretty close to that as well....
    i7 3930@4.5GHz (EK Supreme HF), GTX690@1.2GHz (Koolance NX-690), 128G 4M + 2x128G 4M raid 0, Silverstone TJ07, Custom Enclosure w/MoRa, 18x GT AP-31, 401X2 dual PMP-400

Xtreme Enthusiast
    my 965 at 3.8 was getting pretty consistent 15-20k. I would imaging a 920@4 would be pretty close to that as well....
    Ive got it at 13k right now, I was reading that if you run an odd number of cores it messes up the folding, and since I need at least 1 dedicated core for the GPU I bumped it down to only use 6 cores which took me from 6k to 13k, but my 5850hd @ 775/1125 is only getting 2k still (which is aggravating).

I also read that ATI cards are junk when it comes to folding and that I shouldnt expect more than 4k from it anyways, so F.

Im just baffled at the scores some of you get from a single machine, like 90k with just a single proc and gpu. Ive got to fold on 30 machines to reach that lol.

I did, however, just find out about the password and the bonus points, so hopefully Ill start collecting those shortly.

Xtreme Member
    I'm just baffled at the scores some of you get from a single machine, like 90k with just a single proc and gpu. I've got to fold on 30 machines to reach that lol.
    to be fair, it's actually two GPUs the 690 is the dual GPU core....and recently, the ppd (prediction in control, not actual output) hit 122k ppd - HOLY COW!! but, don't beat yourself up too bad - the newest generations of CPU and GPU are very powerful - especially compared to 2-3 generations ago.

I did, however, just find out about the password and the bonus points, so hopefully Ill start collecting those shortly.
    this actually helps quite a bit - if I'm not mistaken it nearly doubled my ppd when I enabled it (?)

Xtreme Member
    like I said before, I'll run some numbers once I go back to work in a couple weeks.
    well, I OCed my CPU on Wednesday (still haven't installed the IX yet, but wanted to test the CPU to see what it is capable of). stock boost is 3.8. I pushed it to 4.5 for a 19% OC. yesterday I purposely left the PC alone and let it run for a full day on the OC - I hit 125k ppd. my avg (when not using the PC) was about 95k prior to the OC, so this is an increase of 31.5% ppd. also, since this is a fairly mild OC for sandy bridge, my voltages are still fairly low at 1.27 so my power consumption should not be affected (too) much (my CPU core temps went up about 5-8C). note: this is with the CPU at 90% and both GPUs running - not solely the CPU at 100%. I haven't run any benchmarks yet to test stability, but I've had F@H running 24/7. so far everything works fine with no crashes.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well, I OCed my CPU on Wednesday (still haven't installed the IX yet, but wanted to test the CPU to see what it is capable of). stock boost is 3.8. I pushed it to 4.5 for a 19% OC. yesterday I purposely left the PC alone and let it run for a full day on the OC - I hit 125k ppd. my avg (when not using the PC) was about 95k prior to the OC, so this is an increase of 31.5% ppd. also, since this is a fairly mild OC for sandy bridge, my voltages are still fairly low at 1.27 so my power consumption should not be affected (too) much (my CPU core temps went up about 5-8C). note: this is with the CPU at 90% and both GPUs running - not solely the CPU at 100%. I haven't run any benchmarks yet to test stability, but I've had F@H running 24/7. so far everything works fine with no crashes.

Very nice! starting to get it up there!

Im looking into upgrading my current build to one of the new intel chips when they hit in June. Currently though I may upgrade this 5850 to one or two 660ti's

Xtreme Member
    Currently though I may upgrade this 5850 to one or two 660ti's
    why not just go with a 680? I haven't looked at the benchmarks in quite a while, but wouldn't a 680 be about the same performance - both gaming and folding, but (maybe) less cost, and smaller power envelope as well?

edit: just checked some 660 reviews - wow, didn't expect that. just did a quick game review, so I didn't check GPGPU performance, but I would assume it is on-par. yea - two 660's are definitely more powerful than a single (even heavily OCed) 680. unless the 680's are selling for 400$ now, you would certainly be better off with two 660's.
    Last edited by bds71; 03-29-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    why not just go with a 680? I haven't looked at the benchmarks in quite a while, but wouldn't a 680 be about the same performance - both gaming and folding, but (maybe) less cost, and smaller power envelope as well?

edit: just checked some 660 reviews - wow, didn't expect that. just did a quick game review, so I didn't check GPGPU performance, but I would assume it is on-par. yea - two 660's are definitely more powerful than a single (even heavily OCed) 680. unless the 680's are selling for 400$ now, you would certainly be better off with two 660's.
    Yeah I had done some research and came to the same conclusion. Im just hoping that the next gen intels that will hit this summer will be worth the wait.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    large client of mine just ordered 5 elitebooks with i7's cant wait to get my folding on them lol.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Way to go you guys, you're really stepping it up in your production!!

I've been out of the hardware scene for a couple of years now - looks like I've missed a lot.
    What would be an easy, cost-effective way to get a good jump in my PPD? Just grab an next-gen Nvidia GPU? Or new mobo/CPU?

"[crunching is] a minor service to humanity as a side effect of our collective hardware fetish" - Blauhung

Xtreme Member
    a 660ti looks to put a good amount of ppd down, but I still think a 4-core/8 thread ivy bridge with a slight OC can do (much?) better. Haswell (next gen Intel CPU) is scheduled to come out this summer (22nm process). history has shown approx. 15-20% improvements per generation, and that is only a few months away. I would wait. it's a mainstream platform, so mobo/cpu cost will be normal (not high end like SB/IB-E). Haswell (4000 series i5/i7) and a 660ti would put out good ppd for sure - and should do so with fairly low power draw, and will also give you a decent gaming rig if that's your thing!! note: Maxwell (nVidias next gen gpu core) won't be coming out 'till '14, so no major improvements in gpgpu unless you want to spend a grand on a titan (ppd MONSTER!!) which was designed for gpgpu.

edit: I just noticed your current (if sig is correct) rigs - upgrading to at least IB (ivy bridge - current 3000 series Intel CPUs) should give you a VERY noticeable jump in ppd. note: ivy bridge had some QC issues: they were using crappy paste beneath the heat spreader (sandy bridge heat spreader was soldered) - a lot of water cooler enthusiasts removed the heat spreader and either applied liquid metal or some other high quality paste and re-mounted the heat spreader and got some pretty dramatically different (much better) results - some times up to 20C!! I don't know if they (Intel) ever fixed this issue or not, but I would still recommend IB over SB (sandy bridge - 2000 series CPUs) actually, I would recommend Haswell if you can wait....
    Last edited by bds71; 04-04-2013 at 11:06 PM.

I'd be careful with a GPU selection for now.

With FAH version 1.7 the architecture will change for NVidia GPUs from Cuda to OpenCL as an interface. While fully supported by AMD with OpenCL v1.2, NVidia is currently on version 1.1 and has not yet announced support for 1.2.

Most likely, there will be Cuda based work packages for a longer time, until all these older projects run out.

Xtreme Member
    thanks for the heads up!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    I'd be careful with a GPU selection for now.

With FAH version 1.7 the architecture will change for NVidia GPUs from Cuda to OpenCL as an interface. While fully supported by AMD with OpenCL v1.2, NVidia is currently on version 1.1 and has not yet announced support for 1.2.

Most likely, there will be Cuda based work packages for a longer time, until all these older projects run out.
    Good thing I have not made any purchases yet. Unfortunately I usually go off of bang for buck rather than F@H performance, so hopefully both will be fully supported at some point.

Xtreme Member
    anyone else notice points have been pretty crappy for about a week now? or is it just me? different cores....the 7600 cores were giving 14k credit....lately I've been getting 8000 cores which only give 3875 credit (and take about 2 hours) I hit over 120k twice during the last week of march, but can't seem to get higher than 80k this week...haven't changed anything on my PC except OCing the CPU (solid as a rock) by about 18% if it keeps up with the crappy points i'll remove the OC and see if it goes back up. i'm guessing it's the cores being DLed though.

Hackintosh Lover
    Between London & Eastbourne, United Kingdom
    Quote: I did, however, just find out about the password and the bonus points, so hopefully Ill start collecting those shortly.

Hi guys, a very n00bish question but could you explain (or point me in the right direction) about the bonus points? Also by password I assume you are referring to the pass phrase you can setup on the client of users and team section?...
    Why Not Try a Hackintosh for A Change?? Steps HERE!!
    Want to installing Mountain/Lion from a DVD or USB on you Apple PC?? Steps Here!

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Winners of EURO 08 | World Cup 10 | EURO 12
    Quote: Killin' Tube Kinks One Coil At A Time
    Hackintosh Lover
    "Dumb people" shouldn't use "Smart Phones"

New Personal Wallpapers Selection

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by davidkozat View Post
    Quote: I did, however, just find out about the password and the bonus points, so hopefully Ill start collecting those shortly.

Hi guys, a very n00bish question but could you explain (or point me in the right direction) about the bonus points? Also by password I assume you are referring to the pass phrase you can setup on the client of users and team section?...
    Thats the one!

They use it to authenticate the user in a bonus program they provide for folders that return the cores in a certain amount of time and that have higher end machines running the software.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    anyone else notice points have been pretty crappy for about a week now? or is it just me? different cores....the 7600 cores were giving 14k credit....lately I've been getting 8000 cores which only give 3875 credit (and take about 2 hours) I hit over 120k twice during the last week of march, but can't seem to get higher than 80k this week...haven't changed anything on my PC except OCing the CPU (solid as a rock) by about 18% if it keeps up with the crappy points i'll remove the OC and see if it goes back up. i'm guessing it's the cores being DLed though.
    and yeah, my points are taking huge hits atm and I have no idea why. I began messing with my setup at the house to see what I could come up with and ive got nothing.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    we lost someone >_< our team ppd avg is down nearly 200k

Xtreme Member
    and yeah, my points are taking huge hits atm and I have no idea why. I began messing with my setup at the house to see what I could come up with and I've got nothing.
    yea - I'm guessing it's just the cores that are currently DLing - crappy cores with crappy points (sometimes it's just like that) - I checked a few charts and it seems everyone is down a bit...

we lost someone >_< our team ppd avg is down nearly 200k
    yea, Angra (who normally produces an average of about 250k ppd) hasn't produced anything since about mar 31st. he averages more than the rest of us put together (or very near) so if his farm breaks (or if he turns it off for whatever reason - i'm assuming he must be having issues) then the team suffers.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast