Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Anand: PII vs. Q9550 vs. i7 crossfire, Phenom II = smoother

Xtreme Addict

Anand: PII vs. Q9550 vs. i7 crossfire, Phenom II = smoother

Hmmmm:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3506&p=1

Quote Originally Posted by anand
    During testing, the Intel systems would generate minimum frame rates at this resolutions about 23~24fps on a couple of runs and then jump to their current results on the others. We noticed this in game play also; the Intel systems would hitch and pause at times. We would shutdown the game, clear the prefetch folder, and reboot. The game would operate fine in the next series of testing although we still had stuttering in intensive ground scenes at times. We tried new images, different CPUs, memory changes, and the Sapphire HD 4870 cards with the same results. The Phenom II 940 had extremely stable frame rates in each test and action was very fluid during game play.
    After playing through the several levels on each platform, we thought the Phenom II 940 offered a better overall gaming experience in this title than the Intel Q9550 based on smoother game play. It is difficult to quantify without a video capture, but player movement and weapon control just seemed to be more precise. Of course, if you have the funds, we would recommend the i7 platform for best possible performance.
    The Phenom II is slightly ahead of the Q9550 when overclocked although it is at a 7% clock speed disadvantage. We have noticed the CryEngine 2 will respond to improved memory bandwidth and latencies as we clock up the processors. The i7 holds a 14% advantage in average frame rates while the Phenom II once again impresses us with the best minimum frame rates when overclocked. However, not having a 20fps minimum frame rate is a disappointment with our multi-GPU setups. The NVIDIA 260/285 solutions scale better in SLI than the ATI HD 4870 products. We hope that ATI can improve their drivers for this game.

Looks like Anand agrees with what I have been saying all along... my AMD platform (in some cases) offers me smoother gameplay with more framerate stability and higher minimum framerates than my intel system, and in some titles my intel system hitches and stutters.

Discuss.
    Last edited by iandh; 02-02-2009 at 10:39 AM.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by iandh View Post
    Hmmmm:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3506&p=1

Looks like Anand agrees with what I have been saying all along... my AMD platform (in some cases) offers me smoother gameplay with more framerate stability and higher minimum framerates than my intel system, and in some titles my intel system hitches and stutters.

Discuss.
    AMD ftw
    AMD 1090T@4.0ghz
    Enzotech sapphire/Mo-Ra extreme rad
    Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    ht 2400mhz / nb 2400mhz
    12gb Gskill 1300mhz
    HIS HD5970
    Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250
    case: XCLIO A380PLUS-BK

4.61ghz water

4.5ghz superpi 1M 15.585
    http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...rpi4500mhz.jpg
    25,396 06 Phenom 965@ 4.4ghz HIS 5970@960/1260
    21,893 Vantage, Phenom 965 4.2ghz HIS 5970 @960/1260

Phenom 2 125w 965 test results
    http://futuremark.yougamers.com/foru...d.php?t=117414
    Phenom 2 140w 965 test results
    http://futuremark.yougamers.com/foru...d.php?t=109214
    Phenom 2 AM2+ 940 cold air results
    http://futuremark.yougamers.com/foru...ad.php?t=97430

If I dont get every single drop out of my cpu I feel like someone is stealing from me

Xtremely Kool
    Im staying out of this, its hot in here already.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan7171 View Post
    AMD ftw
    What cracks me up is anandtech actually used the term "smoother"

You know, the one that AMD users on this forum have been chastised repeatedly for using... and Anand is generally considered an Intel biased site.

(I personally have found them to be fair in most cases btw)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
    Im staying out of this, its hot in here already.
    why? this is the AMD section we cant be happy about good performance??.....Not my fault if AMD bashers come here to lurk in the shadows

I particularly like this little nugget

Now that we have discussed the numbers, what about game play experience? As we alluded to earlier, the Intel platforms had problems with minimum frame rates throughout testing, not just in the benchmarks, but also during game play in various levels and on-line. We have not nailed it down yet, but we have noticed this problem consistently. In the meantime, the Phenom II X4 940 had rock solid frame rates and offered the smoothest game play experience.
    discuss even more.
    Last edited by Titan7171; 02-02-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    AMD 1090T@4.0ghz
    ht 2400mhz / nb 2400mhz
    12gb Gskill 1300mhz
    HIS HD5970
    Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250

4.61ghz water

4.5ghz superpi 1M 15.585

If I dont get every single drop out of my cpu I feel like someone is stealing from me

Xtremely Kool
    why this is the AMD section we cant be happy about good performance??.....Not my fault if AMD bashers come here to lurk in the shadows

discuss even more.
    I like it to, but its AMD Basher attractant.

Xtreme Addict
    I like it to, but its AMD Basher attractant.
    You know I dont lurk in the Intel section waiting around for someone to say something about AMD which when they do it, its just nonfactual nonsense bashing.

Here we have some legitamacy to the claims of many people saying the system just runs smoother. I dont think we should have to downplay the fact that not only have people been saying it for a while but tests have been run and Anand agrees.

Not saying thats the case with every syystem but..........my games play buttery smooth
    AMD 1090T@4.0ghz
    ht 2400mhz / nb 2400mhz
    12gb Gskill 1300mhz
    HIS HD5970
    Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250

4.61ghz water

4.5ghz superpi 1M 15.585

Xtremely Kool
    You know I dont lurk in the Intel section waiting around for someone to say something about AMD which when they do it, its just nonfactual nonsense bashing.

Here we have some legitamacy to the claims of many people saying the system just runs smoother. I dont think we should have to downplay the fact that not only have people been saying it for a while but tests have been run and Anand agrees.

Not saying thats the case with every syystem but..........my games play buttery smooth
    There is an Intel section!

Xtreme Addict
    There is an Intel section!

What im trying to say is I dont secretly read threads in the Intel section waiting for someone to say something about AMD just so I can be there to protect it. And people shouldnt do that here either. If they do then they really got some issues about their own self confidence in their purchasing decisions

Anyhow I understand what you mean, not good to lure someone into a flamewar.

Still though its nice to see some positives about these cpu's
    Last edited by Titan7171; 02-02-2009 at 11:42 AM.
    AMD 1090T@4.0ghz
    ht 2400mhz / nb 2400mhz
    12gb Gskill 1300mhz
    HIS HD5970
    Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250

4.61ghz water

4.5ghz superpi 1M 15.585

Xtreme Addict
    There have been rumors about this all along.

Now lets wait for the Intel faboys to find this thread and we will have a flamewar GO GO GO!

Xtreme Member
    The problem here is, can the smoothness be measured in a convenient way, so AMD would finally get some high numbers and long stretched graph bars right in the face of the audience!

If this is really an decisive advantage, AMD should change to a new slogan, like Smoother choice!
    Last edited by fellix_bg; 02-02-2009 at 11:53 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    There have been rumors about this all along.

Now lets wait for the Intel faboys to find this thread and we will have a flamewar GO GO GO!
    T minus 15 minutes and counting

Anyhow,AT clearly saw the effect of smoother gameplay ,now we can quote a generally intel biased website and provide the link to amd haters when they engage AMD users over smoother "argument"

BTW,the AT quote from above was so amusing to me that I put it in sig

Xtreme Addict
    everyone rate the thread now before the usual suspects come and 1 star it lol.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Xtreme Addict
    why? this is the AMD section we cant be happy about good performance??.....Not my fault if AMD bashers come here to lurk in the shadows

Now that we have discussed the numbers, what about game play experience? As we alluded to earlier, the Intel platforms had problems with minimum frame rates throughout testing, not just in the benchmarks, but also during game play in various levels and on-line. We have not nailed it down yet, but we have noticed this problem consistently. In the meantime, the Phenom II X4 940 had rock solid frame rates and offered the smoothest game play experience.

discuss even more.
    Damn I missed that one...

This whole article pretty much screams: AMD = Smoothy McSmooth Smooth

Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    T minus 15 minutes and counting

Anyhow,AT clearly saw the effect of smoother gameplay ,now we can quote a generally intel biased website and provide the link to amd haters when they engage AMD users over smoother "argument"

BTW,the AT quote from above was so amusing to me that I put it in sig
    Finding this article is like the AMD section just successfully completed a test detonation of the first atomic bomb
    Last edited by iandh; 02-02-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Smoother? Uh-oh!

Yes, I agree, but Intel people won't let us have that.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    come on now guys, you all know that we are all out of touch with reality and need a Intel user to come fix our heads.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Xtreme Addict

What im trying to say is I dont secretly read threads in the Intel section waiting for someone to say something about AMD just so I can be there to protect it. And people shouldnt do that here either.
    Yeah those guys are a sorry group. They really drag these forums into the mud.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Damn I missed that one...
    You seem to miss this one as well

Quote Originally Posted by AnandTech
    However, looking through the performance results and game play experiences, we have to mention just how fast Intel's Core i7 is right now. It’s results were just remarkable in Far Cry 2 and it consistently scored at the top in CrossFire mode in the other games even though it has the lowest core clock speed. If platform pricing were better, then the Core i7 series would have a clear recommendation for an upgrade if you were considering a multi-GPU setup.

At least AMD is doing a great job against the Core 2 finally.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    You seem to miss this one as well

I'm not worried about highest average framerate, only framerate stability...

i7's massive power didn't seem to do squat for intel's stuttering issues.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    HEY I guess you didn't get the memo:

It no longer matters if you can overclock higher and "win" a benchmark. The only important thing now is a "clock per clock" comparison.

I think this was put out in an Intel fanboy all points bulletin.
    FX-8350, Powercolor ATI R9 290X LCS, OCZ Vertex 4, Crosshair V Forumula-Z, AMD Radeon DDR3-2133 2x8Gb, Corsair HX1000W, Thermaltake Xaser VI, Xonar D2X, Water Cooling 140.3

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm not worried about highest average framerate, only framerate stability...

i7's massive power didn't seem to do squat for intel's stuttering issues.
    Exactly!Frame rate stability is much more important than a e-pen number in the form of max. fps.Couple of frames higher max fps. means jack if you stutter at times..

Xtreme Addict
    Out of context, All the quotes in the op are from one game, You guys already know this, Go on yell Intel fanboy. Seriously, Read the whole thing, In some Intel win min frames and in others AMD win, It does not support the whole slower but smother argument.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    come on now guys, you all know that we are all out of touch with reality and need a Intel user to come fix our heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post
    Out of context, All the quotes in the op are from one game, You guys already know this, Go on yell Intel fanboy. Seriously, Read the whole thing, In some Intel win min frames and in others AMD win, It does not support the whole slower but smother argument.
    Ah, thank you.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gallag View Post
    Maybe you should read the whole thing... they mention the PII getting higher minimum frames several times in the article.

Not to mention which, the game I quoted is one that shows an intel logo when you start it up...

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Did you check the charts ?
    Most of the times ( I only gave it a quick read though ) the i7 had the highest min fps.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast